YesNoOk

SF2 Demake using Gameboy sprites (Read 61236 times)

Started by basementApe, February 06, 2020, 02:05:35 pm
Share this topic:
SF2 Demake using Gameboy sprites
#1  February 06, 2020, 02:05:35 pm
    • Norway
Hey everybody!

I'm working on an SF2 Demake using retouched GB sprites and redrawn SF2 backdrops and portraits. I wrote the engine from scratch in Gamemaker Studio 2 for a game project of mine and repurposed it to mimic SF2 gameplay.

E. Honda and Dhalsim are absent from the GB version, so instead redrawing their sprites in GB scale I decided to fill their slots with a couple of my own characters instead. You can see them in action in the second and third video below.

Please let me know what you think! :D

Re: SF2 Demake using Gameboy sprites
#2  February 06, 2020, 06:07:16 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Looks great!
I like the idea to have new characters!

Is this engine that good for fighting game ?
I'm not familliar with it.
#3  February 06, 2020, 07:20:00 pm
    • Brazil
it looks more fluid than SF2 itself lol
#4  February 06, 2020, 09:01:50 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
Wow! I like the colors and everything, pretty solid indeed.
#5  February 06, 2020, 11:34:06 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Original characters? You have my attention sir. I remember a version of Ken in Knuckle Fighter Alpha that had Game Boy sprites, so cool they're getting more use.
#6  February 07, 2020, 03:41:26 am
    • Argentina
    • sites.google.com/view/senseiyoda/sensei-yodas-mugen
Wow looks great man!  :yuno:
#7  February 08, 2020, 03:37:45 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Nice!! Also, Panzer does not suffer of mirror syndrome! His robot arm keeps in his right one :D!!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#8  February 09, 2020, 03:21:28 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Wow, I'm in love with the sprites, the phasing of gameplay and the design of the original characters!
This is gold. I'm absolutley interested! Continue this amazement my friend.

Unrelated note: Deilig å se noen med samme flagget for en gang skyld, svært sjeldent.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#9  February 09, 2020, 03:50:41 am
    • Norway
Thank you all for the feedback :D

Is this engine that good for fighting game ?
I'm not familliar with it.
It's an all-purpose game engine so Mugen is no doubt easier to use for 2D fighting games. That said, I have no experience with Mugen so I don't know how they compare for performance or stability.

I remember a version of Ken in Knuckle Fighter Alpha that had Game Boy sprites, so cool they're getting more use.
Yeah man. When I saw the GB sprites for the first time I thought 'Wow, these are really well made! Too bad the Gameboy hardware can't really handle them'. That's part of the reason I wanted to use them for this project. They deserve to be on a platform that can do them justice :D

I've posted another video. The previous ones were recorded on my laptop, which is too feeble to do video recording at good framerates. This one reflects how the game actually runs a bit better. And it's got a CRT shader too:

Wow, I'm in love with the sprites, the phasing of gameplay and the design of the original characters!
This is gold. I'm absolutley interested! Continue this amazement my friend.

Unrelated note: Deilig å se noen med samme flagget for en gang skyld, svært sjeldent.

Takker og bukker ;) Thanks so much for the kind words, they mean a lot :D
#10  February 09, 2020, 05:04:20 am
    • Norway
Has anyone on here tried to approach Capcom about doing a fangame before? I have an alpha version ready to release, but I think I should probably contact them first to avoid getting into any legal trouble.
#11  February 09, 2020, 06:58:01 am
    • Brazil
Has anyone on here tried to approach Capcom about doing a fangame before? I have an alpha version ready to release, but I think I should probably contact them first to avoid getting into any legal trouble.
As long as you don't try to sell it i think it's fine.
#12  February 09, 2020, 05:46:11 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
Oh boy! I would love to play the demo.  :joyful
#13  February 09, 2020, 08:20:07 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
As long as you don't try to sell it i think it's fine.
Capcom usually writes off fangames as fanart, with strict rules on monetization. The last time they stepped in on a fan game was the RE2 remake in 2015 (as well as that record company that was selling a remixed RE2 album). You should be fine.
#14  February 09, 2020, 11:23:13 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
Has anyone on here tried to approach Capcom about doing a fangame before?
Well, there was that Street Fighter X Mega Man game that started out as a fangame and was the fully supported by Capcom.
#15  February 10, 2020, 01:51:48 am
    • Norway
Thanks guys :D

Ok, in a hurry so this is gonna be a short description:

Here's alpha release 0.95 of SF2 Demake. It's a work in progress so stuff will be missing and there'll be some bugs, some I know about, others I probably don't.

SF2Demake uses a 2-button setup: CTRL for punch and ALT for kick. To do light, medium, and heavy attacks you need to hold a directional button/key: Back for heavy(fierce), forward for medium(strong) and no direction for light(jab).
You can also use a gamepad (untested). In versus mode the gamepad will control player 2. I'll add customizable controls in the future.

* What's missing?
Some moves here and there will be missing. Characters don't have jab/strong/fierce versions of specials. Whenever you perform a special, it'll always be a fierce attack.
Backgrounds are unfinished.
Panzer is unfinished and not really playable. You can test him out in both normal and vs mode though, just be prepared to have him lock up whenever you try a move that hasn't been implemented yet.
Sagat and Balrog aren't in yet.
Other minor stuff.
More balancing.
Bugfixes.

I reckon I need another 2-3 months to finish and polish it all up.

Okay, that's all I can remember right now. I'll update this post when I have more time. In the meantime, enjoy :D All feedback welcome!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gpyHJgCxKS1Dbq3w3UR0XMTaylqvVUkN/view?usp=sharing
#16  February 18, 2020, 08:58:43 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
I Just tested out and it is pretty fun to play, I'm aware this project is in a beta phase but, I find a little bit hard to pull the HP/HK when I try to perform a combo, is it possible to make the characters a 6 button layout? (3 punches/3 kicks) also, it's a nice touch adding the crt scanlines, over all a good game.
#17  February 22, 2020, 06:37:19 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
#18  February 27, 2020, 01:56:47 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Once you select a filter, you can NOT turn them off. Or at least I don't know how to. Pressing left/right on the filter doesn't have an of setting.

Also would be nice to have option for different screen sizes.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#19  February 29, 2020, 03:10:34 am
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
What a lovely proyect! Looks awesome.
After a moment of seeing and playing it I wondered why you didn't dare to add a new fighter from Norway?

Thanks for the good work.
#20  February 29, 2020, 07:42:58 am
    • Norway
Thanks for the feedback and kind words everybody :))

I Just tested out and it is pretty fun to play, I'm aware this project is in a beta phase but, I find a little bit hard to pull the HP/HK when I try to perform a combo, is it possible to make the characters a 6 button layout? (3 punches/3 kicks) also, it's a nice touch adding the crt scanlines, over all a good game.
I just added six-button controls for keyboard (A-S-D, Z-X-D for P1 and R-T-Y, F-G-H for P2) and gamepad. Check out the new release in the post below :)

Thought you mind find this interesting (obviously useless, but at least related):

https://twitter.com/2bitCrook/status/659088378181365761

Coool, I could definitely use these as a base. I might try and reach out to him in the future about it.

Once you select a filter, you can NOT turn them off. Or at least I don't know how to. Pressing left/right on the filter doesn't have an of setting.

Also would be nice to have option for different screen sizes.
The CRT toggle has been fixed in the new release. I might add different screen sizes in future.

What a lovely proyect! Looks awesome.
After a moment of seeing and playing it I wondered why you didn't dare to add a new fighter from Norway?

Thanks for the good work.
Thanks, happy you like it! :)

Oooh, I'm very tempted to put a black-metal dude from Norway in there. I have a good mental image of what he'd look like and what his moveset would be already :D I have a pretty big life-event coming up in a couple of months though, my kid gets born around then, so right now I'm just scrambling to finish up what I already got. Any new stuff depends on how much time and energy I'll have to work on this in the future.