YesNoOk

NZCR Lifebar Recreation (Read 37137 times)

Started by Алексей, July 13, 2014, 06:51:36 pm
NZCR Lifebar Recreation
#1  July 13, 2014, 06:51:36 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Hey everyone,

For my game, NZCR, I'm recreating the lifebars and would like some advice and how I can improve them. Here's what I've done so far, but I feel it's lacking. I'm going to keep working on it, but I need different opinions. Even if it looks like shit to you, please tell me why.

The old and current:

The new:

Some features that need to be there:
- Indication of how many times you can do Kawarimi Substitute (the log).
- Indication that you can go into Chak-rush mode, when it's ready.

Edit: Maybe this belongs in W.I.P's instead?

P.S. I'll move this into the game's subforum after some time has passed.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:28:23 am by Алексей
Re: NZCR Lifebar Recreation
#2  July 13, 2014, 08:06:17 pm
Well, you're asking for some graphical advice, so I think this can stay here with no problems.

I think it has the "empty" feeling because the lifebars are small and they don't take a lot of space; I also think they are kind of "generic". An advice (that I should follow too) is to look at how the creators of the various Naruto games made the bars.
We have to take into account that the games usually (if not always) have the Items selection in the lowest angles of the screen. That takes away a part of the screen.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja (well, a lot of Naruto games actually) uses a scroll for the lifebar, for the powerbar it shows the chakra.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
I don't know much about the new ones (since I played only Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1, 2 which I don't own anymore and 3), but a quick search on Google Images tells me that there isn't much difference, they

The portrait slot and the Win Icons places are making the lifebars (and powerbars) a bit on spot with the theme (Naruto, ninjas, etc.).
#3  July 13, 2014, 08:16:56 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Cool, I'll keep it here then for the time being.

Yeah, the bars are inspired from Ultimate Ninja Storm. They are white and pill-shaped like that. Maybe it's the wrong thought, but to be honest, I really hate huge lifebars that take up a lot of screen real estate. Also, you're not seeing the timer, which I've left room for on the right. It seems like the majority of the Naruto lifebars have something behind them and are pretty colorful. I think my biggest problem is that I can't draw lol.

Well, I'm going to keep at it and post previews of the various changes. I already made the circle for the portrait smaller, and think it looks better.

Thanks for the reply, Alex.

#4  July 13, 2014, 11:23:08 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Update:

#5  July 14, 2014, 04:58:37 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Some more changes, this time with a backdrop of the game:

#6  July 14, 2014, 06:18:04 am
  • NYC Bisexual.go pirde+) 2019
    • USA
    • Skype - mikecrazy2004
    • IG
hope u can score points also be cool and it well work for system mode  on 640 x 480?
Love to make friends.....&i'm LGQBT Friendly here. so gay bi. or whoever  pplz is all good. 2 me & welcome.
now            don't Be shyyyy hmu...........if u need help...           

stage ,char, screenpack maker
#7  July 14, 2014, 06:48:33 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I'm not really sure what you mean by score points. Yes, the full game is in 640x480, as will be these lifebars.

#8  July 14, 2014, 11:04:46 am
What he meant is to code the score system (think of SF3 3rd Strike) in all characters, but he thinks it's easy to do (like adding some numbers and done!), and asks that to a lot of people. So don't care about that.

If I may, what's the bar below the portrait? And what about the orb near it?
#9  July 14, 2014, 12:12:25 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Hmm, well I'm not familiar with that anyways, but it's okay. Ignoring. :P The bar below the portrait is going to be the kawarimi meter. When it's full, you can perform one substitute and dodge an attack. The current implementation is that Kawarimi takes power to do. The orb near it is going to have a flame on it when Chak-rush mode is ready to be performed. Over time, it will build and when it's ready, you'll be able to charge up your chakra to go into a mode with Super Armor and unlimited chakra for a short time. However, you can't do supers, so it won't be extremely cheap. The idea is that you can focus on combos and rush your enemy.

#10  July 16, 2014, 02:21:30 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Here's another update:

I added a firey shape behind the bars, changed the colors of things slightly, and added a brush stroke behind the timer and the name. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm moving this to the Projects section, because I think it belongs there more.

#11  July 16, 2014, 03:55:36 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
I'm liking that addition a lot. Makes it feel less empty.  :)

I think the end-area of the bar is lacking though. I thought that even before you added this
#12  July 16, 2014, 03:59:24 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I'm liking that addition a lot. Makes it feel less empty.  :)

I think the end-area of the bar is lacking though. I thought that even before you added this

Thanks man. :) I could try expanding the flames a bit to cover the area more under the bar. I'm thinking of maybe replacing the brush stroke behind the timer to something else. Maybe that Shuriken I showed you the other day. The time could be in the center of it.

#13  July 16, 2014, 04:26:20 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
That could work, why didnt i think of that yesterday?  :S
#14  July 16, 2014, 04:27:10 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com

#15  July 17, 2014, 04:53:23 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Here's another update. I'm getting close to a design a really like:

#16  July 18, 2014, 01:51:14 am
  • ♫♪∑☪ Lone Wolf ☪∑♪♫
    • Cuba
    • csmugen.ucoz.com
It looks great, my only nitpick would be the colors, I'd rather see another color choice. Some red/orange/yellow/black you know to make it feel more like Naruto.
„ø¤º°"°º¤ø„¨"°º¤ø„¸ ♫♪∑☪ Eternal Legend ☪∑♪♫ ¸„ø¤º°"¨„ø¤º°"°º¤ø„
#17  July 18, 2014, 02:00:59 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
lemme just tell you how much the colors were worked on varied etc. could you maybe do a mockup or something? Cause we have been through alot of different ideas. Alexei showed me everytime he changed something this has had ALOT of revisions and if you have any ideas could you  demonstrate them?

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#18  July 18, 2014, 02:20:24 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
It looks great, my only nitpick would be the colors, I'd rather see another color choice. Some red/orange/yellow/black you know to make it feel more like Naruto.

Thanks man, for the feedback. You mean replace the bronze color? Do you mean the colors of the logo? Can you mock up an example for me? Just the colors and basic shapes to represent the things you mean.

lemme just tell you how much the colors were worked on varied etc. could you maybe do a mockup or something? Cause we have been through alot of different ideas. Alexei showed me everytime he changed something this has had ALOT of revisions and if you have any ideas could you  demonstrate them?

Yeah, it's true, lol. So many revisions. The ones posted here are only the major updates from each revision.

#19  July 18, 2014, 02:24:52 am
  • ♫♪∑☪ Lone Wolf ☪∑♪♫
    • Cuba
    • csmugen.ucoz.com

I'd need a clean version (.png alpha channel) of the sprite tho in order to demonstrate my idea.
„ø¤º°"°º¤ø„¨"°º¤ø„¸ ♫♪∑☪ Eternal Legend ☪∑♪♫ ¸„ø¤º°"¨„ø¤º°"°º¤ø„
#20  July 18, 2014, 02:26:27 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Of what sprite? Are we talking the flame-shape in the background? The frames of the bars?