YesNoOk

Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 06/08/2021) (Read 588471 times)

Started by tunglashor, September 20, 2010, 06:54:33 am
Share this topic:
Visual Select Screen Editor (updated 06/08/2021)
#1  September 20, 2010, 06:54:33 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Hello friends!

Hopefully some of you will find this useful.  It's a new tool I've been working on to enable editing of your Mugen select screen using a visual drag&drop interface.

I've had a stab at rendering the select screen as accurately as I could, though it's not perfect; in particular the alpha blending is only an approximation of how it looks in Mugen.  I think it's close enough, in general.

To give an idea of how to use it, I've made a short video.  Hopefully this demonstrates the basic idea:

It should work with WinMugen, hi-res WinMugen and Mugen 1.0.  The program reads from mugen.cfg and the system.def file of the selected motif, and tries to scale the screen accordingly; it should get it right for Mugen 1.0 but for hi-res WinMugen you need to use the setting available via the File -> Options menu.

Other options allow you to hide the top layer while dragging a character around - useful for some motifs where the grid is partially hidden.  You can also choose to show or hide empty cells (note this only applies to the viewing mode within the tool; the actual Mugen setting is not affected).  Also you can choose to disable alpha-blending (I added this because for screens that make heavy use of these effects the program can start to lag if it tries to display them all; this particularly applies if a transparent animation is used as the cell background).

Animations are not played, but the program will try to display single frames where possible.  It tries to be clever and exclude any frames that might obscure the screen, but I included an option to randomize the frames in case one of these does get displayed.  There's also the option to exclude animation elements completely.

What else... zipped characters are supported (although the program may be slow to load if a lot of these are included).  Characters can be added from anywhere; if they're not located in the chars directory then an absolute path will be used (however zipped characters will be copied to the chars directory as this seems to be a Mugen requirement).

Cons:  the more characters in the select screen, the longer the program will take to load.  Flashier motifs with lots of alpha-blending can also slow things down, as mentioned.  Other than that, no doubt there will be some select screen paramaters I've failed to implement correctly, so please feel free to post details of any errors you come across.  Also any random crashes, weird behaviour, etc.  Note: one issue I'm aware of is the width parameter, used with parallax elements for a perspective-type effect.  I don't support this currently and just display the sprites as they are.

One more thing to be aware of: a backup is made of every file before it's first edited by the program - named (for example) "select.def.vselect.bak".  The select screen def file is the only one ever edited, unless you use the "set as default motif" option which just updates the appropriate line in mugen.cfg.

Updates:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Enjoy!  And as always any feedback is most appreciated  :)
Download here.
Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:50:17 am by tunglashor
Re: Visual Select Screen Editor
#2  September 20, 2010, 07:19:13 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
well, sounds really insteresting, probably I will give it a try!!

;D
            Zorf Giudecca
#3  September 20, 2010, 07:26:20 am
    • Argentina
    • sites.google.com/view/senseiyoda/sensei-yodas-mugen
this looks very good! thanks for sharing!  :)
#4  September 20, 2010, 09:24:32 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
This sounds like a really useful tool. I will definitely use this as I'm lazy to type update my select.def with new characters. But I have a problem for trying to download it. After clicking the download link, it ask me to make an account. I did and after clicking it again, I got this:

Permission Denied

You do not have the necessary privileges to access this file. This may be because you are not logged into your humyo account.

Make sure you are logged into the correct humyo account or contact the file's owner and request that they share this file with you.

Now, I think I wasted my time making an pointless account that can't download anything in that file-sharing site. Can you please post an alternative link or fix it? Does this also happen to everyone too?
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#5  September 20, 2010, 11:06:39 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Argh, sorry about that.  First post updated.
#6  September 20, 2010, 06:23:00 pm
  • (o.O)!
  • MadkaT Was Here
    • Guernsey
    • a@b.xxx
    • Skype - admin
    • network.mugenguild.com/madkat
Looks interesting ;D i'll test it now! :sugoi:
<- Foros Mugen en español. And also English forums.
#7  September 20, 2010, 06:31:18 pm
    • Chile
    • mkvssf.com/
We needed a tool like this :P
#8  September 20, 2010, 08:40:35 pm
  • Slash!!
Good tool  :o the time I save on my screenpack test, will be less. :sugoi:
#9  September 20, 2010, 10:09:40 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
The best tool I've seen appear in quite a while. I had made something akin to this, though you certainly did it way better.

Some suggestions: give some info on the stage selected (name shouldn't be hard, as it is a single text parameter). Also, stages have a 'default' BGM option (which plays when no other tune is specified): display it, and give the option to 'associate' the currently selected BGM to the selected stage (maybe to playtest the tune?).

I understand this would go far beyond the scope of this tool, but a screenshot display of the stage (non-animated) would certainly help (I had implemented this in my homemade tool by autogenerating a bat which ran MUGEN with every single stage in the dir, pitting two invisible and lifebar-disabling auto-dying chars against each other, and capturing a screenshot in every instance which was then saved to disk and renamed to fit the stage; I'm sure you can find a better way :P).
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#10  September 20, 2010, 11:24:02 pm
  • Add-on Pro :P
    • Mexico
EPIC! :D I have waited too long for something like this!  :swoon: :suttrox:

EDIT: You should work with compatibility issues with screenpacks. My screenpack, HLoader Mugen 3 Galaxy

TempesT said:
I just got back from having really hot and raw sex with sal and seph, oh my gosh they violated my body many times, IT WAS GREAT!!!!! They have many big dick and used to have sex with my sex holes! Also my armpits are strictly OFF LIMITS especially to foreign weiners.
>:)
[/center]
Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:13:47 am by sal-azul
#11  September 21, 2010, 12:44:17 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Thanks for the comments.

Some suggestions: give some info on the stage selected (name shouldn't be hard, as it is a single text parameter). Also, stages have a 'default' BGM option (which plays when no other tune is specified): display it, and give the option to 'associate' the currently selected BGM to the selected stage (maybe to playtest the tune?).

I understand this would go far beyond the scope of this tool, but a screenshot display of the stage (non-animated) would certainly help

Interesting ideas.  I haven't really thought about doing anything with stages.

EDIT: You should work with compatibility issues with screenpacks. My screenpack, HLoader Mugen 3 Galaxy

Can you be specific about the issues you're talking about?  What problems are there with this screenpack?  Is there somewhere I can download it? (just the select screen system.def, select.def and sff - I don't want to download a 100meg archive)
#12  September 21, 2010, 01:07:02 am
    • Mexico

Can you be specific about the issues you're talking about?  What problems are there with this screenpack?  Is there somewhere I can download it? (just the select screen system.def, select.def and sff - I don't want to download a 100meg archive)

uplaoding my select.def, system.def, and system.sff. Please wait for it

TempesT said:
I just got back from having really hot and raw sex with sal and seph, oh my gosh they violated my body many times, IT WAS GREAT!!!!! They have many big dick and used to have sex with my sex holes! Also my armpits are strictly OFF LIMITS especially to foreign weiners.
[/center]
#13  September 21, 2010, 01:13:51 am
    • Poland
Best tool ever ^^ It's helps alot organize chars. Although I would like to see small feature in - zooming.

I mean if screenpack have alot of slots such as EVE, portraits are kinda small. It could be cool if you can zoom part of select screen (like you can do with picture in MSPaint) so you can see & organize them better.
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#14  September 21, 2010, 01:20:38 am
  • Son of a Mother*ucker
  • Mode Change... Mode 2!
    • Mexico
    • www.freewebs.com/fightingspiritsmexico/
interesting looking tool, very

Clic on the Sign, then on The flags (U.S. 4 English talkers & MX 4 Spanish Talkers), then go to "Descargas/Downloads" And You're in the Downloads Section
#15  September 21, 2010, 01:30:37 am
    • Mexico

TempesT said:
[/center]
#16  September 21, 2010, 01:32:10 am
  • Recreation
#17  September 21, 2010, 01:38:51 am
    • Mexico
Lol I probably need to wait for a stronger version of the program, and yes that is true, HLoader's screenpack takes loads of data. I already have 2.38 gb of MUGEN data using his screenpack and I'm still not half way filling it up :P

TempesT said:
[/center]
#18  September 21, 2010, 01:48:56 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
well here is the select.def/.sff, and the system.def/sff
http://www.4shared.com/file/yOVPsj4o/def.html
no idea whats up maybe a bug?

Strange... this is what I see when I open your system.def:

The error message you're getting suggests the program can't find one of the files.  So, could you let me know the full paths of each of the files (the ones that you sent) on your system?  e.g.
c:\program files\mugen\data\system.def, c:\program files\mugen\data\select.def, etc?

One other thing to check:  make sure you're opening the system.def file, and not the select.def...
#19  September 21, 2010, 02:08:03 am
    • Mexico
c:\program files\mugen\data\system.def
c:\program files\mugen\data\system.sff
c:\program files\mugen\data\select.def
c:\program files\mugen\data\select.sff
will that help? :???:

TempesT said:
[/center]
#20  September 21, 2010, 02:22:11 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Looks fine  :)
Did you try again, making sure to select the system.def file and not select.def?

I'll upload a new version that gives a specific error message if the user does this, as I guess it could easily happen.