YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 733975 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#1901  January 18, 2020, 05:40:32 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I think it's pretty natural for most people who aren't super invested in Fire Emblem to feel disappointed when the final character in this season of DLC to be yet another sword-wielding Fire Emblem protagonist, especially when there's seven of them in the game already. Of all the various Nintendo franchises, only Mario has more characters, and pretty much all of those characters look and play radically different. It just seems weird to me that Fire Emblem is coming in second, above Zelda or Kirby or what have you.  And heck, from what I've seen, even Fire Emblem fans would rather have seen a non-main character so that at the very least a different weapon style could be represented (beyond how Byleth specials do this to a limited extent).

It's really only an issue when people take those feelings of disappointment and blow them up, acting like whiny babies who feel as if Nintendo should cater to them, personally. Speaking of...

Yeah, no, we don't. They have set up the standard and they raised the hype, don't give me this bullshit of "Its not their fault", because it fucking is.
LMAO this is so unbelievably entitled
#1902  January 18, 2020, 05:42:27 am
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
Don't get me wrong here, I love Fire Emblem I've played many of the games and enjoyed them very much. But like you said there are seven sword users from Fire Emblem already. Where the f*** is Hector?
They have an opportunity to put in a true heavy that comes from fire emblem.
#1903  January 18, 2020, 05:48:34 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
The past 4 reveals were unexpected and carried hype all the way through.  Of course our expectations would be at an all time high.  The character was revealed in the first few seconds of a dull trailer and it's someone we all knew was gonna be added anyways when the second pack was announced.

Byleth will be fun to use no doubt about it.  Just wish Nintendo had a better way to promote this.
#1904  January 18, 2020, 10:29:11 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I think it's pretty natural for most people who aren't super invested in Fire Emblem to feel disappointed when the final character in this season of DLC to be yet another sword-wielding Fire Emblem protagonist, especially when there's seven of them in the game already. Of all the various Nintendo franchises, only Mario has more characters, and pretty much all of those characters look and play radically different. It just seems weird to me that Fire Emblem is coming in second, above Zelda or Kirby or what have you.  And heck, from what I've seen, even Fire Emblem fans would rather have seen a non-main character so that at the very least a different weapon style could be represented (beyond how Byleth specials do this to a limited extent).
Zelda and Kirby not having more representations isn't that weird when you consider that there isn't much to pick from in either series. Then again, we got effing Piranha Plant of all things in the roster, so I guess they could cook up something if they really wanted to.
Fire Emblem fans don't want another Lord because they don't want yet another sword user in a series with plenty of weapons OTHER than swords. Or more specifically, they want either Ephraim or Hector, Lords that use Lances and Axes respectively.
#1905  January 18, 2020, 01:40:28 pm
Oh I get the idea that people are going to be disappointed in more fire emblem but neither Nintendo nor Sakurai stated what or who exactly to expect with the season pass, nothing was ever promised and lets be real Byleth was inevitable regardless. People would have reacted the same way whether they were the final character in the 1st pass or in the middle of the 2nd. Look at this way, now that we got six more characters coming people can get in their feelings about something they don't like six more times!
#1906  January 18, 2020, 02:53:37 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I mean it's no coincidence that another DLC wave was announced for Three Houses alongside Byleth's Smash reveal.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1907  January 18, 2020, 03:00:19 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Byleth probably would have been better received as the second or third character in the pack.  People would've rolled their eyes and said "sure, of course" before looking forward to the next one.  I think positioning another Fire Emblem character as the grand finale after such massive surprises as Persona or Banjo-Kazooie was their real mistake in all this.

Zelda and Kirby not having more representations isn't that weird when you consider that there isn't much to pick from in either series.

The entire roster of Hyrule Warriors and Star Allies would politely disagree with you, but that's a different discussion.
#1908  January 18, 2020, 03:50:04 pm
Byleth probably would have been better received as the second or third character in the pack.  People would've rolled their eyes and said "sure, of course" before looking forward to the next one.  I think positioning another Fire Emblem character as the grand finale after such massive surprises as Persona or Banjo-Kazooie was their real mistake in all this.

Well the consensus on the internet seems to lean toward MOAR FAIUH EMBURUM BAD than Byleth him/herself being in which leads me to believe that no matter where they showed up or which character they picked the reactions would have been the same just because its another fire emblem guy. They can't even say that he/she is just a sword user as Byleth is using lance, bows, and axes all in one. And like I said, we are getting more characters anyway so the problem can't be a grand finale as the dlc train ain't over yet.
#1909  January 18, 2020, 04:33:27 pm
    • USA
The consensus I've been seeing from people who aren't being idiots about Fire Emblem seem to be more akin to this.  The Fighters Pass lineup spent a year conditioning fans to think that literally anything was a possibility and to expect the unexpected, all to lead up to the most expected thing ever.  Not saying I 100% agree with that, but I get it.
#1910  January 18, 2020, 05:36:38 pm
Yep, its totally fine to be disappointed with something when the bar is set pretty high. My biggest issue isn't with them its with the manbabies that take it to the next level and start harassing Nintendo employees and the developers on social media, sending death threats, or demanding Sakurai be fire because he can't or won't fill all of your hearts desires. I don't have any patience for opinions from those types and makes wish Sakurai actually made the "Never ask me for anything ever again." meme meta like the "too many swordsman" thing.

Hilariously Tekken's Harada actually does use that meme in his own way.
https://twitter.com/harada_tekken/status/744348665834180608
#1911  January 19, 2020, 05:38:47 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
The entire roster of Hyrule Warriors and Star Allies would politely disagree with you, but that's a different discussion.

I might accept Star Allies, but not Hyrule Warriors because....it's a Warriors game, they can add anyone in a Warriors game and just give them flashy AOE effects. Still, that leaves their options extremely limited.
#1912  January 19, 2020, 05:59:04 am
    • Brazil
they can add anyone in a Warriors game and just give them flashy AOE effects
They can still just add flashy effects to anyone in Smash, and that wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the game.
#1913  January 19, 2020, 07:09:34 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Kinda odd to call that out on the Warriors games, when Smash has the Wii Fit Trainer of all the possible nonsensical ideas, no?

Some of the characters in Hyrule Warriors are intentionally pretty ridiculous and wouldn't be viable in an actual Zelda game nor a good choice for Smash, but you still got the numerous variations on Impa in the Zelda timeline, Darunia or any of the Goron chieftains from other games, Princess Ruto, Midna, Zant, Fi, Ghirahim, Tingle, Skull Kid, Yuga, Tetra and/or Toon Zelda who WOULD make wonderful Smash character additions.  Especially Skull Kid or Midna repping Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess respectively, the latter being probably one of the Zelda franchise's best characters regardless and the former kind of a cult classic icon.

I'd trade in 5 of these way too similar Fire Emblem guys and/or gals for one of any of these much more diverse characters.  Just saying, they got the numbers to spare.

Now, Star Allies while easier to translate Kirby characters to Smash template, most of Kirby's friends are just one-note repeating series minions.  Maybe wait to add Chilly or Sir Kibble after the more famous Nintendo minions like Goomba and Koopa get added to round out Piranha Plant's weird placement.  The actual main villains however, hell yeah, Marx needed to be in this game two entries ago and I'd love for him to progress from just a boss like Ridley did.  Probably literally all of the Star Allies DLC would be good additions to Smash, I'd love for Adeleine to get added to rep Kirby 64.  The possibilities with the art easel attacks are tremendous.
Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:27:20 am by Long John Killer
#1914  January 19, 2020, 07:13:55 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I don't get why Marx and Magalor constantly comes up. If Krystal and Bomberman and Shovel Knight and even Knuckles are assists, he should be too. Not a fan of the "boss" thing. Way too underutilized and random, like every single other thing about Smash.

All Kirby would really need is Gooey, Ado, or Bandanna Dee. City Trial stage. Not a single remix. A stage. Get rid of Halberd or make a Subspace Emmisary stage.

I think whoever wherever needs to push to have Gannondorf have decloned special moves before even thinking of Midna or another silly Toon.
Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:18:12 am by MR. IBZS II
#1915  January 19, 2020, 07:18:48 am
    • USA
Why is obvious; they're among if not the best villains of the franchise, and Smash could use more villains to play as.  Also being vaguely human-sized to fit into a fighter also helps.  If Ridley was a challenge to get proportionally right, you would not be seeing Void Termina or 0² as playable characters.  Marx conveniently fits the billing to be both.

Also isn't Ganondorf decloned enough?  Perhaps throw in his spear for an aerial and some lightning ball effects, but otherwise unless they plan on re-introducing flight mechanics like Brawl then he's fine for the OoT Ganondorf template he's filling in now.
Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:25:32 am by Long John Killer
#1916  January 19, 2020, 02:39:54 pm
  • Samurai Sprite Ripper
  • Currently ripping Ninja Warriors
    • Japan
    • sites.google.com/view/kanbeiscreations/home
Quite honestly... I expected this and I laughed at every comment I have seen that says "Fuck Fire Emblem, Stupid Waifu Simulators and Weebos" TBH Dante never had a chance and it was a rumor people were getting over hyped about, who remembers the "BIG Grinch Leak" and the disappointment about Ken and Incenaroar who weren't the rumored 9, Hmm? I am going to keep laughing just like I did about Corrin's announcement back in Smash 4 because the salt is so good for us Fire Emblem fans. lol Also yes Altair and Cuphead Mii Costume awesome I love those.
#1917  January 19, 2020, 04:47:00 pm
    • Brazil
Its not necessarily hate for Fire Emblem or even for that protagonist specifically. Its simply because with all the characters from surprising and well known franchises, everyone expected the last one from the current pass to be something surprising as well, yet we got more of the same.
#1918  January 19, 2020, 08:39:22 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Even among Fire Emblem characters, Byleth is one of the least interesting characters they could've gone with, both visually and in terms of personality.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1919  January 21, 2020, 12:12:52 am
    • USA
That's something else I've noticed gaining traction online.  Now, I don't play Fire Emblem, but there seems to be a consensus that people really don't like the Lords, your main characters each game, and all the attention is put into the side characters?  I thought this just your silent protagonist syndrome like Link or Samus requiring you to either project your wanted personality traits on them or else read outside materials but A) Link/Samus are enjoyable without those anyways and B) I guess the Lords do talk and have some bare bones form of personality?  Not that Byleth did speak even once for their reveal.

If this player stand-in is that much of a dullard, I really don't see why Sakurai would go for them over other more prominent FE characters.  I'm kinda left to believe he likes the series and would feel somewhat similar?  Or at least see why people want this Tiki or Hector people from the series instead.
#1920  January 21, 2020, 01:29:06 am
    • USA
Protagonist trumps supporting cast.  If you're going to rep a game you start with the character the player spends the most time with, not just the ones the hardcore fandoms have gravitated toward.  Believe me, if it were up to me I'd trade Robin, Lucina, and Chrom all at once to get Tharja or Donnel in instead, but I also realize why that's actually a terrible idea.