YesNoOk

8 WAY SHOOTING (Read 1183 times)

Started by kiLabee, February 16, 2020, 11:33:59 am
Share this topic:
8 WAY SHOOTING
#1  February 16, 2020, 11:33:59 am
HELLO MUGEN GUILD IM BACK AGAIN WITH ANOTHER QUESTION

i need help coding a character

imagine war machine with his shoulder cannon.

the shoulder cannon is actually a helper that you summon when a button is pressed and held.

pressing the button will shoot 4 rounds in the direction you press.
holding the button down war machine switches to a shooting state in where he can shoot his shoulder cannon in 8 directions  but holding down the
 shoot button  will shoot continuously.

and as i said in the air it should be shooting in 8 directions.

so i would have to code the same helper 8 times in each direction. right?

also i would like to know how balanced do you think that sounds?? as im just messing around with mugen to build my own personal MVC game.

Re: 8 WAY SHOOTING
#2  February 16, 2020, 12:57:29 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Any move can be balanced. They can also be made extremely cheap. It's up to you. For special moves that give a lot of offense and zoning, you'd want the open time to be a little longer. This way characters that don't have projectiles are still viable opponents.
Like if your Warmachine could go to the top of the screen and spam the down beam so P2 could never get out of the corner, or jump up to attack back, that's extremely unbalanced. But if Warmachine fell to the floor and had a recovery animation, that might be too open. It's up to you to come up with what's fair.
If P1 can hold the button down, call out the helper, and move freely while the helper attacks, that could cause some balance issues. Things like how long it takes for the helper to be able to attack again could help that though. Beam moves are usually some of the strongest zoning moves.

As for the coding. You could put it all into 1 or 2 states. You'd just use the button presses to set what anim to use, or a var, and code with
triggerall = anim = 718 ; or whatever anim you need for each version. I'd think it'd be easier to keep track of it all within one state. Some coders like to spread out their character into different CNS files. I can't stand that.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv