YesNoOk

A Dragon Ball Mugen Game (Read 9251 times)

Started by Afr0Blu3, June 07, 2010, 11:44:06 am
A Dragon Ball Mugen Game
#1  June 07, 2010, 11:44:06 am
  • The Clueless Enthusiast
    • sjwebster.com

Overview

I recently returned to the Mugen scene after a long period away when I heard that Elecbyte had started releasing new versions of Mugen. When I used to be into Mugen, I got as far as sprite editing and making stages, never quite got round to properly coding characters or anything fancy like that.

Now that I'm back, I'd like to do a Dragon Ball project in order to relearn the basics and learn some new stuff, though admittedly I would need help and would probably need to assemble a team.

I'd love to do a game with Butoden style sprites, based around the Budokai and Burst Limit control system, that would run at a fast pace and actually feel like a Dragon Ball battle (for me the old SNES DBZ games feel too slow, as does Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2).

If possible I'd love to include in-battle transformations.

Controls
I'd like the controls to be universal and would probably set it up as follows:
Arrow Keys - Move
Arrow Key in Opposite Direction to Opponent's Facing - Block
Z - Punch
X - Kick
C - Ki
A - Special 1
S - Special 2
D - Ultimate Special
Space Bar - Transform Up
Shift Key - Transform Down

This way all the keys you need to fight are in one place, and anyone can pick up and play, much like the Budokai series.

Characters
Though I have a huge roster of characters I would like to put in, an initial version would probably launch with between six and twelve characters, focusing on showcasing characters whose appearances have been heavily edited from their original sprite rips.

Goku - Base, Kaio-Ken (may be implemented in some moves instead of being a transformation) Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3
Goku (Blue Gi) - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3
Gohan (Elder Kai Unlock)
Vegeta - Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2
Vegeta (Armour)
Vegito - Base, Super Saiyan
Oob
Piccolo (identical to Butoden appearance, obligatory character)
Freeza - Base, 2nd form, third form, final form
Cell - Base, second form, Perfect form
Boo (identical to Butoden appearance, obligatory character)
Broly (identical to Butoden appearance, obligatory character)
Super Android 13

Characters I would like to have, oh man, there are probably as many as there are in Tenkaichi games XD. I'd probably release with 6 to 12 and just release updates with new characters as I made them.

Stages
Stages will, for the most part, be ripped from Butoden. Expect the usual Tenkaichi Budokai stadium, Kame House, Kami's Lookout, etc

Graphics
For graphics, I could do sprite edits of the characters that already exist in Butoden, Frankensprite and maybe make a few poses from scratch, which would result in the graphics you see at the top of this page, or I could redraw the characters in HD, but that would push the character count way down to 6, it would be a lot more work, I would be less likely to finish the project, and there would likely be very few updates released. That said, this is what a HD redraw would look like:

Feedback
The main reason this is placed in the ideas section is because I've made very little progress so far and want to talk to you guys about what you would like to see, and if some of my ideas are feasible, or even possible in Mugen. Also, if anyone is interested enough to want to lend a hand, you're more than welcome to jump aboard.
Re: A Dragon Ball Mugen Game
#2  June 07, 2010, 02:14:34 pm
  • He can break those cuffs!
Haha! Its a Picceta veteran! What's up dood?
Nice project as well. :D
#3  June 07, 2010, 04:16:11 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
Yea I think it would be better if you redrew like maybe 3 or 4 of those chars....Too many people just use the buoten sprites right there and its just a old and tired style to be completely honest ...So i say lessen the chars and draw them over and you will get way more people interested in joining the team...Cause every char you got up there has been better sprited before at the same size you are doing them now...So be one of the few who do something unique  ..Cause the flash goku you did looks pretty promising to me

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
#4  June 07, 2010, 05:18:57 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Controls
I'd like the controls to be universal and would probably set it up as follows:
Arrow Keys - Move
Arrow Key in Opposite Direction to Opponent's Facing - Block
Z - Punch
X - Kick
C - Ki
A - Special 1
S - Special 2
D - Ultimate Special
Space Bar - Transform Up
Shift Key - Transform Down

Since when was 8 buttons possible in MUGEN?

Also not everyone has the same keyboard configuration for MUGEN, so its much easier and less confusing to denote the buttons as punches (X,Y,Z) and kicks (A,B,C)
Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:27:34 pm by RicePigeon
#5  June 07, 2010, 05:57:43 pm
    • sjwebster.com
@Koju: I'm that instantly recognisable from Picceta's, eh?

@Thane: Yeah, I was thinking Butoden mgiht be overdone, which is why I was gonna try for alternate costumes and characters like Oob and Super Android 13. While 3 or 4 HD characters would take longer, it'd still only take about the same amount of time as doing say, 12 sprite ones.

Could you link me to the ones which have been done before? I'm curious to see how they turned out.

@RicePidgeon: At least now I know Mugen's limited to six buttons ^^; Like I said, I never got round to coding characters before so I didn't know where the limit was.
#6  June 08, 2010, 12:07:21 am
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
@Koju: I'm that instantly recognisable from Picceta's, eh?

@Thane: Yeah, I was thinking Butoden mgiht be overdone, which is why I was gonna try for alternate costumes and characters like Oob and Super Android 13. While 3 or 4 HD characters would take longer, it'd still only take about the same amount of time as doing say, 12 sprite ones.

Could you link me to the ones which have been done before? I'm curious to see how they turned out.

@RicePidgeon: At least now I know Mugen's limited to six buttons ^^; Like I said, I never got round to coding characters before so I didn't know where the limit was.

Well i have done like half of those sprites my self....Just saying...What good is the game play if sprites dont live up to it...it cuts the experience for me....i could post a few up you want to see...How long have you been into mugen?

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

#7  June 08, 2010, 09:37:11 am
    • sjwebster.com
That'd be cool. I played around with WinMugen for about six or seven months, casually, on and off, back in... Think 2008, might have been as long ago as 07, then when I got Vista I had a few problems running WinMugen and uni was starting to lay on the workloads and I kinda forgot about it until I heard about these new releases from Elecbyte a few days ago.

EDIT: Just did this. A HD redraw would take a long time, this took around 20 minutes, and, in my opinion, doesn't look that great.
Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:44:41 am by Afr0Blu3
#8  June 08, 2010, 04:41:35 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
That'd be cool. I played around with WinMugen for about six or seven months, casually, on and off, back in... Think 2008, might have been as long ago as 07, then when I got Vista I had a few problems running WinMugen and uni was starting to lay on the workloads and I kinda forgot about it until I heard about these new releases from Elecbyte a few days ago.

EDIT: Just did this. A HD redraw would take a long time, this took around 20 minutes, and, in my opinion, doesn't look that great.

Well i dont think it a bad start and maybe i could give you some quick advice...when spriteing try to do like all of one part it might help you work faster...for example just sprite all of the tops it will cut down your work time cause your just focusing on one thing then after you do all the tops do the pants next...It might seem a bit tedious  at first but you will get the hang of it and you will do much better. Also i just think you need a better base...cause those butoten  bases suck ass....

Check these out i did this in like 2007 /08 I had to search deep in my photobucket account for this..BTW im much better then this  ::)

For some shinb b stuff

Thats all i got time for now...but i think you should really try to do HD redraws....Its much more fresh and new....

Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:51:20 pm by thanewdude07
#9  June 08, 2010, 11:55:49 pm
  • im finally just like everyone else
    • sites.google.com/site/thespritehaven/

fucking bad poster asshole that home32 bitch
#10  June 09, 2010, 08:10:11 pm
  • doot doot doot
    • lili-yajuujo.deviantart.com/
I'd definitely vote for the HD redraws. Hell, if I can get my tablet up and running again, I wouldn't mind helping out with the HD conversion. Honestly, I'd take a game with four to six REALLY WELL DONE characters instead of a game with twenty mediocre ones. Go for quality, regardless of the time it takes to get it done. The second you shoot for high quality, people will come out of the woodwork to help.
#11  June 10, 2010, 09:40:09 am
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
I'd definitely vote for the HD redraws. Hell, if I can get my tablet up and running again, I wouldn't mind helping out with the HD conversion. Honestly, I'd take a game with four to six REALLY WELL DONE characters instead of a game with twenty mediocre ones. Go for quality, regardless of the time it takes to get it done. The second you shoot for high quality, people will come out of the woodwork to help.

Exactly...Hyper dimension might be a big hard to redraw..but then again...i cant draw worth crap....Dont worry about have a big game with a bunch of chars...if you have 6 great chars thats more then a enough to get a team of people together to help you finish the rest

#12  June 30, 2010, 12:07:31 am
  • Sup
Nice characters, but can you please send in a link for us to download it.
Whats sup.
#13  July 29, 2010, 06:25:33 pm