YesNoOk

(Updated!) CvS2 - London 3D (Read 36308 times)

Started by Drex, November 23, 2008, 10:53:41 am
Share this topic:
(Updated!) CvS2 - London 3D
#1  November 23, 2008, 10:53:41 am

My first (and maybe only) stage project has finally been completed.

The three versions of this stage differ from the originals a bit, but I believe it is all for the better overall.

Changes made
- Daytime version has been satruated by 25%
- Evening version came to be because the real CvS2 alternates between the umbrella and gateway versions of the stage so I decided to try and make a sort of transition stage between the day colors and the night colors. This is as good as I could get it. :P
- For the night version I made it darker by using a transparency setting similar to the additive function in MUGEN. Come to think of it I really could have had mugen do it therefor preserving the original look of the stage if any purist wanted to remove the additive feature but meh...

The stages are now being hosted at Trinity Mugen thanks to Jesuszilla!
http://www.trinitymugen.net/
Downloads→Stages→Drex

.ADXs are included, but for those of you who absolutely need .mp3s
for the daytime
http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/capcom-vs.-snk-2-millionaire-fighting-2001-original-soundtra...-
For the night
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=79954.0 The Abused mix is better.

For the evening stage I'm not sure if you can find this song at the same place as the daytime song but you can listed to it here in all of it's horrendously poppy glory.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LXZaDkf3w
Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:25:53 am by Drex
Re: CvS2 - London 3D
#2  November 23, 2008, 11:37:36 am
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
I like it.
But its a shame the Billy and those other characters is not animated. They are in CvS2.
You working on that or what?
My shitty mugen stuff:
#3  November 23, 2008, 11:41:41 am
The animation is very minimal and I doubt it would would be worth the work to see their arms go up and down for two frames.
#4  November 23, 2008, 11:44:19 am
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
Imo the stage fells kind of stiff without it.
Anyway, good work. I am not much of a stage coder so I really can't give much feedback than the visual.
My shitty mugen stuff:
#5  November 23, 2008, 11:55:58 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
"First stage" ? Wow, pretty impressive. :)

Graphically, there's not much to say about it, both versions were very well ripped, and it's really appealing.
The back building on the left of the stage is a little grainy, but maybe it was like that in the game.
Due to Mugen limitations, you couldn't code the bus in 3D, but having it pass like that works very well, good job with that. :)

2 "complains" :
- The deltas are not perfect : if one char is static and the other one is moving, you can see the static one slides a little bit on the ground. It's not very noticeable, but it's still there.
- The stage is not symmetric, in the sense that boundleft != -boundright. At the beginning of the fight, this gives an unfair advantage to one of the chars (especially since the stage is quite small).
#6  November 23, 2008, 12:17:48 pm
Thank you very much Cy

I have to give major credit to Mackx though. This would not have been possible without his help.

- The back back building suffered the most from the color indexing. I may reprocess the images using error diffusion this time to hopjully bet a better image. Good thing I save my work in steps.

- I noticed the slight skidding on the stage. It'h just a little hard to get dow since I beleive the only way to control that with this kind of stage is effected entirely by the with the number of frame you are using for the background. It'll be hard, but I'll definately try to find a balance.

- There's the other thing. Every time I tried to even them up the characters would scroll off the screen leaving afterimages. This is my first stage after all so maybe I missed a step I should have done after attempting this. I just left it alone since it seemed my goal of syncing it with the original had been met.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Thanks for the commets so far guys.

Imo the stage fells kind of stiff without it.
Anyway, good work. I am not much of a stage coder so I really can't give much feedback than the visual.
I agree, without the extra movement and especially the missing bus sounds it does feel kind of stiff/empty, but this is about as close as I can get right now. (is it even possible to have the bus make a sound when it passes?)
Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:30:50 pm by Drex
#7  November 23, 2008, 12:31:06 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
is it even possible to have the bus make a sound when it passes?
The basic answer would be no.

There are ways of doing it though :
- None interactive method : you add a bus sound in the snd file playing during the stage. Since the bus passes in a determined way (every X seconds, X being a constant), you should be able to synch to snd file with the bus passing on the screen.
- Interactive method : you add a bus sound in the common.snd of the data folder. Then, you use zoffset to make some stage recognition for characters. Finally, you'll have to add some piece of code in all the chars, specifying when to play the sound. Also, you'll have to move the bus animation into the fightfx.sff, and display it via a piece of code too. Needless to say, this method is great for a full game, to add interactivity and more "personality" to a game, but it's really too complex and pointless for regular mugen.
#8  November 23, 2008, 12:38:39 pm
You know, I already considered the first method. I really could work with the .adx's perfect looping capability and careful adjusting on my part. Only problem is if it skips like my mugen does from time to tome it gets messy. I may end up still attempting it.
#9  November 23, 2008, 02:11:33 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
these are looking great but everything has bene said besides the color loss issue nice stages though  :sugoi:
#10  November 23, 2008, 07:03:16 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
TBH I have no real problems with this stage. Awesome release!

BTW the link for the night version seems to be acting really gay and I can't DL it. Disregard that, DLing now.
Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:06:26 pm by Jesuszilla
#11  November 23, 2008, 07:10:36 pm
You know, I already considered the first method. I really could work with the .adx's perfect looping capability and careful adjusting on my part. Only problem is if it skips like my mugen does from time to tome it gets messy. I may end up still attempting it.

Really the only method, even though I love the interactive way i don't see anyone adding code to everyone of their characters... The only problem with the first method is when characters do their supers it pauses the game for a split second causing the sound to go off sync, this is unavoidable and you'll hear the bus sound when the bus is not there. It will work perfect if no one fights though(kinda pointless). It's too bad the interactive way is too complicated...
For more Mugen stuff visit me at http://retrostage.trinitymugen.net/
#12  November 23, 2008, 08:42:39 pm
Oi, Well I'm glad I didn't start on it yet. I would have been hurt. You guys can consider this a sort of pre-release since I knew their were a few problems with it, but they will be fixed the best I can.

MDI

#13  November 23, 2008, 08:52:05 pm
    • mugen.yolasite.com/stages.php
Double Res CVS2 stages for Mugen....

:o

HAPPINESS!
ey
#14  November 23, 2008, 11:35:27 pm
Holy shit Drex awesome release. Looks hella nice up close in Mugen. Good job dude.
#15  November 24, 2008, 12:13:18 am
  • Still in Prison...
wow...for a first stage its really, REALLY good!! ~downloads~ :sugoi: :sugoi:

Been Through Worse....
#16  November 24, 2008, 12:21:44 am
  • Pretending to know Japanese is stupid.
    • www.sevenhertz.net/
This stage is gorgeous.  Very nice!
Check me out.

Naruto sucks.
#17  November 24, 2008, 12:44:32 am
  • Whoyaa!
Sweet sweet sweet! Finally! I've been wanting a 3-D version of this stage for the longest time! Drex your the man, looks awesome!  And thanks Mackx for helping, I know your the king for 3-D stages!
#18  November 24, 2008, 02:26:40 am
wow this is just wow

i dont have any issues with it at all good job for ur 1st stage man ;)

Sig by TempesT :)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

SNT

#19  November 24, 2008, 07:06:25 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
You know, I've never noticed that was Elena in the background of the day version before...

I'll add more when I get this home and try it out.
#20  November 25, 2008, 02:20:21 pm
    • uglook.net/mugen/
It turns out installing hi-res mugen is a piece of cake (after the maybe-hour of learning curve).

So now, I'd like to say, freaking amazing stage. Major props dude.