YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17367348 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2381  September 02, 2020, 11:20:05 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Archie Andrews

#2382  September 03, 2020, 02:56:53 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
They're really pushing the ridiculousness of what Archie Sonic can do.  Kinda leading a bit too strong if the preview already out the gate remarks his stats are utterly incalculable.  Wonder now if this is their intended "joke fight" of the season and Wally was chosen to be the fall guy for a joke episode.  And look, there's that silly water ball feat Ben had a mental breakdown over in DBC a while back over.  And the Judge Dredd Sonic one too, for that matter.

I mean, props if they can explain Wally winning, Archie Sonic just kinda coasts on Mary Sue logic a bit heavy for laughs.

Been reading the handful random Flash things I have.  Noted in the start of Rebirth it was brought up that speedsters are kinda not in actual control over their Speed Force's desires; if you hit a certain speed, you are not allowed to slow down any more unless it wants you to or you have other outside help.  Not....quite sure how sentient the Speed Force is, then, but I can imagine a scenario with Flash locked into a motion outside his control and yet Sonic is still faster so he takes advantage of that to kill.

I think I'm just mostly looking forward to their necessary calcs on how fast Death the individual is in the D.C. universe, and if they're including Sandman and other wonky interpretations.

New episode.  Oi vey.

I notice they switch between atoms and molecules like they're the same thing.  Also noted that was an oversight on the Beerus/Galaxia episode, too.  Also they didn't try to rate Death's speed, just both in the fight have infinite speed.  That's a shame.
Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:27:41 pm by Long John Killer
#2383  September 07, 2020, 07:38:39 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Next up is Winter Soldier vs Red Hood.  Chances are good that Jason Todd takes an easy win because, you know.  DC.
#2384  September 07, 2020, 08:08:39 pm
    • USA
I think many other debaters will go over every other little detail to comb out of that episode, but I think the main ones that're bothering me, besides the weird repeat of "atoms = molecules" (I don't think I'm going to get over that Galaxia episode, it's just SO wrong) is the about-face on the Chaos Force according to them mid-episode went from magic to naturally occurring energy because Mega Man.  Having to explain "magic" at all is a lost cause, but switching sides like that just seems really wrong.

Also, fate powers.  That's....a bit of a stretch on both sides.  Archie controls the fate on his universe, so it shouldn't necessarily mean anything to someone outside of it like Flash, but Flash's feats of escaping it stem from his Speed Force nonsense explicitly.  He can't, like, be fated to stub his toe on a piece of furniture, and choose for that not to happen.  If we're doing that whole universal equalizing thing versus debates do, then.....Flash has jack he can do about it from start to end.  He really doesn't have much to counter "Sonic chooses your fate is you die this episode".  If we're not equalizing them, then both their fate feats can just be crossed out.
Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:15:54 pm by Long John Killer
#2385  September 10, 2020, 09:56:32 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
weird kinda cross promotion

#2386  September 11, 2020, 04:22:41 am
    • USA
Not to be unfair to the show without watching it or reading the comic it's apparently based on, but god am I just so done with the "Evil Superman" trope still being dragged around as the main go-to for D.C. representation.  So now here's Injustice the T.V. show parody being the new hot product getting hit by the advertisement stick.  Wonderful.  That not-Speedster dude killing someone by running into her and splattering her then just moving on with a shrug and a "whoops" makes it seem like this show's a comedy, too.  Or if it's a drama and that's their moment of levity before returning to the serious stuff.....woof, that's not landing.

This has nothing to do with Death Battle as it's not interfering with their schedule or anything as they repeat a few times, do whatever they want with their bonus promo, I'm just annoyed at the show at a conceptual level.
#2387  September 11, 2020, 03:10:28 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
    • South Africa
Thats an unfair criticism really if you haven't even watched or read it.
It's actually really good, and not as black and white as just "Evil Superman"...
A-Train running through Robin is the main driving point of the protagonist Hughie, so just watching a promo or trailer you dont really get the scene.
#2388  September 11, 2020, 10:32:40 pm
    • USA
It probably is, and I'm willing to bet there's some degree of effort put into it and it's a fine enough show for the audience its targeting.  It's just also one of a thousand.  You get one of these "What if the Justice League was BAD!?!?!?" scenarios and I'm already zoned out, the topic has been bled dry at this point.  In this case, it just looks like Watchmen's version of the Justice League.  Wowee.

If that comical splatter was supposed to be a serious moment it really doesn't come across in the shot there.  Looks like a scene from Epic Movie or one of its many spinoffs.

So, the Flash vs Sonic Q&A had a lot to cover, but one thing that's frankly bizarre beyond the rest of the questions is they say the end of the fight isn't Flash going back or forward in time to overpower base Sonic....it's he has the power to force someone to live their entire lifespan instantly by touching them?  Huh?
Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:16:55 am by Long John Killer
#2389  September 18, 2020, 09:32:50 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
    • South Africa
Queen Maeve sprites look nice

#2390  September 18, 2020, 10:29:29 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I thought it was a neat side Death Battle because I just started watching The Boys (I've only watched the first two episodes so far) and it's quite something to see heroes in this world being bad. It's like Watchmen, but with a much larger corporate overtone here.

Also, I do kind of wished that Black Noir was in the fight since the series is different from the comics (where he's a literal clone of Homelander and does a lot of the more heinous actions committed by him) and it would be nice to see them all fight.
#2391  September 18, 2020, 10:50:09 pm
It probably is, and I'm willing to bet there's some degree of effort put into it and it's a fine enough show for the audience its targeting.  It's just also one of a thousand.  You get one of these "What if the Justice League was BAD!?!?!?" scenarios and I'm already zoned out, the topic has been bled dry at this point.  In this case, it just looks like Watchmen's version of the Justice League.  Wowee.

If that comical splatter was supposed to be a serious moment it really doesn't come across in the shot there.  Looks like a scene from Epic Movie or one of its many spinoffs.
Man you are wrong on so many levels its unbelievable. The Boys is Garth Ennis deconstruction of the superhero genre, in which he openly mocks the cynical commercialization of superheros and the comic book industry to a degree.
The comic book does an excellent job of humanizing all of the characters. The superheros are not "evil" in the sense that they're one note tyrants or whatever. They're alcoholics, they're rapists, sexual deviants, sociopaths and mentally unstable motherfuckers. The superheros here are like shitty hollywood actors in our world but with super powers. They're not villains, as a matter of a fact, the real villains of the boys are a corporate entity that controls those heros.
Their irreverence is perfectly shown in the trailer when Hughie's girlfriend is suddenly butchered by a negligent superhero who doesn't give a shit and will probably not be held accountable for it.
This is a classic case of judging a book by its cover.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2392  September 19, 2020, 12:15:55 am
    • Mexico

Let's see:
*Queen Maeve is Loganir's Wonder Woman
*The Deep is Namor by ZVitor and friends.
*A-Train is Quicksilver also by ZVitor
*Starlight is Ms. Marvel by Acey and ZVitor
*Billy Butcher is Garret Laurel by Sean Altly
*And while possibly just a coincidence, Stormfront looks like Storm by Alucard
And none of them appear in the credits.

I know that Death Battle is known for using Mugen creations for their work and whatnot, but man couldn't they at least mention them for the work they edited? None of those names they put on the credits sound like any of the creators.
Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:20:47 am by Nemuresu
#2393  September 19, 2020, 03:00:50 am
    • USA
Man you are wrong on so many levels its unbelievable. The Boys is Garth Ennis deconstruction of the superhero genre, in which he openly mocks the cynical commercialization of superheros and the comic book industry to a degree.
The comic book does an excellent job of humanizing all of the characters. The superheros are not "evil" in the sense that they're one note tyrants or whatever. They're alcoholics, they're rapists, sexual deviants, sociopaths and mentally unstable motherfuckers. The superheros here are like shitty hollywood actors in our world but with super powers. They're not villains, as a matter of a fact, the real villains of the boys are a corporate entity that controls those heros.
Their irreverence is perfectly shown in the trailer when Hughie's girlfriend is suddenly butchered by a negligent superhero who doesn't give a shit and will probably not be held accountable for it.
This is a classic case of judging a book by its cover.
So it's just Watchmen as I said before.  You are essentially describing Watchmen except, I dunno, Starship Troopers mixed in I guess?

That's FINE, but I never was the biggest fan of Watchmen in the grand scheme of things to begin with.  Don't care about this bore of a direction out of deconstructing the superhero genre for all its faults anymore.  Yeah, yeah, world's not so black and white, shocker.  Would be nice to get back to "superheroes" being on the brighter side, at least the clear D.C. parallels. 
#2394  September 19, 2020, 07:10:09 am
But the point of The Boys is not "who watches the watchmen". Its a satirical comic book that mocks superheros and their commercialization.
Also, why would The Boys confirm to DC's standards? its an independent comic book written by one guy who dislikes superheros. If you want another cookie cutter superhero teamup, no one is stopping you from going out there and grabbing one of the countless justice league books or their rip-offs.

The boys does something different, and it does it damn well. Its not for you, I understand. But you shouldn't dismiss it as evil superheros book or another Watchmen ripoff, when its far away from it.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2395  September 19, 2020, 07:18:26 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I dunno, I think The Boys comic is complete fucking dogshit. It's not a particularly interesting or compelling deconstruction, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, and it's just so up its own ass that I couldn't bring myself to watch the TV show at all, despite hearing fairly good things about it. That's how unpleasant reading the comic was to me. Like I get it Garth Ennis, you really fucking hate superheroes (except Superman), great! Then stop fucking writing about them if you don't have anything interesting to say about them!

The Boys is really not a fair comparison to Watchmen, which was genuinely groundbreaking, and is a technical marvel; the mastery Moore and Gibbons had in their storytelling is evident in every single panel. Like the plot or not, but the plot is merely one aspect to the book as a whole. The Boys, meanwhile, is just a fairly average 2000s comic in terms of its construction; not only did it not totally reshape all comics made after it like Watchmen did, it came and went without a ton of fanfare. Like it was popular enough to get a TV show, obviously, but so have a lot of other things from that era. It was just another comic book. Watchmen... is Watchmen.
#2396  September 19, 2020, 04:05:45 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I've never read the comic, so yeah... My thought process was that the heroes in this series was like Watchmen in terms of how the heroes have mostly no morals within them. That's it. I didn't think of it any deeper then that.
#2397  September 20, 2020, 04:59:02 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
The thing that makes Watchmen different is that its heroes all do have pretty strong moral codes, with very few exceptions—the Comedian is a nihilist who believes in nothing, only seeking to cause violence, and Dr. Manhattan's whole deal is of course that he has absolutely zero agency and sees no real value in human life ("A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?"), though he reverses the latter position over the course of the story. The more normal people (relatively speaking, since they're all immensely screwed up to be running around in costumes and beating people up), such as Nite Owl and Silk Spectre, all have their various foibles but by and large have moral codes that most people would align with.

Instead, it is the two people with the strongly held moral codes, Rorschach and Ozymandias, that reveal some of the major points of horror in Watchmen: both of these masked vigilantes have extremely strong codes of ethics that they follow, but these codes both lead them to commit horrific acts of violence. It's all well and good to follow a code of ethics, but superheroes, by their most fundamental nature, go out and enforce their ethical code onto others. And so you have Rorschach—a deranged bigot, lover of the most absurd conspiracy theories, and arch-Randian—who sees everything in pure black and white, out roaming the streets delivering his vision of justice onto anyone unfortunate to run into him. On the other hand, there's Ozymandias, whose goals are all extremely noble: he wants to prevent the extinction of humanity from the ever-growing threat of nuclear war. He truly and deeply wants to literally save the world... and of course, he does this through the murder of millions of people.
#2398  September 20, 2020, 09:53:37 pm
    • Germany
#2399  September 21, 2020, 01:56:37 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

Let's see:
*Queen Maeve is Loganir's Wonder Woman
*The Deep is Namor by ZVitor and friends.
*A-Train is Quicksilver also by ZVitor
*Starlight is Ms. Marvel by Acey and ZVitor
*Billy Butcher is Garret Laurel by Sean Altly
*And while possibly just a coincidence, Stormfront looks like Storm by Alucard
And none of them appear in the credits.

I know that Death Battle is known for using Mugen creations for their work and whatnot, but man couldn't they at least mention them for the work they edited? None of those names they put on the credits sound like any of the creators.

I'm glad somebody else noticed this. It's one thing for my Scorpion sprites to get used because that's not my character, and at least they tried to credit me (and misspelled my name), but Laurel feels different. I did base a lot of anims on Eagle from CVS2 but this one is really rubbing me the wrong way. I might have fucked up putting "use my stuff for whatever you want" in my signature here, I meant for Mugen not for videos getting millions of views that are sponsored by one of the biggest companies in the world. :/

Download Last Bout now!
#2400  September 21, 2020, 11:17:09 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
    • South Africa
I'm salty over this one, so bring on the salt