YesNoOk

CHUN-LI (Read 50293 times)

Started by Balthazar, April 13, 2014, 04:05:06 pm
CHUN-LI
#1  April 13, 2014, 04:05:06 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Hi guys, though all the focus should be on Ryu, it's true at least spriters won't have a WHOLE lot of work on the wandering warrior,
so let's discuss the tentive movelist for Chun-Li, probably the most likely character to focus on after Ryu.

Here's the movelist I put together, it takes clues from various Chun-Li incarnations over the years, from several games (as all chars should). Feel free to discuss moves, which ones I left out, which ones to swap, anything. Happy discussing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Wall Jump
up (when jumping near a wall) -A staple Chun-Li move, should be mentioned.
Roundhouse Spin Kick
f+MK  -She had this move in SF3. She takes a step forward and throws out a high-angle spinning kick for a suprise longer-range normal.
Youso Kyaku(Stomp Kick)
(air) d+MK -hits downward, can be repeated twice.
Backflip Kick
df+MK -Her backflip flip kick from SFA.
Cross-up Flip Drop Kick
df+SK -Chunster leaps forward while turning 180 in the air, then drop-kicks behind her, for a powerful cross-up attack. From SF3.
Double Air Strike
(angled jump) SPx2
Punch/forward Throw = Hip Toss.
Kick/backwards Throw = Kick Launch.
Airthrow = Ryusei Raku.

Comeback Technique 1 (defence type) Invincibility Wall Jump/Recoil
- db+2P (backwards) or df+2P (forward) after being knocked down. Costs half a bar.
-Our acrobatic heroine Chun-Li recovers extremely fast, upon touching the ground she jumps up and away diagonally towards the wall,
 where she auto-wall jumps and leaps through the air at high speed, tracking the opponent's location as she comes down. Has a lot of invincibility. Kinda based on the jumping around the room she did late in the fight against Claw in the SF2 Animated Movie.
Comeback Technique 2 (attack type) = Senretsu Kyaku.
- d+2K after being knocked down. Costs a bar.
- We're probably going to use her SF3 version of her kick super, so the SFA/SF2 version can be used here. She recovers in the air, putting herself upright, then as she touches the ground she instantly dashes forward with a flurry of lightning kicks.
Guard Break Attack = Se-nen Shuu.
-one of her Specials in SFA, it became her Guard Break animation in SF EX. Shen spins around and axe-kicks down hard.
Zero Counter Punch = Deep Strike.
Zero Counter Kick = Flip Kick.
Kikoken (Fireball)
- b(hold), f+P ~projectile. Her projectiles fade out faster the stronger button imput is used, no version ever reaching full-screen.
[EX] Kikoken (Thrust Fireball)
- b(hold), f+2P ~projectile ~knocks down. This EX-version of her fireball does travel a full-screen's lenght.

Hyakuretsu Kyaku (Lightning Kick)
- K repeatedly. Chun-Li tosses out a series of lightning kicks. The stronger the button, the faster it needs to be pressed consecutively in order to keep her kicking.
[EX] EX Hyakuretsu Kyaku (EX Lightning Kick)
- 2K repeatedly. Same thing, but it has some invincibility at the start.

Spinning Bird Kick.
- b(hold), f+K ~low (as in the altitude) invincibility on start-up.
[EX] Vacuum Spinning Bird Kick
- b(hold),f+2K ~vacuums ~invincibility on start-up ~knocks away after last hit.

Tenshou Kyaku (SFA version) (Rising Kicks)
- d(hold), u+K ~knocks away. Works as an anti-air.
[EX] EX Tenshou Kyaku (SFA version) (EX Rising Kicks)
- d(hold), u+2K ~knocks away. Works as an anti-air.

Hazanshu (Swallow Kick)
-QCB+K ~overhead. This is Chun-Li's main tool to dodge fireballs whilst attacking at the same time.
[EX] EX Hazanshu (EX Swallow Kick)
-QCB+2K ~overhead. Same thing but it travels faster and does more damage.
[Super 1] Houyoku Sen (3rd Strike Kick Super) - 2 medium-sized super bars.
- QCFx2+K ~super kick barrage ~knocks up after last succesful hit.
[MAX Super 1] Housenka (SF3 Ultra 1)
- QCFx2+2K ~super kick barrage ending with a flip kick and a vertical rising Spinning Bird Kick ~knocks down after last hit. HARD.
Personally I don't think it should have that last upside down kick finisher it has in the SF4 Ultra; ending with the rising Spinning Bird Kick is dope enough imo! And that way it doesn't even need new sprites as far as I can tell.

[Super 2] Kiko Sho (Energy Sphere)(CvS / SFA version)- 1 medium super bar.
- QCFx2+P ~static energy sphere, can cancel incoming projectiles.
[MAX Super 2] Kiko Sho Goku (Energy Sky Dome)(SF3/VS series version).
 - QCFx2+2P ~This is the huge energy dome version. I used the name Kikoshou Goku since that's what her larger, Meteor version of the move was called in SF EX2. This baby will nullify just about any projectile thrown at you and also works very well as an anti-air.

[Super 3] Hazan Tenshou Kyaku (Successor Sky Kick) - 3 short super bars.
- QCBx2+K ~insane multiple rising spin kick thing. Anti-air.
[MAX Super 3] Chou Hazan Tenshou Kyaku (Super Successor Sky Kick)
- QCBx2+2K ~insane multiple rising spin kick thing. Anti-air.
  OR
[Super 3] Tensei Ranka (Twirling Fall Kick) - 3 short super bars.
- QCBx2+K ~insane twirling fall kick thing. Anti-air. Also, overhead.
[MAX Super 3] Chou Tensei Ranka (Super Twirling Fall Kick) - 3 short super bars.
- QCBx2+K ~insane twirling fall kick thing. Anti-air. Also, overhead.
Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:53:04 am by Balthazar
Re: near-future character talk: Chun-Li
#2  April 13, 2014, 04:08:23 pm
    • Netherlands
I think it's an alright movelist, I mainly left the choice open for either Tenshou Kyaku or Hienshuu in the Specials section,
or Hazan Tenshou Kyaku or Tensei Renka in the Super section.
MY preference favors the Hienshuu over the Tenshou Kyaku, I feel the Tenshou Kyaku is very similar to DeeJay's Jacknife Maximum and the Hienshuu does Chun-Li more favours and compliments her playstyle more (avoiding projectiles whilst attacking).

Also yeah I know most of the english 'translations' are bad, I just put them in for reference :P

She also uses charge commands for most specials. She had the Spinning Bird Kick on QCF+K in SF EX but I think that's the only game where it was like that.
Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:27:09 pm by Balthazar
Re: Chun-Li, our Chinese heroine
#3  April 13, 2014, 05:22:58 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I don't guess I noticed that the Max Supers have a different input than the normal super. Do we think it's useful to give 2 different options on low life? Wouldn't it always be better to have the Max version on default?

Also ChunLi's movelist presents an interesting question regarding the use of super commands themselves. What you have indicates we will not have charge supers but are sticking with the fairly simple SF3 motion sets. I don't have an issue with this, I'm just highlighting this in case anyone wishes to discuss it further or if it's okay with everyone.

Now onto the move list itself:
Tenshou Kyaku (SFA version) (Rising Kicks) or Hienshuu (SF EX version) (Swallow Kick). Can we have both? :P If she feels too OP then we can remove one but I really hate it when I lose the Rising Kicks move. Guess it's my SFA side.

I would like to add the following unique attacks
Double Punch -Angled jump SPx2
Anti-Air Flip Kick - df+LK
Crane Leg Drop -df+MK (sf2 and sfz crossup)
Her Kikosho should add the wave from SFZ's level 3 to both versions of the move IMO

I think that's about it. If she does lose her rising kicks special I guess give her the b+MK, MK, d,u+k target combo from SF4
#4  April 13, 2014, 05:32:46 pm
Are we going to add the kick super she had in SF2? The one that is performed with hold back, forward, back forward+kick.
#5  April 13, 2014, 05:38:25 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The SF3 version is much superior. It won't be the full thing but it will be used for her comeback technique
#6  April 13, 2014, 05:55:45 pm
    • Netherlands
Isn't that df+MK Crane Leg Drop you suggested the same move as the df+SK Flip Kick basicly?
I'm OK with adding the df+MK Backflip kick she had (the one that is on df+LK in SF4, but that feels wrong to me, it should be MK at least!),
but I think giving her two cross-up attacks that are pretty much similar is going overboard.

Oh yeah the air SPx2 was very dope, I forgot about that one.

Hmm yeah I guess the MAX Super was available when on low health, right? Yeah I suppose we can keep the command the same as the non-MAX version then. BUT, you could get a bit more technical, keeping the non_MAX version available. The enemy might be expecting you to whip out your MAX Super when you're low on health, but dishing out the non-MAX version which may have different properties (such as perhaps coming out a tad faster), will add to tech play and will generally be a good feature, I think.

About the charge command Supers; I'm ondecided on that matter, I wouldn't mind having them tbh.
#7  April 13, 2014, 06:01:36 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Flip kick makes her flip backwards and is used as an antiair.
The crane leg drop is generally df+HK in SFZ and SF2. It acts differently than the flip over from sf3 and gives her something from each iteration.
Edit: df+LK is the command for the flip kick in sf3
Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:06:40 pm by Just No Point
#8  April 13, 2014, 06:04:02 pm
    • Netherlands
Hmmm I guess we can add both. Crane Leg Drop attacks more straight down, while the 3rd Strike flip drop kick is more used as a cross-up.
For now I'll keep both Hienshuu and Tenshou Kyaku for Specials.
Does that mean Hazan Tenshou Kyaku becomes more, or less likely to be the Super to stay?
Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:07:50 pm by Balthazar
#9  April 13, 2014, 06:07:13 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Just curious if you guys are open to borrowing moves from other fighting games like what SF4 is currently doing like Ryu's focus attack?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#10  April 13, 2014, 06:09:43 pm
    • Netherlands
What do you mean about Ryu's Focus Attack in SF4? That's not from another game, it's a move he used in the manga Ryu Final.

Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:13:05 pm by Balthazar
#11  April 13, 2014, 06:16:24 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
There's also Yun copying Lee's moves from Fighter's History.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#12  April 13, 2014, 06:24:18 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I missed that Hienshuu is from SF EX. I was thinking of her overhead from sf3 which looks different from the sfa version. Will have to run to YouTube and take a look at it.

As for choosing which of the supers she might have: are we completely decided that we will limit the supers to just 3? I don't think it'd be outrageous to let some characters have 4 super options? With the minimum to be three?

If not I think the sf3 one would be better.
#13  April 13, 2014, 06:27:48 pm
There's also Yun copying Lee's moves from Fighter's History.
Those are extremely common Kung Fu moves, it's not really so much copying a particular character as it is just using a similar martial art.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#14  April 13, 2014, 07:41:33 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
People, what if we put here gifs showing what Chunners missed in CvS2? That would be very useful for sprters who are willing to complete her.

I made a BMP with stuff like that, 2 kicks from SvC/SF3, the "dodge" from cvs1, and SFZ's Kikkosho(but we already have CvS's so...)
I swear there was something cool here!!
#15  April 13, 2014, 07:45:03 pm
    • Netherlands
Oh I started doing something like that while you replied, I added some snaps of her Hienshu from SF EX to the first post :)
Added Se-nen Shu as well just for reference (I don't know if that needs new sprites, probably not. It doesn't have to look exactly like that).

So, have we decided on either the Hazan Tenshou Kyaku or the Tensei Renka yet, or decided if we keep it at 3 Supers or can extend to 4 per character? I think 4 is a bit too much (though some 'secret' supers like the Shungoku Satsu for Akuma will ofcourse still be in, but like in SF3, those will always be available no matter which Super you select pre-fight).
Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:01:13 pm by Balthazar
#16  April 13, 2014, 08:19:21 pm
3 at most, I agree having more is a bit too much.
#17  April 13, 2014, 08:36:23 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
You guys saying to limit to 3 will be crying when we have to elliminate cool supers from some characters to keep it 3. Or that could just be me :p
Some examples

Ken, bison, zangief, cammy, fei long, Rose, blanka, etc :p

Tensei Renka is a better super if we have to choose imo
#18  April 13, 2014, 10:51:49 pm
Balthazar: I already sprited that years ago. It even appears at Jmorphman's Chunners :P!
#19  April 14, 2014, 12:12:05 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Hienshu sucks, use Hazanshu instead. It's basically the same, only 100x times cooler! And it already has been sprited! And Hienshu is just a special version of her drop kick anyway!

I don't think she should have both Hien/Hazanshu and Tenshokyaku. It would be nice if she had her Tenshokyaku target combo in its place, though. That would require the starting kick to be sprited, however.

I also argue against having both versions of her DF+HK (either the classic drop kick or the SFIII/IV flip kick). She shouldn't have a tool for everything all the time; it'll make her too strong. Pick one and stick with it!

Kikoken is cooler as a HCF motion. I don't know why they changed it back in SFIV. They shouldn't have!

Also CvS Kikosho is identical to the SFIII version; but a smaller or different effect can be placed over her existing sprites if one wants to make the SFA version. I don't think the SFIII/CvS version of that effect would look good with the SFA version's wave.
#20  April 14, 2014, 09:08:39 am
These are the things that are missing in CvS2 Chun Li:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Aside these, the stuff some other spriters and I converted and are findable at Jmorphman's Chun Li.