YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17344246 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#1  April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
With the most recent release, thought this could use a discussion thread to itself.  For those new to it, Death Battle is a video series by Screwattack where two characters from separate sources with similar themes and who would not normally meet are placed in a death match, with research done on both contestants to decide who'll be the winner.  Also by the same animators is One Minute Melee, a similar series of matches between similar characters, but minus the research.

A playlist of all the previous episodes of Death Battle can be found here.  One Minute Melee's can be found here.

Their most recent release was Blake versus Mikasa.

Feel free to discuss current and upcoming matches, match requests and reasons why Majin Buu vs Kirby is completely ridiculous.
Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:15:26 pm by Long John Killer
Re: Death Battle
#2  April 09, 2015, 04:01:09 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I feel like Guts vs. Nightmare was a really nice return to form. Something about some of their other recent battles (cough Samus vs Boba Fett remaster) seems kinda off, but this one felt a lot more natural and well-done to me. Maybe it was the lack of wonky 3D models.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#3  April 09, 2015, 04:04:14 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Not surprised they went with Oggy's sprites but CVS Artist's Nightmare too is new.  BTW Seanaltly's Scorpion sprites were used for their Ryu vs Scorpion fight.  Awesome.
#4  April 09, 2015, 04:05:49 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
In a way, Death Battle has been quite an educational thing for me. I've never heard of Guts before this match... I now know that he has to be one of the most, if not the most, scariest son of a bitch in anime/manga history. Seriously! What this guy went through is beyond insane.. It makes you want to give him a big old bro hug, you know.

I do like the idea of Iron Man vs. Lex Luthor. That ought to be a fun one.
#5  April 09, 2015, 04:09:26 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/

Shit
#6  April 09, 2015, 04:14:23 am
It'll be awesome if @Shockdingo reprises his role as Lex Luthor if Death Battle uses the custom sprites from Mugen.

In a way, Death Battle has been quite an educational thing for me. I've never heard of Guts before this match... I now know that he has to be one of the most, if not the most, scariest son of a bitch in anime/manga history. Seriously! What this guy went through is beyond insane.. It makes you want to give him a big old bro hug, you know.
On a side note, he's also popular in Japanese Mugen where he has a fan-made manga where he and Vergil from Devil May Cry go in their wacky Mugen adventures.
Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:20:21 am by Kirishima
#7  April 09, 2015, 04:16:48 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Heck yeah! Now this is Vintage Death Battle! The 3d really left a sad taste in my mouth but I am so glad they went back to school.
#8  April 09, 2015, 04:20:29 am
    • USA
Personally my favorite in execution thus far as been Ryu v.s. Scorpion (Except how they end the match.  Not the victor, just how lackluster it ended) and in concept Master Chief v.s. DoomGuy.  While probably not very likely, I hope they revisit their older matches at some point, to incorporate new info and skills at the most or remaster at the least.

Down the road, of course.  Got plenty new ideas as is, Iron Man v.s. Lex Luthor next, likely to stop him from stealing cakes of course, and I believe Galactus v.s. Unicron was one they had planned down the line as well.

As per 3D matches, RoboCop v.s. Terminator is actually my second favorite of their matches done thus far, but being who the contestants are is half the reason to that as well.
#9  April 09, 2015, 04:28:05 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
On a side note, he's also popular in Japanese Mugen where he has a fan-made manga where he and Vergil from Devil May Cry go in their wacky Mugen adventures.
...you're shittin' me.
#10  April 09, 2015, 04:30:16 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
If anyone needs a redo, it should be Mario vs. Sonic. Mario used Smash Flash 2 sprites, which isn't that many attacks to go on, compared to Sonic's Sonic Battle sprites, which has hundreds, if not thousands of edits... Plus, Mario doesn't get tired...
#11  April 09, 2015, 04:31:06 am
Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:35:42 am by Kirishima
#12  April 09, 2015, 05:20:35 am
    • USA
Unfortunately they've yet to do anything Devil May Cry in Death Battle, but Screwattack did use his Dante in their other show One Minute Melee, for what that's worth.

#13  April 09, 2015, 05:23:37 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Well, that is something worth looking into in the future for them. I think that there is someone out there that would be good for Dante to face in Death Battle.

BTW, One Minute Melee can be fun as well. It's basically just 'let them fight' and see which side gets pissed off first because their character lost.
#14  April 09, 2015, 05:24:03 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
This the only Death Battle video I actually enjoyed.

That was so awesome. I enjoyed that battle a lot.

I guess if we're talking about our fav. Death Battle segments, then mine are:
- Master Chief v. Doomguy
- Thor v. Raiden
-  Samus Aran v. Boba Fett (remastered)
-  Link v. Cloud Strife

Can't wait for the Guts and Nightmare battle. Bound to be exciting :)

Unfortunately they've yet to do anything Devil May Cry in Death Battle, but Screwattack did use his Dante in their other show One Minute Melee, for what that's worth.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px7meNVRbzU[/youtube]

Yeah that melee was great. I actually prefer it over Death Battle, peobably because their's no Boomstick and Wizard.... :innocent:
This is a generic forum signature.
#15  April 09, 2015, 05:30:13 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
I just noticed it's taking them too long to have a DB involving Vergil with Bugya' sprites.
Vergil vs. ...who, though?

Speaking of OMM, I like 'em but I felt cheated out of my favorite one. lol
Sakuya vs. DIO was some hype shit.
#16  April 09, 2015, 06:35:31 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I prefer watching their 1 minute melee like that Terry Bogard vs Burai

By the way, do mugen sprite artist get paid for borrowing their artwork?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#17  April 09, 2015, 01:54:19 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I prefer watching their 1 minute melee like that Terry Bogard vs Burai

By the way, do mugen sprite artist get paid for borrowing their artwork?

From what I saw (discussion with one of the animators hired for the Ragna vs Sol DB) no, all they do is pay a sprite animator to put the animation together.  Where the actual sprites come from doesn't matter, so no payment or credit is given to the spriters themselves.

If you have information that contradicts this please post it so I don't accidentally slander someone.
#18  April 09, 2015, 03:28:20 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
They do actually give credit to sprite creators in the credits of the video an example would be the scorpion and ryu battle where they used sean altly's scorpion sprites
#19  April 09, 2015, 04:53:15 pm
really liked their one minute melee by far my favourite is dio brando vs. sakuya izayoi.

since we're talking about death battles this guy just started a series just like screwattack's except it's live action. lol dragonborn's last words.
Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:56:24 pm by 地獄の花
#20  April 09, 2015, 04:59:22 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
They do actually give credit to sprite creators in the credits of the video an example would be the scorpion and ryu battle where they used sean altly's scorpion sprites

I remember them crediting chuchoryu for his Juri Han sprites in the Kim Kaphwan v. Juri Han melee.

really liked their one minute melee by far my favourite is dio brando vs. sakuya izayoi.

since we're talking about death battles this guy just started a series just like screwattack's except it's live action. lol dragonborn's last words.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlhXKjSy6M[/youtube]

The Sakuya Izayoi v. Dio Brando melee is my all time fav, right next to Terry v. Burai, Kim v. Juri, and Capt. Commando v. Capt. Falcon.

Also this live action DB idea should be interesting.
This is a generic forum signature.