YesNoOk

Plans for SHADEs of Manhattan 3 (Read 150229 times)

Started by Sean Altly, January 18, 2012, 11:51:54 pm
Re: Plans for SHADEs of Manhattan 3
#21  January 26, 2012, 09:38:37 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Hmm Veronica I guess, means  bringer of victory and it could fit her since she's an over achiever and  a star athlete.
#22  January 26, 2012, 11:15:51 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I like Veronica, now I just need a surname. I don't want anything too common, like Garcia or Rodriguez or anything, but I do want something authentic. Something with a meaning relating to her character like Castle would be cool.

Also, I wanted to throw an idea out there. Since this will be the last game, and it should bring things to a close, I was thinking of having Moses Maddigan wear his father's stopwatch around his neck and use both hands while fighting. It was something I planned on doing eventually, and I realized this was going to be the last one, so it's natural to go ahead and do it. Let me know your thoughts, everybody.

Download Last Bout now!
#23  January 26, 2012, 11:55:51 pm
     Vivas. It's the last name of my mexican best friend, I actually think Veronica works really well with it. It means to "Live" though, so I'm not sure if that's meaningful enough. Hopefully her moveset isn't completely revolving around her powers, but nothing too martial-artsy or traditional since she doesn't particularly have any training in fighting (As far as that overview says anyway.).

Another suggestion I have for this game's mechanics is to be more picky about what moves are able to be cancelled into specials, as well as being more original with magic chains. I feel like you got into more balancing troubles because practically every move cancelled into something for an easy combo, so maybe for some you could make it so certain moves and I DO mean basic moves, not just command normals for every character absolutely will not be special cancellable, maybe someone's medium punch or heavy, and give that attack special properties accordingly (Like unusually large hitstun or make it difficult to punish.). Along with that, you could be more original with magic chains. Not everyone would have a basic 1-2-3 like they all do, maybe some powerhouse like Moses could have this really slow overhead heavy kick or unusually damaging medium punch, so you would have shorter chains. I think it'll really mix the game up some.

The damage dampener in SHADES 2 is also really over the top and makes plenty of combos in the game pretty much identical in damage and utility so I think you should look into that some.

Also, I think you should go balls out on Moses and make him as awesome as you possibly can, I'm really excited to see the new Moses in action. How are you going to change his specials?
#24  January 27, 2012, 12:43:19 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
The damage dampener is definitely getting worked on and will be overhauled for the game. It will likely involve special and super moves not suffering as much as basics do. The chaining system though will probably go unchanged, to be honest. I like the extremely loose cancels and the way most/all basics cancel into specials, and specials cancel into supers, etc. At this point, if I were to change that, it would require a lot of rebalancing and reworking of people's moves and damage values, and that's not something I want to get into at this point. I might make it work like MVC3, where larger/more damaging characters can only chain two basics together and what not, and smaller fast characters can do the DS chaining where you can alternate between crouching/standing versions of the same basic. I know it would mix things up more, but I just like the way it works right now. It gives the game a certain level of pick-up-and-playability, if that makes sense.

Download Last Bout now!
Just a couple of ideas
#25  January 27, 2012, 12:50:37 am
  • SNK is life
NAME
María de la Luz = Mary of the Light. <- Short for it could be Marilu
Velocidad de la luz = Speed of Light.

LAST NAME
Andaluz = Anda (Go, walk, move forward) Luz (light) <- This is Spanish though, but Mexico was a Spanish colony so it could happen. I personally never met someone with this name, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Asencio / Asensio = Ascend
Bravo = dunno, means the same in english, you use it for cheering. Also, it could mean Mad, Angry (Perro Bravo = Mad Dog)

#26  January 27, 2012, 05:44:42 am
*scratches head* maybe Relay name could be Valencia Rodrigo.?

LOL Moses Maddigan looks like a Real "I don't wanna get fucked with Okay?" Guy

#27  January 27, 2012, 05:49:27 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Wow nice Moses Design dude, lovin' it.
#28  January 27, 2012, 05:50:50 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
@ Walt

Are the ones under "NAME" whole names? As in, is de la Luz a surname/last name? Because if so, I dig it.

Wow nice Moses Design dude, lovin' it.

Thanks man, wanted to go with something simpler for his new design, something that said "I'm through fucking around."

Download Last Bout now!
#29  January 27, 2012, 06:44:42 am
I'm really looking forward to elle, so keep up the good work.   since you're not going to have her use her gun, it would be cool if it was part of somekind of special or a grab. where she either does  a kind of choker hold and shoots'em in the face, or she could throw'em on the floor step on his/her back and caps'em
Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:52:21 am by ferretsshadow
#30  January 27, 2012, 04:09:08 pm
  • SNK is life
@ Walt

Are the ones under "NAME" whole names? As in, is de la Luz a surname/last name? Because if so, I dig it.
Actually no. They're just first name + middle name, kind of deal. Still needs a Surname.

The "Speed of Light" is actually the concept in itself, not a name. I just wanted you to see the similarity, of how an actual name could have a portion of the SOL concept in it, if you wanted to tie it to the special ability of running super fast :P Also, like I said, short for Maria de la Luz could be Marilu, so you don't have to put the full name anyhwere but in her bio, and have the similiraty explained somewhere in dialog only.

#31  January 27, 2012, 06:40:30 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

*scratches head* maybe Relay name could be Valencia Rodrigo.?

LOL Moses Maddigan looks like a Real "I don't wanna get fucked with Okay?" Guy

Valencia is a surname, also a name of a city in Spain. Rodrigo, in the other hand is a name for men and could be a surname too.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#32  January 28, 2012, 01:19:34 am
  • Verily, The Young Male's Arrival is Proclaimed!
This is probably being too picky but I feel I should say something about it. The new Moses design looks great, but something about how low the buttons on his shirt go makes me hesitant. He seems a lot more like he would wear it just one or two more buttons up. Right now he reminds me a bit of Scarface with no undershirt, to tell the truth.
The Roasted Pheasant voice acting company is open for business. PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
#33  January 28, 2012, 10:04:06 am
i hope Ex Moses merks tha fuck outta Omega Kane
#34  January 29, 2012, 05:17:23 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
So, here's the first sprite for new Moses. I won't be able to work on him fully for a while, but I wanted to show you guys what he'll look like in sprite form. He's always used Yamazaki as a base for his animations, so it's no big deal that it will be more evident with the new sprites. I was tempted to just copy and paste Yamazaki's legs since they both where dress slacks and I'm using Yamazaki's feet anyway, but I decided to draw them myself. I know people will still go "ah, Yamazaki edit" or whatever, but just know that every pixel, save for the shoes, was drawn by me. Also, the colors aren't final, although I'm kind of digging the green jacket/white shirt combo.

Download Last Bout now!
#35  January 29, 2012, 05:42:25 am
Looks a million times better than before, no offense to "before" but it looks really good. Though by using both hands I thought he'd take his hands from behind his back. I also noticed that the stopwatch isn't visible.
#36  January 29, 2012, 06:59:51 am
  • Mas y Mas Wips XD
    • alan-san.deviantart.com/
MAN im loving Moses new desing looks epic! my new shades main! ;P
#37  February 01, 2012, 09:27:00 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Looks a million times better than before, no offense to "before" but it looks really good. Though by using both hands I thought he'd take his hands from behind his back. I also noticed that the stopwatch isn't visible.

Well, I haven't quite decided on the whole two hands thing yet. Plus, even if he does use both hands more, I still like the look of his keeping one hand behind his back. It's kind of his thing at this point. If he does use both hands and the pocket watch is around his neck, you wouldn't be able to see much of it any way because of how long it is. It would be tucked into his shirt and he'd pull it out for win poses and taunts and what not. I did forget the little gold chain that he has in his portrait, but that's not final until I decide on the whole one/two hands thing.

Download Last Bout now!
#38  February 01, 2012, 11:25:32 pm
  • Verily, The Young Male's Arrival is Proclaimed!
Keep the one hand thing. It provides him with a very cocky feeling about himself, much befitting his character. Also, for some reason the thought of having one hand behind his back brings up a feeling of dishonesty in me. It makes him a much more unique fighter as well, straying from the "Me big bad guy, me smash you," motif found in other fighting games.
The Roasted Pheasant voice acting company is open for business. PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
#39  February 02, 2012, 02:31:16 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
I have to agree with chris; there's not many characters who fight single-handedly (no pun intended :P), so it's a nice distinction -- one for an original character no less.

Plus, he's repping dat Oro. 8)
#40  February 02, 2012, 02:44:55 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Thanks for the input guys, it's appreciated.

Here's his stance:

Had to shorten him up a bit, he was way too tall compared to the rest of the cast. He's supposed to be very tall, but he looked like he was a foot taller than Sabotage, when he's really only supposed to be 5 or 6 inches taller.

Download Last Bout now!