YesNoOk

"Street Fighter 0" - the first Generation (first post updated on 25.07) (Read 18013 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, July 24, 2012, 02:04:23 pm
Re: "Street Fighter 0" - the first Generation
#21  July 24, 2012, 08:31:50 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
i ll ask my FGE (Fighting Games Elite) group on dA which has over 5700 members in a blog now what they think about the idea. I bet at least 10 artists would draw their concepts of young versions of the characters, these could maybe be used as references for spriters.

Does anyone else here like the Idea and would like to be a part of it, if this should get much interest and gets developed into real concepts and a mugen game?

#22  July 24, 2012, 10:40:17 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Absolutely. I think that is a fine idea. I'd love to contribute somehow, even if it's simply giving constructive feedback and technical insight.

Ask Big Boss about how I've been helping him out. Or NoZ's Warzone monicker. Or or Dcat's Krang and some move ideas I gave that became a reality. I would love to help!!
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#23  July 24, 2012, 10:42:55 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Maybe think about possible looks for characters, their stories and their movesets, that could be useful

#24  July 24, 2012, 10:44:08 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Two armed Oro would be awesome!
#25  July 24, 2012, 10:47:32 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Maybe think about possible looks for characters, their stories and their movesets, that could be useful

On it. I really like this idea GBK. As I like to say, the best ideas happen from whim alone.

I'll work on conjuring up some fresh ideas and PM you within the next couple of days. I'd recommend talking with MaxBeta about this too. He is quite the talented fellow.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
#26  July 24, 2012, 11:29:26 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
It's a great idea for sure, hope it gets somewhere.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#27  July 24, 2012, 11:37:19 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
So wait, I thought Sagat was part of Shadoloo in SF2 (which takes place after Alpha). Hell, he has a Shadoloo ending in SF2CE and Turbo
Like capcom does sometimes, they flipped up their storyline. Sagat had forgiven Ryu in canon by the end of SFA2. Its shown in SF4 as well, which takes place between SF2 and SF3.

Also, Akuma would already be evil by age 30, so the protagonist role is questionable.

That's why the canon cannot work outside of each series individually.

Each Street Fighter Series has its own individual canon.

SFA is all messed up because events that take place in SFA1 repeat in SFA2 and then the plot in SFA3 brought on a whole slew of problems because it made the whole point in the series an attempt to stop M.Bison and rescue the Dolls instead of there ever being an actual Street Fighter Tournament hosted in Thailand.

So NO. Even though SFA might LOOK like it predates SF2...IT DOESN'T.
A LOT of stuff in both series canon does not relate and creates many discrepancies.

In SFIV (which is a complete reboot and NOT something after SF3) there's Cody with his prison garbs & Sakura still wearing a school uniform...these kinda things just don't pan out if the game was really in canon with the rest of the series.

The only thing that remains faithful to every series is the look and appearance of the characters (somewhat) and each individual story (again somewhat)...because that's how Capcom meant it to be and that's how the fans over the years have loved it. UNIVERSAL.

I think I already made a similar wall of text in the SFA4 Discussion thread a while back...oh well, I love talking about the games I love playing.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#28  July 24, 2012, 11:46:51 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
So wait, I thought Sagat was part of Shadoloo in SF2 (which takes place after Alpha). Hell, he has a Shadoloo ending in SF2CE and Turbo
Like capcom does sometimes, they flipped up their storyline. Sagat had forgiven Ryu in canon by the end of SFA2. Its shown in SF4 as well, which takes place between SF2 and SF3.

Also, Akuma would already be evil by age 30, so the protagonist role is questionable.

That's why the canon cannot work outside of each series individually.

Each Street Fighter Series has its own individual canon.

SFA is all messed up because events that take place in SFA1 repeat in SFA2 and then the plot in SFA3 brought on a whole slew of problems because it made the whole point in the series an attempt to stop M.Bison and rescue the Dolls instead of there ever being an actual Street Fighter Tournament hosted in Thailand.

So NO. Even though SFA might LOOK like it predates SF2...IT DOESN'T.
A LOT of stuff in both series canon does not relate and creates many discrepancies.

In SFIV (which is a complete reboot and NOT something after SF3) there's Cody with his prison garbs & Sakura still wearing a school uniform...these kinda things just don't pan out if the game was really in canon with the rest of the series.

The only thing that remains faithful to every series is the look and appearance of the characters (somewhat) and each individual story (again somewhat)...because that's how Capcom meant it to be and that's how the fans over the years have loved it. UNIVERSAL.

I think I already made a similar wall of text in the SFA4 Discussion thread a while back...oh well, I love talking about the games I love playing.

Capcom had a nice canon plot for sf before sf4, the problems you mention were properly fixed.

[EDIT]

zero 2 overwrites zero 1.
zero3 was not supossed to be about a tournament but rather about dictator's multiple ploys to gain more power (the psycho drive, moving to ryu's body, etc...).
sf2 got overwritten by the latest release (gba I think), so chunli does NOT avenge her father and guile is the one who defeats dictator then gouki kills dictator later, sagat is not part of shadaloo.
Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:50:46 pm by [E]
#29  July 24, 2012, 11:52:05 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
Well, with what MaxBeta said, this story could tie into cannon themes. You don't have to be 100% accurate as Capcom hasn't been either.

The way I look at it is Alpha had its cannon. Ex had its own cannon. And SF1, 2 and 3 had an underlying cannon, even if those three games were somewhat related.

That gives some type of liberty with designing this whole thing. You could use elements and characters somewhat freely. As long as characters and their lineages are related, people wouldn't mind a fresh take on some backstory/history.

Let the ideas roll!!

#30  July 25, 2012, 12:04:00 am
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
SSF2THDR is the latest installment in the SF2 series.
And yeah, SF4 fucked up everything.
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#31  July 25, 2012, 12:06:22 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
[E] The plot endings in SSF2 Turbo Revival are exactly the same as in SSF2T just with a little different script and graphics. http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/gba/a/ssf2ryu.htm

But no matter. This article will illustrate everyone better. http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2010/jun/03/street-fighter-series-plot-guide/

...and that's not the only article, there's more related stuff found through Capcom Wikia, Capcom Unity, and most people in SRK will agree that these games do not follow a strict canon and cannot follow in sequence one after the other. The key word again being UNIVERSAL. Capcom made these characters this way so they can be renewed and refreshed which each upcoming game.

Thus being said, it would be awesome to create a fangame based on these universal themes as pointed out by Saikoro...and I'm all for it.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
#32  July 25, 2012, 12:22:04 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
This will always be a difference of "opinion" as i refuse to accept the changes in the canon introduced when capcom decided to stop giving a fuck about sf, I am based on tiamat's guide when it was still being mantained by him and official statements made by capcom japan and dropped everything once.

a) capcom japan stopped giving a fuck about sf (around the tiem sfz3max something was released).
b) capcom japan put a sound guy in charge of the franchise.
c) capcom america said that every sf game is it's own separate universe and there is no continuity between them.

so yeah, what you say is the actual canon, what I said is what used to be the canon before as i pointed out; there is no need to talk in circles.
#33  July 25, 2012, 12:34:28 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico

I REFUSE TO HEAR IT!!!...THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE CANNON!!!

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Okay if you say so...just bear in mind all fighting games are great at two things.

a) Being addictive
b) Having a shitty canon/storyline sequence

But you are right, its nothing worth the need of talking in circles.

So yeah, about this fangame GBK proposes...will it have canon? **ducks and evades cans and tomatoes**

MDD

#34  July 25, 2012, 12:40:12 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
  • Only here for one night let me put it on ya face
It would be silly to see young Akuma and high school Sakura in the same game, so yeah i'd imagine it will.
#35  July 25, 2012, 12:50:23 am
    • USA
The story working out wouldn't be to much to worry about if you kept the roster small.

Why not do like 6-8 characters that are obviously in the right time gap. Then it would feel like a early SF game.
#36  July 25, 2012, 12:53:29 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

I REFUSE TO HEAR IT!!!...THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE CANNON!!!

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Okay if you say so...just bear in mind all fighting games are great at two things.

a) Being addictive
b) Having a shitty canon/storyline sequence

But you are right, its nothing worth the need of talking in circles.

So yeah, about this fangame GBK proposes...will it have canon? **ducks and evades cans and tomatoes**

In general i believe a fan game does not have to be canon, and in the case of SF it might be difficult to create characters as canonical as possible. Instead some own Ideas might be needed.

@MDD

In my Idea of a SF Origins, a Sakura is not yet born.

It could play around 1965-1970. I would have to check  and read a bit about all the SF history/ before coming up with real concepts to make this game idea not a clusterfuck.

Additional Ideas i got from People at deviantart

Chun Li`s father involved and a playable character?
Zekuu, Guy's teacher and the previous master of Bushinryu could be in the game

8 characters and 1-2 bosses sound like a good idea @ink

90% of the ideas and projects i saw with giant rosters were never developed.

question: who of you would like to work on a part of such a game?

MDD

#37  July 25, 2012, 12:57:33 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
-Gouken
-Akuma
-Gen
-Retsu
-Sagat
-Lee
-Rose
-Gou Hibiki/Chun-Li's father
-2 or 3 secret characters? Adon or Goutetsu maybe?
-Bison or Urien as possible bosses?

You have a shitload of possibilities with this but that's how I would do it.

EDIT: Ninja'd but yeah.
#38  July 25, 2012, 01:00:04 am
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Most def.

I'm all for seeing characters like Mike, Lee, Joe and Geki who have forever banished since that old arcade cabinet.

- Mike could be young, since he does have a very mature appearance in SF1, and since he boxes...well, he could probably have some gloves and maybe even a coach in his corner.
You would consider him to be more speedy and boxing like. I dunno, kinda like a Mike Tyson when he was at his prime and before he got way cocky kinda type. A fro would be cool too.

- Lee, well...along with Gen in the game this could definitely be an item kinda like what Yun and Yang did for SF3. Two different fighters, two different kung fu styles.

- Joe and Geki would probably be young adults here. Bring that old Cody and Vega nostalgia backed up with a few new moves and this could work.

- Sagat...well yeah, with two eyes, no scar and a hairy crest similar to Adon's but not as spiky.

more later.
#39  July 25, 2012, 01:03:48 am
    • USA

MDD

#40  July 25, 2012, 01:06:20 am
  • OG Pallette Goon
Works better than Rose so long as she wouldn't be another shoto.