YesNoOk

Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/18 with even more fixes) (Read 69164 times)

Started by Sean Altly, October 07, 2020, 09:45:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango)
#21  October 08, 2020, 08:49:20 pm
#22  October 08, 2020, 09:27:52 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Yes! finally the "weirdiest" incarnation of Mario.
Into a solid character.

I'm very curious to see or know about the process of sprite creation.
How the base of Raiden have been used in some animations without keeping a pixel of it.
I'm curious about the steps before having this result.
#23  October 09, 2020, 05:13:08 am
  • Fist of Nothingness
  • I'm not powerful.
    • Mexico
    • j_llamosa@hotmail.com
This character... this day... this game behind... this, this is called happiness. Thanks dear Sean.
#24  October 11, 2020, 03:34:55 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
@Nemuresu

Thanks again, I'm looking into the clone issue, I think it's some improperly coded hit overrides as I don't use them often. The other stuff is easy, thanks for pointing it out. I clearly should have tested that super way more than I did. I'll have a fix up soon.

EDIT: Fixed! Updated the links in the first post!

@Nedflandeurse

I think I have a more detailed description of this in another thread, but basically I apply a silhouette palette to the original sprites (in this case it was a lot of Raiden, Chang, and a couple of other sources), then export them. Then I resize as needed and draw over the silhouette with new pixels.

@Everyone else

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I'm glad people are having fun and appreciate the work. If you find any more bugs, let me know!

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:22:47 am by Sean Altly
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/10 with bug fixes)
#25  October 11, 2020, 09:56:03 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA

Can't download the update. My computer keeps saying it detects a virus in it and says this: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

I used both links and it blocked both of them. I downloaded the previous version before and it was fine, so what's going on?
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#26  October 11, 2020, 11:15:02 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
Can't download the update. My computer keeps saying it detects a virus in it and says this: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

I used both links and it blocked both of them. I downloaded the previous version before and it was fine, so what's going on?

Seems to be just you. False positive.
#27  October 11, 2020, 11:55:07 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA

Seems to be just you. False positive.
Yep, it is. Tried downloading through a different browser and it was successful without a hitch. Guess Chrome didn't like the file for some reason.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.
#28  October 11, 2020, 12:42:56 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
@Nemuresu

Thanks again, I'm looking into the clone issue, I think it's some improperly coded hit overrides as I don't use them often. The other stuff is easy, thanks for pointing it out. I clearly should have tested that super way more than I did. I'll have a fix up soon.

EDIT: Fixed! Updated the links in the first post!

@Nedflandeurse

I think I have a more detailed description of this in another thread, but basically I apply a silhouette palette to the original sprites (in this case it was a lot of Raiden, Chang, and a couple of other sources), then export them. Then I resize as needed and draw over the silhouette with new pixels.

@Everyone else

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I'm glad people are having fun and appreciate the work. If you find any more bugs, let me know!

Thanks for your reply.
The result is really good.
#29  October 12, 2020, 07:30:48 am
  • I make characters with huge asses!
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/Kazecat
He really is a lot of fun!  I love ideas like this in mugen and It was a real joy to play.  Thank you so much for your creation!
#30  October 12, 2020, 08:28:16 am
  • LetPlaySomeGames
    • USA
    • mastergem117@gmail.com
    • https://mastergem117.wixsite.com/miltjrsite
I was more surprise on how much fun he was to play
#31  October 12, 2020, 09:01:07 am
  • Michael Romance
  • I wish you peace!
    • Brazil
#32  October 13, 2020, 05:43:13 pm
  • I make characters with huge asses!
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/Kazecat

I did a run of arcade mode with Mario Mario going up against a bunch of my fat characters.  It may be helpful if you wanna notice some things of his tool kit that may need work or just wanna watch someone use your characters for a while.  Despite the challenge I had a fantastic time, so I really appreciate the work you put into this character. 

CW: My characters clearly aren't everyone's cup of tea. 

DW

#33  October 17, 2020, 04:21:31 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Aye! Leave it to my boi Sean to peak some interest in me. God bless you and Jango for this lol. I'll try him out and hit you with some feedback later.

Update:

Alright, so after sitting down with him for a bit, I like what's going on here. There is some stuff I want to address/suggest though to help refine him a bit:

-Big Water Damage super should be unblockable for airborne opponents to increase it's effectiveness. Also, while this isn't particularly important, I wanted to note that the beam fx for it shouldn't be effected by hitpause. It makes it look odd that it doesn't flow thru p2, pausing as it hits.

-Your chaining set up feels a bit odd. Mainly you don't allow LP -> LK with the chaining. You should, along with air chaining as well. I honestly would suggest allowing for chaining to work as it does in the Capcom games, with punches to kicks so long as it's the same strength level or higher. So, I'm suggesting you allow him to do LP > LK > HP > HK. While also allowing deviation between crouching and standing attacks.

-(EX)Tool Time restricts Mario from using it again until one he uses prior is completely destroyed. This hurts his zoning potential very much. It's odd, because you have his Flameball projectile restricted properly, but not Tool Time. He should be allowed to throw another tool once a prior tool is no longer in a active state. I believe he can use Tool Time and Fireball together, which should be retained.

-Can't perform crouching normals from running. I also think he can't perform any specials or super either from running. Only standing normals.

-While not really important, my OCD won't allow me to not mention: His Fireball projectile should destroy itself once off screen. Not go into it's disperse state.

-Jump in combos feel strict for him. I'm assuming because you don't have it to where he can perform grounded attacks during his landing state. Stateno 52 commonly, but Idk if you changed this for your game. At any rate, I suggest allowing this, because the extra ticks you have to wait before attacking from your landing state, allows p2 to recover.

-I'm not sure his Flameball projectile should knock down p2. It travels slower than a traditional projectile as you noted in the readme. When a projectile behaves this way, it's usually used to allow the player to apply pressure to opponents. He has the tiny Ba-Bombs to help with this, along with Tool Time, though if the Fireball hits, it'll knock p2 down and Mario can't capitalize on it. If it didn't knock down, it would help him get in on p2 for CQC damage.

-Maybe allow Thwomp Stomper to be done in the air also? It'd give him a nice little gimmick option with changing the trajectory on his air approach.

I may have some more later when I sit down with him a bit more. I think I did have something else, but can't remember right now. :P
Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:26:52 pm by DW
#34  October 18, 2020, 01:28:24 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20

Sean and Jango, you did a great job. Never expect to see such amazing version of the Mario from the infamous movie. :)
#35  October 18, 2020, 04:05:32 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
My replies in bold, good sir!

Aye! Leave it to my boi Sean to peak some interest in me. God bless you and Jango for this lol. I'll try him out and hit you with some feedback later.

Update:

Alright, so after sitting down with him for a bit, I like what's going on here. There is some stuff I want to address/suggest though to help refine him a bit:

-Big Water Damage super should be unblockable for airborne opponents to increase it's effectiveness. Also, while this isn't particularly important, I wanted to note that the beam fx for it shouldn't be effected by hitpause. It makes it look odd that it doesn't flow thru p2, pausing as it hits. Good point on both counts, fixed!

-Your chaining set up feels a bit odd. Mainly you don't allow LP -> LK with the chaining. You should, along with air chaining as well. I honestly would suggest allowing for chaining to work as it does in the Capcom games, with punches to kicks so long as it's the same strength level or higher. So, I'm suggesting you allow him to do LP > LK > HP > HK. While also allowing deviation between crouching and standing attacks. The chaining is like that for all the CvTW characters save for a few of the smaller faster ones who do less damage.

-(EX)Tool Time restricts Mario from using it again until one he uses prior is completely destroyed. This hurts his zoning potential very much. It's odd, because you have his Flameball projectile restricted properly, but not Tool Time. He should be allowed to throw another tool once a prior tool is no longer in a active state. I believe he can use Tool Time and Fireball together, which should be retained. Alright, just fixed this, thanks for pointing it out!

-Can't perform crouching normals from running. I also think he can't perform any specials or super either from running. Only standing normals. Whoops, the crouching normal thing is an oversight in the CvTW template I keep meaning to fix. However, as far as specials and supers, is there something I'm missing there because it seems like as soon as you start to enter a command while running it will take him out of the runstate anyway. I'm not sure how you could enter a special or super command while running that wouldn't cause him to stop running. Or is this an AI thing?

-While not really important, my OCD won't allow me to not mention: His Fireball projectile should destroy itself once off screen. Not go into it's disperse state. How can you tell if it's off screen? This is a genuine question, not sarcasm or anything. Or can you just tell from the code?

-Jump in combos feel strict for him. I'm assuming because you don't have it to where he can perform grounded attacks during his landing state. Stateno 52 commonly, but Idk if you changed this for your game. At any rate, I suggest allowing this, because the extra ticks you have to wait before attacking from your landing state, allows p2 to recover. I have it so he gets control after 3 ticks, which it turns out is the entire length of his landing anim. I can fix this as well.

-I'm not sure his Flameball projectile should knock down p2. It travels slower than a traditional projectile as you noted in the readme. When a projectile behaves this way, it's usually used to allow the player to apply pressure to opponents. He has the tiny Ba-Bombs to help with this, along with Tool Time, though if the Fireball hits, it'll knock p2 down and Mario can't capitalize on it. If it didn't knock down, it would help him get in on p2 for CQC damage. Okay, so I made it so that the HP one knocks down but the LP one doesn't.

-Maybe allow Thwomp Stomper to be done in the air also? It'd give him a nice little gimmick option with changing the trajectory on his air approach. I may add this, but the idea is he's using the boots to lift up into the air for the stomp, so it feels weird to me to have him do it mid-air, though I guess I coule reason that he's always using the lifts to jump, so ehhhh

I may have some more later when I sit down with him a bit more. I think I did have something else, but can't remember right now. :P
Hit me with it when you remember!

Thanks for the feedback man, I will update the link soon with the fixes!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/S5kAFtYuWyY[/youtube]

Sean and Jango, you did a great job. Never expect to see such amazing version of the Mario from the infamous movie. :)

Awesome, thanks! My friend Pat (the basis for Sabotage) who voiced him, is really getting a kick out of all the videos people are making.

Download Last Bout now!
#36  October 18, 2020, 04:08:42 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Pat did top notch voicing Mario Mario. I was thinking you got the man himself voicing this character. Very convincing VA work on his part.
Re: Mario Mario by SeanAltly (and Jango) (Updated 10/17 with fixes)
#37  October 18, 2020, 04:23:40 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Thanks, I'll let him know, we had a lot of fun writing and recording the lines.

Also, I updated the first page with the new fixes from DW's feedback! Gonna just go with the Mediafire link from now on since I can update the file without changing the link itself.

Download Last Bout now!
#38  October 18, 2020, 04:47:55 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Awesome, thanks! My friend Pat (the basis for Sabotage) who voiced him, is really getting a kick out of all the videos people are making.

Oh, great to know that Sean. Pat did well in the VA for Mario Mario. :)
#39  October 18, 2020, 04:51:30 am
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
Gonna just go with the Mediafire link from now on since I can update the file without changing the link itself.

Just out of curiosity: you've got a site right here at MugenGuild.  Is there a reason you choose to host your characters at a file sharing site instead of your personal site?
#40  October 18, 2020, 04:59:35 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
A user that isn't really around anymore used to handle that mostly. I ended up figuring out how to use it but haven't messed with it in like 7 or 8 years I think and since I've been back I've been too lazy to redownload the FTP and relearn everything. :/

Download Last Bout now!