YesNoOk

New Mortal Kombat movie koming via partnership of Warner units (Read 2642 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, September 29, 2011, 11:47:27 pm
Share this topic:
New Mortal Kombat movie koming via partnership of Warner units
#1  September 29, 2011, 11:47:27 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
"Mortal Kombat" is fighting its way back onto the big screen, marking a rare delivery of material from a studio's own video game division to its sibling film division.

Warner Bros.' New Line Cinema label is partnering with the Burbank studio’s video game unit Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to adapt for the big screen the tournament fighting series, which debuted on video game consoles in 1992. New Line is aiming to produce the new film next year and release it in 2013.

Like several other media companies, including Walt Disney Co., Warner has produced its own video games based on its film properties, such as June’s "Green Lantern."

"It's really important that we show we can bring our game properties to movies instead of just the other way around," said Warner home entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara.

In 2009, Warner Bros. acquired Mortal Kombat maker Midway Games out of bankruptcy for $49 million. In April Warner released the ninth Mortal Kombat game, which was one of the most successful in the series, selling more than 3 million copies.

Some of that success was credited by the studio to a promotional Web series it produced called "Mortal Kombat: Legacy." The nine-part series, made for about $2 million, was directed by Kevin Tancharoen. Previously known for directing Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s unsuccessful “Fame” remake, Tancharoen garnered new attention in 2010 by producing his own short film based on Mortal Kombat, which became a viral hit on YouTube and convinced Warner to let him produce the Web series.

Tancharoen has now been tapped to direct the feature film, which is being written by his partner Oren Uziel. New Line president Toby Emmerich said the idea to do the movie came entirely from the work the director did online.

"The new game and the online shorts prompted us to consider a reboot of a brand we hadn’t been actively thinking about," he said.

New Line produced two “Mortal Kombat” movies in 1995 and 1997 when it was an independent studio owned by Warner Bros. parent Time Warner and it licensed the rights from Midway. Though the first picture performed relatively well at the box office, grossing $122 million worldwide, they weren’t well received by fans and Emmerich granted that they “haven’t aged well.”

Tancharoen said his new movie, which is expected to be produced for well under $100 million, will offer a more realistic take on the Mortal Kombat characters, who are best known for over-the-top killing moves called "fatalities."

Because the Mortal Kombat games and movies are now being made under the same studio roof, the film’s release is expected to be coordinated with the next game. Emmerich and Tusjihara both said they hope the next Mortal Kombat game will come out when the movie hits theaters, or potentially in a single package along with the DVD and Blu-ray.

Development of a “Mortal Kombat” movie had been held up by litigation between Warner and producer Lawrence Kasanoff, who worked on the two 1990s movies. The studio prevailed in one lawsuit over royalties owed for the years 2000-2004, but cases are pending over royalties for 2008 and ownership of the movie rights.

While Tsujihara declined to comment on the litigation, people close to the movie but not authorized to discuss the matter publicly said they believed the two sides were close enough to a resolution to move ahead on the project. Kasanoff and his attorney did not return calls requesting comment.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/09/mortal-kombat-movie-coming-as-warner-video-game-and-new-line-units-partner.html
Source
Re: New Mortal Kombat movie koming via partnership of Warner units
#2  September 29, 2011, 11:52:54 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Had they already hinted at a new mk game comign out soon ?
#3  September 30, 2011, 02:10:38 am
  • Cthulhu fhtagn !

Gee, hope it'll be as great as the other MK movies.  ;P

MDD

#4  September 30, 2011, 02:54:47 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
Except the first MK movie was good so shut up.

SNT

Re: Mortal Kombat (2011) first post updated on 13.07.2011
#5  September 30, 2011, 02:57:45 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
So this'll be like the Legacy shorts but with an actual budget?  Sounds promising.

SNT

#6  September 30, 2011, 03:00:37 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Re: Re: Mortal Kombat (2011) first post updated on 13.07.2011
#7  September 30, 2011, 03:01:21 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
Give us Michael Jai White as Jax and they'll definitely have my money - all of it. :beam:

MDD

#8  September 30, 2011, 03:04:25 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
Though I hope they improve some of the character designs. The "human" guys like Kano were fine but Baraka looked like he came out of Lord of the Rings.
#9  September 30, 2011, 03:22:33 am
  • The Best of Both Worlds
  • SuperStar

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
yes, I did not recognized Baraka in the Legacy trailer when I watched first time.

#10  September 30, 2011, 03:40:27 am
    • USA
Fuck legacy, I want a Rebirth movie. That shit was 10 times better and more interesting.

SNT

#11  September 30, 2011, 04:30:40 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
What, with harlequin baby Reptile?  Plastic surgeon Baraka?  No thanks.

MDD

#12  September 30, 2011, 04:35:50 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
Don't forget convict Scorpion and rich-white-playboy-turned-weird-zombie-thing Sub-Zero.
#13  September 30, 2011, 04:37:07 am
    • USA
Yeah, Batman Begins sucks.
#14  September 30, 2011, 06:09:49 am
  • Cthulhu fhtagn !

MDD

#15  September 30, 2011, 07:01:25 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
You're probably the only person on this forum and in general that thinks it was bad.

Get your shit straight before you tote your bad taste around.
#16  September 30, 2011, 09:05:28 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
Except the first MK movie was good so shut up.

If you thought that shit was good than you need to STFU. 

And lol at "brilliantly".

yeah, you are wrong...

if you don't like it is ok... but the movie still stands as a good one, johnny Cage really feels like him, Liu Kang too, Sonya, all characters were well made, and you have cool fights without a HOOOOLE 3 hrs dialogues like in some movies, we didn't know about reptile, subzero and scorpion reasons to be fighting, just simple stuff make it good, a tournament, that's it... bad vs good... the movie feels like the old games...

so stop saying it's bad if you don't know much about MK, because if you did, you will know the first movie was pretty good! (ask the nostalgia critic about his review and the comments he got) xD
            Zorf Giudecca
#17  September 30, 2011, 09:22:15 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Its a trend to bash MK..but the first Mk movie is considered as the best and maybe the only good video game to movie adaption ever made.

Some say Silent Hill was the best, but whenever i ve read something about videogame movies in general the most liked the first MK

While that MKRebirth /Legacy guy has probably good ideas, and connections as well (he got 2 of today`s best martial art actors/experts for the shows with Michael Jay White as Jax and Matt Mullins as Johnny Cage) i doubt the new Movie will be as good as the old Christopher Lambert MK Movie.

Its likely that the Movie will be released at the same time as a new MK game..2013 makes sense.. 2 years between a part of the series is a good time, but i hope there will be something for Mk next year as well, especially since the series will turn 20 years.  And i hope it wont be a "HD" collection of MKDA-MKA for ps3...its also likely that a MK 2011 port for the psvita will be released with all dlc and maybe new stuff onboard..

Anyway, its cool that after so many years a new MK movie gets done..lets pray it wont go the KOF,DOA,Tekken, SF movie route and be utter crap.
#18  September 30, 2011, 10:00:06 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:06:15 am by Caddie
#19  September 30, 2011, 10:15:46 am
    • USA
way to miss the point Caddie. MK Rebirth unlike Legacy moves away from the basic MK story and shows the characters in a more realistic way, that was what I was aiming at. Legacy, as much as I loved it is still too close to the basic MK story. I don't know about you guys but I actually wanted to see how Rebirth would be like with more than one episode...

And should I remind you all that all of you were like "ZOMG THAT'S AWESOME DO WANT" when Rebirth was shown for the first time? Or what? Everybody suddenly got their tastes one level higher? I really see far more potential on Rebirth than on Legacy but whatever, Legacy is the real deal right now...
#20  September 30, 2011, 10:30:11 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Well, there is a MK legacy season 2 planned as well, lets see how that one will do

I heard only a few details but one is that there will be more than one episode about the shaolin Monks Liu kang and Kung Lao..that was in an interview months ago at MKonline

according to a relative old part of the mk legacy article at wikipedia:

In an interview with Movieweb, Tancharoen revealed several elements in the future of Mortal Kombat: Legacy. On the creative agenda, he has spoken to Warner Bros. about a second season, stating he is always working on stories and would prefer to work with the same cast and crew. Season two would concern the tenth Mortal Kombat tournament, as was portrayed in the original video game, but with a different story and outcome to that seen in the game and the first film. Also concerning a second season, he spoke about the prospect of introducing Goro and the method for which he could be portrayed believably, and better than in the film. The introduction of Kabal was also raised. He also has hopes for a movie, confirming he has a "very detailed treatment, that plots out the entire story line".[27] Regarding a movie, he told IGN that it would not focus on trying to include as many franchise characters as possible the way the second film did.[18] Warner Premiere’s general manager Eva Semple David mooted television as a possible medium on which the series could continue