YesNoOk

Thoughts on making already existing characters (Read 13195 times)

Started by Yuko, May 25, 2019, 07:44:54 pm
Share this topic:
Thoughts on making already existing characters
#1  May 25, 2019, 07:44:54 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm sorry if this topic has been created already.
This is something I've been thinking about for some time. What do you think?
Sometimes I feel like creating a char that I like, but then I look at how many of them already exist for MUGEN, and it makes me a little hesitating ...
Should creators just make whatever they want, no matter how many of the same content is already made, or they should not make the same chars over and over again?

My personal opinion is that creators should make what they want, no matter if your favorite character has been made by a thousand different creators. Most of the time you want to create something that will differ from the others, be it better sprites, more moves, different gameplay system, etc.
Also, people are not forced to download your character if they already have the same one, so ...
Re: Thoughts on making already existing characters
#2  May 25, 2019, 07:51:27 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
That's how I feel when I decide to recode a existent version of certain chars into my VS Style Debuts template.

Sometimes you even want to give up because you can possibly fucks up a character which was already maded well and more accurately to source games by another coder. [Even if the intent of recoding it's more for a experimental changes and etcetera]

- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#3  May 25, 2019, 10:02:11 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
If people started thinking of stuff like this, I doubt we would even have a community nowadays.

Don't think about it and do what you want.
#4  May 25, 2019, 10:33:20 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Pretty much what Darkflare said, there is nothing wrong with making characters that already exist since even commercial fighting games do this. In fact, the funnest idea in my opinion is taking an already existing character and refreshing their gameplay whether it is to convert them into a different game mechanic style to remixing their already pre-existing mechanic or even going full custom gameplay. With that brought up, old characters can always be renewed and help them remain relevant in the scene.
#5  May 25, 2019, 10:41:17 pm
besides, gameplay mechanics are so varied, that no character will play the same as another. for example, an mvc3 ryu is drastically different than an cvs ryu.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#6  May 26, 2019, 12:13:21 am
You do you, its the best way to go about it. Even if its in the same style, I will still go over all the versions available to me and pick the one I like the most.

Just cause we have 2131231 cvs ryus does not mean you should not make a cvs Ryu.
#7  May 28, 2019, 03:36:02 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Considering that edits, alternative versions, and clones are a thing within MUGEN, I am of the opinion that creators should do whatever they want, regardless of if there is a previous character already.

I should know, considering that most of my MUGEN creations are edits and clones of existing characters and I don't get flak nowadays. Although there is a time where people look down on clones and edits, that was a long time ago and many of such complainers either left MUGEN or mellowed out. As a result, such complaints are seen as being a wierdo.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#8  May 29, 2019, 12:20:14 am
  • Here in the madness machine
    • USA
I’d say keep making what you want shoot that’s how her got so many awesome versions of Ryu, Ken, Akuma. Some of my faves are Ogre, Reu’s Chars and the different Dans.
#9  May 31, 2019, 09:48:51 pm
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
On the other side of things - Are there even any 2D fighting game characters that HAVEN'T been made in Mugen? If there's a thread for this, please let me know, because I'd like to rip and / or make a character that hasn't been done before.
An anthropomorphic existential nightmare.
#10  June 04, 2019, 06:30:55 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
There's a story it has to be told everytime someone asks about this or made a thread like this: like 10 years ago, Portuguese MUGEN creator Phantom of the Server (most known by his initials: POTS) was another common creator out there, until he announced he was going to work in his own version of CVS Ryu, an idea was totally rejected for good part of the community because there were plenty of Ryu on MUGEN, especially from CVS series.

Well, he continued with his WIP, until he released his version of Ryu, and quickly becomes THE definite Ryu you'd to use: the megamix of his moves from all his appearances until then (SFIII included), the edits of moves that aren't from CVS1-2 edited to fit the character, the color separation, the 4 modes to use (Normal, Evil, Master and the 3 mixed modes in one), and especially the sparks (FX hits, super sparks and screens) made him not just shut the mouth of all who think his version won't be remarkable, but gained various prizes in diverse websites and was the base for all his future characters... and creators who mimify this new style and take it as own.

tl;dr, thanks to that Ryu the "POTS-style" was born, and I witnessed all of that

So yeah, as many already said here, if you got an idea and you know it's good, then do it, no matter if was something made before. Who knows if you become the next POTS and your character becomes the model for years to come ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 07:40:06 pm by Bad Mr. Basara
#11  June 04, 2019, 06:39:05 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
Minor nitpick, but I am sure PotS is from Portugal, not Brazil. It's just very coincidental that both nations speak Portuguese and most of his imitators are from Brazil.
#12  June 04, 2019, 07:40:35 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Yeah, you're right, fixed in my previous post :P

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#13  June 04, 2019, 11:21:39 pm
  • 2D Forever. Maybe.
    • www.twitch.tv/brendle
Great mssg on the history of stuff Bad Mr. Basara, thanks.
An anthropomorphic existential nightmare.
#14  June 05, 2019, 04:39:23 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
On the other side of things - Are there even any 2D fighting game characters that HAVEN'T been made in Mugen? If there's a thread for this, please let me know, because I'd like to rip and / or make a character that hasn't been done before.
Generally those from terrible DOS games that only Melvana, Kelexo, and a few Japanese creators were interested in.
#15  June 05, 2019, 05:07:55 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Minor nitpick, but I am sure PotS is from Portugal, not Brazil. It's just very coincidental that both nations speak Portuguese and most of his imitators are from Brazil.

Finally someone understand that we don't speak spanish, lol

Now for the purpose of the thread, I see. I was afraid of making something that would be "just one more of the same char", but this encourages me. And I only want to make "the same char" again because I feel that the existing ones lacks something, I want to add more to the gameplay. :P
#16  June 05, 2019, 04:14:58 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Generally those from terrible DOS games that only Melvana, Kelexo, and a few Japanese creators were interested in.

Or if youa re lucky, a random arcade game that suddenly got supported by mame ; I odn't if it still happnes but I used to check a few mame pages in the late 2ks because it would ahppen randomly (that and cps3 emulation being new got me into "moding" mame).

vyn

#17  June 06, 2019, 12:12:29 am
    • Mexico
    • armandojc3@gmail.com
Dunno about others but when selecting a character to make next, i kinda preffer something already done a few times, that way people dont expect accuracy at all, hell people will encourage original content in characters and original crazy content is what i love about mugen.

This of course coming from the dude who makes many versions of the same character himself lol.
#18  June 06, 2019, 01:16:00 pm
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
Didn't Jesuszilla make 3 Felicias with 3 different systems? I think it was a nice experience for him (he clearly likes the character) and a nice experience for the community (two of them won the cotm award iirc)

I'm up to make what I want. Besides, maybe there's an existing version out there of the character I'm making, but I might disagree completely with the decisions that the author took during development.
#19  June 09, 2019, 09:10:16 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/

Oh loads. The fighting game genre is really big. There are plenty that aren't converted or just stopped. I don't think the full cast of daraku tenshi has been done. Rise of the robots. Xenophage. Game ive forgotten the name of but buckus made something from it. Multiple other fighters that exist but ripping is hard and nobody has bothered.

Edit: game i forgot was martial masters. Sprites are rather good but I'm pretty sure there are only a couple of them in mugen.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:16:36 am by Cyanide
#20  June 09, 2019, 10:14:30 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com

Oh loads. The fighting game genre is really big. There are plenty that aren't converted or just stopped. I don't think the full cast of daraku tenshi has been done. Rise of the robots. Xenophage. Game ive forgotten the name of but buckus made something from it. Multiple other fighters that exist but ripping is hard and nobody has bothered.

Edit: game i forgot was martial masters. Sprites are rather good but I'm pretty sure there are only a couple of them in mugen.
I actually think the entire cast of Martial Masters has been made

http://mugenfreeforall.com/topic/23782-martial-masters/

Edit: Only Monkey Boy is left