YesNoOk

Dcat's TMNT WIP Thread (Read 94061 times)

Started by Dcat, July 02, 2020, 04:53:24 am
Share this topic:
Dcat's TMNT WIP Thread
#1  July 02, 2020, 04:53:24 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
Trying my hand at everyone's favorite Action News Reporter!

I intend for this to be a joint project between me and our very own COTM Winner DJ HANNIBALROYCE. I'm still spriting her basics at the moment but I came up with a few early sprites that I'd like to share with you all. this thread is to update you guys on my progress and for general open discussion for any move suggestions, cameos, or anything you guys would like to see in the character going forward. Or if anyone's got any old artwork box-scans or classic TMNT gems they'd like to contribute, post it here and as always, thanks for your time.

Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 04:35:08 am by Dcat
Re: TMNT April O'Neil WIP
#2  July 02, 2020, 05:57:57 am
    • USA
Wow man! I didn't expect you would be doing April O'Neil! May the best of luck to both you 2!
#3  July 02, 2020, 06:23:09 am
I was expecting Rocksteady or Casey Jones but April would be interesting. My only question is will the gameplay be similar to your other TMNT chars or will it have the over the top style Royce’s chars usually have
#4  July 02, 2020, 08:30:04 am
Interesting. Let's see how she goes with the Turtles and the bad guys.
#5  July 02, 2020, 08:38:50 am
  • Symbiotes
    • Ukraine
    • malevka2011@yandex.ru
    • Skype - malevka2
    • deviantart.com/malevka1/gallery
Wow! Interesting. Good luck to you

#6  July 02, 2020, 09:05:48 am
Wow man! I didn't expect you would be doing April O'Neil! May the best of luck to both you 2!

I was expecting Rocksteady or Casey Jones but April would be interesting. My only question is will the gameplay be similar to your other TMNT chars or will it have the over the top style Royce’s chars usually have

Yeah, I was thinking about going with either of them too, but thought that April needed some respect. I've always been a fan of jumpsuit April and really wanted to see her converted for MUGEN. After seeing Merso-x's excellent Rescue-Palooza game and how he has her use the microphone as a whip attack I was inspired!

My only question is will the gameplay be similar to your other TMNT chars or will it have the over the top style Royce’s chars usually have

I want April to play as a sort of mix of both of our respective styles. Personally I really like to focus on combo-heavy gameplay, with lots of juggles and all that. But I wanted to give her some seamless full-screen "News Report" type specials & supers. My skill-set with coding those immersive hyper attacks is severely lacking in my opinion, so I sought out DJ HANNIBAL ROYCE for that department and he's graciously agreed to help bring April O'Neil to life for MUGEN.

I've been an admirer of Royce's work and the really unique approach to gameplay he always takes is just pure creativity. All the quirks and surprises they bring to things should offer much more appeal to this project than if I were going it alone. Plus Royce's AI coding is stellar, and that's always been another of my weak spots lo these many years.

Together I hope we can make a great April O'Neil character that has some classic callbacks, Royce's interactive moveset/ Over the Top Supers combined with solid combo potential you've come to expect from an arcade TMNT creation! Still need to compile the .SFF and really get things going here, the color seperation is doing me in a bit... stay tuned.

Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:22:49 am by Dcat
#7  July 02, 2020, 11:27:34 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Nice to see an actual April, who is April !
#8  July 02, 2020, 11:59:22 am
Nice to see an actual April, who is April !

So, was the other April too Blaze-ish? I do agree on Dcat, only we get is the fighter April from the Genesis and as a support in the other TMNT games.
#9  July 02, 2020, 05:52:10 pm
  • What is life without tacos?
    • USA
    • catanesetyler@gmail.com
Yooooo this is exciting. Seeing you and Royce work together is something I never knew I wanted until now. Veey excited for this project Dcat, can't wait to see how crazy her supers will be with Royce's coding skills. She'll definitely be an insane character no doubt.
#10  July 02, 2020, 06:42:44 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
This looks really cool! Good luck on your project! I guess you can always do a move involving a news van running someone over or maybe even incorporating that intro where the statue of liberty is stolen (maybe have it dropped on the opponent or something) wishing you all the best with this!

Here's some images I hope that can help, ideas from the action figures and the intro I mentioned from Turtles in Time
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#11  July 02, 2020, 08:13:53 pm
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
Dcat and DJHR working together is a sight to behold. And we're getting another awesome TMNT character as well.

For April's moveset, using the gun and shurikens her figure came with is a good concept, but she could definitely use her fan from the 2012 series.

Spriting is harder than I thought.
#12  July 02, 2020, 09:56:08 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
#13  July 02, 2020, 10:16:48 pm
#14  July 03, 2020, 01:29:43 am
  • Dcat brought me back to Mugen!
    • USA
    • www.flickr.com/photos/22047800@N07/
Woah, looking good, dcat!  I sent you a Private Message to see if I can be of service on this in a big way!
Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:56:22 am by oldmanwinters

DW

#15  July 03, 2020, 02:26:33 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Aww... Such a cute sprite style lol. Looks really nice, good luck with everything. Looking forward to it.
#16  July 03, 2020, 02:14:54 pm
Aww... Such a cute sprite style lol. Looks really nice, good luck with everything. Looking forward to it.

I've been trying to update/fix-up my initial sprite edits from her cameo in my Shredder character. But I've found that I've needed to resize her for the full character and completely overhaul some things. Hopefully it'll be familiar enough to read as '87 cartoon April

GTA said:
Also, nice to see to get attention of April. You have good taste. I guess Rocksteady can wait, unless you make a echo fighter of Bebop (lol).

Anyway, on April. We can't forget the many incarnation of Aprils in other TMNT universe. So, why not give her different clothing on her intro or in her win pose. Like the way Morrigan does that. Her special moves based on the TMNT Fighting Sega Game.

That's a great idea! there's so many different Aprils, to choose from.

Yeah I have some ideas for Rocksteady. just thought that April needed to get rolling before attempting him since there's far fewer base sprites available for her from the source games. I have a general direction for where I wanna go with Rocksteady but I needed a bit more help with idea engineering for April, and thought it best to start getting some ideas down for her.

My dream goal is to possibly make as many characters as possible (April, Rocksteady, Casey Jones, & Splinter included) so I could one day put 'em all in a big complete fighter like what Kamekaze did with TMNT x Justice League. The trend in mugen seems to be full-game fighter packs.
Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 02:24:48 pm by Dcat
#17  July 03, 2020, 06:14:24 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Wishing you good luck on completing all your goals for future characters as well! I know it doesn't necessarily apply to your characters but if you did decide to include a Midnight Bliss animation, you can probably even reserve one of her various looks for that as well, otherwise just the variable intros would be great. I don't think it would help much but you might get some ideas for animations from the Smash-Up game although that's a different version, but maybe some katana based moves would be a nice nod to that iteration of her
#18  July 05, 2020, 08:15:51 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
I CANNOT WAIT! Dcat and I are gonna go crazy!!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehhe
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#19  July 05, 2020, 11:15:08 pm
  • Smart Icoca wannabe!
    • Poland
    • samouczek.com/
She could swing her mic in simillar fashion to relento rotates his baton.
#20  July 06, 2020, 04:33:08 pm
    • USA
Y'all don't even know how hyped I am to see April in the MUGEN community. Congrats to both of y'all.