YesNoOk

Chespin char's palettes can't be reordered by editing the .def file (Read 2112 times)

Started by Hareimu, May 18, 2020, 03:06:19 am
Share this topic:
Chespin char's palettes can't be reordered by editing the .def file
#1  May 18, 2020, 03:06:19 am
  • Shrine Maiden of Paradise
  • Just another Mugen enthusiast. Nice to meet ya!
    • Argentina
Hey there! First topic here I believe, I have an issue with Dylanius9000's Chespin character's palettes.
So, apparently he made it so that the normal palette for Chespin is assigned to the X button and not the A button (this one has an "Autumn" palette assigned to it). It's cool and it works, but I wanted to reorder it so that I can select the normal palette with the A button instead of the X button. Thing is, this is becoming a nightmare to do for some reason.
  • I've tried changing the number of the palettes in the .def file so that they swap places, like I did with many other characters I downloaded. Didn't work; orange palette still loads with A.
  • I've tried renaming the palettes in the character's folder so that the Autumn palette took the normal palette's place and viceversa to see if it was just an issue with the palette's names being confused. Didn't work; orange is A.
  • I've tried deleting the autumn palette altogether and swapping it to a different palette the character had in the folder, and this is where it gets weird; orange is still A. At this point I double checked if I was loading the correct .def file, I tried opening the character up with Fighter Factory to see if it was coloured orange by default or something like that; nope, he was green and brown as he should be.
  • Finally I tried looking the issue up by just trying my luck with the keywords "palette issues" and I came across a topic that said something about the "pal.default" line in the character's .def file. Having opened Chespin's .def file up, I checked to see how it was laid out, and I made sure to change it to something by the likes of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 (the character has 12 palettes). Again, no results.
  • I've tried redownloading the character and playing around by just deleting the autumn .act file again and just changing the loaded palettes' names to anything BUT Chespin's green colour just for good measure. And this is the weirdest thing of all; all other palettes loaded up properly in their respective buttons, EXCEPT for the first one, which still refused to change colour and was as orange as when I began trying to change him up.

At this point I'm starting to think there may be something that forces the character's palette to be orange either inside the cns files or in how the palettes were mapped in fighter factory, but I'm clueless at this point.

Here are some screenshots to illustrate my issue:

This is how the character shows up by selecting the A palette.

This is how the character should look normally, but is the fourth (X) palette; I want to switch it with the above one. It's still not working.

These are all the palettes that can be specified in the .def file (16 palettes, I'm suspicious about the numbered chespin ones though)

Here's how they're mapped.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, as I'm trying to learn as much as possible about how this all works. Thanks for reading, and nice to meet you!

Re: Chespin char's palettes can't be reordered by editing the .def file
#2  May 18, 2020, 07:51:50 am
    • USA
That is not how you change palette mapping.

The character probably has the palettes built into the ACT file, as is the Mugen 1.x standard.  To change what button gives you a certain palette, use the palette keymap block.

Just add this to the bottom of the DEF file.  This example gives you palette 1 on X.  You can do some interesting tricks with this, like splitting characters that have an EX mode on start easily.

[Palette Keymap]
x = 1
y = 2
z = 3
a = 4
b = 5
c = 6
x2 = 7 ;Hold Start and press button X for palette 7, etc.
y2 = 8
z2 = 9
a2 = 10
b2 = 11
c2 = 12

The pal.defaults line controls the palette order selected by the CPU, by default, etc...  This can also be used for some nice effects, but it's not useful for what you're trying to do.
Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:54:58 am by NotAGoodName
Re: Chespin char's palettes can't be reordered by editing the .def file
#3  May 18, 2020, 08:19:14 pm
  • Shrine Maiden of Paradise
  • Just another Mugen enthusiast. Nice to meet ya!
    • Argentina
Hey there! Thank you so much for answering my question; I'll try it when I get on my pc again. Quick question though, how do you know which palette is "1" when doing that? Is it directly related to how you set them up in the pal1,pal2,pal3 section of the file? Or is it just trial and error?