Started by KingPepe2010, June 04, 2014, 06:17:46 pm
Share this topic:
Character: Dig Dug
#1  June 04, 2014, 06:17:46 pm
  • too obsessed with NES stuff
    • USA
Dig Dug

Representative of: Namco
First Game: Dig Dug (port released in 1985)
Progress: 100%
Playstyle: Grappler with both close-range and long-range grabs.

What's left?:
-Nothing

Strengths:
-Has ways of easily closing the distance whether it's getting close to the opponent or bringing the opponent over.
-Hook Toss gives him a long-range option while also bypassing projectiles.
-Strong damage output considering both his grabs and combos.
-Far reaching pokes that do quite a bit of damage.

Weaknesses:
-Needs to either drop his charge or use meter to bypass projectiles reliably.
-Only reversal requires meter
-Only his standing punches can chain together, his other basic attacks can't.
-Close command grab isn't reliable due to the startup.

Moveset:

Basics
  • Rocky Fist (Forward + Punch) - A slow overhead punch that deals two hits. It's possible to link into other basic attacks
    afterwards.
  • Heavy Hammer (Forward or Backward + Punch) - Dig Dug does a double-handed swing. It functions as a hard jump-in on grounded opponents but as an air-to-air, it can cause the opponent to bounce off the ground and allow for juggles.
  • Toss Up (Back + Punch + Kick) - A blockable grab that upon grabbing, Dig Dug will throw the opponent straight up into the air.
    The opponent can be juggled after this.
  • Step Kick (Back + Kick) - Dig Dug takes a step forward and performs a kick. Not a particularly fast move but it can help Dig
    Dug inch forward towards the opponent.

Specials
  • Hook Toss (F, D, DF, Punch or Kick; can be done in the air) -
    (Ground) Dig Dug grabs his hook and begins swinging it. Once you let go of the button, Dig Dug will throw the hook forwards. If it hits, Dig Dug will drag the opponent in and slam them into the ground. The hook itself is not considered a projectile and will travel past any projectiles and helpers. The Punch version starts up faster but has less range and leaves the opponent farther away. The Kick/Strong version leaves the opponent closer and reaches farther but starts up slower. Pressing the opposite button while swinging will cause Dig Dug to withdraw the hook.
    (Air) Dig Dug tosses the hook at a 45 degree angle. Upon catching the opponent, Dig Dug grabs the opponent and drops them into the ground. Dig Dug remains completely still in the air while performing it.
  • Earth Smasher (F, DF, D, DB, B, Punch or Kick) - A 5-frame command grab where Dig Dug grabs the opponent, slams them into the ground and punts them away. The Punch version has more range and keeps the opponent in front of Dig Dug but does less damage. The Kick version does more damage and has Dig Dug slamming the opponent behind him but has less range.
  • Drill-In (Hold B, F, Punch or Kick) - Dig Dug slides forward with his drill. Holding the button you pressed for the command will cause Dig Dug to thrust the drill forwards. A weak attack that's decent for closing the distance and it's the only special that Dig Dug can super cancel out of. The Punch version is faster but covers less distance and does less damage.
  • Rock Drop (Hold D, U, Punch or Kick) - Dig Dug leaps up, takes out a rock and drops down while swinging the rock. Both rising and falling parts can hit the opponent. This can serve as an anti-air albeit the rising part has poor priority and no invincibility. The Kick/Strong version has Dig Dug travel farther and do more damage.

EX Specials
  • EX Hook Slam (F, D, DF, Punch+Kick; can be done in the air) -
    (Ground) Comes out way faster and deals much more damage, with Dig Dug slamming the opponent twice. The move can be delayed like the standard version but you're unable to cancel it.
    (Air) Starts up way faster and does more damage with Dig Dug throwing the opponent straight into the ground.
  • EX Earth Smasher (F, DF, D, DB, B, Punch+Kick) - Starts up much faster with the range of the Light Punch version. Dig Dug will jump forward with the grabbed opponent and proceed to slam them into the ground.
  • EX Drill-In (Hold B, F, Punch+Kick) - Starts up faster, gains projectile invincibility unti lthe attack comes out and Dig Dug attacks
    the opponent without requiring a button hold.
  • EX Rock Fall (Hold D, U, Punch+Kick) - Dig Dug gains some invincibility as he rises up. This is Dig Dug's only fully invincible special and it can
    be used as a reversal.

Super Attacks
  • Earthquake (Level 1) (360, Punch) - Typical super grab. Dig Dug will grab the opponent, jump straight into the air, throw them down and then proceed to stomp them.
  • Super Driller (Level 1) (D, DB, B, D, DB, B, Kick) - Dig Dug performs a Drill-In and on a successful hit, he'll walk forward while drilling and then
    launch the opponent. On its own, the attack is weak but the launch allows Dig Dug to perform any followups.
  • Jackhammer Dive (Level 1) (D, DF, F, D, DF, F, Attack) - Dig Dug will leap forwards and upon grabbing, he'll throw the opponent down, take
    out the jackhammer and hammer away. Anti-air grab with some invincibility. The button you press determines the angle Dig Dug travels at.
  • Pump and Blow (Level 3) (Hold B, F, B, F, Punch + Kick) - Dig Dug throws the hook toss forward and upon a successful hit, he inflates the opponent until they pop.

Helpers:
Fygar (4 hits):
  • Standing - Fygar burps out a flame that only does one hit and launches the opponent. (1 helper bar)
  • Crouching - Fygar flies in "invisible" and tries to home in on the opponent. Once he's finally above, he becomes invincible and falls down onto the opponent. (1 helper bar)

Mappy (2 hits):
  • Standing - Mappy makes a door appear and opens it. This sends a wave at the opponent and if they get caught, the wave carries them to the wall. (2 helper bars)
  • Crouching - Mappy places down a trampoline onto the ground. If the opponent makes contact with it, it launches them up. (2 helper bars)

Pac-Man (3 hits):
  • Standing - Pac-Man runs forward and proceeds to chomp any opponent that's in the way. (1 helper bar)
  • Crouching - Pac-Man tosses out a power pellet which renders Dig Dug invincible for a while. (3 helper bars)

Palettes:

1 - Default
2 - Galaga
3 - Warpman
4 - Mappy
5 - Tower of Babel
6 - Battle City

Extra:
*SQUISH* - Rock Drop and Earthquake will cause the opponent to be flattened on death.

POP - If the opponent is within KO range during Pump and Blow, they'll explode upon death.

Silly old Sky Kid! - If Mappy is on-screen when the opponent is defeated, Sky Kid will arrive late to the match and shrug.

Theme:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/564343

Discussion thread for Dig Dug. You can post whatever comes to mind about him here.

Video:
Dig Dug's trailer:
might as well put this forum about bootleg games here
BGC Forums
Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:28:07 pm by KingPepe2010
Re: Character: Dig Dug
#2  August 17, 2014, 04:05:06 am
  • 北斗百裂拳!
    • USA
Um... The third helper should be PAC-MAN. :|

Here are the attacks he can use(Yes, it will use NES Pac-Land Sprites or maybe the Pac-Land Arcade sprites with the NES Palette)

Standing - PAC-MAN will take out a bonus fruit and throw it at the opponent. The longer you hold the assist button the more powerful the fruit will be.(Yes, it goes in level order) [Cherry,Strawberry,Orange,etc.]

Crouching - PAC-MAN will place a hydrant in the middle of the stage and will fire water shots at the opponent. After 2 or 3 shots the hydrant will go away.
I don't know what you are talking about..

I'm not a furry at all. (´・ω・)
Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:16:04 am by supersonicmix
#3  March 22, 2015, 09:47:03 pm
    • Brazil
    • Skype - Antonio Quirino
Um... The third helper should be that tank from Battle City.

Here are the attacks he can use.

Standing - Tank use the grenade power-up and explode the opponent.

Crouching - Tank Shoot some bullets and the tank enemies appear and shoot ether.
#4  March 22, 2015, 10:15:27 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
3rd helper could be Miru from Pac and Pal. Like what was planned with that one other Dig Dug for Mugen. Also, isn't his name Taizo Hori?
#5  March 27, 2015, 02:11:37 am
    • USA
@supersonicmix: ...maybe Pac-Man but I'd rather have him have different attacks from his SSB4 self. I'll think about it.

@AntonioQuirino: That could be a possibility but I usually like to keep the sprites to how big they should actually be and uh, the tank would be rather huge compared to Dig Dug and might make him a really easy to hit. (Doesn't help when almost all helpers only have 3 hit points)

@マリオ·ピザ: Miru was arcade-only iirc. And yeah, Taizo Hori would be his real name but considering the fact this name way after his NES port, I'm keeping his name to "Dig Dug".
BGC Forums
#6  March 27, 2015, 03:40:10 pm
  • 北斗百裂拳!
    • USA
You want moves away from Pac-Man's SSB4 self? Okay :D

Standing - Pac-Man will take out a bonus fruit and throw it at his ally, healing a random amount of health(Depends on the bonus fruit). If it hits the opponent it will act as a attack but it doesn't do that much damage. (500 Power) (15 Second Cooldown)
Crouching - Pac-Man will take out a power pellet and throw it at his ally making him invincible for 5 Seconds. (1000 Power) (30 Second Cooldown)

What do you think?

#7  April 01, 2015, 07:19:01 pm
    • Brazil
#8  April 06, 2015, 04:18:12 pm
    • USA
 ...I think I might actually consider that now to be honest. That ain't bad. (also I should fool around with cool down times for helpers too)

...not sure what you mean by that.
BGC Forums
#9  April 08, 2015, 09:20:31 pm
    • Brazil
How many characters you will put in the famicom fighters?
#10  April 08, 2015, 11:42:43 pm
  • 北斗百裂拳!
    • USA
He might put in a maximum of 12 or 11. It depends on him

#11  May 14, 2015, 11:52:05 pm
  • Been toying with MUGEN since 2014
    • USA
This guy is still being made, right?
If there are any problems, let me know. I will try to fix them as soon as possible.
#12  May 15, 2015, 07:47:04 pm
  • 北斗百裂拳!
    • USA

#13  May 17, 2015, 06:36:29 am
    • USA
    • jangofetttt1997@yahoo.com
I can dig it...
#14  February 15, 2016, 02:27:57 pm
  • A foosball to the face!
    • USA
    • fretterg@gmail.com
Apologies for the necro-bump, but I had an idea for a 3rd helper: Galagan Commander (From "Galaga")

Stand: The commander appears off-screen and moves across the top of the screen in the direction Dig Dug is facing. It moves left/right just below the lifebars, only making 2 separate shots. At that giving time it starts firing: 1st shot angles towards a specific location that is the median between Dig Dug and his opponent; the 2nd shot angles towards the enemy's head. 1st shot deals more damage than the 2nd shot but the 2nd shot deals more chip damage than the 1st one. Mainly used for pressuring your opponent. (Costs 0.5 Meters; Cool-Down of 8 sec.)

Crouching: The commander appears off-screen and moves across at a lower altitude than the standing version. Once the commander is at a certain distance with its target, it shoots a tractor beam in front of it. The beam stays out for only 0.5 seconds, or until it gets blocked. If it successfully hits the opponent, the opponent is remained stuck inside the tractor beam for 1 second, or until they get hit out of it. This is mainly used for extending combos, and catching your opponent off guard. (Costs 0.5 Meters; Cool-Down of 12 sec.)

This is an interesting helper to have in Dig Dug's arsenal, cause of how viable it is. Even though it's good to pressure your opponent, it doesn't do much/any, damage/chip, and has a somewhat long cool-down(s), mainly because of how useful this helper is.
Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:34:27 pm by sluigi123
#15  February 16, 2016, 12:39:46 am
    • USA
...honestly I like the idea of that. I'll take it into consideration.
BGC Forums
#16  March 12, 2016, 11:57:44 pm
    • Brazil
The Galaga commander is a good idea(never seen him)i have a idea too, the super star force pilot.

Standing: The pilot appear and shoots several bullets at the opponent

Crouching: The Pilot could use the Solar Lamp to Stuns the enemy for 4 seconds
#17  March 13, 2016, 01:20:14 pm
  • A foosball to the face!
    • USA
    • fretterg@gmail.com
The Galaga commander is a good idea(never seen him)i have a idea too, the super star force pilot.

Standing: The pilot appear and shoots several bullets at the opponent

Crouching: The Pilot could use the Solar Lamp to Stuns the enemy for 4 seconds
It's these critters. I like the idea of the super star force pilot, too.
#18  March 13, 2016, 10:48:11 pm
    • Brazil
It's these critters. I like the idea of the super star force pilot, too.

Thanks for that buddy and if that helper don't work i have another idea, the genesis ship from Field Combat

Standing: Genesis appears at the enemie and shoot a plasma bullet

Crouching: Genesis Spawn a Helicopter (louis) and he fires a missile
Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:49:49 am by AntonioQuirino
#19  September 20, 2016, 07:15:27 pm
    • USA
Oh hey, some screenshots of Dig Dug in action!:

BGC Forums
#20  September 21, 2016, 12:19:26 am
    • Brazil
cool screenshots (it is just me or the second pallete just look like robot pallete from L.Runner?) btw u didn't choosed the third helper yet?
if u didn't here's a suggestion:

Mikey From Goonies 2

Standing: mikey throws a molotov cocktail into a short distance ahead of him, and it will crash onto the ground with a burst of flame.

Crouching: mikey catches his slingshot and fires a shot at the enemy.

and i was thinking when u make the story mode, u put cutscenes ninja gaiden style.