YesNoOk

Look at my hand drawn sprites, and help me (Read 11072 times)

Started by gamejunkie, August 03, 2008, 11:40:57 pm
Look at my hand drawn sprites, and help me
#1  August 03, 2008, 11:40:57 pm
heres what i have, I have the walking animation and the punching animation done. and the chainsaw animation just needs to be colored(chain saw one has not been posted up yet but soon)

and sketches

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Rays_Gallery/index.php?showtopic=30

look at them, tell me if they are good enough yet and i also need some one to kinda hold my hand in inporting the sprites into the game.
Re: Look at my hand drawn sprites, and help me
#2  August 04, 2008, 12:44:12 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
You sketch very well, I must say, but you're showing us cannot be considered "sprites" yet.
A sprite has very defined outlines, and is "pixel art".

If you look at this WIP topic, you'll see a lot of animations mixing sketches and actual sprites :
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=68030.0

Continue making your sketches and render them into sprites. Get the sprites done, and if they have as much potential as the sketches seem to have, you'll receive the necessary help in programming when the time comes.
#3  August 04, 2008, 01:11:56 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
Nice animation concepts! I'd say that when the time comes for making the final sprites, if you aren't comfortable with actually drawing them pixel-by-pixel, I'd suggest drawing all your frames as vector art using Flash or Illustrator or something similar. Vector art is scalable to any size, and uses a strictly-defined color palette. Because of this, they should theoretically be easy to convert into a sprite-like bitmaps at whatever you wish the final size to be. You can then do any necessary touch-ups at the pixel-by-pixel level.
#4  August 04, 2008, 03:07:18 am
I read the topic and i still dont really get what i should do. how do I make my hand drawn sketched into pixel renderings, pls explain, and thanks for answering so quickly.
(UPDATE)
i found out how to make gifs but  still not pixel art.

You sketch very well, I must say, but you're showing us cannot be considered "sprites" yet.
A sprite has very defined outlines, and is "pixel art".

If you look at this WIP topic, you'll see a lot of animations mixing sketches and actual sprites :
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=68030.0

Continue making your sketches and render them into sprites. Get the sprites done, and if they have as much potential as the sketches seem to have, you'll receive the necessary help in programming when the time comes.
Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:48:23 am by gamejunkie
#5  August 04, 2008, 07:17:16 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The problem with vector art is antialiasing, though some clever palette manipulation should get rid of some od it.
#6  August 04, 2008, 08:28:49 pm
#7  August 04, 2008, 10:23:38 pm
http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=219
Pixel Art best tutorial

Once you get the hang of pixel art if your going to post animation well .gif is the proper format. For single Sprites is .png why because it renders your work with no artifacting caused by other formats like jpg.

Here is a Vector Tutorial from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMSGW4fGnr8 Bradfitz Patrick so you can get an idea. The only small problem is when you
export the file you have to clean up the file so it can look nice in mugen. Another one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b3i7WczyIE&feature=related from TaraCross

Vectors is another way to get around but you would need a program like Adobe Flash or Illustrator but that’s a whole other story.

I will try and help you get started with one frame.

edit 8/5/08

The outline.

Colored version after the outline something a bit quick did not know what colors to paint the shirt.

Vector exports, I did a basic outline in Adobe Flash the save them in .png

I did not post the vector file because I would need a pro account at photobucket but what ever.

Exported without any filters.

Exported with smooth. Looks nice an smooth but this is not the correct format for Mugen.

After exporting reducing image color pal to 33 colors.

Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:20:13 pm by _kronos_
#8  August 07, 2008, 06:15:11 pm
wow that second one looks incredible. I actually put together some standing sprites but couldn't post any thing because the site was done on my computer. nOthing is finalized so i can still take all your help and tips. also how did you color it? does it just look that good because you have a lot of experience with sprites? or did you use a special program or something.

any way, this is what i have so far.

Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:20:14 pm by gamejunkie
#9  August 11, 2008, 05:16:00 pm
   The program I uses is Adobe PhotoShop , but you can use MS paint an other programs to paint sprites. There is no shortcuts that I know of to convert a drawing directly into a sprite. I just have a bit of  patience and work on detail. I have some experience, but some of it was gained here at the guild. Reading the critiques posted has helped me.  Here is a very good reference in colors from various game rips.  http://www.justnopoint.com/ggslash/index.php?id=4

more on Pixel art http://pixelation.wayofthepixel.net/ later good luck

MDI

#10  August 11, 2008, 07:31:52 pm
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
I have no helpful input on this thread but I will say that those sketches are fuckin sweet.
ey
#11  August 12, 2008, 02:25:52 am
You have a really good sense of motion here, although I think the chainsaw animation needs s'more frames, particularly around the end.
#12  August 12, 2008, 08:59:35 pm
thanks Michael David Ivanoff and Street Spriter.

I've been working non-stop on this project for the past week. And I've doubled my experience i think. I now have a great understanding of Fighter Factory and sprite making. I've fond out a quicker way that better suits me. Thanks to trial and error. It's not a new method by any meens it just cuts out any use of the pencil tool.
I draw the character, scan him, color him and turn him into a ,pcx file. and get some thing like this.

Works fine, I've created 3 characters so far.
-Green dude (he can duck, punch, jump, walk, shot a lazer from his mouth)
-The shirtless afro guy (only standing animation is done)
-and the same guy but with a shirt and less detail (can punch but is also being redrawn)

So far I've been stumped by the easyest problem. Make the background color on my sprites go away. I need some help with that. I watched a tutorial on you tube bt that was for paint shopx and I read a tutorial for photoshop but it just confused me. How would i go about ridding myself of the backgroun=d colors on photoshop?

and thanks again for all the support.

#13  August 15, 2008, 06:58:30 am
never mind, I figured it out.

heres to pics of my progress.

#14  August 17, 2008, 01:24:37 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
You have to think about cleaning the edges and reducing the number of colors in your palette.
#15  August 17, 2008, 07:20:50 am
cleaned the stubble, or that extra pink on the edges, just darken the character shape with a sharpy marker. Finished the character portrait.  but now im having trouble with backgrounds, how do you figure out the color zero on a background? I'll post the new updates i did after some sleep.
#16  August 18, 2008, 08:00:58 pm
I'm still working on posting those images but a quick question. If i work with the hi-REZ mugen, will all the art be less pixle-ated? Because the portrait is looking a little blocky.
#17  August 18, 2008, 08:36:00 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yes.
#18  August 25, 2008, 02:14:01 am
here are some more updates, the in game picture came out funny, so i stretched it in photoshop to fix it. and a background I made, so far the background only looks good in high def, same with the character, but i can only show low rez stuff for now.

#19  August 29, 2008, 08:12:17 am
Im really starting to get a hang of this, at the rate im going I can have this first practice character out at the end of the month. heres some more images of my progress. I did not alter these, so hopefully the come out better. tell me what you think.

#20  September 04, 2008, 11:54:52 pm
Thanks for all the support. As for afro man, I'm trying to baby that character, get the art just right. I'm actually working with another artist so we can get it up to hopefully streetfighter 3 standards. There is alot of redrawn sprites he might look completely different for the better. The "green dude" is like the the gini pig, but he will have crazy moves as well like, the rocket launcher. I'll get to updating.
thanks again for the support.