YesNoOk

Baron Samedi (Read 3489 times)

Started by CpnCrossfader, March 03, 2021, 06:07:26 pm
Share this topic:
Baron Samedi
#1  March 03, 2021, 06:07:26 pm
    • UK
Introducing the Voodoo god of death; The Man who can never die, Baron Samedi (-wikipedia, download link at bottom).

I thought it would be cool to have a character with Hollywood-stereotype style Voodoo attacks, with the interesting element of being able to resurrect himself from the dead.
I very loosely based the sprites on Geoffrey Holder's portrayal of the character in Live and Let Die,

but more of a cartoon caricature really- I gave him a slender look with un-natural limb movements to make it more creepy and skeleton-like, and added supernatural powers.
It's a bit of a novelty villain character really- fairly simple, but with some interesting quirks that I haven't really seen in Mugen, personally.

The main unique selling point for the character is his resurrection. He has a very low defence and health score, but at least 3 extra lives. Each time he is resurrected he has a 1 in 3 chance of gaining a bonus extra life on top of the lives he has remaining (but no way of knowing how many lives he has until he dies- intentional, to add the element of risk/surprise)

Moves:
Baron Samedi plays a small flute in a graveyard in Live and Let Die, so I liked the idea of him playing the flute sample from The Prodigy's "Voodoo People" (taken originally from "You're starting too fast" by Johnny Pate) - as his taunt move.

There's also a Jimi Hendrix inspired Voodoo Chile Soul Fire attack (QCF + a) which mimics when he set fire to his guitar

He has a stereotypical voodoo doll pin attack, triggered by rapidly pressing x. It can continue as long as you like, but the opponent has opportunity to block and get towards you if you overdo it.

Other voodoo references are:
Rising from his grave as the intro.
Smoking a cigar then blowing the smoke at the opponent. If the smoke touches the opponent the screen gets obscured and the opponent goes dizzy temporarily (QCF+y).
Also, pouring rum onto the pavement to honour the spirits grants Baron a life restore. This can be triggered by holding x+y together for as long as needed.
His attacks include one where he spins his leg around like Pinocchio (z), and one where he spins his other arm around at the elbow (QCF+x).

A couple of the cartoon creepy things are that he seizes up whenever damaged, and levitates back up from the ground if knocked down. He also occasionally shatters like pottery to reveal it was a decoy (this happens in the film) and walks back on the side of the screen. If he receives high damage his head can spin around.
His victory pose is lifting his top hat with his head still attached.

Download here

Re: Baron Samedi
#2  March 07, 2021, 04:58:34 pm
    • UK
Original link now updated with (my first ever attempt at) a basic AI!
-Constructive Feedback/Advice/Suggestions welcome.

I am hoping to go through my old characters and give them an AI too, I'll likely bundle them up.
Re: Baron Samedi
#3  March 07, 2021, 08:38:19 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Thanks man, super happy to see Bond characters made for mugen, because the potential is very "there". Baron Samedi, Oddjob, Jaws, and Bond, all would be perfect for mugen. Congrats with the release.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.