YesNoOk

cartoon characters legitimacy (Read 36514 times)

Started by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE, February 08, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
Share this topic:
cartoon characters legitimacy
#1  February 08, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
i ask this question often, but never asked it here.

i always thought the point of mugen was the "fantasy" aspect of it all. but when i see peoples rosters...its usually the same SF,KOF,DBZ...sometimes different variations of the same character.

i feel like if it isnt RYU, its often overlooked. and that sucks because there is alot of creative creators out here that makes balanced characters.
Why is that?
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
Re: cartoon characters legitimacy
#2  February 08, 2021, 11:33:12 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
because fighting game fans gravitate towards mugen more than people who dont play fighting games
#3  February 08, 2021, 11:36:00 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
#4  February 09, 2021, 12:23:07 am
    • USA
Its not that same tho, Anime rosters dont have characters with good cartoon art, aka sprites. There are tons of new games out now that you can nake sprites of but havent yet. Fantasy is definitly there buddy, with so many characters to choose from , where are you gonna start looking for characters? Known fighters and their characters in so many formats that even your fantasies' expectation is shattered.

You forgot to mention Mortal Kombat and some awesome full games of it. Theres also all those pokemon shit too, if you love Pikachu he can be found, what elese.. Rosters man.. Alot of ppl have full hardrive worth of that shit , its not a joke

P.s. i saw what you did with your "creation".. Man idk what your trying to do, but that shoe character is like wtf.. Is this what you want? This what you wanna promote?? That garbage?
#5  February 09, 2021, 12:25:11 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
I mean he has a point though -- I see a lot of the same rosters too, and I get why. MUGEN has a lot of options, but a lot of people stick to, say, Capcom, SNK, and DBZ chars with POTS gameplay lol

I mean at the end of the day, you do you -- there's a lot of the same but everyone's having fun at least.
#6  February 09, 2021, 01:06:26 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
Its not that same tho, Anime rosters dont have characters with good cartoon art, aka sprites. There are tons of new games out now that you can nake sprites of but havent yet. Fantasy is definitly there buddy, with so many characters to choose from , where are you gonna start looking for characters? Known fighters and their characters in so many formats that even your fantasies' expectation is shattered.

You forgot to mention Mortal Kombat and some awesome full games of it. Theres also all those pokemon shit too, if you love Pikachu he can be found, what elese.. Rosters man.. Alot of ppl have full hardrive worth of that shit , its not a joke

P.s. i saw what you did with your "creation".. Man idk what your trying to do, but that shoe character is like wtf.. Is this what you want? This what you wanna promote?? That garbage?

that was the meanest thing anyone has said to me. wow. in no way i promoted myself. i cant believe you came out of your face like that. in no way my question attacked anyone. i didnt link to any of my creations. That was fucked up...i didnt come at anybody. and not ONCE did i say those creations sucked. this legit hurt my feelings....i hate toxic energy
#7  February 09, 2021, 01:09:14 am
    • USA

Jesus dude that is toxic as fuck. While everyone is entitled to liking and not liking things, that was just straight up rude.
#8  February 09, 2021, 01:18:24 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
I know Battleborn shut down but no need to be a jackass about it

Royce is a good man, how the fuck was any of that called for?
#9  February 09, 2021, 01:23:48 am
  • What is life without tacos?
    • USA
    • catanesetyler@gmail.com

This ain't it man, being a dick for no reason makes you sound bitter and petty. You should definitely watch your tone and treat people how you want to be treated. DJ is one of the most coolest people in this community and you target his creations for no reason. What have you done in this community again?
#10  February 09, 2021, 01:46:30 am
For me, I stick to the old chars as it was what I was playing as a kid back in the arcade days.
It was Capcom and SNK and MK.

I am not a fan of Waifu/Anime/Meme or cartoony chars however this is why its a community engine, anyone can use and make what they like.
No one is in the wrong regardless what they use, its prefrence.
You like Waifu/Anime/Meme/Cartoony chars ? You do you, more power to you.
#11  February 09, 2021, 01:51:19 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
just a disclaimer..i never said anyone who doesnt have a varied roster is wrong! NEVER EVER SAID THAT. i simply asked why to see where peoples heads where at when it comes to roster selection.
#12  February 09, 2021, 02:22:51 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Shut up dumbass, at least he did something.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#13  February 09, 2021, 02:43:00 am
  • Come On You Know LGx
  • biblical (yea)
    • USA
    • Skype - eddsworldtrash
    • remixsparta.wix.com/mugensdawn
To actually contribute to the conversation, I think it has a lot to do with familiarity. Obviously, characters from actual fighting games will be the most familiar, with popular media characters coming in not too far behind.

The more obscure your character is to the fighting game scene, the harder of a sell it is.
#14  February 09, 2021, 02:46:59 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
To actually contribute to the conversation, I think it has a lot to do with familiarity. Obviously, characters from actual fighting games will be the most familiar, with popular media characters coming in not too far behind.

The more obscure your character is to the fighting game scene, the harder of a sell it is.

that makes sense

DW

#15  February 09, 2021, 03:09:40 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I'm not sure what you're asking here tbh.... Are you asking why someone would want well established fighting game chars over someone like...Charlie Brown or something? Well, I'd say Ume already answered that. Especially when it comes to creation, I'd wager 90% of creators got into Mugen because they are/or at one time were practitioners in FGs. Had I myself not been into FGs, Mugen would have never caught my attention. I don't see the lack of fantasy though as you seem to be implying. Even with said roster. Most will have chars that have never been in the same game, at the same time. Or even with specific mechanics. A lot of them may have chars that weren't ever made in pixel format prior.

Whether it's Capcom, SNK, etc. Doesn't that still fit the criteria of fantasy? Especially if you mash those chars together. Let's be real here, there's little to no chance of these companies actually doing anything close to what a lot of creators here in Mugen have done. Mainly due to licensing rights, getting along with one another, and interest at all. There isn't gonna be another Capcom vs SNK. There isn't gonna be a Capcom x Shonen Jump or something else of the like. There won't even be a SF game with all the chars from previous games. Those only exist in fantasy lol. They can only exist here.
#16  February 09, 2021, 03:12:45 am
  • Every journey has it's final day, don't rush.
    • USA
No one is in the wrong regardless what they use, its prefrence.
You like Waifu/Anime/Meme/Cartoony chars ? You do you, more power to you.

I agree with this wholeheartly and that's the point of Mugen.

Mugen is customizable. Anyone can add who they want in their mugen games as they see fit.
#17  February 09, 2021, 03:18:44 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Every person has their own taste of preference of who they want on their roster. Me? I like to show more obscure characters a spotlight in the fighting game scene. Do they fit? Not in an actual fighting game sense but if they work out in MUGEN, they work out. MUGEN is all about creativity and being creative on your roster screen. The most important thing is to enjoy the roster you build yourself.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#18  February 09, 2021, 03:22:01 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
why does everyone think i have a problem with peoples choices?!
im closing this question because i dont think you guys are understanding what i asked. I DIDNT SAY ANY CHOICE WAS WRONG. AND I DIDNT ASK Y CHOOSE THIS OVER THAT. I ASKED ABOUT VARIED ROSTERS! i do not want to come off this way,,,,im not mad at peoples decisions.
note to self. no questions on here.

it wont let me delete this topic, so if a mod sees this...can they do the honors?
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:37:31 am by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE
#19  February 09, 2021, 03:29:49 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265

Completely uncalled for. That shit isn't cool, maybe you should go elsewhere with that barbaric crap.
#20  February 09, 2021, 03:41:02 am
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
yeah, more people come into mugen with really extensive FG character knowledge than those who do.
That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and familiarity does play a really big part in the rosters that you see. Now, when it comes to quality, I myself don't really hold them to that high of a standard, as cartoon characters are either really hard to find or aren't well made. There are always diamonds in the rough, though, and those characters end up becoming really popular in mugen.
I cannot say that I have experience in cartoon character mugen (besides wario but idk if he counts or not), but i have played a lot of cartoon characters and I've had some hits and misses, though with the rise of more creators who actually know how fighting games work and extremely talented spriters having faith in mugen representing their works I believe that a majority of cartoon characters released from now will be a lot more legit then they were now or 10 years ago.
#21  February 09, 2021, 04:18:24 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
The reason I got into Mugen in the first place was seeing a video of Sonic and Peter Griffin duking it out with Yoshi and Bloo (from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, had to clarify because there's also a K' edit of the same name). I thought it was entertaining and wanted in on the action. The only fighting games I had even played at that point could be counted with one hand. It's actually because of Mugen that I got into fighting games in a major way.

The majority of my Mugen roster today is made up of fighting game characters, but it wouldn't be as interesting if I didn't include characters from other media or people's original creations.

See this? This is you.
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:24:40 am by ShiroTori
#22  February 09, 2021, 04:27:33 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Aside from them being poorly made in the sense that they're overpowered (which is just a problem of making original characters without a team to develop the ideas like in most fighting game developers), they're fine. I like the work of Warner and DDR, I still like BBH's Yoma Komatsu, I think they're all creative characters and I believe that mugen has space for both accurate and creative work, balance and cohesion be damned.
#23  February 09, 2021, 04:36:04 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com

You've done nothing since you've joined but shill battleborn, talk shit about people and run interference for people who steal other peoples work. What have you promoted for MUGEN?
#24  February 09, 2021, 05:14:08 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
When it comes to roster selections for my MUGEN, I just want good characters. I don't care about the origin, I just want characters that have decent AI and are interesting to me.

If that includes characters from anime or cartoons or something else, then that's fine by me.
#25  February 09, 2021, 05:24:59 am
  • The other Indian
    • India

i always thought the point of mugen was the "fantasy" aspect of it all. but when i see peoples rosters...its usually the same SF,KOF,DBZ...sometimes different variations of the same character.

i feel like if it isnt RYU, its often overlooked. and that sucks because there is alot of creative creators out here that makes balanced characters.
Why is that?

Well for me, personally it maintains a sense of consistency and "realism". Throwing a cartoon character in the mix against akuma or rugal feels corny to me, although I have added tmnt and Mario characters to my roster. It's another reason why I don't use joke characters, chibi or lolis. It doesn't quite feel right, If you get what I'm saying.
#26  February 09, 2021, 07:09:14 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Man idk what your trying to do, but that shoe character is like wtf.. Is this what you want? This what you wanna promote?? That garbage?
Not everything for Mugen has to revolve around a human throwing punches and flinging weapons.  I'd play a pair of timbs vs 8-bit sprites of custom gameplay because that's why I like about fiddling with Mugen.  I keep a seperate roster for these kinds of stuff.
#27  February 09, 2021, 08:24:03 am
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
To me Mugen is like a buffet, you want an all meat dish with little veggies then do that. You want a Capcom roster with anime characters but you want them with MVC gameplay? Then do that. See what I am saying is, people build it based on their favorite set ups, rosters or even gameplay standards. I mean a few years ago I talked to a friend who was trying to build just a Simpson and Adult Swim roster with MVC gameplay. So with that its mostly based on people's favorites or taste for their Mugen Builds. As for my tastes good gameplay and not broken. I have a crazy roster at times, hell back when I first got into mugen I did the whole "1000 Roster setup"  So I can have what I want, however as I please. Not everything is always Ryu, (although Drunk Ryu is my favorite joke character ever.)

The reason I got into Mugen in the first place was seeing a video of Sonic and Peter Griffin duking it out with Yoshi and Bloo (from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, had to clarify because there's also a K' edit of the same name). I thought it was entertaining and wanted in on the action. The only fighting games I had even played at that point could be counted with one hand. It's actually because of Mugen that I got into fighting games in a major way.

The majority of my Mugen roster today is made up of fighting game characters, but it wouldn't be as interesting if I didn't include characters from other media or people's original creations.
haha wow are we the same person? I used to love watching Judgespears videos. Also same reason I love fighting games more then I do now. I would have never been interested in Guilty Gear or any of ArcSys works had it not been for M.U.G.E.N
#28  February 09, 2021, 08:30:01 am
    • Canada
So I mostly enjoy tradition mugen stuff, but do have nostalgia for the wacky side of it. Thing is, I'm really OCD with my rosters, they always have to have a theme. Currently running;

-Late 90's-2000's streetfighter clones. standard kof/sf/PI3/RotD/cps2 era stuff (also pots style ect)

-MvC style Super Heroes. Marvel, some custom custom DC guys.

-Retro Fighter. sf2/fatal fury/art of fighting/world heroes, early 90's stuff.

-Samurai fest! Last Blade/Samsho and the like.

and finally....

Super-fun-times-random-retro-nonsense. < pretty much anything DJHannibalRoyce and The_None have made goes here. I'm also using Oldgamers awesome retro arcade screen pack, for extra seizure inducing madness.

I just don't think I'm mentally capable of mixing genres too much. it's just feels so.... wrong.

Some people are all about that mixing and matching. Me... not so much. But you do you.
#29  February 09, 2021, 10:31:27 am
    • USA

that was the meanest thing anyone has said to me. wow. in no way i promoted myself. i cant believe you came out of your face like that. in no way my question attacked anyone. i didnt link to any of my creations. That was fucked up...i didnt come at anybody. and not ONCE did i say those creations sucked. this legit hurt my feelings....i hate toxic energy
[/quote]
Dont take it personal, definitly not toxic, i just i re-read that.
the fantasy creations are so much right now its like no one uses them or they are good enough. You can even call this whole mugen a cartoon based fighter., ok now im stretching that definition by alot but  you know , Fantasy is what all these characters are. Kof, SF, Goku.
Cartoon shit like pokemon, animated shows are there in Mugen. Anime , and whatever the hell else. Like Batman vs Akuma, Batman is a good sprited cartoon character right there, ppl love this guy. The turtles they are there. Theres so much out there that you can compile it. Like dragons and shit. I wouldnt even know what the f they are called.

If you mean like original creations on mugen, i havent seen much good ones, but i do see a whole lot of shit from some older games that its ridiculous.i just kno Street Fighter and some major companies that made good amounts of spritesheets .There has to be original creations and artwork obvioisly not used here in mugenguild. Someone can take those and make a character out if it. Art right now is easy man, you dont have to even search, its right there.
I saw the simpsons shit, man they are horrible to play as. But its alright, those were made by one artist with almost 0 coding skills. You got that coding skill. So that NY shoe couldve been even greater. I like shoes btw.

I know Battleborn shut down but no need to be a jackass about it

Royce is a good man, how the fuck was any of that called for?

Yo man, It has nothing with Battleborn being cut this year. What made u think that? U trying to read my mind? U?

This ain't it man, being a dick for no reason makes you sound bitter and petty. You should definitely watch your tone and treat people how you want to be treated. DJ is one of the most coolest people in this community and you target his creations for no reason. What have you done in this community again?
Good shit. I re-read that, its not supposed to offend DJ, people  are petty scumbags , i have given community(not this one) alot of things you are not aware of. But you have done the same i'll bet.

Ive had it with this idiot. Come near me again and i will put your butthole in your mouth. So you can chew on a new type of gum, gay bitch.
I'm not sure what you're asking here tbh.... Are you asking why someone would want well established fighting game chars over someone like...Charlie Brown or something? Well, I'd say Ume already answered that. Especially when it comes to creation, I'd wager 90% of creators got into Mugen because they are/or at one time were practitioners in FGs. Had I myself not been into FGs, Mugen would have never caught my attention. I don't see the lack of fantasy though as you seem to be implying. Even with said roster. Most will have chars that have never been in the same game, at the same time. Or even with specific mechanics. A lot of them may have chars that weren't ever made in pixel format prior.

Whether it's Capcom, SNK, etc. Doesn't that still fit the criteria of fantasy? Especially if you mash those chars together. Let's be real here, there's little to no chance of these companies actually doing anything close to what a lot of creators here in Mugen have done. Mainly due to licensing rights, getting along with one another, and interest at all. There isn't gonna be another Capcom vs SNK. There isn't gonna be a Capcom x Shonen Jump or something else of the like. There won't even be a SF game with all the chars from previous games. Those only exist in fantasy lol. They can only exist here.
Yo, Mortal Kombat. Got Terminator, Robo-Cop. Tekkens got Aluma, STrert Fighter with those Fighting Layer costumes,. Examples of what companies are trying to do instead of being just about themselves. Fantasy is what exists and the potential is really high.

Man idk what your trying to do, but that shoe character is like wtf.. Is this what you want? This what you wanna promote?? That garbage?
Not everything for Mugen has to revolve around a human throwing punches and flinging weapons.  I'd play a pair of timbs vs 8-bit sprites of custom gameplay because that's why I like about fiddling with Mugen.  I keep a seperate roster for these kinds of stuff.
Yea we can agree, but his NY shoe needed to hit the hotlist,
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:43:15 am by BXR
#30  February 09, 2021, 10:41:34 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
If you're going to say something, at least have the decency to say something that won't make that hole you're in deeper.
#31  February 09, 2021, 11:09:18 am

Ive had it with this idiot. Come near me again and i will put your butthole in your mouth. So you can chew on a new type of gum, gay bitch.

Who are you calling idiot, dumbass? Most of your posts are shit like this, blatantly insulting or disregarding people's work.
About coming near you...have you just arrived to the city and wanna meet REAL men? I could fuck your mouth so hard you'd be shitting teeth for three weeks. Also, who are you calling gay bitch? For making it simple to you, I'm bisexual. And if you want to know, ONLY top. Also, be careful with who you call "gay bitch", bitch.
#32  February 09, 2021, 11:15:07 am
  • Formerly JordanoDaMano (JDM)
    • Canada
haha wow are we the same person? I used to love watching Judgespears videos. Also same reason I love fighting games more then I do now. I would have never been interested in Guilty Gear or any of ArcSys works had it not been for M.U.G.E.N

Oh man, Judgespear's video of Peter Griffin fighting Sakura was the funniest thing to me back then! I remember enjoying the likes of Barrysun and Pikawil64 too (and these guys' videos are still available to watch!). Sadly, the guy who introduced me to Mugen disappeared from YouTube a long time ago, I think he went by Ashaki1 or something like that.

Go back to Battleborn you sap... oh wait.
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:26:52 am by ShiroTori
#33  February 09, 2021, 11:40:12 am
    • USA

Oh hey lemme check this thread before I go to bed...

Yea we can agree, but his NY shoe needed to hit the hotlist,

The ad hominem pointed out aside, bruh, they're timbs with a NY hat, you certainly don't have to give them the time of day. Just move on lol.
#34  February 09, 2021, 02:20:09 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Cartoon characters in the most literal sense (characters from cartoons) are generally made by children who have either only ever played Smash, have played a fighting game but mashed buttons the entire time, or have never played a fighting game whatsoever. Unless the sprites are upscaled from some SNES or GBA title, they're usually hand-drawn and look, well, less than passable, so that kills appeal right out of the gate, but then they're also on several layers of jank due to a lack of proper understanding of how fighting games actually work, and that usually goes hand in hand with random assists to pad out the moveset and/or a complete lack of coherence in regards to how the character plays.

So uh, not the best track record for these sorts of characters.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#35  February 09, 2021, 02:57:54 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA

Dont take it personal, definitly not toxic, i just i re-read that.
the fantasy creations are so much right now its like no one uses them or they are good enough. You can even call this whole mugen a cartoon based fighter., ok now im stretching that definition by alot but  you know , Fantasy is what all these characters are. Kof, SF, Goku.
Cartoon shit like pokemon, animated shows are there in Mugen. Anime , and whatever the hell else. Like Batman vs Akuma, Batman is a good sprited cartoon character right there, ppl love this guy. The turtles they are there. Theres so much out there that you can compile it. Like dragons and shit. I wouldnt even know what the f they are called.

If you mean like original creations on mugen, i havent seen much good ones, but i do see a whole lot of shit from some older games that its ridiculous.i just kno Street Fighter and some major companies that made good amounts of spritesheets .There has to be original creations and artwork obvioisly not used here in mugenguild. Someone can take those and make a character out if it. Art right now is easy man, you dont have to even search, its right there.
I saw the simpsons shit, man they are horrible to play as. But its alright, those were made by one artist with almost 0 coding skills. You got that coding skill. So that NY shoe couldve been even greater. I like shoes btw.

YERRR is a 6 button character, with super jump, air dashes, 4 supers, 4 hypers, 12 palettes and if you're from NYC, its the most accurate depiction of New York...i pride myself in balancing, accuracy and gameplay so saying my shoe could've been better means you probably didn't even try it. if thats not your taste, cool. I can't be mad at that. but as someone who also makes content, calling someones work garbage is rude as fuck. no need to re-read shit.  My duck hunt dog (a cartoon character) won COTM and YERRR(my shoe) is all over social media as we speak, so i dont need ANY validation. this question was just to see where everyone's head was at when it comes to roster selection.
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:34:16 pm by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE
#36  February 09, 2021, 04:51:51 pm
    • USA
Iced is a saint.

Anyways where was this conversation going again?
#37  February 09, 2021, 04:59:55 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA

Anyways where was this conversation going again?

i was asking why the majority of the rosters i see online is usually sf,kof,dbz. and this is NOT me complaining about the lack of cartoons! some really good answers and it does bring some clarity
#38  February 09, 2021, 05:08:37 pm
    • Chile
Also the fact that resources are more easily obtainable from their respective games.
#39  February 09, 2021, 05:29:17 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Why was an honest, decent question answered with so much animosity?

To answer your question, it's because people grew up playing actual fighting games.
Once they got hooked, they wanted to see crossovers. i.e. Capcom vs SNK, Marvel, etc.
We did get a few crossovers here and there, but not all characters made it so once an engine that allowed this freedom emerged, people jumped on board and started to put their favorite characters in every roster available.

With new, original characters, I'm all in.
MUGEN isn't and shouldn't be a "SF/KOF/MK only" platform. It should welcome all content.
#40  February 09, 2021, 05:32:54 pm
    • USA
Dw DJ I’m not claiming you to be wrong. Personally I love going for oddball characters, cartoon characters or obscure characters. At the end of the day though most people did come from existing fighting game backgrounds like SF or KOF or DBFZ so people tend to gravitate towards those. That’s why a lot of rosters look the same.

I hope that still answers your question.
#41  February 09, 2021, 05:50:28 pm
  • Nijikaku Enthusiast
  • Mugen is full of varied creativity.
    • USA
What characters you see fit for Mugen is different for all of us, and it is what is in the eye of the beholder to what kinds of characters they desire, I love Mugen for anything & everything, real fighting game characters, cartoony, anime & original fighters to the completely surreal ones you've never heard of.

YERRR is exactly the kind of unique character I love because it shows how immersive Mugen is.
It is a unique engine that lets imagination run wild as I've had years of fun editing sounds & characters, making sprites and stages to my preferences.

Someone said the Nijikaku characters are too crazy to use in a normal fight but I disagree as they also have serious fighters as they're are overlooked by the goofy meme characters.
I mostly love the wacky creative characters like Bakumatsu moreso than actual fighting game characters like Ryu because they're more appealing to me.

I'll always love these chars, from my favorite fancharacter Think to the awesome Angeloid Astraea, these sprites are memories to be loved.
#42  February 09, 2021, 05:58:58 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
What characters you see fit for Mugen is different for all of us, and it is what is in the eye of the beholder to what kinds of characters they desire, I love Mugen for anything & everything, real fighting game characters, cartoony, anime & original fighters to the completely surreal ones you've never heard of.

YERRR is exactly the kind of unique character I love because it shows how immersive Mugen is.
It is a unique engine that lets imagination run wild as I've had years of fun editing sounds & characters, making sprites and stages to my preferences.

Someone said the Nijikaku characters are too crazy to use in a normal fight but I disagree as they also have serious fighters as they're are overlooked by the goofy meme characters.
I mostly love the wacky creative characters like Bakumatsu moreso than actual fighting game characters like Ryu because they're more appealing to me.

thank u, <3 :)
but this isnt about my character and im not saying anyones roster is wrong. i understand that it is in the eye of the beholder.
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:03:41 pm by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE
#43  February 09, 2021, 06:37:57 pm
    • USA
i dont think DJ is wrong for just pointing out a roster's similarity, it just sounds wrong out of context (happens to me sometimes lol). nothing is wrong with using popular mugen characters, it's all up to the choice of the person making the roster anyways. sometimes going out for more obscure characters is cool as well but again it just boils down to what you want to do,
#44  February 09, 2021, 08:24:57 pm
    • USA
Let me give a brief history;

Western Animation and Mugen have a moderately complex relationship, in reality. The earliest affairs were largely ignored, and generally made use of editing of fighting-type sprites to keep a style intact. RyouWin and Omega Supreme are examples of such creators. Derrick D. Rowell's Saturday Mornin' Mayhem is an early example of such a fullgame that used custom graphics with an MVC-like gameplay. Warner, a Salvadorian creator, was likely inspired by him to begin his line of characters; and even then, not all of them are like this; he did some Ruroni Kenshin characters as well as Wario and Luigi, along with The Thing. JudgeSpear, the first major Mugen YouTuber, picked up on his works, notably his Homer, and proceeded to make them stars, later editing them. Mulambo's Pingu is another example. The viral popularity, including 15 minutes of mainstream fame via "Attack of the Show", MUGEN and JudgeSpear got, is what inspired Zobbes, Smeagol14, Warioman, Placemario, and others to begin creating poor quality characters.

Unlike Warner, these creators would take their sprites from paint-by-numbers platformers and the like, adding unconvincing attacking frames. If they did draw their own images, they were of poor quality. The movesets of these characters were also extremely uninspired, with a spammable projectile, spammable strikers, and hypers like "Gun Shooting" and "Hyper Combo" (literally one or two normals rapidly performed followed by a last normal!). While Madoldcrow1105 was decent due to his handiwork and making unique movesets, other creators were... absolutely not. The MUGEN Database was riddled with examples of these poor quality affairs. Hence, the glut of poor-quality characters caused the reputation of the characters to go down the tubes. Today, Western Animation characters in MUGEN are gaining some ground due to long-time creators marginally improving, allowing those who grew up with lousy characters to play with improved ones. However, many problems with the scene remain.
#45  February 09, 2021, 08:46:51 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
Let me give a brief history;

Western Animation and Mugen have a moderately complex relationship, in reality. The earliest affairs were largely ignored, and generally made use of editing of fighting-type sprites to keep a style intact. RyouWin and Omega Supreme are examples of such creators. Derrick D. Rowell's Saturday Mornin' Mayhem is an early example of such a fullgame that used custom graphics with an MVC-like gameplay. Warner, a Salvadorian creator, was likely inspired by him to begin his line of characters; and even then, not all of them are like this; he did some Ruroni Kenshin characters as well as Wario and Luigi, along with The Thing. JudgeSpear, the first major Mugen YouTuber, picked up on his works, notably his Homer, and proceeded to make them stars, later editing them. Mulambo's Pingu is another example. The viral popularity, including 15 minutes of mainstream fame via "Attack of the Show", MUGEN and JudgeSpear got, is what inspired Zobbes, Smeagol14, Warioman, Placemario, and others to begin creating poor quality characters.

Unlike Warner, these creators would take their sprites from paint-by-numbers platformers and the like, adding unconvincing attacking frames. If they did draw their own images, they were of poor quality. The movesets of these characters were also extremely uninspired, with a spammable projectile, spammable strikers, and hypers like "Gun Shooting" and "Hyper Combo" (literally one or two normals rapidly performed followed by a last normal!). While Madoldcrow1105 was decent due to his handiwork and making unique movesets, other creators were... absolutely not. The MUGEN Database was riddled with examples of these poor quality affairs. Hence, the glut of poor-quality characters caused the reputation of the characters to go down the tubes. Today, Western Animation characters in MUGEN are gaining some ground due to long-time creators marginally improving, allowing those who grew up with lousy characters to play with improved ones. However, many problems with the scene remain.

wow. that was detailed as fuck. i love it! so basically, Reputation and popularity seem to be the general reason. hopefully that changes in the future. But at the end of the day, its what the user wants to do with their MUGEN. thank you everyone for all of your answers...this was quite the question.
#46  February 09, 2021, 08:55:57 pm
I for example, not a lot into mixing different graphic styles. I mean, a KOF sprite, even having a Capcom-esque palete is easily recognisable as SNK. Maybe I'm a bit maniatic with it, so imagine mixing characters from cartoons, manga, etc. And for example, every cartoon has a different style. Same with Manga/Anime. I could live without killing myself mixing that Dragon Ball and One Piece characters whose sprites are similar to those from Capcom, even they're a bit bigger. I appreciate the time and effort some awesome spriters(such as Warner) gives to their creations(Futurama, Family Guy, Simpsons), but I wouldn't be putting'em in a CvS alike roster.
#47  February 09, 2021, 09:03:56 pm
    • USA

man my roster is unique asf tho
who would actually have the most popular cvs2, pots, kof and jojo characters and only those characters in their roster.
the diversity here is just insane.
#48  February 09, 2021, 09:22:40 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
sees 3 ryus, 4 dans and 4 kens LOL. i love you salty. lol
#49  February 09, 2021, 09:23:46 pm
    • USA
3 Ryus... 3 Kens...

FOUR Dans...

Yep, seems legit lol
#50  February 09, 2021, 10:02:16 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

Why is that?

Same with what ume said

because fighting game fans gravitate towards mugen more than people who dont play fighting games

Though considering cartoon characters in mugen, other than outliers like warner, DDR, and others that have been said in this thread already. (Though DDR and warner's characters do have their own set of problems) Cartoon characters typically get made by people who don't really grasp basic fighting game theory, in turn gives them the reputation of being "illegitimate" to a point as miru962 was describing. Though I have seen plenty of SF, KOF, and DBZ characters that are absolute trash as well if not worse. Also them being more well known than most SF, KOF, or DBZ characters doesn't really help with the stereotype.
#51  February 09, 2021, 10:57:41 pm
I know what you ment and again its fine.
Both parties bring up solid arguments and it comes down to prefrence.
As stated, the franchise tied to the chars is a major pull for users.

Stuff based on Anime and such will have more downloads in general, people that play with original chars or cartoony chars more so have to go out of there way to find well made ones and when its an original char its just word of mouth.
Its not as easy as typing "Goku mugen char" in google to find one.

For me its mostly about gameplay, I love how the proper pots chars handle (Jman/DW/Karma)
I find them "legit" if you will.

I've shown my roster a million times but if you want to see what I enjoy playing form time to time, here.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:41:12 am by PeXXeR
#52  February 10, 2021, 04:46:22 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Seems like I showed up late to a topic I'm pretty fond of.
BXR, lucky I didn't get to you first. FeLo, watch what you say too.

BUT back to the topic at hand.
#1 sprites. If there's no sprites the character cant be made. 90% of the time an artist can't code. Art vs "Math", you're usually 1 way or the other. So people who code NEED sprites. They end up making characters with sprites already widely available. This causes and upward trend.

#2 editing happens first. Most people who create a character have no clue how to do it. NO ONE'S reading the manual. The character from scratch isn't going to be made first. RYU IS!! Cuz there's a lot of them out there and the one you downloaded is aaaaaaalllllllll most like how you want it exactly so you edit it! NEW RYU YAAAAAYYYY!!!! (My very first edit was my Ryu)

#3 creativity is tough. Popeye and Onsokumaru are two of the best mugen characters ever made. The amount of creativity behind them is fantastic. But they're not even 100% unique for mugen. Their characters existed outside of mugen first and someone brought it forward. Someone like @Creamy_Goodness: makes a character and don't see any feed back. It's disheartening.  My Samus is the only character I've made by myself. The other 18 characters "I've made" are edits. Heck, Samus isn't even 100% original. I used SSBB to get the images of her. With out that, Samus wouldn't have been started. Dragon Claw is a work of love. These level of characters are extremely rare. AltoidDealer and all the rest of the creators putting years into 1 character are legends. 

#4 stealing characters is bad. If someone was to just edit Jailbot people would notice lol. A LOT of people my jump the gun and go off on the person who edited the character. Even if it was a larger edit, and the person gives credit. SOME ASSHOLES will just attack anyone for any reason. This will stop people from even opening Fighter Factory. They just don't want negativity, and who can blame them. Lei-Lei, Blanka, Gouken, Spiderman, Sakura, Joe, and maybe 2 or 3 more of my edits will never get uploaded. The edits aren't pronounced enough. Am I scared of people talking shit? Nope. But out of respect for the original creators I wont upload them. Who knows how many small edits Fire Quacker's gotten over the years.

#5 "VS Style sucks"!! But there are a ton of people who want 7 chun li, 5 cammy, 5 Gouken, 4 ken, 3 sub zero, 3 M Bison, and countless pairs of characters
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Because sometimes 1 particular character is so over powered compared to a different version it's not fair to play as them vs another character from a different set up. PotS' reign supreme? They're usually solid characters but 1 wont rule them all. Not against my Lei-lei. Omega Tom Hanks over there still has that shit-eating-grin on for anyone who's never played mugen before. Is Jailbot an amazing character? Yes. Is it fair to match him against Evil Ken. No. So if you want to fight Jailbot with a Ken, You need to select a different version.

But the see-saw is lopsided. A ton of Ryus only leads to more Ryus. Even with the TEAM of people around Balthazar, Team Z characters take forever to create. The characters that move the see-saw slam the other side so hard they get shot off into outer space. I've read complaints that Team Z wins CotM too often!?

I personally never understand the people who treat mugen like it's an emulator. Download the emulator of the game you like. Sticking to just ONE game in mugen blows my mind. Thor is gonna kick the crap out of Skullomania but lose the next round to Wolverine who could never stand a chance against FAUST who's gonna get dusted by Skullomania which should never be matched against M Bison by Ethan Lives, on and on and on. But Lei-lei owns them all so hard she's permanently retired, but wont ever get removed off the board. Is she a cheap god-mode char? Nope. Do those characters get a spot in my build. NOPE. Do people love them. Hellzyeah they do. Some people just want a CvS 2 EO with a bigger character line up. But will there ever be a Thor in a CvS shading. Doubt it. If someone wants a new Thor they'll probably edit Loganir's and not release it.
And the downward spiral continues.

When creators make something fresh, people will notice. One or two of those people will get inspired to try something awesome. Hopefully they can stick with it and win CotY.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#53  February 10, 2021, 05:00:08 am
    • USA
Though considering cartoon characters in mugen, other than outliers like warner, DDR, and others that have been said in this thread already. (Though DDR and warner's characters do have their own set of problems) Cartoon characters typically get made by people who don't really grasp basic fighting game theory, in turn gives them the reputation of being "illegitimate" to a point as miru962 was describing. Though I have seen plenty of SF, KOF, and DBZ characters that are absolute trash as well if not worse. Also them being more well known than most SF, KOF, or DBZ characters doesn't really help with the stereotype.

Furthermore, in addition to those low quality characters in those categories, I'd say Sonic, kaiju, Nintendo, and DC characters, and maybe Mortal Kombat characters, would have that reputation. Obscure game conversions are headed towards that territory in recent years as well. I can safely say MugenHunter would be the RyouWin/DDR/Warner for Sonic characters, while with obscure conversions it might be someone like MelvannaInChains or Mass. I remember when people were hyped for obscure conversions...
#54  February 10, 2021, 05:02:28 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
this just tells me i need to make a cartoon character and shatter all expectations.
#55  February 10, 2021, 05:16:35 am
    • USA
#56  February 10, 2021, 06:11:59 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Obscure conversions died because of anime fighters exploding in popularity in recent years. Mass seems to be on hiatus or quit too.
#57  February 10, 2021, 06:33:58 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

Furthermore, in addition to those low quality characters in those categories, I'd say Sonic, kaiju, Nintendo, and DC characters, and maybe Mortal Kombat characters, would have that reputation. Obscure game conversions are headed towards that territory in recent years as well. I can safely say MugenHunter would be the RyouWin/DDR/Warner for Sonic characters, while with obscure conversions it might be someone like MelvannaInChains or Mass. I remember when people were hyped for obscure conversions...

Yea very much so with sonic, kaiju, nintendo, DC, and MK characters. Though frankly one could say any popular character from a non fighting game source is gonna have people making them that don't know basic fighting game theory, or at least not enough to have one being well constructed and balanced. With MKP characters being either being surprisingly competent if not better than MKT or unintentionally hilarious messes. MH's sonic characters where decent from what I remember. Obscure conversions where decently popular over 10 to 5 years ago, shame we don't see too many of them anymore.
#58  February 10, 2021, 06:51:57 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Obscure conversions died because of anime fighters exploding in popularity in recent years. Mass seems to be on hiatus or quit too.
This is literally not true, there are several japanese authors out there still putting out obscure conversions or straight up original work
#59  February 10, 2021, 07:13:49 pm
    • USA
The notable decrease in western obscure mugen is simply because the creators are working at a slower rate (the none) or retired (Jango, melvana, etc.)
#60  February 10, 2021, 07:18:46 pm
  • Your Average MFG Forum Member
  • As Seen on Youtube
    • Brazil
    • Skype - iago-moraes
    • www.youtube.com/user/yagoshi300
The notable decrease in western obscure mugen is simply because the creators are working at a slower rate (the none) or retired (Jango, melvana, etc.)

You forgot to mention Shimmering Brony.

Homina Homina Homina
#61  February 10, 2021, 07:26:05 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I don't see how that fits in with what they said because Shim falls under neither category.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#62  February 11, 2021, 06:28:46 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
#63  February 11, 2021, 10:46:51 pm
    • USA

Indeed so. In addition; DxWho's work really succumbed to Seasonal Rot and eventually Jumped the Shark when he started concentrating in bulking out the roster for a fullgame, while at least The Magic Toaster is still at it. Joey Faust, not to mention his even worse copycats, are another thing; as they just plop sets of sprites usually from TSR into a limited, glitchy template with mismatched sounds and call it a day, giving them more of a poor reputation similar to Western Animation characters. And people aren't really chomping at the bit to make better versions of them yet.

this just tells me i need to make a cartoon character and shatter all expectations.

What about your Aladdin? He's an animated film character. And there was also the Simba meant for HITMOVIES, remember that?
#64  February 12, 2021, 08:17:41 pm
  • For honor!
The thing is a cartoon character could certainly be legit if designed by one that is well versed in fighting game design, yet when someone decides to make a cartoon character for MUGEN it is almost always going to be a novelty character and understandably so. Nothing wrong with that, really.
Iroha stripped for me
#65  February 13, 2021, 06:51:44 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I found this theme interesting, but all the BXR bullshit (his posts, your responses to him, etc) makes me lost of what this thread is about. If you delete all that shit, this thread barely would get a page 2. So, I quote OP to get the main idea...

Why is that?
I found cartoon characters interesting and a good portion of fresh to MUGEN and the excess of FG adaptations with something more original, but what makes me (and probably many more as me) go away from them are their creators. For many years (since the 2000s) most of cartoon adaptations were made mediocrely by the same small group of creators (I won't mention any to not get bad responses later) who monopolized that area with bad/boring/overpowered/MVC-like characters that only scared people to download them

It wasn't until the 2010s with new and creative creators (as the OP) and some known names in MUGEN picked up cartoon chars to make them good and fun (AND playable), but the damage was done and the opinion isn't changed much until today. More than that, even some creators persist to make bad stuff just because "more cartoon chars are needed in MUGEN" and "I'll be the first one to make a MUGEN version of this char, no matter if this is shit"

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X