YesNoOk

Poison Ivy MvC-ish Edit for 1.0 (updated Mar-3rd-24) (Read 5590 times)

Started by Swanky, January 30, 2021, 11:46:08 am
Share this topic:
Poison Ivy MvC-ish Edit for 1.0 (updated Mar-3rd-24)
New #1  January 30, 2021, 11:46:08 am
Poison Ivy
by Zvitor & Harbinger
edits by Swanky

original Hyper Combo Finish sprites by Winane
Hyper Combo Finish sound ripped by MystikBlaze
Alpha Counter AI code by MystikBlaze
alternative Portrait by Shulbocka

click!

Poison Ivy by Zvitor and Harbinger is a visual work of beauty. However, I found her gameplay a bit hacked up and decided to "fix" that.

Changelist:
- She now has a Hyper Combo Finish screen. Original sprites by Winane, edited by Swanky
- several attacks weren't chaining together right, or had really weird hittimes. Fixed both.
- Hitboxes for jMK and jHK made larger for more consistent air comboing
- changed hitdef on cHP (launcher) to allow for juggling opponents, now costs 2 juggling points
- made many of her attacks including basics, specials & even some hypers start up a little faster
- as a result to her much improved damage ability, juggling points were toned down to 11
- her QCF KK comes out faster, ground foliage doesn't bind to player anymore to prevent it floating in the air
- her QCF PP does not get removed on gethit. It is now a very potent tool to shut down close opponents
- fixed a few missing numhelper triggers, reducing logspam
- fixed a warning in statedef 12
- I think I also fixed a typo in her quotes... :P

Update 1.05 - Still needs a bit more testing.
- changed some anim frame times for QCF K and QCB K moves
- changed QCB K position from 10 to -10 on P2 and vel y to -10. This will launch P2 on hit, and the position slightly behind P2 will lauch them into Poison Ivy for more combo potential.
- changed QCB KK hyper damage from 250,10 to 350,10. More inline with other damage supers and also needed because this thing is otherwise useless with its high startup time

Update 1.05 expands on this by reworking QCB K into another tool that can launch and / or juggle enemies, opening them up for more combo setups. Try experimenting
with sHK into QCB K into any combo you want. Keep your eyes on the amount of juggle points you have and set them up with QCF mP for a massively damaging Hyper Combo.

Update 1.06
- added safety checks to 236P and 214P specials to better prevent infinites.
- sHP, sHK & 214K now have fall.recover = 0 in order to make 214K combos work (better). Not the most elegant way I admit but it works. (thanks PotS)
- changed juggle points back to 15 but lowered atk value to 90 from 100 because more juggling fun
- dialed back the 214KK hyper damage a little
- added hyper armor / boss checks to several attacks so they trigger a different hitdef so those attacks remain useful when fighting them.
   You can add more characters to var4 in statedef -2 if necessary
- 236K should now be able to hit downed enemies
- added Alpha Counter

WIth the rework it should now be possible to do longer and more creative combos, such as:
sWP, sMP, sHP, 236 mP
sWP, sWK, sMP, sHK, 214 K
sWP, sWK, sMP, sHK, 236 mP -> cHP, 8 -> jWP, jWK, jMP, jMK, jHK
sWP, sWK, sMP, sHK, 214 K -> sWP, sWK, sMP, sHP, 236 mP -> sHP, 236 mP -> 236 KK

My other releases

MOAR Screenshots:

Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:37:04 pm by Swanky
Re: Poison Ivy MvC-ish Edit for 1.0
#2  January 31, 2021, 02:00:03 am
  • The Forsaken Warrior
  • Let us grieve existence, together.
    • Mexico
Interesting, giving this a shot for sure!
#3  January 31, 2021, 03:30:58 pm

Been meaning to give Ivy a bit of a sprite and gameplay upgrade at some point so this gives me a few pointers (along with Mr. Giangs edit)

I like the fact her QCF PP hyper doesn't stop on getting hit, makes it way more useful now.

She's not meant to be a combo fiend, so improving her current tools and making her faster definitely makes her feel better. Although when designing her specials I did throw everything at her including the kitchen sink so I think some of them are redundant and her gameplay needs some adjustments. Particularly her QCF K special, this needs some changes to make it more useful.
#4  January 31, 2021, 09:34:31 pm
Been meaning to give Ivy a bit of a sprite and gameplay upgrade at some point so this gives me a few pointers (along with Mr. Giangs edit)

I like the fact her QCF PP hyper doesn't stop on getting hit, makes it way more useful now.

She's not meant to be a combo fiend, so improving her current tools and making her faster definitely makes her feel better. Although when designing her specials I did throw everything at her including the kitchen sink so I think some of them are redundant and her gameplay needs some adjustments. Particularly her QCF K special, this needs some changes to make it more useful.

Good to know you still want to work on her. Wasn't sure since the last release was... about a year ago I think? :)

As for her kit. Tough to say.
I probably should've widened her QCB P hitboxes and switched medium & heavy versions since medium has a stun.
Her QCF K could easily act like Thor's QCF K Thunderstrike version (that can be chained from low to medium to heavy for combo damage), but has to be blocked low. Could be pretty fun to combo into as well. Depending on time & mood, might fiddle around with the idea later. Other idea is to rework it into a bait&counter attack.
Only thing I don't have a direct application for right now is her QCB K, which just summons a thing at a range, doing neglectable damage and being relatively slow.
Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:50:20 am by Swanky
#5  February 11, 2024, 08:23:09 pm
I have updated Poison Ivy.
Changelog:
Update 1.05
- changed some anim frame times for QCF K and QCB K moves
- changed QCB K position from 10 to -10 on P2 and vel y to -10. This will launch P2 on hit, and the position slightly behind P2 will lauch them into Poison Ivy for more combo potential.
- changed QCB KK hyper damage from 250,10 to 350,10. More inline with other damage supers and also needed because this thing is otherwise useless with its high startup time

Update 1.05 expands on this by reworking QCB K into another tool that can launch and / or juggle enemies, opening them up for more combo setups. Try experimenting
with sHK into QCB K into any combo you want. Keep your eyes on the amount of juggle points you have and set them up with QCF mP for a massively damaging Hyper Combo.

Hopefully I haven't introduced an infinite... Still needs a bit more testing.

Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:36:08 pm by Swanky
Re: Poison Ivy MvC-ish Edit for 1.0 (updated Feb-11th-24)
New #6  March 03, 2024, 02:38:07 pm
I have updated Poison Ivy... again. click!

Update 1.06
- added safety checks to 236P and 214P specials to better prevent infinites.
- sHP, sHK & 214K now have fall.recover = 0 in order to make 214K combos work (better). Not the most elegant way I admit but it works. (thanks PotS)
- changed juggle points back to 15 but lowered atk value to 90 from 100 because more juggling fun
- dialed back the 214KK hyper damage a little
- added hyper armor / boss checks to several attacks so they trigger a different hitdef so those attacks remain useful when fighting them.
   You can add more characters to var4 in statedef -2 if necessary
- 236K should now be able to hit downed enemies
- added Alpha Counter
Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:36:36 pm by Swanky