YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17342380 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2301  May 05, 2020, 09:06:21 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
It probably still makes sense sticking strictly to canon because of the basis on how The Force works trumping over Kakashi's chakra-based skills, Obi-Wan's defensive tactics winning over Kakashi's tricks before attacking and overall his control of the battlefield, it's just the far-reaching extra feats by comparison to other Star Wars characters they're tacking onto Obi-Wan in addition that seems unnecessary and way outside his wheelhouse.  Basic concept's sound, just the numbers won't match canon material, like, at all.  Like, last "biggest feat ever" I can recall was prior to Disney's Star Wars when George Lucas helped out on The Force Unleashed and made a point of Starkiller's big moment of using all his strength to pull a star destroyer out of orbit, crashing on the planet's surface.  That would never be something Obi-Wan could remotely compare to, and that's ridiculously less impressive than just throwing multiple of them around in space as one so pleases.

Correct winner, wrong reasons why.
#2302  May 12, 2020, 12:46:14 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Danny Sexbang

Jake Short

Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:27:07 am by Person Man
#2303  May 18, 2020, 12:53:39 am
    • UK
Watched it early next time is
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2304  May 18, 2020, 07:48:03 pm
    • USA

Huh, actually relatively within each show's respective range of violence and/or gore.  That's nice.  Gotten used to them abusing Pokémon I guess, was expecting some guts to spill out of habit.

And now the video's private.  Odd.  My guess would be probably because the upload didn't have their advertisement before the fight, they uploaded the wrong one, the one from their members-only site.

And we're back.
Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:02:57 am by Long John Killer
#2305  May 19, 2020, 01:01:14 am
    • USA
I loved Danny Phantom and never watched a single second of American Dragon growing up, so my expectations were a little skewed going into this one.  Although I will say that it was actually super interesting to see a fight between such relatively low-power characters.  Since strength or speed didn't boil down to "this character is equal to 2000 yottatons of TNT," the comparisons between their abilities and skills became a lot more relevant in their decision making.

Next up is the battle of warrior princesses and not a Xena to be found.  Wonder if they'll stick with classic She-Ra or the Netflix reboot, since to my understanding they're pretty wildly different interpretations of the character.
#2306  May 19, 2020, 03:18:49 am
    • USA
Jake Long would have made a lot more sense on his end being paired with Juniper Lee, but I understand DB's dilemma trying to get a proper match with Danny Phantom that hit the criteria of cartoons of that era that weren't either curbstomps against him or else unable to fight due to his general ghostly nature.  It was still a nice fight overall I'd say.

I haven't checked the Netflix She-Ra either, but my understanding of it is it's so far-flung from the original it's practically its own unrelated property.  It doesn't even have a He-Man or Castle Greyskull as I understand it?  At most they can possibly compare feats of power exerted from the sword, but even that might be unfair when so different from one-another.

It's funny, I recall from the He-Man vs Justice League comic run that the ongoing joke was She-Ra is Wonder Woman's better in everything, she's literally WW 2.0, but that was during New 52's run.  DB's going to do their usual composite deal and from the last episode with WW vs Thor, it would seem to me She-Ra doesn't have a chance in hell of touching WW, never mind winning.  Gonna be amusing to have a DB contradict their official crossover, but hey, haven't seen She-Ra since.....I dunno, Toonami times, so like 15-20 years ago or whatever, so maybe I'm forgetting some key feats from the show that are better than shard bullets being sniped from every edge of the universe all at once.  I remember she's supposed to be He-Man's superior in nearly every fashion, but that's not exactly on D.C.'s level of power scaling.

Oh.  Also, these happened.

So that's different.
Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:27:09 am by Long John Killer
#2307  May 20, 2020, 12:02:23 pm
    • Germany
I guess they will go with Classic She-Ra and I also guess that she will win, even if some of her abilities are inconsistent, because Death Battle always go's for the maximum potential etc.

She is at least as strong as He-Man wo can push moons, and that even without an Power Enhencer like his Harness.
She is a smart tactician.
She is nearly invulnerable.
She has super speed and is for example fast enough to deflect energie beams with her Sword.
The Sword of Protection can transform into anything she needs.
She has Healing Powers and limited telepathy.
And probably some more 80's bullshit protagonist Powers I can't remember right now. ^^

Wonder Woman has similar powers but I think her only advantages are that she can Fly without outside help and her Lasso of Truth that has as many powers as she needs in the comics, and that has afaik even the convenient power to turn people who have been magicaly transformed back into theirs base form.

So if Wonder Woman is able to tie She-Ra up with her Golden Bondage Rope then she wins, but if not then I think She-Ra will win.

Btw. Has Wonder Woman still her old Weaknesses or did they Remove them with the New 52/Rebirth stuff?

But since my knowledge is limited it is totaly possible that I missed many stuff from recent comics or other Media. ö.ö
#2308  May 20, 2020, 05:40:15 pm
    • USA
I'd imagine She-Ra is physically stronger, I don't recall anything happening that ended up being a bigger deal than their previous feat of pulling 1/3rd of the Earth, but the speed factor's a whole other deal, reacting to blocking shots from every corner of the universe all shot at once not even at her specifically but the person she's defending getting sniped.  Combining that with those "cut through literally everything at an atomic level" swords and it's hard to vouch for anything else mattering, the fight's over in an instant since there isn't much one can do to defend against that cutting through any form of defense or attempt a first strike and/or even get through Diana's reaction speed.  It's not even like if you can find a way to break Diana's swords you're really nerfing her, she can just pull out more out of hammerspace, Adora's stuck with the one.

Cool fight idea, looking forward to see how they play it out, and much more even-leveled when it's just the one reboot Diana.  But quite stacked in her favor when it's DB's composite combined with D.C.'s writing ridiculousness.
#2309  May 20, 2020, 05:52:45 pm
didn't wonder woman lift a book with infinite pages? then pushing the moon isn't that big of a deal to her.
#2310  May 20, 2020, 06:41:16 pm
    • USA
That was Superman.  It was one of DB's key defining reasons why they had him win the Goku fight, which was....debatable within the community, if nothing else.  It probably shouldn't be taken into account, it appears that even if we scale WW to Superman due to their often comparisons, Supes was under some sort of temporary buff to do that book feat to begin with, it's not something he can just do thus a poor bar to compare to.  And typically the comparison's rounded down to he's stronger, she's faster in combat. (And I think on foot in a race?  There was some official chart rating the speedsters of D.C. a while ago)  Something we all pretty much assumed anyways, and often alluded to in various media just not given hard numbers to compare and because of the wide range of inconsistencies in comics it'd be hard to find a mathematical value of how specifically less strong, more fast she is to him.

And I don't think her personal strength is going to be the winning factor in this fight anyways, so long as she can take the hits if they even manage to connect.
#2311  May 25, 2020, 07:15:30 pm
    • USA
Shiba

Wonder Bread Redux

Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:21:03 am by Person Man
#2312  June 01, 2020, 07:36:32 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
eh...
#2313  June 01, 2020, 11:25:03 pm
    • USA
I can't believe I made a joke about them using yottatons as an intentionally absurd measurement metric and then very next episode they turn around and actually use it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

So the main series is on hiatus until August, but the next episode will be Beerus vs... someone.  Hoo boy, sure can't wait for all the Dragon Ball fanboys to crawl out of the woodwork again to explain how incredibly angry they are about it regardless of who wins.
Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:34:30 pm by Person Man
#2314  June 02, 2020, 12:38:21 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Well, that was one sided... On the bright side, it means that Wonder Woman has won her last two fights in Death Battle, making her the first to do so (I think)

Now that you have Beerus coming in the next battle in a few months, it's fair to start speculation on who he can face... problem is that Beerus is batshit insane levels of strong compared to Goku. So, who in the hell could you have to pick for a fight against what is considered a threat that the Kais take seriously.
#2315  June 02, 2020, 02:33:50 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Maybe they'll bring in the Shrike, and we all can relive all the insane "who would win in a fight" message board arguments of yesteryear.
#2316  June 02, 2020, 03:16:44 am
    • USA
Come to think of it, they could feasibly sell him as an opponent for Saitama.  They're both presented as immeasurably powerful, god-like figures who're so strong they're no longer capable of giving a shit, and they both are constantly limiting their own strength to try and make fights slightly less boring.
#2317  June 02, 2020, 07:23:45 am
    • USA
Death Battle wouldn't have the stigma about Dragon Ball characters if they've gotten at least one of them outside the joke character portrayed right.  I'd imagine it wouldn't have lasted on and on too long after Goku vs Superman 2 if they didn't just make stuff up about Android 18 to coincide with Xenoverse 2.

Now that you have Beerus coming in the next battle in a few months, it's fair to start speculation on who he can face... problem is that Beerus is batshit insane levels of strong compared to Goku.
The Tournament of Power implied Goku surpassed Beerus with Ultra Instinct.  Now you got the whole plot hang-up on him actually using the thing right in the manga, but yeah, Beerus was the bar set by his movie going forward through Super.  That was pasted two years ago now, I think?

The internal cast of Death Battle had Sailor Galaxia as his would-be opponent ages ago, but the percentage of people requesting that I highly doubt cracks the double digits.  Which to be frank, would be a bizarre first choice for a Sailor Moon rep to show up in this series?  Also that would be an episode made 80% of power levels made by second-hand claims, neither Beerus or Galaxcia DO much of anything in their respective series, just we know they're stupidly powerful beyond imagination and are all about destruction energy, the usual spiel.  I dunno about Saitama though, in their Death Battle Cast podcasts Ben's said he doesn't put much faith in the whole "no limits" thing to Saitama, and he's way down the totem pole to Dragon Ball characters either by feats or Word of God.  Which....yeah, he kinda is, Krillin can feasibly best him easily, no reason to waste Beerus on him.  Especially since the comparison between them beyond having an ego is....what, one is all-powerful in his universe, the other was the new wall to climb and has been?  Wouldn't be my first choice is all I'm saying.
Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:30:15 am by Long John Killer
#2318  June 02, 2020, 12:58:28 pm
    • USA
No offense intended in any way, shape, or form here, but "a low-level B-List jobber character from Dragon Ball could still effortlessly destroy someone who is demonstrably the strongest existence in his entire universe" is exactly the kind of blind fanboy over-hyping that makes putting Dragon Ball characters in Death Battle so utterly insufferable.  Dragon Ball HAS to always be the best and the coolest.  Every individual character in Dragon Ball HAS to be the strongest and most powerful character in all forms of media ever conceived of.  Anything that even vaguely, accidentally suggests otherwise is wrong and terrible and the person who said it is a biased hater who is too stupid to know how cool Dragon Ball is, but is also somehow jealous that Dragon Ball is cooler than (other thing).  It's the worst.
Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:31:56 am by Person Man
#2319  June 02, 2020, 08:47:19 pm
    • USA
I wasn't intending it as "blind fanboying", I'm being bluntly honest.  Heck, in that case, OPM has a similar issue, take away this whole notion of Saitama can not lose because it's funny and compare them, he's just outclassed.  But then he's not the best and the coolest, and that's a big no-no.

I don't care when the characters lose that much if it makes sense, I do get annoyed when they're ridiculously mis-represented in feats or just out of character.  It's not just Dragon Ball, obviously, it's just more consistently inconsistent there.  Because sure, why not have Goku try to destroy a city with a blast in the rematch, inadvertently or not, only for Superman to stop it, it's not like it wasn't topical at the time with Man of Steel showing wanton destruction and Battle of Gods deliberately go out of its way to not cause city-wide damage?
#2320  June 03, 2020, 07:10:51 am
    • Brazil
Death Battle has been innacurate before, but Dragon Ball isn't a good example of that. Dragon Ball (like many other anime), overexaggerates the abilities of the characters and making every fight feel more dramatic than it deserves to be, hell, it still seems like its trying to portray Goku as a good character, while, realistically, he is an idiot incapable of thinking about the consequences of his actions to the point where he became almost insufferable. I cannot imagine who would end up fighting Beerus, but I know one thing: it will be innacurate from the start, because we don't know Beerus' limits, unless they bring a character whose limits are well known, just so said character can lose, which is boring and predictable. Anyway, I don't care much about the analysis anymore, I'll just enjoy the animation and hope its not 3D again.