YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 745399 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#861  October 25, 2018, 10:59:52 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
#862  October 25, 2018, 04:12:59 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Yeah, really.  Out of the alleged newcomers, all but two of them have had game releases more recently than K. Rool.

Besides, current relevance went out the window back when Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch got into Melee.
#863  October 25, 2018, 04:22:09 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
More like when Ness or Luigi got in Smash 64.

And Jigglypuff.
#864  October 25, 2018, 04:49:16 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
That's not really comparable. Out of those 3 the only literal who on the same level as Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers might be Ness. And even then Mother 2 wasn't that old when Smash 64 came around.

Luigi's only remote claim to irrelevance at that point was not being playable in SM64. Jigglypuff, while not the most popular pokemon by any stretch, was still part of the OG 151 back when Pokemon was at it all time high. Jigglypuff might've been a legit popular pick if the tv show was at the point where Jigglypuff was a recurring character.
Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:52:36 pm by Foobs
#865  October 25, 2018, 09:28:31 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Jigglypuff was legit a joke/easy to make within the limitations. Had very little to do with it's role in the anime at the time. Otherwise, Mewoth would be in for sure aside from that weird cutout.
#866  October 26, 2018, 12:41:43 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I would take Meowth better over Jigglypuff tbh.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#867  October 26, 2018, 01:22:20 am
    • USA
Jiggs was chosen because back in the N64 era it took literally almost no effort at all to re-texture Kirby and tweak a few animations to make a new character.  Plus IIRC, back before Pikachu blew up the way that it did Jigglypuff was on the short list of original 'mons that Nintendo was considering pushing as the franchise mascot.  Her and Clefairy, I think.
#868  October 26, 2018, 01:52:46 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
I've always pictured the real reason for Jiggs' inclusion was to appeal to the female demographic as it was very popular with them at its time.  That and it was easy to tweak Kirby.

Her and Clefairy, I think.
Nah, just Clefairy until the anime wanted Pikachu.
#869  October 26, 2018, 03:04:49 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Jiggly was our only Gen 1 female rep... until we got female alts of Pikachu including Pika-Libre. I think Pika-Libre would be my ultimate Pika alt of choice.  A shame she may not have her Flying Press.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#870  October 26, 2018, 03:19:22 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
time for another blog:

Today's Item
Nikki Assist Trophy
The host of Swapnote on the Nintendo 3DS system joins the battle. Her drawings all look very cute—but they still do serious damage, so be careful!

#871  October 26, 2018, 03:24:47 am
    • USA
I do think it's really cool that Nikki and Arcade Bunny made it in as assists.  They're a lot like ROB, in that they're Nintendo characters even though they're not technically from a video game.  It helps the idea of Smash Bros. as a celebration of all things Nintendo.
#872  October 26, 2018, 03:45:04 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I still wish Nintendo's toys before video games got anything at all aside from WarioWare microgames.
#873  October 26, 2018, 04:15:48 am
    • Brazil
Jiggly was our only Gen 1 female rep... until we got female alts of Pikachu including Pika-Libre. I think Pika-Libre would be my ultimate Pika alt of choice.  A shame she may not have her Flying Press.
Such a shame, I would have preferred Clefairy. I heard she was originally planned to be the main mascot of Pokémon instead of Pikachu, and I think she is much cuter and more powerful than Jigglypuff.
#874  October 26, 2018, 04:17:57 am
    • USA
So this happened.

Spoiler: New item leak from official trailer (click to see content)

#875  October 26, 2018, 07:07:20 am
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
That Wendy's promo video also shows a second or two of new gameplay of the Rainbow Cruise stage from Melee. Looks absolutely beautiful.
This video covers the interesting bits from the promo (using the spoiler tag just in case):

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#876  October 29, 2018, 12:54:26 am
    • USA
A couple of new developments on the Grinch leak, since the Smash community is going completely apeshit trying to either confirm or debunk it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I don't know.  I mean, it's still entirely possible that it's an incredibly elaborate fake, but there is a TON of circumstantial evidence that's stacking up in favor of it being legit.  Not to mention the herculean level of effort, time, and sheer dumb luck it would have taken him to fabricate all of these minute details so perfectly.  If it is a fake, I wouldn't even be mad.  This guy would be a legend.
#877  October 29, 2018, 01:50:59 am
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
Hmm... Some interesting developments for the infamous Grinch leak for sure.

Although I need to correct you on the Sakurai quote; It's not from an interview. Rather, it's from a column on the Japanese magazine Famitsu that he writes bi-weekly. Most of the time during the lead up to a new Smash game's release he writes about Smash, but sometimes (especially when there's no new Smash game on the horizon) he writes about other things as well.

Not every column has been translated, but you can check out the ones that have right here, if you're interested (Plus, they are a lot more accurate than NinEverything's translations): https://www.sourcegaming.info/tag/famitsu/
Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:39:01 pm by Cyborg Sun
#878  October 29, 2018, 04:04:46 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
here's today's blog focusing on a new samus that first appeared in super smash bros. brawl:

Today's Fighter
#29: Zero Suit Samus
Although not as powerful as Samus, her speed is exceptional! Her Paralyzer not only has the ability to stun opponents, but it can also turn into a whip. For her Final Smash, she dons her suit and fires a powerful laser!

unlike super smash bros 4 where she can shoot lasers with her ship
#879  October 29, 2018, 07:10:51 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Jesus Christ.  All this speculation and evidence hunting with the leaks and what not has been making me steadily lose my mind with hype and possibilities.
The leak's real!  Wait no, it's fake.  Wait, it's actually real!  I don't know anymore!
If Nintendo doesn't do another Smash Direct soon, I'm going to go insane.
#880  October 29, 2018, 06:37:14 pm
    • USA
It's in this weird holding pattern that most leaks never get to because they're usually disproven within minutes.  There hasn't been anything found with it yet that can objectively prove that it's false, but there's also nothing that can't be explained away as something else pointing towards it being true.

Looks like this leak is going to live or die on the next official announcement from Nintendo.  Which should be coming pretty soon; It's been more than a month since the last Direct and there's just barely more than a month left until the game is out.