YesNoOk

Jmorphman's WIP thread: Project S.H.I.N.(go): Shingo Beta out! (Read 2441662 times)

Started by Jmorphman, November 01, 2010, 09:13:43 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Got a light?

This is the water
81 (25.2%)
And this is the well
77 (24%)
Drink full, and descend
33 (10.3%)
The horse is the white of the eye
37 (11.5%)
And the dark within
52 (16.2%)
This is the water
41 (12.8%)
And this is the well
0 (0%)
Drink full, and descend
0 (0%)
The horse is the white of the eye
0 (0%)
And the dark within
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Re: Jmorphman's WIP thread: B.B. Hood palette template!
#6261  December 22, 2020, 05:42:02 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Thanks for all the palettes!
#6262  December 22, 2020, 11:46:50 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
The gura palette is fire, love the watson, calliope and kiara references.

Thank you ;)
It was such a joy to make this kind of 'little tribute' to the group! (there might be a preeetty abstract Ina reference somewhere in there, btw... ;P)

Dr. Doom

Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:04:36 am by Bento Neira
#6263  March 09, 2021, 08:08:38 pm
    • USA
proof of life:

After an long and arduous journey of organizing and CSing the sprites, and grabbing animation and hitbox data (I've truly been spoiled by the CvS2 script that automatically records that stuff), I have finally been able to start actually coding B.B. Hood. Which ironically is probably going to be the easiest and fastest part of this whole process.

Here's a video showcasing some of the new stuff I've come up with for my version of BBH, as well as the 100% correct and bug-free Dark Force system.

She only has one intro in all the games she's appeared in, and it literally just consisted of her standard walk forward animation. Which is pretty meh! So I thought I'd add in two additional intros: the first might be a bit hard to comprehend since I haven't added her dog in yet, but the basic concept is that she's playing with him and then sees the opponent. Obviously not very complicated, but at least it's something other than walking forward! The other one uses a voiceclip that generally never gets heard, from her time over animation. My understanding is that she's saying the equivalent of "Once upon a time...", and heck, that seemed like a really great intro line given her whole entire shtick. I frankensprited the upper torso of a sprite from her weird command crawl (D + 3K) with the lower torso from her intro vs. Jon Talbain (where she's lying down and reading a book), then added added the ring of flowers from one of her winposes to try and jazz it up a little because it seemed weird for her to just be lying down in the middle of the stage with nothing else around her.

For both intros I wanted to maintain "the reveal" of BBH's true nature, as it were, so it was important to maintain her image as being an innocent Red Riding Hood knockoff. I do wonder if adding that voice clip to the end of the first intro after she turns around is maybe revealing too much, though? I dunno.

The other major new thing is a brand new throw, because she only had a single punch throw in all the games she's been in. I thought it'd be fun to try and adapt her weird Vampire Savior 2 only super "Doll & Bomb" into a throw, and after a lot of revising, I think it's really come together and works.

Oh, and I guess I should also mention that I made the various ES versions of her missile projectile move use the same sprite as the version from MvC2 (you can see it in action in the second screenshot above). The MvC2 ones are essentially a scaled down version of the projectiles the Hunters shoot in Cool Hunting, so I thought it'd be a nice way of differentiating the normal projectile from the ES one.

Might as well talk about some balancing changes too now.
  • BBH has a (in)famous infinite in Vampire Savior because her far LP has truly insane frame data (+8 on hit when converted to standard CvS2 speed!!!), which allows her to link into her forward dash, from which she can then cancel out of into another far LP. This VS infinite requires the use of the Renda bonus in order to make it consistently link at turbo speed, but even without that mechanic (because I have not adopted it for either Demitri or BBH), the buffering system's was so lenient that it made this infinite easy enough for even me to pull of consistently. But I don't wanna have even a difficult to pull off infinite! So I made far LP's hitstun steadily decrease based on the current combo counter, so that her frame advantage drops on each subsequent hit (to a minimum of +5).
  • I've sort of done the reverse for her stand and crouch HP, however. Both attacks are pretty bad, due to the amount of pushback and the awful frame data. I tried to give these two attacks some use by adding a sort of dynamic hitstun for the opponent, so that at worst, BBH will only be -9 on hit, and that's only if she hits with the first gun blast only. Most of the time she will instead be between -4 and -1, but the pushback amount will be the same as before. Hopefully now the two moves will have at least some theoretical use.
  • I've considered giving her Stumble & Blade (while dashing, F/B + MP) command normal some brief startup invincibility or something because it's otherwise atrocious in almost every way. But that might be a bit too abusable, maybe?
  • For her air missile move (where she jumps up from the ground and fires a missile downwards) she spends a shit ton of time in the air after firing the missile, which makes it really impractical to use. I noticed that the MvC2 variant of the move keeps the exact same animation speed and initial vels, but after she fires the missile in MvC2, she descends much, much more rapidly. So I went ahead and modeled her vels on MvC2 instead of VS; hopefully now her air missile will be less useless. I've also thought about maybe allowing her to use her air missile move while actually in midair (instead of being a ground -> air move). She's already capable of this during her Dark Force, so it wouldn't be too wild. But then again, maybe giving her that ability even out of Dark Force is too powerful?
#6264  March 09, 2021, 08:51:28 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Yes !Some news of B.B. Hood / Bulleta!
Looks very promising.
I like the custom work for intro.
#6265  March 10, 2021, 11:55:22 am
All your characters are fabulous.

Why is Chun-Li without her tenshokyaku? Her kinda shoryuken attack.

Like a suggestion, you could make athena and chang.

Athena was made by divinewolf a little bit distant with different pose and palettes.

Chang by falconrapper without choi.

both are good, but not exactly as in CVS 2.

Your treatment always fits perfectly for the characters.
Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:03:41 pm by Mazemerald.
#6266  March 10, 2021, 02:08:19 pm
Awesome to see you still crackin at BB hood jman, looking forward to her, just when it comes to intros if possible dont give away her evil persona from the get go, I really like that aspect of her.

Mazemerald dont request chars.
Chun has that attack after a combo like USF4, if you are talking about the kicks in the air.
#6267  March 10, 2021, 05:09:59 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
OMG, so many new and original things!  :joyful

They all look and sound really good! Btw, her voice clip for the final part of intro doesn't seem to evoke her "alt personality" really that much, imo.

Why is Chun-Li without her tenshokyaku? Her kinda shoryuken attack.

Chun-Li does have that, and several other moves, in the alternate mode. (just hold "start" while selecting her with any other button)
Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:45:40 pm by NDSilva
#6268  April 06, 2021, 12:21:55 am
    • USA
FIRE WARS

These fire FX were a pain in the ass to align/get to move properly was a huge pain in the ass. And then I had to do it all again a second time to get it right. :qq:

The MvC2 rips of BBH have three sets of fire FX: two using a single stream of fire (one horizontal and one diagonal, I'm using the horizontal one for ES Horizontal Cheer & Fire), and one resembling the VS version, which is made up of multiple individual flames that slowly rise upward (these FX are never actually used by BBH in MvC2, though). Moreover, there are no clean/aligned rips of the fire plumes from VS. The hi-res'd flames I'm using were therefore made using the MvC2 rips, which are kinda interesting:

VS is on the left, MvC2 is on the right. The MvC2 ones are originally from X-Men vs Street Fighter and were used for one of Dhalsim's fire attacks; clearly, the VS ones were derived either directly from those Dhalsim fire sprites or from whatever process was used to make those Dhalsim ones. Anyway, the MvC2 ones are basically doubled in size compared to the VS ones and also slightly stretched out vertically; this made it pretty tricky to get them to line up with the movement the various fire plumes take in VS.

Onto the next move.
#6269  April 06, 2021, 09:17:22 am
  • A.K.A. NED
So, Capcom recycle their own effects...
After all snk/playmore did it, particularly with fire effects. I remember SVC Dhalsim's yoga fire is a fire animation from Kyo, and also take some fire burst from Chin Gentsai.

But it's more surprising to see them scalling up some effects.
The result looks good.

Good luck buddy!
Glad to see some progress!
#6270  April 07, 2021, 02:27:55 pm
I got lazy with some of the extras
Autumn-atic Pistol

Braindance

Gam Gam

Lil Adventurer

Sirikana
#6271  April 09, 2021, 04:19:12 am
    • USA
#6272  April 10, 2021, 08:33:33 am
  • Was it something I said?
Gotta love the comedic effect of Demitri falling face flat on the ground like he's Wile E. Coyote.

Really good stuff, my dude!
#6273  April 10, 2021, 08:41:22 am
  • A.K.A. NED
Such a move can be a pain in the ass to look good.
Good job making it!!
#6274  April 10, 2021, 09:29:58 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Hoodwinked

Goenitz

Peacock

Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:36:18 am by NDSilva
#6275  April 11, 2021, 01:49:25 am
    • USA
It's good to see you around again Jmorphman. It's been a while. I hope you're doing okay. Are you using JZ's VSav script to datamine?
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#6276  April 13, 2021, 03:02:55 am
    • USA
Yes, just like with Demitri.

Gotta love the comedic effect of Demitri falling face flat on the ground like he's Wile E. Coyote.
For characters without that special horizontal spinning animation, I just have them use the standard air knockdown anim (as if they got hit into the air by a Shoryuken or something), but it doesn't look great. I'm not really sure what else to use in its place, though.

Thanks for the palettes!
#6277  April 14, 2021, 05:22:05 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
#6278  April 19, 2021, 04:59:51 am
    • USA
#6279  April 19, 2021, 07:27:31 am
  • 2Lazy2SpriteMoreNova
Little Red Riding Head One

Little Red Riding Head Two

Little Red Riding Head Three

Gothic Bo Peep

For All Four Palettes Above
Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:15:51 am by ReduxMercenaryT
#6280  April 19, 2021, 09:55:58 am