YesNoOk

Dealing with love and relationships (Read 4438 times)

Started by DMK, May 02, 2012, 01:24:02 am
Share this topic:

DMK

Dealing with love and relationships
#1  May 02, 2012, 01:24:02 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
I couldn't think of a title for it, but I'll try and get my point across.

Basically since April 13th my life has been in this dark void. My fiance, this person I have loved for 8 years, met someone at her work and it seemed to be taking off. A few weeks back she flat out told me she doesn't know how to feel about me and I don't know how to interpret that, but she hasn't broken up with me nor stopped talking or any of that stuff. I don't want to talk to my friends or family about it because they care for her, they know I do and I am not sure if I would be okay with letting them know about these troubles. Basically for those here with intimate relationships or married could help me out or anything really. Give advice something. I want to let it out and I'm so scared to lose her to this guy, who she told me doesn't want a relationship from her, she said more like friends with benefits, but I heard from her he tried getting with her today and now my heart is just killing me. I guess its stupid to come here and ask, but I feel like you all of you can be honest and help  by shedding some light. I'm sure this will blow up in my face, but I'm scared, desperate and don't know how to feel.

Thanks for any help if you can spare it...
Re: Dealing with love and relationships
#2  May 02, 2012, 01:26:09 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
You can confront the guy, if you know who he is. Unless your grilfriend is available, that's it.
#3  May 02, 2012, 01:33:22 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Well it's better to ask here that not going to anyone, that's for sure... I wouldn't consider it stupid but just know who to listen to.

DMK

#4  May 02, 2012, 01:34:38 am
    • USA
Yeah, it only felt worse bottleing this up and losing sleep everynigh to the thought she was slipping away from me.

You can confront the guy, if you know who he is. Unless your grilfriend is available, that's it.

I've thought about it, but I'm afraid of pushing to hard and making things worse. Maybe even pushing her towards it. Its my pride, like I've done something horribly wrong. I'm not perfect in many ways, but I feel so turned up inside and that maybe I should of moved in rather then focus on school...anything to stop this. I feel even worse like its to late. Like she would rather have that then be with someone who has always loved and been there for her.

2OS

#5  May 02, 2012, 01:47:42 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
1. It's not stupid to ask here.

2. Paranoia like that tends to lead to irrational behavior which can break things if you're not in control of your own self so be sure you're in a stable state of mind before you do anything. ( I learned this the hard way so please fucking do it )

3. Breathing deeply for 5+ minutes or so tends to relieve stress in general. Whenever it's unbearable remember it.

Mog

#6  May 02, 2012, 02:09:51 am
wow.  This could get complicated.  You do need to talk to her, it's possible she's starting to think of you like a brother, since I know you were both young when you started "dating".  There have to be boundries in any relationship, something thats a deal breaker and if you are willing to accept her having male friends, then you need to prepare for the possibility she will be attracted to them.   Time for a really honest talk about what you expect from each other.

:)

DMK

#7  May 02, 2012, 02:31:44 am
    • USA
Indeed, my mind since she told me that has been running around for miles. I'm worried despite what I do for her in everyway possible is a moot point right now. She talks like she really cares, but then suddenly goes back to sounding cold/unsure. Sometimes I get okay with the fact if we broke up, but then break down completely and cry. I know of doing things to keep your mind off, like work, school(finals for me tomorrow which adds a BIGGER fuck up this mess) and being around friends. It doesn't work though..I just drift off into some stupor and everything becomes so unpleasant.

And I'm trying to talk right now.

OZ

#8  May 02, 2012, 02:43:38 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
who she told me doesn't want a relationship from her, she said more like friends with benefits

...she actually said that?
that's a pretty dick thing to say to you
i would be insulted, personally

it's sounds like she's drifting from you
8 years is a long time
there are a multitude of reasons why; whether she's gotten bored of the routine, it's become monotonous, etc.

i would talk to her directly
don't make ultimatums, but don't beat around the bush

you guys are engaged?
ಠ_ಠ

DMK

#9  May 02, 2012, 03:42:09 am
    • USA
Thats what he told her, but apparently he told her he "likes her likes her" and if he could would go full time with her, but for now "friends with benefits. At first she seemed pissed, but some how justified it do to "jobs". I'm trying to come to terms with this, but I talked to her and we came to this.

It is shakey, very shakey, but she isn't "leaving me" and understands that if anything happens its over...as hard as that is to me.  She never really seemed bored and the last few weeks she seemed even happier to be around me, but maybe thats just hope more then anything. She won't say she loves me, but she won't say for sure if she will never feel it again. Glad I finally talked to her about it, but I'm still so worried and I'm afraid of never finding someone like her again. I know thats a bad way to look at it, but I don't know if another woman will have so much in common.
Re:
#10  May 02, 2012, 03:46:36 am
First of all I'm a high schooler so you might not want to listen to me. Secondly, most women live for excitement, maybe you are getting passive and she feels that being with you means she'll end up settling down too early. There's not all that much you can do except talking to the other guy (privately) or moving on. I've been in a similar situation my freshman year 3 years ago. I don't think you've lost your touch she's just grown tired of it, and changing her mind will be near impossible.

DMK

#11  May 02, 2012, 03:58:05 am
    • USA
I guess so, but she wanted me to move there where shes going to school and work currently, but I take care of my family. She felt as if I was never going to move there again, as if I didn't care and never asked her to marry me. I have, I've given her 3 different engagement rings. I'm so mixed up inside, but alot of this is really helping. I just need to learn to cope.

Outside of her I've never felt an attraction to other girls, I thought with her this would never happen to me, but I was wrong and I feel like all of it was my fault. I just always have so much on me and working and school only give back so much money, but with her there I could always have a reason to smile and felt life was fantastic. Now its just caved in and I can't sleep, eat or hardly crack a smile.
#12  May 02, 2012, 04:14:18 am
    Rough. I don't know, she's seems to have her mind made up that she's not going to commit to you from what I've read, which is never good and generally means that she won't settle. It seems like he's got her in the palm of his hand though, so like I said, confront him if possible, if he isn't scum he'll back off and she'll give up on him and settle for you, if not use you as the backup man.

Though that's just my cynical mind, girls around here are pretty heartless. Though since your older than me, the women there probably don't act as they do here, the fact that she even would admit to having feelings for another guy and being open about it kind of makes it feel like she intentionally threw you into a love triangle so she can get more attention. Not trying to disrespect or devalue her or anything like that.

DMK

#13  May 02, 2012, 04:21:41 am
    • USA
I understand and really I was expecting far worse replies about the situation and how to "deal" with it. Half of me understands she wants someone there right now, but I have always been loyal, I never so much as gave other girls or ideas of them a single idea. I know I should of been up there, but half of me felt wrong abandoning my family when I help with so much. Such as dealing with parents possibly losing their house and helping them pay for mortgage, helping my grandmother and dealing with finding a decent school to go to. Her family also has "unwarmed" from me and although she says it isn't hate, but they don't like me anymore either, so any support there might as well be gone. I'm not perfect in any shape or form, but I have tried everything in my power to make her happy. My pride, will and love feel gone.
#14  May 02, 2012, 04:26:42 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
I would normally tell you not to play second fiddle, and that if her feeling towards you are clearly not as strong as yours you should probably let her go, and that it would be the best for the both of you. C'est la vie.

...however, it looks like you're truly crazy about her and that your relationship might be savageable, so I'll just say good luck trying to win her back.
Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:32:12 am by Cyan Paul

DMK

#15  May 02, 2012, 04:31:14 am
    • USA
I am crazy, but I know there is a limit, but I guess thats like hearing a crack addict say he knows its hurting him and yet continues on. Rational part of me knows I should say something now and the other part likes the chance.
#16  May 02, 2012, 04:31:42 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Okay I'll be blunt.
If she's doubting, she says she doesn't know how to feel about you and she wants to do that "friend with benefits" thing, then she's not worth it (That is, unless you're OK with that last part) and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

I was in a very similar situation seven months ago. You'll get over it, the first month-ish is hard and you might lose sleep and feel even worse but it's not the end of the world. Just hang out with friends and you'll get over it.
#17  May 02, 2012, 04:36:01 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
I understand and really I was expecting far worse replies about the situation and how to "deal" with it.
We're not heartless, we've all dealt with love and pain.
It seems like he's got her in the palm of his hand though, so like I said, confront him if possible, if he isn't scum he'll back off and she'll give up on him and settle for you, if not use you as the backup man.
Well even if the guy did back off the fact that she doesn't know how to feel about DBK anymore is still an issue... sure he can back off but if she really wants him then she can still go for him. I don't want to sound negative I just want to point out an issue.
#18  May 02, 2012, 04:53:56 am
  • all is love in fair and war
I think you better don't show how much you will miss her or how she is everything for you, give her feeling that if she tried too hard she will surely miss you too. do something without her, show her that other women might catch you if she let you away.

DMK

#19  May 02, 2012, 04:57:11 am
    • USA
Oh not like that, everyone around here is great and is my top favorite communitys I ever belonged to. Just meant straight up telling me to leave her fucking ass or anyone thinking I was talking like some perfect guy who doesn't deserve this, in which case I feel I do.

In reality I'll keep talking and taking as much advice as possible while seeing what happens. Hopefully she'll understand and we can work something out.

P.S. I'm sorry if I come off attention grabbing in anyway. I know some do it, but talks of this will stay in this thread and not outside it.

I think you better don't show how much you will miss her or how she is everything for you, give her feeling that if she tried too hard she will surely miss you too. do something without her, show her that other women might catch you if she let you away.

I thought about it, but that part of me wants t believe showing her no matter what I'll love her and not run off, but hopefully I won't need to go that far.
#20  May 02, 2012, 05:06:50 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I understand and really I was expecting far worse replies about the situation and how to "deal" with it. Half of me understands she wants someone there right now, but I have always been loyal, I never so much as gave other girls or ideas of them a single idea. I know I should of been up there, but half of me felt wrong abandoning my family when I help with so much. Such as dealing with parents possibly losing their house and helping them pay for mortgage, helping my grandmother and dealing with finding a decent school to go to. Her family also has "unwarmed" from me and although she says it isn't hate, but they don't like me anymore either, so any support there might as well be gone. I'm not perfect in any shape or form, but I have tried everything in my power to make her happy. My pride, will and love feel gone.

But, wht had she done to make you happy ?
#21  May 02, 2012, 05:12:45 am
it is natural for people to take for granted something that they surely have in their hand or something they can always return to, try to shake that comfort feeling out of her, doesn't mean that you should cheat on her or stop showing your love to her,
but on top of all that, show that you would be fine without her, and actually a catch for other women as well.

DMK

#22  May 02, 2012, 05:22:41 am
    • USA
I see. I would hope though it would be out of love and not just "I don't have him, try to get him back".

But, wht had she done to make you happy ?

Personally just being there. She has been there for me in tough times and even when it seemed like she should of left me for sure she stuck with it. She always told me how much she loved me, just for the sake of it. Its things like that that made me happy. Not sure if thats a honestly good answer, but my best way to describe it from my heart.

#23  May 02, 2012, 05:27:53 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
I see. I would hope though it would be out of love and not just "I don't have him, try to get him back".
Well if the woman knows that it's easy to get you back then she's more motivated to go try out a relationship with the other...
#24  May 02, 2012, 05:28:09 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Finish your exams properly, then talk again to her. But 8 years is a long time so I don't blame her into feeling that the relationship is going stale, maybe it's time to either end the relationship (which does not seem to be what you want), or move it forward a step (get married, live together).

[EDIT]
just how odl are both of you, btw and what's your education/work experience (I am assuming you live in the usa) ?

DMK

#25  May 02, 2012, 05:31:57 am
    • USA
Its what I want. Now she feels like its to late. I'm only 23 myself and shes turning 22 soon. I wish I could say it in a way she would believe me. I've never personally tried to sound flaky about marriage or living together.

Well if the woman knows that it's easy to get you back then she's more motivated to go try out a relationship with the other...

Maybe it would help then...at least a little. Worse case I end up right back where I am and its already on its way to trouble.

Thanks to all those who replied so far with help and the PM's. It's more help then I could of imagined.  :)
#26  May 02, 2012, 05:51:34 am
    • USA
Take some time away from each other.

#27  May 02, 2012, 05:55:34 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
was gonna suggest the same thing, based on the fact that she ahs been th only girlfriend you have had and it seems to be the same for her, so the "meet more people" approach might work.
#28  May 02, 2012, 06:11:50 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I saw the bit where it said she was EXTRA happy around you lately. While it's not definite, it could be her over-compensating for any trists. The only reason i suggest this possibility was the "Friends with Benefits" line.

OZ

#29  May 02, 2012, 06:12:20 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
guys who use the term 'friends with benefits' when trying to pick up girls are generally awful dicks
this could work in your favor

though if she's drifting because she's bored, she would probably accept pretty much anyone who isn't you

not saying that this is the case, that reconciliation is impossible, or that your situation is hopeless

just commenting on the 'meet more people' thing
ಠ_ಠ

DMK

#30  May 02, 2012, 06:19:20 am
    • USA
I'm taking it all in right now. Just trying to tell myself what could happen and prepare my mind for it. I've lost so much in these past few months and she was that dam to me that held it all back. Trying to find that other who liked the things she did and felt like she loved me for the things I did right seems to far away, even impossible. I just got to hope and see what good I can do for myself and others still. I always hated disappointing or letting people down in life and now I feel like I've done the big one to the person I cared about most for so many damn years. This all helps though and with every word I feel a little less anxiety and stress leave me. Trying to prepare myself for the second toughest night of sleep I've had in 3 months. Usually I'd have my dog Bandit here, but she passed away on me back in January. Everything right now feels empty and quiet.
#31  May 02, 2012, 06:29:22 am
oooh... that seems familiar..

You may not like my answer

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

this is my modest analyse of the situation according to the elements you have given me.
Despite all, I hope it turns out better than expected.
My stages exhibition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2YZO7ut5I

Find them at: http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat294

You are free to use the materials in the stages I released before 2014. Credits are always appreciated.
Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:55:33 am by jeanbureau

OZ

#32  May 02, 2012, 06:29:50 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
one thing you need to do is stop blaming yourself

you can't exactly blame yourself for the two of you drifting

i don't know you or your relationship in real life, but from what you've posted here, i take that you really love and care about this girl, and you certainly sound like you do more than your fair share trying to make it work

people sometimes lose interest and drift apart
it's an unfortunate part of life
it's not your fault, and you need to stop beating yourself up
ಠ_ಠ
#33  May 02, 2012, 12:51:33 pm
yea I agree, just do your exam well, give yourself sense of achievement, be nice to her, and just be a good person in natural way but don't over do it either, if she can see that then both of you might share your future together, if not find someone else you're still 23 your option is open for anyone between 18-23 I don't see why you are so worried about this.

DMK

#34  May 02, 2012, 01:24:38 pm
    • USA
I slept on it all and I think my best bet is to do that. Just stay open, but not push anything. Let her be and do whatever. She isn't taking me for a ride either, due to her trying not to make me get her anything and her telling me she wants to stay still means she may want me. Reading all this right now compared to last night feels much, much different. Maybe because I was a blubbering baby, but perhaps I'm getting used to it. Its just hard to think what my life will be without her and how I'll look towards other women.

For now I'm just going to keep my head up high and go into school thinking nothing but my exam in mind.
#35  May 02, 2012, 03:52:58 pm
  • SNK is life
I know you'll feel it's the end of the world, but alas, it's not.

Your life must continue. If things don't turn out the way you want them to and you guys don't stay together, your parents still need your support, you'll still need a job to carry on with your life, money to cater to the hobbies that will get your mind out of that situation, and in the end, you'll need to be a financially steady companion if it ever comes to you having to look for another person to start a life with ... or not! maybe even if you guys stay together, you'll need resources (trust me, a lot of resources $) to proceed with the next stages of your life.

Stay in school, fool. And give it your best while you're at it.
It's time to grow up, and be a man. Do what you have to do, fight for the future.

DMK

#36  May 02, 2012, 05:48:39 pm
    • USA
Thanks walt, that makes a helluva lot of sense. I'm not thinking to much about it right now, although my mind wondered off 2 or 3 times during the test asking myself if I could deal with her ever sleeping with another man. In the end you can't please everyone and you got to fend for yourself.
#37  May 02, 2012, 05:48:55 pm
  • Come mighty warrior face me
    • Indonesia
    • Skype - Rizki291
=''( same just like my story but i dont know where to share it
#38  May 02, 2012, 06:43:41 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Hang in there DMK.

I knows it cliche but we are here for you man.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#39  May 02, 2012, 08:16:56 pm
  • "Draw Pilgrim" or something.
    • USA
I know I haven't had much interaction with you inside this forum, but I wish you the best of luck in handling this difficult situation. As mechy said, just hang in there, you can pull through this.

DMK

#40  May 02, 2012, 08:27:19 pm
    • USA
It means everything to me to feel supported like this and thankfully I passed my exam today and look to take some summer classes if I can grab one. Trying to look forward to hanging with my friends in a bit.
#41  May 03, 2012, 05:13:11 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Okay, some of what I will say might not be the easiest things to hear.

You are 23, she is 22, she is bored of the relationship but that doesnt excuse telling you stuff about how shes considering getting a "friend" with benefits, you are making her sound as if she is either naive or dumb that she would find interest in anyone speaking like that AND telling you about it as if it wouldnt bother you at all.
You talk about marriage as if it would solve the relationship by forcing it into a step that would make it unstale but advancing steps doesnt really help any relationship get better, the next time the relationship got stale you would have a kid, then another, in search of that equation of happyness you think might be there somewhere.

Things have changed since the times of our grandparents, and have come a long way since the times where most people died at 30 so they would have as many kids as possible from as young an age as possible, for today standarts you are still a kid that could be having a huge fulfilled life ahead of you, to rush into a marriage just so she wont be bored sounds like the worse possible decision for any of you.  There is more to life than marriage and children and etc, that is no longer the endgame, you dont have to put all your bets on that one boat or live forever alone and unfullfilled, if it goes wrong it will suck hard, but that too will pass.  A mate should be someone you love, and that means far more than just being someone that is there for you, it means a lot of small tiny things that ammount to someone you really want to spend time with.Married or not shouldnt really do a difference in that sense.

I would let her go, stand your ground that you want to make it work, but if shes waving so much and interested in things like that, she is already gone. Maybe it will be for the best, you will gain more life experience, you will know more of the world.

A piece of advice for any relationship you get into in the future is to make sure that your lover has their own friends, separated from yours ( you can ofc have friends in common). Guarantee that the person you are entering a relationship with is surrounded by good friends and half of the issues of any relationship vanish, as they tend to come from people just "living" for each other instead of sharing their lifes with one another.

Mostly try to stay strong, but I would bail out from someone that is reacting like that, let her come after you if she wants to.

DMK

#42  May 03, 2012, 07:32:59 am
    • USA
We talked alot today and I have an understanding of where she stands. She told me that he likes her in that way and she sort of feels it back for him. She told me that spark that originally there sorta dimmed, but shes not sure herself. For now we're simply talking, laughing and generally having a good time. I'm ignoring some pain, but I have told her how she felt about it and brought up the "sex thing". She told me she had no plans to it yet with him. I love and care for her and in reality there is much more to our love. I don't know how to explain it, but its always been there. We have always had smaller things "fights" and other things like this, but never to the point it is now. I'm taking everything posted here to heart though and keeping it all in mind. Its just about finding the right mix and walking that tight rope. I want it to work out, but I don't want my heart crushed either.
#43  May 03, 2012, 04:37:03 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Just drop her; while i don't agree with iced's stance on marriage his points abut the relationship being already over are more valid based on what you just said.

[EDIT]
andI understand you not wanting to get your heart broken, but that is better than hanging into a pointless relationship.
#44  May 03, 2012, 04:40:48 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
You are 23, you are hanging onto threads, you might be fooling yourself because if she was that much into it she wouldnt even be so casually talking about how she will possibly have sex with some other dude eventually. I mean you are making it sound like its thrashing your heart endlessly while she is casually discussing what she will do after shes done with you, that should be more than a warning sign.
#45  May 03, 2012, 05:03:19 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Btw, have you made it clear to her how much it hurts you what she is doing ? maybe she thinks you are perfectly ok with what she is doing and she is the one getting hurt over that.
#46  May 03, 2012, 10:24:39 pm
    • Germany
She told me that he likes her in that way and she sort of feels it back for him. [...] She told me she had no plans to it yet with him.

Duuude. How is this not eating you up inside? o_O

Could it be that your lack of reaction to something wtf like this might be part of the problem? Most girls I know would be really upset if they told their boyfriend they are thinking about having sex with someone else and he didn't blow his fuse. If she is provoking a reaction and you are not giving her any because you are overanalyzing the situation, that might be really counter-productive.
Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:14:07 pm by Valodim

OZ

#47  May 03, 2012, 10:46:22 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
really, the only way that conversation would be acceptable is if you guys were already broken up
and even then i think it would be questionable that she's discussing it with you

telling your significant other that some dude says he wants to sex you up and that you feel the same way is kind of a dealbreaker under any scenario
ಠ_ಠ
Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:50:46 pm by ಠ_ಠ
#48  May 03, 2012, 10:49:25 pm
    • Thailand
Yeah, I would have dumped her already in the worst way possible. 8 years doesn't mean shit. But what do I know. I'm just a completely unattached person.
#49  May 03, 2012, 11:08:07 pm
  • Humanity can be so much more
    • Jamaica
    • https://network.mugenguild.com/makkah/
I'd get rid of her too, if I were you. To me it just seems as though she's trying to keep her options open, and really, you should never allow yourself to be yanked around like that.

Mog

#50  May 03, 2012, 11:19:41 pm
I've never been in a committed relationship where there was a breakup.  But I have to agree with this:

If she is provoking a reaction and you are not giving her any because you are overanalyzing the situation, that might be really counter-productive.

She can't have it both ways, have him and keep you as a backup.  Thats not right.

:)
#51  May 03, 2012, 11:57:03 pm
  • SNK is life
#52  May 04, 2012, 12:49:55 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Been there... kinda on the other side, though.

First gf (I was 19), got engaged. Totally in love, willing to do every sacrifice. Got an extra job to support her, she lived in my room when her 100% evil parents kicked her out. No other girl in the world- and her situation was the same. As someone else already mentioned, we became siblings eventually. It's not just that the sex life was non-satisfying, there was a total lack of erotism. After almost 4 years, I dumped her because our relationship was mostly driven by my pity of her... and trust me, still, the pain was unbearable for quite some time. At least 3-4 months of crying myself to sleep, and the first whole week I literally cried until my lungs hurt.

Then things got better. Or, better said, less horrible. I started doing aikido and playing the guitar.

Even in my very small and shitty town I met other women I could relate to. Yes, it wasn't easy. But yes, I rebuilt my life with another woman (3 years together). Then I split up again. Again, the pain. I started going to a writing workshop. Then I started dating again, and met someone three months ago, and we became close. Then I dumped her about 2 hours ago. Yay. I wonder which OTHER hobbie I'm gonna pick up this time. :P

There are many lessons, but right now, I think there is always a better option than living unhappily. Your choice of NOT living with her and paying attention to your family is the BEST option you could have picked- had you moved in with her, she'd have grown tired of you all much sooner, AND you'd be in a much worse situation to deal with your future life in case things don't work out between you 2.

DMK

#53  May 04, 2012, 01:04:14 am
    • USA
Oh believe me, I haven't cried like I did since, but it eats me right up. I'm just kinda hoping this is her tryng to push my buttons and see how I'll react. especially when she doesn't want to leave me yet, but that whole love triangle thing...

I don't know if to take off the tinfoil hat or tape it down with duct tape.
#54  May 04, 2012, 01:07:23 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Duuude. How is this not eating you up inside? o_O
Could it be that your lack of reaction to something wtf like this might be part of the problem? Most girls I know would be really upset if they told their boyfriend they are thinking about having sex with someone else and he didn't blow his fuse. If she is provoking a reaction and you are not giving her any because you are overanalyzing the situation, that might be really counter-productive.
From experience I never told my lover anything because I didn't want to annoy her with my own feelings about it, regardless... the fact that she doesn't know how to feel about you should be enough. Even if you do manage to stay with her you'll still be doubting if she really loves you or not now that you know she can gain feelings for someone else. The last thing you want is to always be in constant fear or doubt in a relationship.
#55  May 04, 2012, 02:49:33 am
or maybe she wanted an occasional 3some with you and that guy 
#56  May 04, 2012, 04:01:50 am
after the first 3-5-7 years of relationship the physical element of attraction dissapears gradually in all human beings. To stay with the same person after that, you, them, her,  have to aim for something more than just sexual pleasure and the passion of the initial stages of a relationship.

If a member of that relationship doesn´t believe in long lasting ones, it´s condemned to fail in them until it believes in them.
#57  May 04, 2012, 04:15:08 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
after the first 3-5-7 years of relationship the physical element of attraction dissapears gradually in all human beings. To stay with the same person after that, you, them, her,  have to aim for something more than just sexual pleasure and the passion of the initial stages of a relationship.

If a member of that relationship doesn´t believe in long lasting ones, it´s condemned to fail in them until it believes in them.

Don't know about the validity of this statement, but it depends on cultural factors also. It may slowly decrease during the years, but not always that far. In Average, it may be true at some point on the majority of the couples too. Also, it is not really if the partner does not believe in long lasting relationships, its just doubts and indecision that led many relationships to this course. As always, the interest (is probably the biggest factor) that determines the longevity of a relationship.

Though, this situation strikes me rather strange, taking in that there are many suggestions to solve this problem, I rather talk to her properly and decide on the issue at hand (basically one talk - one solution based), and see if she still wants to have her way or if she does, you have to make a decision rather quickly or else you will be stuck in this depressive loophole.. ._."

GL though, I know how you feel in this type of relationship, if its your first GF though, it might be why it is this way.

DMK

Re: Re: Dealing with love and relationships
#58  May 04, 2012, 08:49:35 am
    • USA
Sorry guys, didn't mean for it to turn into a drama type thing. I was thinking something I said started it once I noticed it hit page 4. Thinking about letting things go before I'm truly hurt and remaining good friends for now. Life isn't a fairytale and I shouldn't expect her. 8 years was a good run and if she wants to stay and finally get married and go into the future thats great too. It hurts for me to be told that, but I'd rather her be upfront rather then behind my back....

I actually wonder if I'm falling into the stages of grief.
#59  May 04, 2012, 11:07:06 am
    • Germany
Related:

A reporter asked the couple:

You have been together for 65 years, what's your secret?

The woman answers: "We were born in a time when people
fixed broken things instead of throwing them out..."
#60  May 04, 2012, 11:08:21 am
  • Dust to dust...
    • USA
    • Skype - tylorthehedgehog
    • www.freewebs.com/wubbi/
^ This. Dude, what happened to those times, seriously?
Thanks for reading my signature.

DMK

#61  May 04, 2012, 11:26:16 am
    • USA
Just multiple things, were both working different jobs, going to different schools. I don't know if I'd do the same, but I would like to think some how I'd try to pass it and be happy. Can't always have your way and if she feels like she could be happy with him, go for it. I need to grow up in that sense and push on.

I know I've said it alot after every other post, but damn thank you guys for all this advice because it is so very helpful in this trying time and it always brings a smile to my face.
#62  May 04, 2012, 02:06:15 pm
^ This. Dude, what happened to those times, seriously?
People living together doesn't mean they were happier. Women were supposed to shut up and obey, they didn't work, and men usually attended whorehouses. The level of real dialogue and equality was minimum. Most people didn't even think of the option of splitting up (which wasn't covered legally), and ended up living in very frustrating relationships.

I prefere a short, honest, intense relationship with a woman that's my equal, than having a lifelong slave-minded housewife with no real intimacy. Some countries are even starting to handle marriage as a contract which you have to renew every few years- and that doesn't seem like a bad idea.
#63  May 04, 2012, 02:19:25 pm
    • Thailand
People living together doesn't mean they were happier. Women were supposed to shut up and obey, they didn't work, and men usually attended whorehouses. The level of real dialogue and equality was minimum. Most people didn't even think of the option of splitting up (which wasn't covered legally), and ended up living in very frustrating relationships.

This is correct. What that couple meant to say was that they came from a time where men owned women, literally. And any opposition to that would result in women having nothing and being socially punished -- sometimes legally punished, too.
#64  May 04, 2012, 02:23:10 pm
Lasombra Demon link=topic=140851.msg1565074#msg1565074 said:

Some countries are even starting to handle marriage as a contract which you have to renew every few years- and that doesn't seem like a bad idea.
why?
to get a wedding party & honeymoon trip every few years?
they can decide themselves to continue or split anytime. 
#65  May 04, 2012, 02:38:36 pm
Deciding to part ways is a very painful step many people either delay for too long or don't dare face at all, even if they are very unhappy. Having to renew your marriage contract every few years gives you both a legal and psychological tool to reevaluate your situation, and yes, it might lead to shorter relations.

What's with all the sudden self-righteousness of not splitting and putting up with someone who makes you miserable?
I wonder how many people who actually adhere to that train of thought have been in a long term honest relationship.
#66  May 04, 2012, 02:43:33 pm
but that can be abused and being used as a tool to threat the other party, even worse if there is a 3rd party who act as the inspector to decide your qualification to renew your marriage status.
#67  May 04, 2012, 02:52:16 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Divorce can be used as a threat as well, should that be banned so people cant be threatened with it?

Its just a tool to force people into wanting to renew their marriage, if they dont want to they wont and i cant say its a bad idea to have a sort of checkpoint thing where you have to want to keep going. People can still be forced to renew it , even, so its not fool proof for abusive relationships.

The third party ? Dude they just get renewed like any legal document, if the person at that court you went to wont fill your paperwork go to another place and do it there, its not like they will arrest you for not having your marriage documentation in order.
#68  May 04, 2012, 03:04:16 pm
Divorce can be used as a threat as well, should that be banned so people cant be threatened with it?

it is different when it is being instituted, it change the whole feeling and how people will see their marriage, from something that ideally should last forever, into more temporal and modular thing.

what I mean by 3rd party is more like: since you just lost your job and thus you're unfit to renew your contract, etc.

OZ

#69  May 04, 2012, 03:23:25 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ
#70  May 04, 2012, 03:25:35 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
what I mean by 3rd party is more like: since you just lost your job and thus you're unfit to renew your contract, etc.

Its a license, like renewing your citizen card, the costs should be minimal, and if you cant renew it at the moment nothing prevents you from renewing it later on. If you postpone your marriage license renewal because of spending six bucks( cost of renewing a citizen card here for reference)  then maybe you dont really want to keep having the legal status of "married".

it is different when it is being instituted, it change the whole feeling and how people will see their marriage, from something that ideally should last forever, into more temporal and modular thing.
I see your point but I think that is unreasonable, if you are living with someone you are not really making it a modular thing, and theres always things to share in a divorce, it would probably make it easier for estranged marriages to dissolve tho. ( Husband marries wife, one of them disappears for years while on a milk run and the other has to prove in court that they are gone to be granted a divorce )
#71  May 04, 2012, 03:41:58 pm
what I meant was if there is a judge, a doctor or a psychologist to see your current status and decide if you are allowed or declared fit to continue your marriage, the same thing like renewing other professional licenses, fit and proper test thing.

on the other hand the only positive thing I can see from it is maybe the rejuvenated feeling of the commitment that might change thing into more positive at least for awhile.

but this is highly secular, will never happen in countries that is strongly embrace religion.
#72  May 04, 2012, 04:22:17 pm
    • Germany
what I meant was if there is a judge, a doctor or a psychologist to see your current status and decide if you are allowed or declared fit to continue your marriage, the same thing like renewing other professional licenses, fit and proper test thing.

Of course not :P

on the other hand the only positive thing I can see from it is maybe the rejuvenated feeling of the commitment that might change thing into more positive at least for awhile.

This. Also, those checkpoints might make financial planning a lot easier.

but this is highly secular, will never happen in countries that is strongly embrace religion.

that aspect of society is fading in western culture, and will probably be irrelevant in a generation or two. that's what it looks like where I live and what I gather from local media, at least.
#73  May 04, 2012, 04:26:23 pm
Same thing was said about divorce. And we even got it here, in the Catholic stronghold of Latin America.

Also, where the heck did anyone suggest of having a 3rd party evaluate your 'marriage performance'? That makes no sense. We're not talking a permit or license. It's something you automatically get if both parties agree and the legal minimum requirements are there (i.e. both being over 16/18, being single, etc. etc.).

And again, I wonder just how much experience does all this people who complain about divorces, etc. have in real world relationships. Some stuff makes me think all their notions come from fairy tales.
#74  May 04, 2012, 09:13:34 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
What's with all the sudden self-righteousness of not splitting and putting up with someone who makes you miserable?

It's called 'free will'. It's the right to do things even if they look ridiculous and painful from a rational, third person view. And no man or institution should mess with it, regardless of its intentions.
#75  May 04, 2012, 09:26:11 pm
Yeah, it's the holier-than-thou attitude that I'm addressing. As if any of those options was always better than the other, morally. No one should criticize anyone for spltting or staying together.

DMK

#76  May 04, 2012, 10:00:32 pm
    • USA
Now I feel bad about how I responded to that picture with the way you guys are putting it.  :(

Mog

#77  May 05, 2012, 01:18:52 am
Wow what a cynical bunch.  What ever happened to vows and promises, mating for life, building a family and  growing old together?  I guess I better do my husband hunting on a Star Wars forum.

>:(
#78  May 05, 2012, 01:21:11 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#79  May 05, 2012, 01:28:55 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Wow what a cynical bunch.  What ever happened to vows and promises, mating for life, building a family and  growing old together?  I guess I better do my husband hunting on a Star Wars forum.

Good idea, you'll have a easier time finding a mate that meets your criteria among Wookies instead of modern men.
#80  May 05, 2012, 01:51:13 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico

Hey, I already proposed to stop rubbing that fact on my face.
#81  May 05, 2012, 02:07:33 am

DMK

#82  May 05, 2012, 08:57:09 am
    • USA
#83  May 05, 2012, 06:07:48 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#84  May 06, 2012, 02:20:25 am
most definitely "vag" 
you know I recently read Dan Brown books, I'm a master in this shit right now
#85  May 18, 2012, 04:04:02 pm
  • Come mighty warrior face me
    • Indonesia
    • Skype - Rizki291
dont like me man i have try many way to get my girlfriend back but nonsense its all end with break up now, damn it
#86  May 18, 2012, 04:45:48 pm
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
Try this, if a bit late into the party:

You can smell it coming. Your paramour has left an ominous message on your voicemail. S/he wants to talk. Perhaps you have been invited to meet him somewhere public. Maybe she's cancelled a date, and is meeting you at your place instead. But you're not an idiot and you can anticipate what's next: your ass is about to get dumped. C'est la vie.

Here is your foolproof guide to navigating your breakup. Follow these simple directions and I can guarantee a minimum of stress and heartbreak. If you desire, this technique will ensure your probability of reconciliation is maximized. Want her back? Listen well:

1. On the day you get the news, listen very calmly. Say as little as possible. You will probably hear some BS like, "It's not you - it's me" or "I just need some space for a while" or "let's still be friends"... blah blah blah. Do not argue. Accept everything s/he says. S/he may become emotional. Make no move to comfort him or her. When s/he has finished, do not linger. Say goodbye and leave. If you are in your own home, show him or her the door. A chaste hug is OK, but under NO circumstances should you offer or accept a goodbye kiss, a final quickie, or any of that shit. If you're at a restaurant, do not hang around to split the tab: guys - pay the bill and leave. Ladies - just bail. There is no need to be sterile or brusque, by all means be courteous and kind. Understanding even. But wait until your (now) ex is out of earshot to cry like a bitch.

If you get the news over the phone (ouch), the same rules apply. Just hang up.

If you get a voice/email message, DO NOT respond. Chances are a relationship that ends electronically can't be salvaged, but don't make things worse by taking the bait.

2. The bad news is, this is the hard part. The good news is, this is the part of the Ultimate Guide to Breakups over which you have the most control. It is the centerpiece of the method, and your stamina during this phase will determine your success later on. Want the secret? Here is is:

DO NOTHING.

At first you will be sad. Possibly very sad. Get out of the house. Distract yourself. Hang out with your friends - preferably the ones your ex doesn't know too well, because s/he will be checking up on you. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you contact your ex. For anything.

Chances are after a few days s/he will contact you, "just to see how you're doing." Do not respond. Let it go to voicemail. Don't call back. Delete the email. It's that simple. It'll be hard, but hang in there. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you. You are under no obligation to respond to someone who has kicked you to the curb.

Maybe you've been together for a while and s/he has left personal items in your home. This is the only circumstance under which it's ok to respond. Wait at least 24 hours before you reply. Tell your ex that you will FedEx his/her stuff. Pay for the fastest method you can afford. If s/he insists upon picking it up, leave it someplace safe and make sure you're NOT there when s/he arrives. Make your interaction courteous and brief. Get off the phone as quickly as possible.

If you do not receive a call within a month, you probably won't get a call until s/he drunk dials you many years from now. Move on.

The sooner s/he calls you after dumping you, however, the better your chances are for reconciliation. Again, do not call back. Stay tough. You are now in control of the situation.

3. The sooner the first post-breakup call comes, the more calls/texts/emails you will likely receive. DO NOT RESPOND to any of them... yet. In these modern times you may also be privy to his/her evocative facebook updates, blog posts, reality TV show episodes, whathaveyou. Make no contact. If you absolutely must be in the same place at the same time, try to look fit and happy and surrounded yourself with people s/he doesn't know.

Right around this time (unless you were dumped for someone else) your ex is beginning to experience the downside of singleness. S/he may be feeling lonely and horny, and start wondering if s/he made the right choice. That is exactly what you want. Let him/her fucking stew in it. Your patience will be rewarded.

4. By now, your ex is curious about you. Maybe s/he's even been seeing some new people. But the fact that you have made a clean break with such poise will be a blow to the ego. Remember, the opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference. S/he will be thinking, "Was I really so easy to get over?" and "Gee - maybe it really WAS me." If you've done this right, you will receive a call (or email) inviting you to "hang out." Perhaps the tone will be casual, perhaps it will be desperate. Either way, congratulations for getting this far. The ball is now in your court.

5. Proceed carefully from here. Eagerness could lead to a booty call, but little more. Ask yourself: what do I want? If you want to resume a relationship, wait 48-72 hours before responding. Say you're unavailable at the time your ex suggests, but recommend another meeting time at least a week in the future. You name the place. From here on out, everything is on your terms.

6. Let nature take its course. If your ex is ready to give it another shot, s/he will be dressed like it's a first date. If the sexual tension is palpable, you may choose to knock boots and sort out the details in the sticky afterglow. If you can contain yourself, feign trepidation and ask him/her to meet you again - also in a place you select. Build anticipation. Make him/her work for it. If executed correctly, your ex will be so grateful to have you back s/he will be on his/her very best behavior, possibly for years to come.

7. Repeat as necessary.
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#87  May 19, 2012, 05:00:03 am
Yeah, because we know that one-size-fits-all recipes are the best way to deal with relationships.  ::)
#88  May 19, 2012, 09:36:34 pm
    • Thailand
^That.

And not to mention the "man" having to pay the check if he's broken up with and the "woman" not having to. Fuck that shit. Nobody should listen to that advice, that's just manipulation. Fuck that shit again.
#89  May 19, 2012, 10:41:03 pm
Not to mention the whole "do nothing = win" attitude, all the while expecting nothing to be your own fault and the girl to come back crawling just because (well yeah, she realized how awesome you were despite probably having broken up with you before for reasons, why wouldn't she come back).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#90  May 20, 2012, 04:33:32 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
It's actually interesting to see the reaction/results coming from that snippet of "advice" across various forums lol :grin3:

Of course no one is right or wrong. However, judging from the first page of replies I already predicted it'd generate this particular response, as the tone was set from the begininng, hence my "late to the party" thing.  :wiseguy:

Regardless, it was a snippet off Craigslist that I came across :P
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#91  May 20, 2012, 04:51:32 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I disagree with the man pays part. And the "get them to come crawling back"

If as a woman you take someone somewhere where a bill needs to be paid and break up with them, you both pay for your own shit. Not a date. There is no obligation for either of you to foot the whole bill, pay for your own dinner.

And i'm quite sure in many situations the "come crawling back" bit here would totally work. But don't do it for that reason. If you feel you could get back together, do it years down the track, not shortly after. That'll just lead to repetition of the same old shit.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#92  May 20, 2012, 05:07:38 am
  • Strive for perfection!
    • USA
    • sssrockys@gmail.com
    • regettin.allgoo.us/
Are you still with this girl?  Is she still kind of into that other guy?
Mortal Kombat, Halo, Iron Maiden, Marvel and Coke.  Like those things and you and me will get along jussst right ;)

DMK

#93  May 20, 2012, 11:11:34 am
    • USA
Sorry for not really replying to it, I've been kinds skating with it for now.

We "are" together and she is still into him. Not sure where its going.
#94  May 20, 2012, 06:18:21 pm
  • Strive for perfection!
    • USA
    • sssrockys@gmail.com
    • regettin.allgoo.us/
Sorry for not really replying to it, I've been kinds skating with it for now.

We "are" together and she is still into him. Not sure where its going.

To be honest DMK, this guy will always be on her mind even if you somehow fix things now.  Hey, if she's thinking what ifs then she's probably counting the days you guys have together.  Honestly, you should let her go.  You deserve someone who's fully into you and not semi into some other guy.  Trust me, its for the best.
Mortal Kombat, Halo, Iron Maiden, Marvel and Coke.  Like those things and you and me will get along jussst right ;)
#95  May 21, 2012, 01:09:41 am
Start by talking this out with more real people from your enviroment. Even if you don't dump her right away, at least some of the burden will be shared with someone around.

DMK

#96  May 21, 2012, 02:33:03 am
    • USA
I hate doing that to people or seeming, for lack of a better word, emo. God do I want to let it out, but I can't bring myself too. Outside of everyone here and obviously her I have only told 1 other person.
#97  May 21, 2012, 02:52:17 am
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
I hate doing that to people or seeming, for lack of a better word, emo. God do I want to let it out, but I can't bring myself too. Outside of everyone here and obviously her I have only told 1 other person.

what did the other person say then? im pretty sure he would say the same thing most people here said

maybe you should become a cougar hunter like me  ;D
#98  May 21, 2012, 08:48:06 am
    • Thailand
#99  May 21, 2012, 11:46:23 am
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
He means he doesn't want his peers to be his (emotional) tampon.

EDIT: Oh i think i see what you did there
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

DMK

#100  May 21, 2012, 01:05:44 pm
    • USA
Not unlike me to miss shit, but what'd I do? D:
#101  May 21, 2012, 05:39:59 pm
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
You said you don't like doing that to people but you did it to everyone that helped you in this thread, is what he's saying. Unless you don't see us on the same level as your IRL friends and peers, in which case, I dunno why you would want our advice in the first place.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#102  May 21, 2012, 05:48:59 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Because it's much easier to deal with private stuff like that on the internet than to do it with your friends/family and face them.

It's not that people on the internet are easier to trust or anything, it's just that speaking on a forum is easier for many people, one of the reasons being that you're kinda "anonymized".
Many people who are funny and very lively on forums appear to be shy IRL. The internet is the media to create another persona and deal more easily with private stuff.

Not saying that I disagree with Rajaa though. :P

DMK

#103  May 21, 2012, 06:40:22 pm
    • USA
Sorry, I didn't intend for it to sound that way at all. Its why I really tried to keep it in this thread. I appreciate all the help and really, compared to friends, I knew I'd get straight up answers without any real bias here. I mean it for real, sorry if I came off like that at all. I really like all of you, every bit of help sincerely means more to me then I could ever properly put to words.
#104  May 21, 2012, 10:06:17 pm
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
Don't pay no mind to it D, I just hope things work out for you.

You deserve a more stronger minded woman anyways. It is unfair for anyone to be in a relationship like that let alone you.

DMK

#105  May 28, 2012, 05:15:08 am
    • USA
I think things just got worse, but I'll hold off posting further depending on what happens, either way for all that was going right it went to shit.
#106  May 28, 2012, 09:48:13 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
damn man. sounds like a shitty situation. It might be best to cut your losses and if she comes back she comes back. you need to put yourself in the dominant position. Don't be timid but don't be a dick either. It sounds like you've been dedicated to her and if she wants to play around she aint worth the heartache. I've had similar situations before and I put em in their place. a few of them tried to come back but I told em no because if they really wanted to be with me they'd never have left in the first place.

What I'm saying is stand tall man.. the more you huddle in a corner the more she's gonna stray from you. show confidence. and if she goes she goes. but remember she'll never have the love you gave her again. Then she'll wish she'd never have left if she tried to come back. Real couples work on their problems together...if she can't work with you on these issues then what purpose are you feeling horrible for? you want things to work...she doesn't...it's her issue not yours..yer the commited one..she's just in it for the fun.