YesNoOk

K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version) (UPDATED 8/5/14) (Read 91714 times)

Started by Sean Altly, June 27, 2012, 06:45:25 am
Share this topic:
K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version) (UPDATED 8/5/14)
#1  June 27, 2012, 06:45:25 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

Okay, this one I will honestly need some opinions on. First of all, let's get these two things out of the way:

1. Yes, I am using Dampir's sprite set, which I know a lot of folks don't like. However, I think with a different palette, and some edits here and there by myself, he will look fine and no more out of place than the MVC characters or my original sprites.

2. The "King of Fighters '99" in the topic title just refers to the first game he appeared in. He will not be adhering to just his KoF99 moves.

Which brings me to the opinion part. KoF characters have such varying movesets through the years, that I want to get everyone's thoughts on exactly what should or should not make it into this version of K'. What I have after this is a very tentative movelist. Please let me know if you think I'm forgetting something vital, or if I'm including something that isn't necessary. I'm basing my version on KOD's Ultimate K', since it's open source. Anyway, here goes:

UNIQUE TACTIC

Ignite - S Button
    -Much like Ryu's "Karmic Shift," this move effects K's next attack. However, unlike karmic Shift, which effects only specials and supers, Ignite effects only normals, giving his next normal or command move fire FX, extra damage and more hitstun. Also unlike Ryu's, these can be store dup. With every completed taunt animation, he gets one more stock of "Ignite." So, if you manage to pull off the move 3 or 4 times in a row, it will change the next 3 or 4 normals he does, meaning you can do whole combos while "ignited." I will probably have ti put a cap on this to prevent hugely damaging combos, probably 5 or 6.

COMMAND MOVES

Knee Assault - F+LK
    -A jumping knee attack. Has overhead properties -- for some reason.

Sniper Side - F+HK
    -A sidestep kick with lots of range.

One Inch - F+LP
    -One-inch punch that stuns the opponent.

SPECIAL MOVES

Eins Trigger - QCF+P
    -His classic close-range flame projectile. Here are the follow-ups:
         Blackout - B+LK or HK
         Second Shoot - F+LK
         Second Shell - F+HK
         Narrow Spike - QCB+K

Minute Spike - QCB+K (in air also)
    -K's flying kick attack. Ground version can be followed up with:
         Narrow Spike - QCB+K

Crow Bite - DP+P
    -K's anti-air flaming uppercut. HP version can be followed up with:
         Tsuika Kougeki - F+HK

Air Trigger - QCF+K in air
    -K's weird kick projectile. I am aware some people are not a fan of this move.

Blackout - QCF+K
    -K's sliding/dash teleport type move.

SUPER MOVES

L1 - Heat Drive - QCF+S
    -Sliding explosive strike. Hold S to delay. if delayed to max, it becomes unblockable.

L1 - Heaven Drive - DP+S
    -Shoryureppa-type move with a Tsuika Kougeki at the end.

L3 - Chain Drive - HCB+S
    -K' throws his sunglasses at his opponent, and if they hit, he launches into a vicious flurry of attacks. Since this is a L3, it will end with a modified Heat Drive.

Here are some screens (more in the spoiler blah blah blah):

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:09:19 am by Sean Altly
Re: K' (King of Fighters '99, CvTW Version)
#2  June 27, 2012, 06:53:30 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Don't forget that in KOF13 K's Heat Drive had anti projectile properties, not sure how necessary that is here though.
#3  June 27, 2012, 06:53:37 am
    • USA
My only complaint about the sprites, is that he needs those "leathery lines", look at rock for an example, and a few minor retouchings on the face:

for a batter example, compare the KOFXIII sprites of k with the KOFXIII sprites of Ryo/kim Kaphwan.

Aside from that, it looks good!
#4  June 27, 2012, 07:06:51 am
  • #KeepFighting
    • USA
    • facebook.com/dowx20
this is interesting...although i guess the sprite choice is to give it more of a "capcom" feel
Underrated, Never Intimidated
#KeepFighting
teepublic.com/DOWX_20

MDD

#5  June 27, 2012, 07:56:45 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Dampir's sprites are necessary because using KOF sprites would be lol but they still look bad. I'll see what I can do in terms of a palette fix, but he looks like he's going to need better scaling too because he always did look like a fatfuck. Maybe that's just me.
#6  June 27, 2012, 07:59:20 am
Your right, he looks wide for K'. He's pretty fitting though, he's not a deal breaker.
#7  June 27, 2012, 08:11:22 am
the sprites correction looks pretty good if you want my opinion. capcom feel but just better looking in the overall as well.
My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.
#8  June 27, 2012, 09:05:37 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Well, it was either use these sprites and put someone new in this, or put in someone fairly common like Kyo or Iori. I don't think they look that bad, they just don't look that great either. I scaled him down to .96 x-wise, and he looks like this:

Download Last Bout now!
#9  June 27, 2012, 09:21:19 am
    • USA
That honestly looks acceptable to me, dunno what people are butthurt about.  Specially when most of them prolly have POTS Morrigan and her decades old Darkstalkers sprites on their roster lol.
#10  June 27, 2012, 09:58:09 am
  • You ugly! We fix!
I like the sprites. I think they're fitting and, like Sean said, with some minor editing and perhaps a palette swap, he'll look just fine.
These palettes better make me cum rainbows when I see them.

MDD

#11  June 27, 2012, 10:35:18 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Damn, the scaling helped a lot, because he looks perfectly normal now. Of course that palette change still needs to be done just to seal the deal.
#12  June 27, 2012, 10:39:34 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Sprites are fine for me. Not perfect, but very acceptable.
They'd indeed look better with leather lines and some fixes, nothing Sean can't manage.

Movelist tentative looks fine to me. His important arsenal is there.
#13  June 27, 2012, 10:06:09 pm
they'd be better with leather lines but if you don't do that they're passable enough anyway. i wouldn't worry about it too much
#14  June 27, 2012, 10:21:23 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I think Sniper Side and Knee Assault should switch kicks (ie. F+LK is Sniper Side and Knee Assault is F+HK), like in KOFXI.

Also I'm not sure if K' needs Spot Pile Strike, he already has 3 command moves and Knee Assault is already an overhead.
#15  June 27, 2012, 10:57:45 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Wait, Knee Assault is supposed to be an overhead? But it doesn't look like an overhead at all? That's the only reason I gave him Spot Pile Strike, I thought the Knee Assault just worked like Charlie or Guile's knee or something, just a forward moving knee strike. I really dig that elbow animation though, so I may still use it for something.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  June 27, 2012, 11:04:09 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Yeah, it's an overhead.     

I really dig that elbow animation though, so I may still use it for something.
Why not use it for his throw then? I think it looks way better than his kick throw.
#17  June 27, 2012, 11:23:34 pm
    • USA
Also I can't see spot pile having much range at all compared to the knee, so it probably wouldn't get much use.
#18  June 27, 2012, 11:26:46 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
It wouldn't, but like I said, I didn't know the knee was an overhead or I wouldn't have included both. I already removed Spot Pile from the movelist though.

Also, when I modified the first post, I realized Knee Assault was described as "a humping knee attack." 15 posts and no one pointed that out to me or made any jokes. You guys are slipping.  :P

Download Last Bout now!
#19  June 27, 2012, 11:53:18 pm
  • May as well have a bit of class.
    • USA
You have my sincerest apologies in that regard- I was on my way to work when I noticed that this morning, so I didn't say anything. I can't add much in regards to K', though. I never really played him.
"I should probably call it a night. ...Sure, give me a sword and a throne and we'll make a big thing of it."
#20  June 28, 2012, 12:05:05 am
Yeah I saw that too but I just chuckled and assumed that you meant for it to be that.