YesNoOk

Hyper Dragon Ball Z: April 2014 initial release thread + discussion (Read 402234 times)

Started by Iced, April 05, 2014, 05:48:51 pm
Share this topic:
Hyper Dragon Ball Z: April 2014 initial release thread + discussion
#1  April 05, 2014, 05:48:51 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

( gonna copy the video description )

Hyper Dragonball Z was a hit on arcades in the summer of 1999, with its timed unlocks and classical art direction, it was a hit and soon became a cult sensation. The game had several CPU only fights, including the very infamous Kid Buu, who was faced as the final boss and was able to counter just about anything you threw at him!

Actually no, that's a lie. This game never had a release, because it doesn't exist.What you've had the pleasure of witnessing is the culmination of several years of work by true Dragonball Z fans, a small group of fighting games afficionados and the moving pieces and parts were coded in freeware indie fighting game engine, Mugen.

Team Z2 was responsible for the code and animations you've just seen in action.

Our motivation was born from seeing the many official and unofficial games that DBZ has spawned over the last years. Usually packed with tons of characters, those games have always left us with a bad taste in our mouths.
This demo is based on games in the vein of Capcom's Street Fighter and Darkstalkers, adapted and fine-tuned to represent Dragonball's highly cinematic action in a way that actual combat means more than repeating the same combination of buttons over and over again.

This is how we envision a perfect Dragonball game. Gone is the sensation of every character being interchangeable and having the same style of fighting.
Instead, we have characters with beautiful animations, cinematic moves, skillful combos, interesting movesets, unique traits and the kind of fanservice that'd make any Dragonball fan smirk. We drew from all sources and we committed to our vision, which we share with you.

The graphics have that 2D charm that, in our opinion, was lost in the transition to 3D games.
The gameplay is intense, pulse-pounding and would look absolutely amazing in fighting game tournaments such as EVO. Counters, Air Combos, Dash Colissions, Super Projectiles, Beam Struggles, a large variety of fun character introductions and winposes... it's all in there. I can see people going insane over the intense battles that are possible.

We have in no way association with the DBZ license, we are mere fans. Our purpose is to show what CAN be made with the license. The moving bits of this presentation were made over time, with the effort of many.
We have 5 of these characters and 11 stages out there that anyone can try out. We have 3 characters unreleased and in several states of progress, we expect to put them out eventually as well.

This video was made mostly to make people aware that this exists. Why?
Because we love creating and we want to show our inner fire. Consider it a proof of concept. We knew this could be done with effort and talented people, all it takes is hard work.

Balthazar - Z2 captain, character spriter, main gameplay designer, maker of this video.
Iced - Idea Enginneer Extraordinaire, Z2 manager of sorts.
Cybaster - Character Programmer.
Daeron - Stage Spriter and programmer, character sprite assistant.
WizzyWhipItWonderful - Epic CPS2 music composer.
NoZ - Creator of the Saiyan Pride stage.
Infinite - Character AI programmer.
ShockDingo - Voice Actor for Freeza, Shenron and announcer.
RicePirate - Awesome Person and Voice Actor for Vegeta.
Philly Spider-Man - Voice Actor for Gohan.
The_None - Saibaman programmer.

The feedback we've received on these characters from the Mugen community has been very positive in general (if you didn't know, this was all coded in Mugen), but the mainstream audience doesn't really know they exist yet.
One of my greatest desires is to get some sort of acknowledgement from some people at Capcom or Bandai and from highly-regarded fighting game players.

Please leave us feedback and comments, we would love to see them!

Now, it's your time to help us. Help us get this video go viral. Like and Favourite it but most of all, SHARE it. That one kid you used to watch DBZ episodes with 10 years ago? Share it with him. Your parents, your boss? Link them up.
Any friends, family or contacts working at big game companies? Active in fightng game tournaments? Spread the word, share this video. I'm convinced we can do it!

If anything, I hope this video put a smile on your face.

Ronnie, a.k.a. Balthazar

P.S. SHARE YOUR ENERGY WITH ME!!!

P.P.S. Get your pre-packed sample here:
http://z2.smeenet.org/HyperDBZsample.rar

Or, you can grab the characters and stages seperately here :
http://network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/

To make things clearer, no, we are not doing a fullgame, but if we were this is what we would be aiming for, think of this as a sample work of what could be done.
Re: Hyper Dragon Ball Z
#2  April 05, 2014, 05:56:57 pm
i had to pause at "To Win" because i was lolin
#3  April 05, 2014, 05:58:47 pm
This is so real and epic looking man. This really deserves tons of viewers. It is also great to see something like this on Akira Toriyama's birthday. Maybe some news and or title change could be done with including a thank you to Toriyama's work for all these years. Because of him, we got to know many talented people as Balthazar, Daeron and many more.
#4  April 05, 2014, 06:09:55 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
Man this game looks amazing and knowing how many countless hours it must have taken to make something like this real is staggering. You guys really deserve alot of credit and props for assembling such a creative and talented team. Best of luck!!!
#5  April 05, 2014, 06:12:14 pm
I am glad to see that my clarity Trunks w/ sword is in.

One question though: Why are you guys giving Capcom creds for your hard work?
#6  April 05, 2014, 06:38:22 pm
Inspiration for controls style, combo style, graphic style of the visual effects (massively inspired from / based on the Darkstalkers style), music style (CPS2)
Yeah, Capcom didn't actually do anything that's in the video, but still.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

ROS

#7  April 05, 2014, 07:00:24 pm
Just linked it on the r/Fighters reddit. Good luck to you guys.
#8  April 05, 2014, 07:14:56 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Tbh being released on Toriyama's birthday was a complete coincidence, Iced told me right after I uploaded it (well, after I made the video public). Still, quite an epic occasion!

ps. Damn Youtube, I had the video project at EXACTLY 05:00 minutes/18000 frames, why the heck does Youtube make it 05:01 mintues >>>>:(?

@ShockDingo: @WizzyWhipItWonderful: @Daeron: @The_None:
Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:25:31 pm by Balthazar
#9  April 05, 2014, 07:32:57 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#10  April 05, 2014, 07:49:35 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
congratulations on your release.
#11  April 05, 2014, 08:21:25 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
I've already shared it with about 20 people!

I'm gonna get it out there!!!
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#12  April 05, 2014, 08:52:14 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I totally loved the video, I wished a DBZ game like this could be true for MUGEN, but at least I can conform watching this. So yeah, I'll share this to everyone knows about this ;) (if I didn't close my YT account, probably would be in my favourites list).

Congrats to whole Z2 Team for this video :D

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#13  April 05, 2014, 10:48:42 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
There's a typo on the video... "populatiry"  ;P

By the way, would you like extra help in creating stages for the game? I don't want to commit to characters as I'm a lazy person, but stages are ok for me and usually work fast on them ;)
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#14  April 05, 2014, 11:16:53 pm
    • France
    • Skype - elevesimon
My god.

"During a time of struggle, K-ON's beautiful story provided the influence needed for me to become an ideal president. I am now a better man."
— Barack Obama, 44th president of the United States
#15  April 06, 2014, 02:23:17 am
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#16  April 06, 2014, 02:41:00 am
    • USA
Would've been better to either hide the HUD or make a completely original one for the video. Those default winmugen fonts don't help at all. Also kinda funny to see back bars at the bottom and the top of the screen during envshakes, that's the kind of shit you get for using winmugen instead of at least mugen 1.0 :P

The mixing between low res graphics (Fights, sprites, main menu) and high res graphics (Character select background, intro, transition effects between scenes) also hurt the overall quality a bit.

Man, gone are the days when I used to break that Goku for betatesting, you guys sure made it far enough to have 4 or 5 chars, that's pretty cool :V
#17  April 06, 2014, 03:36:15 am
The fact I don't like you doesn't mean I don't deserve the credit. Freezer's bases weren't done magically by its own.

Don't get me wrong, I told to Cybaster to don't write me a paragraph or nothing in Freezer's credits and I erased my useless posts because that's me. We knew you didn't want me in your team but that's not professional.

Anyway I still think Gohan is a mere headswap, told that to Balthazar in his Bday, Piccolo's pants have different shading that doesn't make me take him seriously so I doubt he is a wip and Saibamen' sprites need a total revamp.

I think the font in the first part isn't that classic, it looks way too modern with the glow, maybe is just for the promo, but if it is the game intro it could be different, something more pixelated.

#18  April 06, 2014, 03:43:59 am
adult gohan has the same body build as goku and wears the same outfit, were you expecting all of his sprites to be radically different from goku's?

Posted: April 06, 2014, 04:17:34 am
also you requested to not be credited so why would you expect to be credited here

and freeza's not even out

also i don't think that list in the first post is supposed to credit everybody, i'm sure there are people credited in readmes that aren't mentioned there. who cares
#19  April 06, 2014, 04:56:38 am
I know my attitude shows it so but please point us in which post I said so. I won't deny I didn't wanted to be un-credited but Im not that stupid, I was stupid enough like to help this team for nothing but not like to be un-credited.

Point us where otherwise you have no proof. Not even in PMs I said that. It may look the otherwise but I value the things I do. The only thing I don't value are forum posts.

Please analize this since it is the farthest you will get:
@Cybaster: now that Im on it, I remember you write a paragraph to thank the person you credit in your chars, for me, I politely ask you to just place my name on it and don't write me or nothing, I won't download Freezer, I told you I don't play mugen and it is preferable to stop showing interest for something I won't even play. :P

See? Just my name, you don't have to write me nothing if you don't want.

Sorry for the derailing but unless you show me where I explicitly wrote I wanted to be un-credited I see this as something not professional.

And I must care since it took me a year doing the bases.

#20  April 06, 2014, 05:08:00 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
WOW...This needs to happen.