YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat 1 (2023) (Read 315434 times)

Started by Macaulyn97, February 24, 2023, 12:22:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat 1 (2023)
#101  June 08, 2023, 11:20:48 pm
    • Brazil
So... it looks cool, but it doesn't look as new as they made it sound. Still, it's an interesting way to use assists, some people said it made the PS1 version of MvC1 unique and it's not bad. Let's see if the new story manages to not be a mess. Also, strange that Goro's assist has a new outfit, at first I thought that meant he was in the main roster, but even Sub-Zero and Scorpion's assists have different outfits.
#102  June 09, 2023, 02:37:40 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
So, if I'm getting this right this game takes place before the timeframe of MK1 and Mythologies, possibly way before. Kenshi isn't blind, Scorpion is alive, Kung Lao doesn't have his razor hat.
#103  June 09, 2023, 03:03:54 am
    • Brazil
I mean, it's not a retelling of any previous timeline's events, so they could just be different because of that. Scorpion and Sub-Zero are brothers, Mileena seems to be the next one in line to get the throne of somewhere and her Tarkatan thing is a disease instead of a result of her being a clone, which means she is probably Kitana's actual twin sister instead of an experiment.
#104  June 09, 2023, 05:00:20 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Think of it like this.

Mk1 Is basically a new universe of its own similar to how DC has New 52 and Rebirth.  This is a clean slate rather than a prequel to any existing continuity.  Only Liu Kang remembers the previous timeline.

Kameos are gonna be interesting if they are gonna have some role in the story but hopefully not and are just there for fanservice.

strange that Goro's assist has a new outfit
It could also mean the return of Boss Goro in the Arcade Ladder and his Kameo Appearance will be the only time you can use him.

Spoiler: Quick note on Kenshi (click to see content)
#105  June 09, 2023, 05:36:29 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
It'd be cool if they do it like KoF 2000 and have characters from other Midway franchises appearing as Kameo fighters as well.
#106  June 09, 2023, 01:59:29 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
It's actually refreshing to see this, new timeline, new events, makes the story a little more... unpredictable. Kinda liking it.
#107  June 10, 2023, 04:03:43 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
There's an article on Playstation Blog about the game. You can read it here: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/06/09/mortal-kombat-1-ps5-hands-on-report-and-ed-boon-qa/

For those who want the Cliff Notes version...

-Kameo Fighters can a lot in the game: Attack your foe in the air or on the ground, toss them around, used in combo breakers and can even do Fatalities. But, there is a meter that governs their actions. Kameos work best as an combo extender - think Tekken Tag 2.
-The Kameo System is the happy medium between two ideas - giving the characters a unique modifier and Tag Team Mode. The design team wanted to go with the modifier system, but Ed pushed back against it noting that it needed to be a system that everyone can use. Then comes the question of Tag Team mode. Ed says that the design team and the players love it, but it wasn't very popular. Enter the Kameo System as this happy medium between the two ideas.
-Expect 15-20 Kameo Fighters to start with on day one with many, many more down the line. Oh, and every retro character in franchise history is on the table here.
-In terms of the story here... well, the ending of MK11 is canon. Liu Kang is now in control of the flow of time and then something goes wrong. Expect your favorite characters - hero and villain alike - in all new situations. Speaking of villains, many of the well known baddies will be back, but Ed wasn't going to spill the beans on who the true big bad of this game was yet.
-The Krypt will be replaced with something else for unlocks.
-Ed really loves the new generation systems being crazy powerful and the super fast SSD is one of his favorite things. It allows complex backgrounds to appear in no time flat.
-In terms of Fatalities, there is a committee that weighs in on all the ideas pitched in by the staff there. Of course, Ed is the final word here. There have plenty of ideas rejected for crossing the line, but all in all, most ideas that do pass end up being good.
-With the game in the homestretch, Ed is eager to try and find some time to catch up of the games he's missed out on - like Street Fighter 6, God of War Ragnarok and Diablo IV.
#108  June 10, 2023, 04:50:32 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
-Oh, and every retro character in franchise history is on the table here.
MOTARO MAINS RISE UP

The Krypt will be replaced with something else for unlocks.
And yet that bastard goblin and its ilk will still find their way back
#109  June 10, 2023, 05:36:31 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
It's actually refreshing to see this, new timeline, new events, makes the story a little more... unpredictable. Kinda liking it.
Same here, I think what's seen until now I liked it a lot

I saw the recent trailer, and after going down from the hype train (but not too much), here're some impressions:
-The Kameo stuff reminds me a lot of KOF's strikers, especially KOF2000, where you have a lot of characters from SNK just for fanservice. As some of you said, I hope to see more chars, especially from PS2 games and maybe some others from MK lore (I go for Sareena and Havik by now)
-Happy to see Kenshi back, especially that scene with Johnny Cage, I missed that guy in the past trailer
-My first impression was that Lord Liu Kang travelled into time to get his chosen ones, but after a second look, it's all based on actual times
-What a twist that Mileena is the actual queen of Edenia instead of Kitana... and especially that her trademark teeth is because of a disease instead of being a tarkatan clone
-I thought the visual change will be bigger, but I saw it's like a mixture between X and 11 in the gameplay, with the PS2-like air combo system, interesting
-Loved the tag-teamed Fatal Blows and Fatalities, I can't wait to see more of that

And last but not least...
Spoiler: For LA players (spanish only) (click to see content)

OK, THIS is a real incentive to get a PS5, no doubt about it

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#110  June 11, 2023, 05:20:19 am
    • Brazil
Spoiler: Quick note on Kenshi (click to see content)
Remember that the leaked roster was specifically said to be partial.
#111  June 11, 2023, 11:29:24 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
A summary of Ed Boon recent interview : Credit to Scotia on ResetEra

Jeff Gerstman interview :
-They switched to a newer Unreal Engine before COVID happened, so that plus the task of switching engines plus doing Injustice 3 would have led to a 7 year gap between MK11 and MK1 which they felt was too long, so they skipped Injustice 3 in favour of doing MK1.
-Ed pretty much drops the hint that their plan is to take the 4 year break to work on the new engine, do MK1 and then return to Injustice.
-Moving to UE4 was 'a heavy lift' for them and it required them to think and act differently in order to wire UE4's tools into their fighting game engine.
-They knew the change to UE4 was 'inevitable' but when they finally made the call to do it, COVID hit.
-The marketing for MK1 is even more 'condensed' than MK11's was.
-They have game modes they haven't talked about yet and 'a slew of new characters just waiting to be leaked'.
In response to Jeff bringing up Nitara, Ed says that people are going to be surprised at how deep they're going into the last few games.
-Stryker is listed on the same level as Meat and Mokap. RIP Stryker bros.
-They're 'getting obscure' with the roster, especially in regards to Kameo fighters.
-Character choices are going to get 'way deeper' than the likes of Stryker.
-Ed agrees that Stryker didn't need to be playable 'in this game'.
-The story dictates who is main roster and who is a kameo, with the latter essentially being 'non-canon' to the story.
-Cassie and the other Kombat Kids are not born yet.
-There's a bunch of klassic kameo fatalities, including some obscure ones.
-Team-up fatalities were a thing at one point but they were scrapped because they began to feel too 'cookie-cutter' and 'Armageddon-like'.
-Realms play a big part of the setting/time frame of MK1 and allows them to use old and ancient setting as opposed to Earthrealms more contemporary time frame and setting.
-Outworld is no longer the dark and dingy place it was in the previous games, but is now 'pretty'.
-They're bending things (such as realms) to be 'familiar but different'.
-They are 'reintroducing moments' in the character's stories that help establish their new backgrounds and relationships.
-"There's a new novelty in the story now of seeing a character introduced that you've known for 30 years, but now [they're] in this new situation and here's [their] new origin."
-While they hadn't fleshed out everything, by Aftermath they knew that the time had come to reboot things and reintroduce the series.
-There'll be a tutorial 'of sorts' in the story that introduces you to the concept of kameos.
-Ed thinks Street Fighter 6's modern control type is a great thing that allows more people to play the game who couldn't do so before.
-Jeff alludes to Amazon Italy leaking Kombat Pack 1 and Ed replies with a sad and quiet 'yeah, yeah'.
-The new mode for MK1 is a brand new thing that Ed thinks will be very cool.
-No Motor Kombat , Chess Kombat or Puzzle Kombat.
-There's a feeling of 'lets get the basic stuff into the game and work out the new engine' before adding any big side modes like the ones mentioned above.

Brian Tong interview :
-Ed calls MK1 a resetting and the story a rebooting.
-Ed describes it as 'the same toys but in a completely different sandbox'.
-A lot of the origins and story moments will be really cool for old fans (who already know what happens) to experience them in new ways.
-The idea for Kameos originally came from the idea of doing another tag team mode but feeling that people weren't comfortable learning more than one character.
-The idea then became giving every character their own unique assist, such as Sonya having a drone (which basically soft-confirms her) and Kung Lao having something like a spinning hat. However, the issue with this idea became them struggling to find unique assists for certain characters like Liu Kang and Johnny Cage.
-Ed eventually come up with the idea of having an assist that could universally be used by everyone, with the idea of using other characters themselves as the assists coming up soon after.
-Their objective with the kameos is to make them as simple as possible.
-They always strive to shake things up between games and not just have the biggest change between entries be prettier graphics.
-Kameos are not part of the story.
-Kameos are intended to be the throwbacks to the MK that everyone knows and will have lots of klassic kostumes.
-There are lots of obscure kameo kharacters and even some that 'couldn't possibly be controlled characters' which is later clarified to be characters that were in previous games but were not playable.
-Ed says that the 3D era of the series will have 'lots of representation'.
-I swear at 8:48 in this interview Ed almost says 'Sonya' in regards to characters that are both playable and a kameo before stopping himself and saying Sub-Zero.
-There's a character 'coming-up' that they haven't announced yet that is using facial motion capture in the same way as Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa did for Shang Tsung in MK11 (so either Homelander, Peacemaker or possibly both).
-Ed accidentally lets slip something regarding a male character at the start of the interview which is bleeped out but towards the end they talk about it and Brian -Tong says it's 'a colour of the rainbow' (so probably related to an unrevealed male ninja).
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#112  June 11, 2023, 03:49:57 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
My feelings rn

#113  June 11, 2023, 07:43:21 pm
    • Brazil
-The marketing for MK1 is even more 'condensed' than MK11's was.
"Condensed" as in having very little marketing or condensed as having a lot of it during a short time period?

-They have game modes they haven't talked about yet and 'a slew of new characters just waiting to be leaked'.
I assume the reason for that is because the game mode is either gonna be shit, like the MK11 Krypt, or because their game modes are nowhere near as good as SF6's World Tour mode, so they're waiting for that hype to go down before revealing their mediocre alternate modes. I know that the fighting gameplay is the main thing, but that didn't stop Street Fighter 6, Soul Calibur 6 or even Mortal Kombat Armageddon from having good alternate modes.

In response to Jeff bringing up Nitara, Ed says that people are going to be surprised at how deep they're going into the last few games.
I mean, considering how Nitara was in the live action movie and the animated movie and the fact that a lot of people request her, it wouldn't surprise me to see her back. I am curious on how will any of the old game picks will surprise us, because nobody will care if someone shows up as a Kameo fighter, but some characters in the main playable roster could surprise people.

-Stryker is listed on the same level as Meat and Mokap. RIP Stryker bros.
-They're 'getting obscure' with the roster, especially in regards to Kameo fighters.
-Character choices are going to get 'way deeper' than the likes of Stryker.
-Ed agrees that Stryker didn't need to be playable 'in this game'.
In the same level as Meat and Mokap as in "irrelevant and impopular". But acknowledging these characters' existence through Kameos is nice. Also, Stryker didn't need to be playable in any game, if we consider how irrelevant he always was.

-The story dictates who is main roster and who is a kameo, with the latter essentially being 'non-canon' to the story.
-Cassie and the other Kombat Kids are not born yet.
These two parts go together well, because that means the Kombat Kids could show up, but as Kameo fighters, since they're not born yet for the story.

-There's a bunch of klassic kameo fatalities, including some obscure ones.
-Team-up fatalities were a thing at one point but they were scrapped because they began to feel too 'cookie-cutter' and 'Armageddon-like'.
I guess it's hard to make team fatalities actually work, unless you make some very specific ones for specific duos.

-Realms play a big part of the setting/time frame of MK1 and allows them to use old and ancient setting as opposed to Earthrealms more contemporary time frame and setting.
-Outworld is no longer the dark and dingy place it was in the previous games, but is now 'pretty'.
-They're bending things (such as realms) to be 'familiar but different'.
Means we're probably getting representation from multiple realms besides Outworld in the main roster. It's interesting to see how Outworld is pretty instead of dark and dingy. How do Shao Kahn and Onaga play into this? Are they even there? Is the place pretty because of Kitana and Mileena? One of the intros suggests "Countess" Jade exists, but where are Sindel and Edenia, then?

-They are 'reintroducing moments' in the character's stories that help establish their new backgrounds and relationships.
-"There's a new novelty in the story now of seeing a character introduced that you've known for 30 years, but now [they're] in this new situation and here's [their] new origin."
Naturally, I mean, if you're gonna change shit up you better be very clear about what you changed. I think the scene in which Raiden trains with Kenshi is an example of this.

-While they hadn't fleshed out everything, by Aftermath they knew that the time had come to reboot things and reintroduce the series.
In other words, "by Aftermath they knew the story was fucked and they had to restart everything if they wanted to turn their fanfics into canon without fucking up existing established characters ".

-There'll be a tutorial 'of sorts' in the story that introduces you to the concept of kameos.
-Ed thinks Street Fighter 6's modern control type is a great thing that allows more people to play the game who couldn't do so before.
Okay.

-Jeff alludes to Amazon Italy leaking Kombat Pack 1 and Ed replies with a sad and quiet 'yeah, yeah'.
"Yeah yeah, it's all true, but we can't just say it is."

-The new mode for MK1 is a brand new thing that Ed thinks will be very cool.
-No Motor Kombat , Chess Kombat or Puzzle Kombat.
-There's a feeling of 'lets get the basic stuff into the game and work out the new engine' before adding any big side modes like the ones mentioned above.
Brand new, huh? No mention of Konquest not returning, but I do wonder what new mode would they bring. Also, the priority being in the fighting itself is logical, but the way he talks about it makes it seem like there wasn't much investment in side modes, like SF6 had. SF6's World Tour was very important to the game, even though it was a side mode.

-Ed calls MK1 a resetting and the story a rebooting.
-Ed describes it as 'the same toys but in a completely different sandbox'.
-A lot of the origins and story moments will be really cool for old fans (who already know what happens) to experience them in new ways.
That is extremely debatable, considering that this "reintroduction" arguably happened in the NRS trilogy and we ended up with situations like Sindel. Even if this is a new timeline, these are still the characters we love, so deviating from their original forms is a huge risk.

-The idea for Kameos originally came from the idea of doing another tag team mode but feeling that people weren't comfortable learning more than one character.
-The idea then became giving every character their own unique assist, such as Sonya having a drone (which basically soft-confirms her) and Kung Lao having something like a spinning hat. However, the issue with this idea became them struggling to find unique assists for certain characters like Liu Kang and Johnny Cage.
-Ed eventually come up with the idea of having an assist that could universally be used by everyone, with the idea of using other characters themselves as the assists coming up soon after.
On one hand, I do prefer learning characters one by one, but having to learn multiple characters never stopped tag games like MvC or Dragon Ball FighterZ from being successful. Still cool to know the process that led to Kameos.

-Their objective with the kameos is to make them as simple as possible.
-They always strive to shake things up between games and not just have the biggest change between entries be prettier graphics.
Kameos aren't exactly a massive shakeup, though, wasnt that a mode in MK11? It's just an expansion of that.

-Kameos are not part of the story.
-Kameos are intended to be the throwbacks to the MK that everyone knows and will have lots of klassic kostumes.
-There are lots of obscure kameo kharacters and even some that 'couldn't possibly be controlled characters' which is later clarified to be characters that were in previous games but were not playable.
Overall it makes sense, also, he probably means the likes of Motaro, like, you can't really include him as a regular boss in current games like you could in MK3, UMK3 and MKT, unless you do what MKA did, which kills the character.

-Ed says that the 3D era of the series will have 'lots of representation'.
Took them long enough.

-I swear at 8:48 in this interview Ed almost says 'Sonya' in regards to characters that are both playable and a kameo before stopping himself and saying Sub-Zero.
Yeah, she isn't exactly a surprise inclusion, to be honest.

-There's a character 'coming-up' that they haven't announced yet that is using facial motion capture in the same way as Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa did for Shang Tsung in MK11 (so either Homelander, Peacemaker or possibly both).
We know both are in Kombat Pack 1, and with Van Damme playing Johnny Cage, it does make sense to bring the original actors of these two as well. Specially Peacemaker, whose inclusion isn't exactly the coolest thing ever IMO.

-Ed accidentally lets slip something regarding a male character at the start of the interview which is bleeped out but towards the end they talk about it and Brian -Tong says it's 'a colour of the rainbow' (so probably related to an unrevealed male ninja).
Spoiler: I mean, according to leaks... (click to see content)

Spoiler: On another note about the leaks... (click to see content)

#114  June 11, 2023, 08:14:23 pm
    • Brazil
#115  June 30, 2023, 05:10:28 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Time for Bios...

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#116  June 30, 2023, 11:38:15 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Liu-Kang really just went ahead and deleted the Tarkatan and the Shirai Ryu from existence lmao
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#117  July 03, 2023, 05:09:54 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Liu-Kang really just went ahead and deleted the Tarkatan and the Shirai Ryu from existence lmao
Not at all IMO
I like the new twists of the stories, and as I said before, now there's a good reason to get a PS5 or a Xbox Series finally

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#118  July 03, 2023, 09:09:41 pm
    • Brazil
If you ask me, that is quite problematic.
#119  July 06, 2023, 07:47:42 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
New trailer, Smoke and Rain confirmed. Cyrax, Sektor and Frost appearing as Kameo fighters.

If you ask me, that is quite problematic.

Some considerations regarding the original timeline:

Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:59:27 pm by Magma MK-II
#120  July 06, 2023, 08:25:34 pm
    • Brazil
Okay, Rain looks bad... ass. I LOVE him, he is my favourite MK character and I love mages, so having Rain reimagined with a mage theme is so amazing, I love it. Smoke... is Smoke, he is cool, but I don't have many thoughts about him. We know Bi-Han is Sub-Zero, but I keep wondering if Scorpion and Smoke are still the same guys...