YesNoOk

Putting dragon installs into charactesr idea thread (Read 3108 times)

Started by zero.exe, May 31, 2022, 01:59:51 am
Putting dragon installs into charactesr idea thread
#1  May 31, 2022, 01:59:51 am
  • Daigo parrying hoes since i was born.
    • Puerto Rico
Essentially this is a follow up in my first post that clarify my intentions and was made after thinking quite a bit on how to actually balance out characters.

Well dragon installs, there moves that cost bar and essentially give new properties to existing moves, adds new moves to a character, boost damage output, etc... Their most commonly used by ARCSYS games such as Guilty Gear and DBZF. But other developers also use similar design philosophy, albeit more generalized for every character in the roster instead of a select few like in ARCSYS games, enter Capcoms V trigger.  My feeling on SFV are mixed i personally liked SF4 more but that is only my opinion and i do have to admit the V-Trigger system is very cool and adds more variety to each character as well as diversifying each mach up and making your play style "unique" since it divides itself into 2 V-Triggers with different functions and ability's and 2 V skills which adds utility and damage as well as a general character function as V-Reversal that lets you safely dodge away from a move and/or counter it (similar to zero counter), but it does run a risk of being blocked or punished which opens up more mind games. Now this all functions with a gauge separated from the standard super meter in modern Capcom games, the V-gauge as most players call it usually is composed of 2-3 containers which vary's depending on which Trigger you chose before the start of the game. Now, the V-trigger, V-reversal, and V-Skills all run on this meter making meter management kind of a hastle as you constantly have to be thinking of if you should spend your resources or save them for a later round as well as limiting your explosiveness to when you have your V-Gauge full and essentially forces the player to play a certain style in order to succeed. They also lowered the difficulty of combos and subsequently their reward in terms of damage as the max damage in a professional match  is around 401-532, around half the health bar, which is not bad but again it requires you to meet to many conditions to perform and i think you should be rewarded for learning combos and dedication to neutral game play and how to open up people. They also removed invulnerability from DPS, except their EX variants which in the way the meta was shifting was not a bad decision but if to make the game balanced you need to take away a key aspect of what makes a move then you made a mistake already (this is not taking any credit from anyone who works at capcom they all produced a great game at the end of the day and that should be applauded.) This was all done in order so that even bad players could be at least decent at a game which while in it off itself is not a bad thing, imo it hurt the pro scene which is one of the better aspects of a fighting game.

This is where MUGEN comes in, since im not a developer nor am i good enough at fighting games to present this idea to Capcom, and so on, I decided to just present it here. Now my first post was a character idea on Violent ken and my design philosophy on how i wanted him to be, and while i was thinking to myself on balancing, it ended up seeming that i could solve my mayor issues with SFV by simply doing this
1. Giving invincibility to the characters with DPS
2. Giving a dragon install instead of a V trigger
3. Giving tools to characters without a DP to deal with DPS and other tools that make them stronger such as mixup or damege.

Heres why i think this would work, if we look at ARCSYS games im going to mainly call out Ky from GG and Gohan (adult) as well as Vegito from DBFZ to make my point. Firstly Gohan and Ky both have meter less inv. DPS as well as a dragon install move, These character are decent and in the hands of pros deadly, Gohan has good options and consistent damage as well as good oki and his dragon install only serves to offer him more damage as well as making his mix up and kill potential actually insane making a lot of pros side or even main him, his meterless DP does not have frame 1 inv.but it does on the 2 and 3 frame making it more than zero, and the reason its not frame 1 is understandeble because DBFZ is so fast and volatile that if it was frame 1 it would greatly detriment the balance as well as the fact that in DBFZ meter is much more plentiful wich makes it doing metered for that frame 1 inv. not as much of a hastle. In Ky's case his DP is a call out tool to keep the opponent guessing and making sure he is respecting turns as well as opening up punishes for the opponent if the player makes a careless DP. His dragon install is not something to drive home about but it is the so that's something to keep in mind. Now for Vegito, Vegito is an S tier pick and a very common character to see in online and offline play of DBFZ, he has solid combos with a lot of high damage potential, long reaching normal's and ways to deal with the opponents assist, as well as one of the best pressures in the game pretty much only second to Gogeta SSJ4. Now while many may find Vegito annoying his design philosophy is certainly interesting and one that Capcom should follow for its DPless characters. Vegito has ways to deal with the opponents as well as being able to optimally punish careless DPS with high damage but he does not have a DP, now this is where it gets good, why need a DP if your never the one defense, see Vegito does not need a DP since he is constantly on top of neutral and is constantly pressuring the opponent, he dosent need a DP since he is not defending most of the time, while he does have a counter its not good enough to be used practically and is more of a meme than anything.

So finally we get to talk about MUGEN

Essentially im brainstorming and looking to civically discuss everyone opinion on this and see if we can get an actual idea and build characters fallowing this design philosophy that are balanced and rewarding for players that put their time. If anyone is interested in sharing their ideas and building a character let me know since ive already stated mine and still have a few under my sleve.
Need a Hand? just contact me. Except for coding i suck.