YesNoOk

The Union - Beat-em up Fighter (Read 11571 times)

Started by trexrell44, October 03, 2020, 09:19:01 pm
Share this topic:
The Union - Beat-em up Fighter
#1  October 03, 2020, 09:19:01 pm
  • Celestial Tear: Video games and comics collide
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com
Hey Everyone,

I want to introduce you to a project we have been working on called The Union.

The Union is a Hip hop, retro beat em’ up, fighter with heroes, urban legends, and deities from throughout the universe. Inspired by retro arcade and console beat em’ ups such as Streets of Rage, Turtles in Time, The Simpsons arcade, Saturday Night Slammasters, and X-men arcade game.

The Union is a fast-paced, indie super powered action fighting game that combines the mechanics and structure of arcade beat 'em ups with modern fighters. The Union presents a new cross-genre experience unlike anything seen before. With a varied and unique Hip hop soundtrack, The Union provides a unique and new experience.  Fans of Streets of Rage 4, Fight and Rage, and even the classic Turtles in Time will all find something to relish in this action-packed adventure.

https://whiteguardianstudios.com/the-union/

Let me know what you guys think and I will keep you updated with its development. It's being built with the Unity engine, and if there are any questions I will be more than welcome to answer them.

Currently working on the beat em' up fighter called the Union.
Re: The Union - Beat-em up Fighter
#2  October 04, 2020, 01:12:43 pm
Hey I think this project is pretty cool. I love when hiphop gets infused into other media though there isn't enough of it, I can only think of the Def Jam series and San Andres off the top of my head. I do have some questions:
We are some of you and your team's hip hop influences?
What era or type hip hop are you trying to go for in the game?
What are the heros' names?
Do you have lore behind all your characters?
Ten player characters is a lot, for me that aspect would bog down development time, do you have a good work flow to create them?
What are you trying to do for the combat system? Target combos, light and heavy combos? ( I can elaborate more with examples if you wish)
How will the super powers work in game?
Will level progression be linear or branching paths or pseudo open exploration.
Probably should have been the first but how long have you been in development?
Anyway it looks cool. I really like the design of the character with dreads he's like if Mobius was black and also a witch Doctor.
#3  October 04, 2020, 11:18:32 pm
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com
Hey Roks, Thanks for the questions.

1.What are some of you and your team's hip hop influences? What era or type hip hop are you trying to go for in the game?

We want to incorporate the hip hip into the characters and regions they represent. This includes hip hop from different periods of time as well as we wanted to celebrate all the positive influences it has had on the world. Early Boom bap from NY and the east side(Wu Tang Clan) to the early southern Hip hop from Mephis and the south(Three 6 Mafia). We will also cover some music from modern day incarnations of the genre so it would be a mix. The music will be inspired from artist and regions and not replicas.

What are the heros' names? Do you have lore behind all your characters?
Most of these characters are from independent comic books.

Project : Wildfire(Red Cape) and Faze(Pink and white) are from the comic of the same name. He is a hero who who fights Kai Ju similar to Ultraman. He has can fly and uses plasma beams. Faze assist him in his endeavors and she has the ability to become intangible and change the atomic integrity of any object.

Stealth is a hero from Atlanta who starts a career in crime fighting after the death of his police officer brother. He is struck by lighting and gains super speed, strength and a small healing factor.

Ogun(Metal manipulation), Eshu(Travels the crossroads) and Oshun(Light manipulation) are Orisha from Africa who protect the earth from menavolent dieties.

Pink Hammer is the weilder of an ancient power called the Crimson Spirit Force. The power is housed in a heirloom hammer and she weilds this to protect the universe from the chaotic Entity.

Spirit is a Hatian American who died from a tragic accident only to be brought back to life from ancient magic. She now fights the dark forces from the Astral plane with powers that she weilds from the afterlife

Sen, Kerell and Trone are characters from our game universe called the Celestial Tear where they protect all reality from the destruction of the Void.

Ten player characters is a lot, for me that aspect would bog down development time, do you have a good work flow to create them?

We plan to create the characters in phases the first phase will consist of 4 characters, From there we will perfect those characters through testing and feedback. We will begin to release the other characters one at a time and the final aspect of the game will be the beat 'em up/story mode which will be released in the final phase.

What are you trying to do for the combat system? Target combos, light and heavy combos? ( I can elaborate more with examples if you wish)

Currently, the main combos are autocombos upon hit confirm these can continue throughout the 4 -6 character specfic string and can be canceled into evasive rolls and dodges or special moves.  There is also a focused attack which can be canceled into that can frame trap an opponent. There is also a tracking dash attack which can be used to get closer to the player faster. Characters special moves will have popup and ground bounce capabilities which can extend combos and come up with creative variations to extend damage.

There is unique machanic in this game that uses the MP meter as an extra layer of protection/life. When you block you deplete your MP, but it protects you HP from special moves. If hit by a special move and the player will recieve direct damage to their HP. If the player has no Hp but has MP the player can still fight but once that is depleted the player will lose.

How will the super powers work in game?

The player will start off with a full bar of power, melee moves and combos will replenish the powerbar but using special moves and blocking will deplete it. If the player is thrown they will also lose MP. Mp can be used to block special moves from depleting the HP directly.

Will level progression be linear or branching paths or pseudo open exploration.

Level progression currently is linear. The beat em up is complimentary to the fighting system as we wanted to have mechanics that worked well in both modes.

Probably should have been the first but how long have you been in development?

We have been producing content and generating ideas for this project for a few months not, we have just recently got into development for this. We have been working on a few other commercial projects up until this point and we have had a bit of time to dedicate to The Union.
#4  October 07, 2020, 12:20:28 am
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com

We talked about a few of Oshun's animations on The Union stream last night and how her gameplay might be a little over the top.

Oshun has abilities from the deity of the same name in the Horsemen universe. Her powers revolve around her control of light. In the Horsemen books by Griot Enterprises, she was capable of destroying multiple factories at once as her body became a bright beacon of destruction. We want to interpret that power within her abilities and playstyle.

Let us know what you think!

Thanks for all your support!

- Yin & Rell
#5  October 07, 2020, 09:51:18 pm
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com

In The Union, Sen's idle stance reflected a more aggressive demeanor. Although we are still using it as her ice stance, we wanted the water stance to highlight more of what the character is capable of doing.

Sen's old stance (Ice stance)

We opted to go with something more of what a zoner may have. Her hands are ready to attack at a distance, but she is not in what you would call a melee stance. I believe she reflects a more aggressive mage or magic-user.

Let us know what you think! We look forward to your critique!

- Yin & Rell
#6  October 08, 2020, 11:51:09 pm
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com

This is one of the versions of the robot enemy, Model 88, in The Union. We plan to do several variations with different colors, weapons, and functions. This would be the melee version of the enemy which will use his contractible long limbs to attack the player.

Let us know what you think! I was considering doing adding more rotation in the torso and more movement in the legs. Well... Yin said to do more movement in the legs, so we shall see how that goes.

Thanks for all the support!

- Yin & Rell

#7  October 09, 2020, 12:17:35 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
looks like Sen is gonna be my main.
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#8  October 09, 2020, 12:24:51 am
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com
#9  October 09, 2020, 09:12:22 pm
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com

In the Horsemen universe, there is this drug developed that can enhance a user's strength, stamina, and speed at the cost of their sanity.  A very potent form can cause an addictive and aggressive nature. These individuals are recruited into the Chimera Guard and are a powerful weapon against the Orisha.

#10  October 09, 2020, 11:53:43 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/

In the Horsemen universe, there is this drug developed that can enhance a user's strength, stamina, and speed at the cost of their sanity.  A very potent form can cause an addictive and aggressive nature. These individuals are recruited into the Chimera Guard and are a powerful weapon against the Orisha.

i can see that reach being annoying lol
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#11  October 13, 2020, 02:07:37 am
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com

We are going to be working on getting Oshun and Project Wildfire in-game soon but tonight on our Twitch Stream we are going to be refining Sen so that we can have a cool little tech demo going. 

This however is Oshun's air attack(currently). I think we are going a bit over the top with this character as she seems like the ultimate zoner. As we refine her gameplay it's becoming very apparent that she might be one of the most dominating characters in the game so far!

Thanks for the support we are looking forward to showing you much more soon!

-Yin&Rell
#12  November 10, 2020, 10:32:21 pm
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com
Early first look at The Union

#13  November 11, 2020, 03:51:55 pm
  • SNK is life
Good stuff man! I really like the background assets, and the animations are looking good too. Keep us posted of your work :beam:
#14  November 12, 2020, 04:08:31 am
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com
Good stuff man! I really like the background assets, and the animations are looking good too. Keep us posted of your work :beam:

Thanks! Will do!

In the recent trailer, we posted we highlighted a small portion of Oshun's combo attacks. We really like this animation as it has a lot of elements that we love about the character. Speed, acrobatics, flight, and power.

Oshun has all that in spades and I believe her primary combo string here showcases it well.

Let us know what you think!  We look forward to showing you more!

- Yin & Rell
#15  December 04, 2020, 01:53:24 am
    • USA
    • trexrell44@hotmail.com

The Union : Oshun's Air Blast

This is a projectile attack that Oshun shoots in the air and that eventually bolts back down in a vertical attack. This will work as an anti air of sorts, but also a zoning skill that will keep opponents at bay.

Oshun is looking like a zoning monster, keep in mind there will be some balancing that has to be done, but so far we are liking the direction we are taking with her.

In the Union, every character has a dash attack that tracks to help the player get closer to the enemy with a unique technique. For Oshun, this has materialized into a bit of a throw. We may change that since having Oshun's dash attack function like a command throw could unbalance her as a zoner.

Let us know what you think!