YesNoOk

"History of PotS" video? (Read 8370 times)

Started by RagingRowen, July 07, 2021, 03:01:26 pm
"History of PotS" video?
#1  July 07, 2021, 03:01:26 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
My current plan is a showcase of each of his original releases, mainly his characters that spawned the PotS style, with a couple of neat facts here and there based on what I could find.

One point I'll bring up is that his Guy and Shin Gouki used the same style as his Pocket Shin Gouki, but his Ryu which started the style we know came before normal Shin Gouki on his network site.
I remember Akito telling me about it in PMs and oraora?/hulkhogan bringing it up in the "An Explainer on POTS 'style'" thread.

It would also be cool to see the original versions mentioned, though they're likely lost.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
Re: "History of PotS" video?
#2  July 07, 2021, 05:25:10 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Luckily there are still a lot of active users that were around back then so a ton of information could be dug up, if you ask around. I think there is probably a lot more to PoTS than what most would think.

It would be cool if the community had a historian documenting some of the more memorable contributors. I Know Kamekaze did interviews with some vets but that's a little different.
#3  July 08, 2021, 04:18:15 am
I remember I had the shin gouki and guy in poc shin gouki's style where I downloaded a compiled Mugen game in 2007 or so, I need to go and check it around this week if I have the time and if it is ok, I can post the download links of these two here if you or anyone wants to try it? The Shin Gouki's small portrait was also different from the current one iirc.

Edit: I just happen to find the select screen of it, Shin Gouki is between Gato and Mukai on the third row:

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:38:38 am by oraora?
#4  July 09, 2021, 08:00:08 am
    • UK
I remember I had the shin gouki and guy in poc shin gouki's style where I downloaded a compiled Mugen game in 2007 or so, I need to go and check it around this week if I have the time and if it is ok, I can post the download links of these two here if you or anyone wants to try it? The Shin Gouki's small portrait was also different from the current one iirc.

Edit: I just happen to find the select screen of it, Shin Gouki is between Gato and Mukai on the third row:

If that's the case then you're a dedicated soul if I ever saw one and I couldn't thank you more.
WIP Schedule:
#5  July 09, 2021, 08:30:26 am
  • The other Indian
    • India

If that's the case then you're a dedicated soul if I ever saw one and I couldn't thank you more.

Isn't pots stuff up with working links on this forum? All the links work fine

https://network.mugenguild.com/pots/
#6  July 09, 2021, 08:37:30 am
    • UK

Isn't pots stuff up with working links on this forum? All the links work fine

https://network.mugenguild.com/pots/

We're talking about the original early versions of the mentioned chars. Which weren't there when I checked.
WIP Schedule:
#7  July 09, 2021, 10:38:44 am
    • USA
Who remembers the POTS forum? IIRC, POTS had his own forum on his website a long time ago.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#8  July 09, 2021, 11:03:36 am
    • UK
WIP Schedule:
#9  July 09, 2021, 01:23:45 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
That's an awesome idea, Raging. I'd add, how some other creators were inspired by him, making short interview or adding their collaboration in the video. I'd say JMorphman, Karma, Kame,  etc for adding some names to the bunch and how PotS influenced them.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#10  July 09, 2021, 02:17:10 pm
Just on POTS alone ? are you going to include the Jman, DW, Karma in the video ? as they pretty much have the style locked by a long shot.

#11  July 09, 2021, 03:26:28 pm

#12  July 09, 2021, 04:02:59 pm
    • UK
Just on POTS alone ? are you going to include the Jman, DW, Karma in the video ? as they pretty much have the style locked by a long shot.

I'll stick to just PotS, but give the likes of Jman a mention because he's the one that picked up PotS' Ken.
WIP Schedule:
#13  July 10, 2021, 12:48:35 pm
    • UK
Lil' update. Characters will be showcased in separate parts due to my incompetence with commentary. Part 1 will include a bit of Pocket Shin Gouki with the main focus being on Ryu, Guy and Shin Gouki.
WIP Schedule:
Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:50:20 pm by RagingRowen
#14  July 15, 2021, 08:15:04 am
Hi, I am sorry to say that the mugen game that had that old version of shin gouki which was in my cd-rom is corrupted  :mcry: I am terribly sorry, maybe you might want to post the select screen that I posted here in your video?

#15  July 15, 2021, 01:15:58 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
this is and interesting idea. I hope this gonna be an informative one. details of his characters, gameplay mechanisms, website/forum (if existed), how pots influenced other reknown author, newly added feature to pots style by newcomers and other stuffs.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#16  July 22, 2021, 08:05:26 pm
Excellent idea bro. I was recently playing with gladiacloud’s choujin system characters and I noticed how mechanically similar pots’ creations are to choujin’s releases. Ki charge = manual meter charging, teleport = invincible roll, and from reading pots’ changelogs he’s mentioned that his sf chars used to be able to do ground chaining. It went full circle years later when infinite re-implemented it (but this time with air combos!!) on his own takes. I don’t want to put words in his mouth but he I think he was probably more inspired by duracelleur’s six-button edits than pots older releases.

Anyway this thread you were on is very informative to me: https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/an-explainer-pots-style-187886.0.html If you’re interested you might want to extend your video a bit by taking a look at pots’ influences and the creators he’s influenced in turn.
#17  July 22, 2021, 08:51:48 pm
    • UK
Excellent idea bro. I was recently playing with gladiacloud’s choujin system characters and I noticed how mechanically similar pots’ creations are to choujin’s releases. Ki charge = manual meter charging, teleport = invincible roll, and from reading pots’ changelogs he’s mentioned that his sf chars used to be able to do ground chaining. It went full circle years later when infinite re-implemented it (but this time with air combos!!) on his own takes. I don’t want to put words in his mouth but he I think he was probably more inspired by duracelleur’s six-button edits than pots older releases.

Anyway this thread you were on is very informative to me: https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/an-explainer-pots-style-187886.0.html If you’re interested you might want to extend your video a bit by taking a look at pots’ influences and the creators he’s influenced in turn.

Dura started his To-Six edits in 2011 while Infinite started the SvK style and patches in 2009, with the PotS-Infinite style we know today starting in 2012 (Not quite sure) so I'm pretty sure he was just inspired by MvC style in general.

Already aware of that thread, though. Have no fear.
WIP Schedule:
#18  July 22, 2021, 11:09:10 pm
Whoa I didn't know that. You're right duracelleur's edits do resemble infinite's svk patch a lot. I forgot to add another thing pots could’ve been inspired by was choujin’s use of flashy custom hitsparks… but I’m not sure. It could’ve been common practice by the time they were both active.

Last off-topic question on this thread I promise: Was froz already working on wolverine before infinite released a character in his revamped style or was it vice versa? Bc I feel like froz’s wolvie sort of bridges the gap between pots’ darkstalkers chars and infinite’s modern system.
#19  July 23, 2021, 12:08:36 am
    • UK
Last off-topic question on this thread I promise: Was froz already working on wolverine before infinite released a character in his revamped style or was it vice versa? Bc I feel like froz’s wolvie sort of bridges the gap between pots’ darkstalkers chars and infinite’s modern system.

Froz's Wolverine was late 2014 but was traditional PotS with the added extras being Infinite's Palette Selector and optional Blood.
WIP Schedule:
#20  July 23, 2021, 01:52:04 am
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
It would be cool if the community had a historian documenting some of the more memorable contributors. I Know Kamekaze did interviews with some vets but that's a little different.

We do have a few ppl doing exactly this on NAM forums.
We have a mugen Forbes list section with bios for the widely accepted GOAT veterans,
Such as Reu, illusionista, master yoda, vyn, warusaki, infinite, neo gouki, ricepigeon, djvans, duracelleur, electr0, zerosennin, ikaruga etc,
and a mugen world network section for everyone else that may or maynot be equally as well known.

But theres still many missing and on the list to be done as it is a time consuming task but eventually it should be quite solid and resourceful.
The issue is finding still more still active vets from those golden eras that care enough to document all the lost knowledge of the who and the what, but we make do lol.