YesNoOk

cartoon characters legitimacy (Read 36510 times)

Started by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE, February 08, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
Share this topic:
cartoon characters legitimacy
#1  February 08, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
i ask this question often, but never asked it here.

i always thought the point of mugen was the "fantasy" aspect of it all. but when i see peoples rosters...its usually the same SF,KOF,DBZ...sometimes different variations of the same character.

i feel like if it isnt RYU, its often overlooked. and that sucks because there is alot of creative creators out here that makes balanced characters.
Why is that?
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
Re: cartoon characters legitimacy
#2  February 08, 2021, 11:33:12 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
because fighting game fans gravitate towards mugen more than people who dont play fighting games
#3  February 08, 2021, 11:36:00 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
#4  February 09, 2021, 12:23:07 am
    • USA
Its not that same tho, Anime rosters dont have characters with good cartoon art, aka sprites. There are tons of new games out now that you can nake sprites of but havent yet. Fantasy is definitly there buddy, with so many characters to choose from , where are you gonna start looking for characters? Known fighters and their characters in so many formats that even your fantasies' expectation is shattered.

You forgot to mention Mortal Kombat and some awesome full games of it. Theres also all those pokemon shit too, if you love Pikachu he can be found, what elese.. Rosters man.. Alot of ppl have full hardrive worth of that shit , its not a joke

P.s. i saw what you did with your "creation".. Man idk what your trying to do, but that shoe character is like wtf.. Is this what you want? This what you wanna promote?? That garbage?
#5  February 09, 2021, 12:25:11 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I mean he has a point though -- I see a lot of the same rosters too, and I get why. MUGEN has a lot of options, but a lot of people stick to, say, Capcom, SNK, and DBZ chars with POTS gameplay lol

I mean at the end of the day, you do you -- there's a lot of the same but everyone's having fun at least.
#6  February 09, 2021, 01:06:26 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
Its not that same tho, Anime rosters dont have characters with good cartoon art, aka sprites. There are tons of new games out now that you can nake sprites of but havent yet. Fantasy is definitly there buddy, with so many characters to choose from , where are you gonna start looking for characters? Known fighters and their characters in so many formats that even your fantasies' expectation is shattered.

You forgot to mention Mortal Kombat and some awesome full games of it. Theres also all those pokemon shit too, if you love Pikachu he can be found, what elese.. Rosters man.. Alot of ppl have full hardrive worth of that shit , its not a joke

P.s. i saw what you did with your "creation".. Man idk what your trying to do, but that shoe character is like wtf.. Is this what you want? This what you wanna promote?? That garbage?

that was the meanest thing anyone has said to me. wow. in no way i promoted myself. i cant believe you came out of your face like that. in no way my question attacked anyone. i didnt link to any of my creations. That was fucked up...i didnt come at anybody. and not ONCE did i say those creations sucked. this legit hurt my feelings....i hate toxic energy
#7  February 09, 2021, 01:09:14 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA

Jesus dude that is toxic as fuck. While everyone is entitled to liking and not liking things, that was just straight up rude.
#8  February 09, 2021, 01:18:24 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I know Battleborn shut down but no need to be a jackass about it

Royce is a good man, how the fuck was any of that called for?
#9  February 09, 2021, 01:23:48 am
  • What is life without tacos?
    • USA
    • catanesetyler@gmail.com

This ain't it man, being a dick for no reason makes you sound bitter and petty. You should definitely watch your tone and treat people how you want to be treated. DJ is one of the most coolest people in this community and you target his creations for no reason. What have you done in this community again?
#10  February 09, 2021, 01:46:30 am
For me, I stick to the old chars as it was what I was playing as a kid back in the arcade days.
It was Capcom and SNK and MK.

I am not a fan of Waifu/Anime/Meme or cartoony chars however this is why its a community engine, anyone can use and make what they like.
No one is in the wrong regardless what they use, its prefrence.
You like Waifu/Anime/Meme/Cartoony chars ? You do you, more power to you.
#11  February 09, 2021, 01:51:19 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
just a disclaimer..i never said anyone who doesnt have a varied roster is wrong! NEVER EVER SAID THAT. i simply asked why to see where peoples heads where at when it comes to roster selection.
#12  February 09, 2021, 02:22:51 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Shut up dumbass, at least he did something.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#13  February 09, 2021, 02:43:00 am
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
To actually contribute to the conversation, I think it has a lot to do with familiarity. Obviously, characters from actual fighting games will be the most familiar, with popular media characters coming in not too far behind.

The more obscure your character is to the fighting game scene, the harder of a sell it is.
#14  February 09, 2021, 02:46:59 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
To actually contribute to the conversation, I think it has a lot to do with familiarity. Obviously, characters from actual fighting games will be the most familiar, with popular media characters coming in not too far behind.

The more obscure your character is to the fighting game scene, the harder of a sell it is.

that makes sense

DW

#15  February 09, 2021, 03:09:40 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I'm not sure what you're asking here tbh.... Are you asking why someone would want well established fighting game chars over someone like...Charlie Brown or something? Well, I'd say Ume already answered that. Especially when it comes to creation, I'd wager 90% of creators got into Mugen because they are/or at one time were practitioners in FGs. Had I myself not been into FGs, Mugen would have never caught my attention. I don't see the lack of fantasy though as you seem to be implying. Even with said roster. Most will have chars that have never been in the same game, at the same time. Or even with specific mechanics. A lot of them may have chars that weren't ever made in pixel format prior.

Whether it's Capcom, SNK, etc. Doesn't that still fit the criteria of fantasy? Especially if you mash those chars together. Let's be real here, there's little to no chance of these companies actually doing anything close to what a lot of creators here in Mugen have done. Mainly due to licensing rights, getting along with one another, and interest at all. There isn't gonna be another Capcom vs SNK. There isn't gonna be a Capcom x Shonen Jump or something else of the like. There won't even be a SF game with all the chars from previous games. Those only exist in fantasy lol. They can only exist here.
#16  February 09, 2021, 03:12:45 am
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
No one is in the wrong regardless what they use, its prefrence.
You like Waifu/Anime/Meme/Cartoony chars ? You do you, more power to you.

I agree with this wholeheartly and that's the point of Mugen.

Mugen is customizable. Anyone can add who they want in their mugen games as they see fit.
#17  February 09, 2021, 03:18:44 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Every person has their own taste of preference of who they want on their roster. Me? I like to show more obscure characters a spotlight in the fighting game scene. Do they fit? Not in an actual fighting game sense but if they work out in MUGEN, they work out. MUGEN is all about creativity and being creative on your roster screen. The most important thing is to enjoy the roster you build yourself.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#18  February 09, 2021, 03:22:01 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
why does everyone think i have a problem with peoples choices?!
im closing this question because i dont think you guys are understanding what i asked. I DIDNT SAY ANY CHOICE WAS WRONG. AND I DIDNT ASK Y CHOOSE THIS OVER THAT. I ASKED ABOUT VARIED ROSTERS! i do not want to come off this way,,,,im not mad at peoples decisions.
note to self. no questions on here.

it wont let me delete this topic, so if a mod sees this...can they do the honors?
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:37:31 am by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE
#19  February 09, 2021, 03:29:49 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265

Completely uncalled for. That shit isn't cool, maybe you should go elsewhere with that barbaric crap.
#20  February 09, 2021, 03:41:02 am
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
yeah, more people come into mugen with really extensive FG character knowledge than those who do.
That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and familiarity does play a really big part in the rosters that you see. Now, when it comes to quality, I myself don't really hold them to that high of a standard, as cartoon characters are either really hard to find or aren't well made. There are always diamonds in the rough, though, and those characters end up becoming really popular in mugen.
I cannot say that I have experience in cartoon character mugen (besides wario but idk if he counts or not), but i have played a lot of cartoon characters and I've had some hits and misses, though with the rise of more creators who actually know how fighting games work and extremely talented spriters having faith in mugen representing their works I believe that a majority of cartoon characters released from now will be a lot more legit then they were now or 10 years ago.