YesNoOk

Samurai Shodown! 2 Special (tentative title) (Read 8193 times)

Started by Minakata Moriya, October 17, 2020, 03:10:24 am
Share this topic:
Samurai Shodown! 2 Special (tentative title)
#1  October 17, 2020, 03:10:24 am
    • USA
Sooooo... I'm an old hand at MUGEN from back in the DOS days, and quarantine has given me the perfect excuse to take up a project that I've been mulling over for literal decades.

For the past few months, I've been at work on a fullgame MUGEN project for a while. Specifically, a recreation of Samurai Spirits 64: Warrior's Rage/Samurai Spirits 2 Asura Zanmaden, with heavy influence from its demake, Samurai Shodown! 2 for Neo*Geo Pocket Color. With the help of an absurdly talented sprite artist who periodically frequents this place, I have set out to properly make a good 2D SamSho game. I'm an odd duck, with an irrational love for the flawed Hyper platform and a mild obsession with the aesthetic established in SS3, SSRPG, SS64, SS64WR, and (to a lesser extent) SSWR2 for the original PlayStation. With that in mind, my goal is to find a happy medium between the general feel and aesthetic of SS3/SSRPG and SS2019, to deliver a Neo*Geo-styled conversion of the first Samurai Shodown 3D titles.

Things are early yet, as I've only one completed character (Haohmaru), but the setup I've constructed makes the creation of subsequent characters much easier. Ukyo is coming along nicely, and as a preview, here's the mostly-finished WIP of his super. I'm a stickler for accuracy, and the intent is to make this game feel like a happy medium between SS3 and SS2019. I'm particularly in love with the general aesthetic of SS64, so I wanted to carry that over to a 2D game.

Portraits will be changing to reflect the unified art style of the project's art director, but the one seen is ripped directly from SS64. I also put a lot of work into making the super meter setup of Samurai Shodown 64, including the look and feel of it. Included is the ability for different character to gain POW at different rates and stay in POWed mode for different durations. I've also done some tweaking to the UI, as the video will show.

I hope you enjoy. Stay tuned for more updates as things progress.
Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:18:00 am by Minakata Moriya
Re: Samurai Shodown! 2 Special (tentative title)
#2  October 17, 2020, 08:20:06 am
  • Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken
    • youtube.com/c/ViolinKen
This is very cool.  Ill be following your thread for updates.
  Best of luck with your project! 
Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken

#3  October 17, 2020, 08:31:15 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
spoiler alert: i need to get to work on various art assets. pronto.
Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:31:54 pm by [Judas]

ExL

#4  October 18, 2020, 01:16:43 pm
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
Finally SamSho gets some love :thumbsup: And even my favorite character, Ukyo, is already in, that I'll be looking forward to play, for sure :)
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#5  October 18, 2020, 04:18:31 pm
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
EXCELLENT! Looking foward to it, very well done, for sure. I'm hyped about what's next to expect, hehe
#6  October 21, 2020, 06:34:00 pm
    • USA
Bust DM coming right along... the super portrait is a placeholder, obviously taken from the NGPC.

ExL

#7  October 22, 2020, 02:25:19 pm
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
That's cool :thumbsup: BTW maybe call the game Samurai Showdown: Second Spirit? Just thought it's kinda neat :D
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#8  October 28, 2020, 05:45:56 pm
    • USA
Just a few screens as we go.

#9  November 01, 2020, 12:23:20 am
    • Portugal
i have some new frames i would like to develop a samurai shodown 2 in terms of gameplay, combos i would choose ss7 which is the one that most link blows, i design some sprites like victory, provocation, dizzy, grab style ss2 and others, good luck with your edits, i love samurai shodown!