YesNoOk

Spritesheet Expansion Thread (Read 1492473 times)

Started by Graphicus, September 18, 2011, 07:17:56 am
Share this topic:
Spritesheet Expansion Thread
#1  September 18, 2011, 07:17:56 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
The purpose of this thread is to compile new official/custom animations created by our forum artists that can be used to expand upon existing spritesheets.

Instead of creating entirely new sprite sheets from scratch, which is an extremely laborious thing, we can breathe new life into existing sheets by just adding, let's say, one or two more animations, which is a lot less work. (Don't get me wrong, I love full original sheets just as much as the next guy, but we can't expect those to pop-up that often).

For example: The only reason you couldn't make an MVC3 Shuma Gorath using the available 2D sprites is because there were no sprites for his "Hyper Mystic Ray" super move. Now there are, so a whole new version of the character can be made with significantly less work that it would take to sprite an entirely original character from scratch.

Please include the following information when submitting your animation:

- Type and name of the animation being submitted (see the four different submission sections below).
- Which spritesheet the move was created for (Example: SFA, SF3, MVC, CVS, etc... sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's hard to tell... sometimes I may not even know what game the character's from).
- Who the creator is (if it's not you).

IMPORTANT: Any requests that get fulfilled via this thread should be open source, no questions asked. You're getting one or more animations for free and this is a community project, so it goes without saying that everyone should benefit from it.

NOTE: Please submit an animated gif whenever possible. Submitting each frame individually as a sheet takes up a lot of space in the page. If you can't do it, that's fine, but keep in mind that if the image is too big, I'll be forced to put it inside a spoiler. :P

SUBMISSIONS (If anything needs to be changed/removed, let me know and I'll do it immediately):

OFFICIAL MOVES: Moves that were either only in different games or didn't appear until later games:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 09:30:53 am by Graphicus
Re: Spritesheet Expansion Thread
#2  June 13, 2012, 03:33:21 pm
    • Argentina
NEW CUSTOM MOVES: Completely new moves that have been crafted by fans.

UNUSED MOVES: Moves sprited by the original developers that didn't make it to the final game.
Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:14:58 pm by Graphicus
Spritesheet Expansion Thread
#3  December 14, 2012, 11:30:42 pm
    • Argentina
IMPROVEMENTS/MODIFICATIONS TO EXISTING ANIMATIONS: More frames for smoother animation, graphical fixes, alternate versions of moves that already exist in the spritesheet, etc...
Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:00:41 pm by Graphicus
Re: Character Upgrade Thread
#4  December 14, 2012, 11:54:04 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Would "expansion" be the word you're looking for??

Excellent idea by the way. Wouldn't this be more fitting in "development resources??"

Also, Dcat is a very good example of how to expand upon existing characters and their sprite sheets.
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#5  December 15, 2012, 12:01:26 am
    • Argentina
Would "expansion" be the word you're looking for??

Maybe? Sprite sheet expansion thread? (Dunno, it sounds weird... I think there's a better word).

Excellent idea by the way. Wouldn't this be more fitting in "development resources??"

I thought so too, but then I saw that the Midnight Bliss/Shock project (the closest thing I could find) was also in the Projects thread. If someone wants to move it, feel free (or tell me how to do it, if I'm able to :P)
Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:45:54 am by Graphicus
#6  December 15, 2012, 03:40:19 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I tried that once on my forum. But it didn't take off.

I'm actually in the works of trying something else for this. I thought of it while trying to figure out the best way to update the shared resources sticky. I'm actually basing it in MFFA because they have more members that I think would be willing to keep something like that active.

My idea was to attempt to get feedback on the pros and cons of sprite packs. Try to get the best from them and start adding edits and/or color separation if applicable.

An example of pros and cons of a sprite pack would be Demitri rips from me and from Kong. Kong did a better job than I did for the most part. I noticed in Morrigan and Ryu I missed a few frames so I don't trust my own rips from back then. However he doesn't do anything at all if something goes off screen. Like Demitri in his cursed bat form. He's got his wings cut off at the bottom of the screen where I moved the character to prevent that if needed. So my bats need to be in Kong's pack and I should add an axis readme. After that edits can be added to the pack as they are presented.
#7  December 15, 2012, 03:43:58 am
It's a great idea but you gotta get people on board
#8  December 15, 2012, 03:52:06 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
It would be best to have an area on Guild where we could add attachments and just add to different packs like that.

I have several people on board at MFFA.
#9  December 15, 2012, 05:06:54 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
This is a great idea. I redo a lot of animations just to make them more smooth or more interesting. They could probably fit here.
#10  December 15, 2012, 05:51:27 am
    • Argentina

I created some Metsu Shoryuken sprites back in the day, which I intend to upgrade at one point (the sprites are really old and ugly).
I also did some lineart work of the Hyper Mystic Ray for Cyanide's Shuma Gorath.

It would be best to have an area on Guild where we could add attachments and just add to different packs like that.

Well, for now I was hoping this would be it. :D
#11  December 15, 2012, 06:04:19 pm
  • SEIYAA!
    • Sweden
    • artbyjiggeh.tumblr.com
I think this is an awesome idea. I like doing pixel art but I'm often busy with all kinds of other stuff, so even if I'd want to do more stuff (which is kind of rare in the first place), an animation for like a special move or two seems to be all I can muster before I either lose interest, become preoccupied with something else, or both.

I'd be happy to contribute, at least something relatively simple like something new for an SFZ/MVC character, but frankly I'd have no idea where to begin. I'm not sure if requests would be the best way to go (although I think it's one option), but maybe someone could start compiling some sort of reference list for what kinds of animations for what characters would be appropriate? IE moves characters have gained in later games, like you mention, but maybe also stuff like running/chip/parry/etc animations that some but not all SFZ characters had in CVS2, or whatever. Maybe some sort of combination of both, a reference list for clueless people like me, with kind of an open invitation for people to suggest or request what they'd like to be able to use in their particular projects.

Whether it becomes more of an organized project or not I think it's at least a good idea to have a thread here to collect whatever sprites people do produce.
#12  December 27, 2012, 02:47:39 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
I guess I'm already doing this for Blackheart and R Mika.

I would do something for Venom, but a lot of folks on MFG,or whatever its called, did that.
Spriting is hard.
Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:51:24 am by SociallyRetardedPod
#13  December 27, 2012, 03:07:49 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
A character upgrade thread? Hope for the best.
#14  December 27, 2012, 11:58:06 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
That's what I did with CvS2 Chun Li. Also Rose received that upgrade. And others :3
I swear there was something cool here!!
#15  December 27, 2012, 12:17:25 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
well im pretty good at making characters worse.....upgrading...i dunno
#16  December 27, 2012, 02:01:28 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
This sounds like a fun challenge. Though I haven't done anything in any of the "standard" resolutions in a long time. Anything to throw at me?
#17  December 27, 2012, 06:01:58 pm
    • Argentina
Judas: I posted some examples throughout the thread that you're welcome to try. These are the general ideas:

- New moves introduced in UMvC3 that weren't in MvC1/2, which require a new animation.
- SF4 moves for SF3 sprites (I say SF3 sprites because these tend to be the most common bases for 2D SF4 characters. Of course, if you want to use Alpha sprites or SF2 sprites, I don't see a problem with that).

Diepod and FeLo_Llop: Yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to! :)

Essentially, anything that can be done to bring new life to an old sheet that doesn't require spriting an entire sheet from scratch is more than welcome!
#18  December 27, 2012, 07:21:31 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I guess it will fit here... I am finishing a redo of Demitri's stance animation same DS style and everything. Its really the same animation, I am just making it way smoother. 24 frames vs it original 12 frames. I will post it as soon as I finish it up, Im sure someone will enjoy it. I might do more DS animation like this depending on the responses to Demitri's stance.

I also plan on redoing SF3 Yun and Yangs stances too since they look stiff and poorly done.

Glad this thread exists. Need a good way to lump everything together so everything will be easy to find. Maybe you can just lump everything together in your first post... once they start coming in....
Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:56:37 pm by ink
#19  December 27, 2012, 07:46:26 pm
    • Argentina
Looking forward to it! :)
#20  December 27, 2012, 08:22:12 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Can you make that an update of his capcom fighting evolution sprites? Since they are upgrades of his DS sprites already?