YesNoOk

Deus Ex : Human Revolution. (Read 11779 times)

Started by Sepp, March 07, 2008, 07:00:30 pm
Share this topic:
Deus Ex : Human Revolution.
#1  March 07, 2008, 07:00:30 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:29:55 pm by Vans
Re: Deus Ex 3
#2  March 07, 2008, 07:48:46 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
Invisible War wasn't numbered, this should be 2.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#3  March 07, 2008, 07:51:51 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I support the notion that Invisible War does not count. :2thumbsup:
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
#4  March 07, 2008, 09:03:57 pm
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
I loved the first one, but i did not play "invisible war" (but i know it was quite hyped  before its release).

I'm probably going to check this new one tough.

I support the notion that Invisible War does not count. :2thumbsup:

is that bad? all that i know about the game is that even the gender of the main character was supposed to be undefined and it was supposed to take the whole augmentation stuff to a new level.
#5  March 08, 2008, 04:47:07 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Oh shi-
...Reinstalling.
Deus Ex: Invisible War
#6  March 08, 2008, 02:25:05 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I'm very biased when it comes to the sequel and generally give too much importance to plot etc. I felt that there wasn't a single deep or likable character in Invisible War, the world was less real and more sterile, divided into small portions (simultaneous console release). The dialog and writing throughout was not engaging.

The over-strong focus on choice meant that, for example, every goddamn structure had conveniently located air conductors. Your freedom of choice of affiliation meant you could kill everyone from side A and they'd still beg you to take over this next assignment they had for you, and so would anybody else in such a stupid manner that almost made it seem as if nothing you did had consequences...

You were part of an elite programm but your two co-students were incredibly dense and unlikable. The AI of enemies was terrible since they were great at detecting you but never hit anything, the damage modifiers on all three difficulty levels was so strange that it somehow seemed you had to shoot even the weakest opponents several times in the back of their head before they dropped, and the harder enemies of the game were created by simply giving them more hitpoints.

There were no strong personalities like Gunther, Anna or Simons had been, and those characters who made an appearance from the original game retained their names but little else. While exploring the original yielded rewarding finds like mysterious documents or whatever, exploring Invisible War only seemed to reveal the inane petty squables of game characters who are all connected to each other in some convienent way. The big organizations of the game have no creditable backup in terms of info material in the game, which is especially ridiculous in case of that Order church that's all over the game but you never even find so much as a text document describing their doctrine or beliefs.

That's a sharp contrast to the extensive use of real world excerpts and the original documents you got in Deus Ex. I think there's little cool original content in it at all, nothing like Petals of Twilight, Jacob's Shadow, The True Way or The Doctrine of the Mighty or anything.

The only real world writing I thought Invisible War referenced that was cool is Frankenstein, but that same excerpt of the novel occurs in half a dozen places in the game, and some of the coolest documents are those recycled from the original . . .

Two gameplay experiences for last: when I first played the game and got some strength amplifications, they enabled me to pick up wooden benches and other stuff. I was in a small open square in some terribly boring setting (was it supposed to be Cairo? something), there were like two benches, a holographic guy babbling on about capitalism, and a bunch of people going round doing nothing and having nothing to say.

Anyway I pick up one of the wooden benches to see what's underneath perhaps (nothing), but instead of setting it down again I throw it. I was standing on one end of the square and the bench flies... it flies in a straight line across the small square, grazes two of the non-player characters on the head---killing them---and shatters on the opposite wall, leaving me quite perplexed.

I only played through the game 1.5 times and the last time I decided to give it another try I played the first few levels to their fullest, exploring everything etc only to get frustrated with the game by the start of the level involving the experimental gun.

What I did then was start a new game, on hard, with the intent on breaking the silly game in some way. So I murdered everybody I saw and could reach, starting with the first friendly trooper ("should I go first or what do we do??") you encounter, going on to the enemies and scientists, then the two "Talk to the chief" soldiers outside of the elevator, the group of thugs, the Order seekers, the security robots, turrets, and climaxing in an entirely successful one-man assault on the character- and security-rich airport entry halls.

Then I sold the game. >:(
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:20:26 pm by Sepp
#7  March 08, 2008, 03:27:32 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_3:

Neither Warren Spector nor Harvey Smith, who were the main creative directors behind the first two games, are attached to the project.

It has been confirmed that the game will be developed using the Crystal Dynamics Engine, which was originally used for the games Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend and Project: Snowblind; O________o (played neither of those games, though)

The last bit of information D'Astous divulged was that Deus Ex 3 had just passed proof of concept, as of late November 2007.

Shots from the teaser trailer supposedly include (taken from http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=661):

* Leonardo Da Vinci’s application of the golden ratio to the human head
* A diagram of a logarithmic golden spiral whose growth factor is related to φ
* A drawing of a golden triangle and the golden function written inside it
* The title page of De human corporis fabrica liborum epitome by Vesalius, an image showing an Anatomical Theatre
* Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt
* An unknown image
* Augmentation detail
* Lament For Icarus by Herbert James Draper
* An x-ray image of a human chest
* Two USG images of the biomodified fetus
* An x-ray image of a human skull
* An image of a couple, with the girl having a mechanical arm
* Prosthetic limbs in a box
* A ballot box for “Biopolitic Vote 2027″,with a voting card with a red X being inserted in it
* A sign saying ‘Augmented people enter from the back’
* A sign saying ‘We do not welcome augmented people here’
* A blurred picture of a street with demonstrants
* Photo of riot police
* An unknown building with a demonstrafion in front of it. One of the demonstrants holds a sign saying ‘No augs’
* Roman numbers III, IV, V and VI, possibly a reference to the decalogue
* A lowercase italic letter ‘h’ and a plus sign in brackets, a symbol used for Transhumanism.

Lament For Icarus is neat, the rest... hmmmm.

Edit: Warren Spector talks Deus Ex 3.
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:36:23 pm by Sepp
#8  June 04, 2010, 02:56:45 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Huge bump.

Shots from upcoming CG trailer for the game (right click -> open image), the trailer is made by Square Enix :P
It looks sort of Blade Runner-ish, also it's name is Deus Ex : Human Revolution. The protagonist looks badass.

also, some details :
Ashpolt said:
Anyway, so I've got the new issue of PC Gamer UK, and rather than being a puff piece about the art or dissecting the upcoming trailer, it is a full (6 page!) proper preview, with screenshots and everything!

Bad news for everyone like me, however: Regenerating health is still in, and still no details on exactly how it will work - though oddly they do give details on how the energy system will work (see below) so I think we can safely assume regenerating health is going to be as simple as it sounds. It may be slow, it may be fast, but I don't think there's going to be more to it than that. I honestly thought after all the uproar about this over the last 2 years that EM would at least add the option not to have this, but apparently not.

More bad news, but tempered with a bit of good / interesting news: Third person cover and takedowns are still in. However, the "interesting" bit of news is that you can move around crates etc, and these are still recognised as valid cover points by the system. Well, I find it interesting. Also, the one shot of the cover system fully in action shows that it is, as expected, just like Rainbow Six Vegas - it doesn't zoom in to cut off peripheral vision or anything, you can see fully round corners.

It's not all bad news, however: the PCG writer has come away with a measured but positive response to the game. I'm still not convinced, but I'll try to report the rest of the info in as neutral a manner as possible (though I am going to offer my impressions / conclusions on some parts, deal with it.) This is going to be a lot of text, I'm afraid, and it's not going to be arranged in any specific order. Anything in quote marks is directly from the mag:

-Crossbow bolts can pin enemies to walls (and potentially ceilings? The article is unclear.)

-"Jensen jumps. Both guards are skewered horifically on flat-tipped blades from his wrists, which retract beneath articulated prosthetic hands before their bodies hit the ground." That'd be one of the third person kill augs we've heard about then.

-"Hmm, this kind of is Deus Ex." Like I say, measured but overall positive.

-The writer encourages us to compare it to DX1, even though he didn't expect to.

-DXHR carries over the parts of the DX template, but "reinents them all to be a lot smoother, slicker and more violent than the original." Smoother and slicker I'm on board with, more violent not so much. Not sure I could get "into" a protagonist as much as I did with JC if he's multilating bodies like it's Soldier of Fortune.

-"I doubt it will be better than Deus Ex 1, but I think it might be comparable." I should probably mention at this point that PC Gamer gave Invisible War 90%+. Keep that in mind!

-"Jensen can kill or concuss anyone with his bare hands at close range, whether they see him coming or not." Further down the article he mentions "instant death melee attacks" so we can confirm one-button kills, Arkham Asylum style, if you're close enough. Sorry guys who were hoping this wouldn't be the case.

-Energy system: "You have an upgradable number of energy 'pips' and the ones you use up don't regenerate. It's only if you run out of energy completely that, very slowly, the energy will be restored."

-Still on energy system: "So you start each mission with a full stock..." Ouch. Definitely don't like this, because it suggests that missions are individual and instanced, rather than one ongoing plot like DX and IW - otherwise how does the energy system know when a "mission" begins?

-They mention that there are things to recharge your energy, but not what these are.

-From Dugas, in a rare moment of not saying something I hate: "We don't want it to be a run and shoot game. If you try to run at the enemies, 2, 3, 4 bullets and you're dead."

-Health system: "It's a shame that you can no longer lose limbs..." Lack of locational damage confirmed. BUGGER. Hardly a surprise given health regen still being there, but gutting nonetheless. I could almost have lived with health regen if they'd found some way to keep in locational damage.

-Example, and I'm going to give a full quote here:
Quote: It [the stealth system] is best explained by example. Snooping through the backrooms of a club to find a certain hacker Jensen hits a T-junction. The cover key is pressed, and he hugs the left wall, which switches the game to third-person mode. As well as letting you see what you're hiding behind, it lets you peek around the next corner without exposing yourself. A thug is coming. He stops, itches, and turns round. The cover key is released, switching us back to first person, strolls up to the thug and attacks. Back to third person, he taps the guard on the shoulder and cold-cocks him."

-In the sequence above, which probably takes place over no more than 3 or 4 seconds, the perspective shifts 4 times (5 if you count the fact that it would shift back to first after the kill had been performed." For those trying to say that a) third person is entirely optional and b) it won't affect the game that much, give it up. You are going to spend a significant amount of this game in third person.

-There are apparently dozens of takedown moves, which are contextual, and have a different effect depending on whether you tap the button (non-lethal) or hold it (lethal, involving wrist blades.) "Both are expertly animated, but my main concern with the game is that it might disconnect you from your character: you don't know which move he'll perform, you watch it from third person, and you're not in control." Make of that what you will.

-Stuff about the setting next: I'll annotate it if people really want, but it's all stuff we've heard before.

-Shanghai is apparently bigger than DX1's Liberty Island - well, I'd kind of hope so! :P

-It is "thick with people" and you can apparently talk to everybody in the game, and not just single pointless lines. I'll be interested to see how this works out.

-"You're a security guard who had his arms blown off" - so definitely not possible to play through the game without getting augmented, despite earlier statements.

-Augmentations are bought with cash from "Limb Clinics," and once bought, they are then upgraded with XP to reflect Adam getting used to them. They start with basic functionality, but higher levels add extra features, rather than just making them more powerful. I'm fine with this system.

-In addition to your arms, there are 19 other augs to choose from (and it seems you can buy them in any order, as long as you have the cash - this is just the impression I get, however.) Each aug has 4 or 5 extra functions unlocked with XP.

-Jensen's voice is gravelly - I think we knew this from the trailers! :P

-Talking about Toufexis' voice, audio director Steve Unspellablesurname said: "That's his natural tone. I didn't want a mimic of JC, but he needed to sound like he's from the same family." Same family, you say? Were you meant to say that, Mr Unspellablesurname? (Seriously, his surname is Szczepkowski.)

-"You're like Clint Eastwood with robot arms, wearing an expensive curtain. Who wouldn't want to play that?"

-Conversations are described as "verbal fights", because depending on your actions, you can either "win" (convince people to share info,) draw (they stay tight lipped, but you can keep trying) or lose outright, and they will refuse to talk to you again. The branching conversation trees are so intricate that apparently it takes 6-8 hours for each one (to plan, I assume, rather than each has that many hours of recorded dialogue!)

-Conversations can be quite long, and emotionally heated - more so than we're used to in games. Interesting.

-Hacking minigame: "You play it on a map of the system's internal workings, trying to capture nodes to ultimately reach the registry. Each node captured carries a chance of detection, and if that happens you have to race to the registry before the system's trace reaches you." I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still none the wiser as to how this will work! The fact that this takes place on a screen in real time and you need to keep an eye out for enemies while you're hacking is reconfirmed, which is good.

-You can pick up bodies - dead or alive, though I sense only "alive" if they're unconscious - and hide them.

-Guards can revive other unconscious guards. That's going to screw over the non-lethal players.

--------------------------------

And that's the main article! Here are a few random notes on the screenshots, boxouts and captions:

-Graphics are fine - they're not astounding, but they're perfectly good enough (screw graphics, we're Deus Ex fans!) and those worrying that the game would be limited by the Underworld engine need not worry any more.

-Your pilot is called Faridah Malik.

-There is a hacker called Tong in the game, but it's not Tracer. PC Gamer refrained from giving spoilers on this point, but warned that this was there choice, not an edict from EM, so other articles may give spoilers - watch out.

-"I asked producer David Anfossi if any characters from the original Deus Ex 1 would be returning in person. 'No.' But then, confusingly, he said that they may have 'cameos.' I tried to get a straighter answer from audio director Steve [Thatsurnameagain] by pretending I already knew. Would the returning characters have the same voice actors? 'You'll know a couple of the people...We got the actors from the first game to come back and reprise their roles.'" Sneaky, Tom Francis!

-The helicopter we've seen from the shots of the upcoming trailer looks almost identical (albeit with worse lighting) in engine. And its license number is 800-BEE. This amuses my inner 6 year old (the one I ate earlier.)

-Nothing in the article at all about collecting augs off dead enemies.

-One of the screenshots shows a room with literally hundreds of lightbulbs on the ceiling. No idea what that's all about.

-Some of the screenshots show Adam in third-person, but clearly not in cover or using an aug - judging from the camera angles though, they look like cutscenes (or possibly conversation scenes - have we actually had confirmation lately that these are definitely first person? Nothing in the article says so) rather than further 3rd person gameplay.

Augs:

There's a boxout mentioning some of the augs, I'm not going to type all the detail but here's a brief overview:

-Enhanced vision: See through walls, analyse structures for weak spots to smash through (so not all walls will be breakable, sadly)

-Mind reading: Hinted this is just during conversations, details still fuzzy.

-Mind control: Awesome. There will be social repurcussions for using this.

-Cloak: No mention of whether this affects bots, or if that's a separate aug.

-Claymore: Multi-kill. Boo.

-"Icarus landing system": :Lets you drop from heights silently and safely, or if you hold the fire button, you slam into the ground and stun nearby enemies.

-Strength: As with Deus Ex, but also dampens recoil, and later on lets you punch through selected walls.

-Wrist blades: We know.

-Hacking module: As expected, but one nice feature is you can set off alarms in remote areas to distract guards. Upgrades also make the minigame easier.

-Mysterious splayed hand: Still no details.

Finally, special mention must go to the Boxguard droid - literally, a robot that unfolds from a perfect cube. Despite my misgivings about parts the rest of the game, whoever designed this deserves a pat on the back, this thing is just awesome and I can't wait to see it in motion.

So there you go - lots of detail to pick apart. Enjoy!

Possible consolitis, however Deus Ex was not known for its combat so it may be good.
Deus Ex : Human Revolution
#9  June 04, 2010, 06:26:35 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:32:27 pm by K.O.D
Re: Deus Ex : Human Revolution.
#10  June 04, 2010, 08:24:05 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
get hype bitches (right click -> open image)

screenshots remind me alot of the first deus ex, mainly the backalley and rooftop.
#11  June 04, 2010, 09:17:38 pm
  • Fuck You.
OMYGODWHIDIDN'TISEETHISBEFOREYOUGOTTABEFUCKINGKIDDINGME

I. Cannot. Wait.
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#12  June 04, 2010, 10:20:21 pm
  • SNK is life
It looks better than good. It looks mighty awesome.
#13  June 08, 2010, 07:36:49 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
#14  June 08, 2010, 09:17:19 pm
  • X is for Xtreme
    • Netherlands
    • Geocities.jp
This looks fcking smexy.
I loved the original Deus Ex, so I'm pretty hyped about this one.
Thanks for the heads up KOD btw.
where there is a will,there is a way。
Sounds like you're just jealous that Duke Nukem has a bigger dick and gets ALL the bitches.
#15  June 08, 2010, 10:16:00 pm
  • FISSION MAILED
    • mugenguild.com/snake/
what exactley does this game play like? i see FPS, 3rdP Cover, looks ala RSV2, but i heard Deus Ex was like and RPG? confirm/enlighten me plzkthx

4/27/09 - Nameless V1 Released
*********Current Projects on Temp. Hold*********
#16  June 08, 2010, 10:25:53 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
First Deus Ex was a FPSRPG by Ion Storm and is still considered to be one of the greatest games in that genre (or even one of the greatest games ever) due to its very open nature, storyline and multitude of choices which was very huge and unique in 2000 and no game has managed to achieve that same degree of depth even until now. (Common saying : bring up Deus Ex anywhere and someone will reinstall it, which is true since i've done it as well many times)

This one is a prequel to the first game which has a different developer (Eidos Montreal) and they've said they're planning to stick the open nature of the first game but with improved combat (cover system, etc.) since the first game wasn't that great on the combat, more details in the above posts i've made.

Some complaints about the regenerating health and lack of player location-based damage though :P

...brb reinstall deus ex
Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:34:41 pm by K.O.D
#17  June 08, 2010, 10:38:48 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#18  June 10, 2010, 06:43:41 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran