YesNoOk

ADX Frontend v2! *RELEASED* (Read 145533 times)

Started by Jesse~, October 15, 2008, 12:00:28 PM
Share this topic:
ADX Frontend v2! *RELEASED*
New #1  October 15, 2008, 12:00:28 PM
  • ADX Encoder Frontend Developer
Hello all!

If any of you remember about 2 years ago, maybe a bit more, I was working on the ADX Encoder Frontend, which I ended leaving at v1.1 and quite unfinished.  Well, I polished my skills quite a bit on the software development program I was using and FINALLY I can bring you the changes you asked for and a new interface that won't blind you or make you turn away screaming for some sort of salvation!  :P

After a couple of years in "WIP status", it's now been given a violent shove into a stable (I think) status with better features.  Here's what's different and new:

GUI:
-Text is updated to reflect new program changes (ex., Source File: is now WAV File:)
-Fonts have been changed to Tahoma 10pt for better clarity
-Buttons are larger
-Old Output File: edit box is now gone (it is no longer needed)

Features:
-New Open function lets you open the WAV file you want without having to type it in anymore
-Saving and Loading of loop points in *.lp format (can be edited in any text editor)

Here's a screenshot of the new program:

As you can see, it's different from my old one, if it's still being used at all.  If not, I can try to provide a screenshot of what the old one looks like for comparison.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

EDIT: - information updated as of April 3rd, 2011

WOW!  It's been a while, hasn't it?  Now it's 2011 and people are still using my frontend.  I'm proud people still find it useful.  I came back on here to help others with some troubles I have seen posted on the YouTube video tutorial and perhaps some that think this is all done with completely.  I plan on doing a re-write to add some "minor" functionality, but nothing promised. :p

Q: I press the encoding button but nothing happens/pop-up flashes and nothing happens!
A: This can be attributed to two things.  You either don't have the adxencd.exe file in the same folder as the frontend or the music you're trying to convert is in or is being output to a folder that contains spaces.  The encoder itself can't handle folders/directories with spaces in them due to the limitations of the DOS file system and functions.  I know that in Windows XP - Windows 7 you can see full directories in the Command Prompt, but please remember that it's not real DOS anymore.  DOS "Real Mode" died out in Windows 98.  WinXP and above use a virtual system and thus they can make it do as they wish, except be fully compatible with older DOS programs and viewing habits.

In short: Make sure the WAV and ADX files are in folders and being saved to folders that have NO spaces.  Underscores work just fine.

Q: *Anti-Virus* program has declared viruses in the program!  This seems sketchy! >_>;
A: False positive.  To be honest, this program was created in a program called Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer and I don't see why it'd be showing false positives.  To get the program to run/to be extracted onto your PC, simply add an exception.  If you think this is more trouble than it's worth, submit a report of a false positive or don't use it.  The encoder can still be used without the frontend, it's just a pain to type out all those commands into the Command Prompt.  If you submit a report for a false positive and they find there is a virus (an actual one), then I can try to add a virus-free version, which is the one I use, but it's the same one everyone else has been using.  My developer version was lost quite some time ago after some major HDD failure.

Q: When I encode my WAV to ADX, the loop points sound horrible/are off!
A: Remember, you're encoding using samples for precision instead of decimal-based time.  Also, conversion from 16-bit to 8-bit can cause loop point changing as well as down/upsampling your WAv files before saving and encoding.  Make sure your loop points are just the way you want them.  Another thing is to leave at least 32 samples after the end loop point.  Some music (I don't know why) has clicking and popping noises at the end loop if the loop ends right at the cut off point.  Happened to me a lot during initial testing of the frontend.

Q: My encoded ADX is really loud and just one big thing of static!  What happened!?
A: You're probably trying to convert a 32bit or 24bit WAV file.  That is a big no-no.  The program was made to work with files at a range from 8khz - 48Khz and at either 16bit or 8bit quality.  This is not an issue with the frontend, but rather an issue with the way ADX files are made.  Blame CRI Middleware for that.

Q: My ADX files won't play at all in MUGEN!
A: I've just recently found out about 1.0 (I was gone from the MUGEN scene for a long time) and I don't know if Winamp plugins still work, but if they do, grab the latest version of vgmstream since in_cube is now obsolete.  It should also fix issues with loop points sounding off if you did everything right.  Seems the old in_cube plugin was rather buggy and although vgmstream is still not completely bug-free, it fixes a lot of bugs that were in in_cube.

I hope this helps others that are still using this.  Thanks for your continued support by using the frontend!

- EDIT edit...lol? - Okay, so I've found out that there is no longer a need for ADX files in 1.0 due to in-engine BGM looping of WAV/MP3/OGG files without the need to convert to a WAV and then an ADX file.  This has many advantages over ADX, such as:

• No need for conversion of MP3/OGG to WAV, then to ADX
  • MUCH smaller filesizes (from 20+ MB to 1-5 MB instead)
  • You choose the quality of music being used

It seems they are using the same method of looping, which is using samples, not decimal-based time.  Instead of typing copy/pasting the samples into the converter, just put them into the stage defs in the music section.

Although it saddens me to know that this measure effectively puts my frontend out of business, it's great to see that this functionality is now integrated directly into the engine itself, which makes me happy.  If anyone needs help with the frontend for the use of ADX files in other things (or perhaps for WinMUGEN, for those that have not upgraded), then I'll be glad to help out in any way I can until no one needs it anymore.  Only at that time will I have this thread locked.  Thanks again to everyone for their support during the creation of the program.  I really appreciated it. :)

Jesse~
ADX Encoder Frontend - Making ADX encoding easier!
Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:36:38 AM by Jesse~
Re: ADX Frontend v2!
#2  October 15, 2008, 02:35:08 PM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Well this certainly looks refreshing!

...and with HankVenture working on a massive ADX archive this will sure come in handy for a lot of people.

I have Windows XP, send it my way.

apoklepz@gmail.com

I'll provide feedback as soon as I can.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:38:42 PM by MaxBeta
#3  October 15, 2008, 04:08:20 PM
  • I Am Better Than You!
This may sound stupid and all because I am still a noob at this but what is this for and what does it do? ;D
#4  October 15, 2008, 04:29:20 PM
Pretty awesome since adx is much better than mp3 :D

I have Win98SE and XP SP1(lol)

lett@gmx.at
#5  October 15, 2008, 04:34:36 PM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
This may sound stupid and all because I am still a noob at this but what is this for and what does it do? ;D

What this program does is it converts your WAV sound/music files to ADX format...The BEST compatible music format for Mugen stages, because they play flawlessly and loop correctly without making Mugen skip (curses friggin mp3 plugin :P). This program will convert your WAVs to ADX and allow you to set the looping point.

It's never considered stupid or noobish to ask/look for information, my friend...otherwise information would never be acquired. ;)

BTW, Can't wait to get my hands on this!!!
It should be a real a time saver compared to the various programs method HankVenture uses. This will actually be really helpful to him as well.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:40:32 PM by MaxBeta
#6  October 15, 2008, 09:27:14 PM
So far the thing is working great in Windows XP 32-bit so far. I'll be testing it out in Vista 64-bit later. I like this little app, takes all the tediousness of the DOS counterpart away. And I like that.
#7  October 15, 2008, 09:58:28 PM
Glad to see you like it and that it's working great in XP 32-Bit.

@Lett1, good thing you have Win98SE.  That helps tons.  I'll be sending you a link to a file host that has it since sending by email will just be tedious. :P

@MaxBeta, I will be sending it over to you for further XP testing.

BTW guys, I'll be adding new features later on, but for now, it will just work for you and I'd still like a new interface, or at least one that has a bit more to offer, yet still simplistic.

Anyway guys, expect those links real soon.

Jesse~
#8  October 16, 2008, 01:27:53 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to point out something to my testers.

If you use my program and it's not converting anything it's because you need to have adxencd.exe in the same folder as the frontend program.  IF you don't have that and need it, here's a link to the program:

http://files.filefront.com/ADX+Converter/;3852400;/fileinfo.html

That leads to adxencd.exe on FileFront.  Thanks guys!  ;)

Jesse~
#9  October 16, 2008, 02:24:11 AM
  • :)
    • www.freewebs.com/mvcsnk/
I have Windows XP 64 bit. This sounds (pun not intended) good, so send it over here!
matthew1122@gmail.com
Doesn't accept yahoo, sorry.
#10  October 16, 2008, 02:45:38 AM
I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit and I have a couple of track I'd like to convert.

V*switch*V
Yahoo [at] Drex015 [dot] com

Brand new address I'm not taking any chances.
#11  October 16, 2008, 04:09:46 AM
  • Runnin' Down A Dream
    • USA
Question. Will ADX files skip due to hardware acceleration like mp3 and ogg do when the assertspecial of nomusic comes into play?
#12  October 16, 2008, 04:29:19 AM
Like when during a special intro and the music plays for a split second as the stage loads?

In my experience, no.
Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:11:56 AM by Drex
#13  October 16, 2008, 05:15:33 AM
  • Runnin' Down A Dream
    • USA
Alright then, I'll give this a try.
#14  October 16, 2008, 06:39:08 AM
UPDATE!

Okay, I have enough Windows XP 32-Bit, Vista 32-Bit and Vista 64-Bit testers.  I still need the following:

Windows XP 64-Bit
Windows 98 SE (One more user)
Windows 2000

If I can get these testers soon, the program will be out sooner.  If not, well I'll just release with a stated warning that it may not run on on those systems well or at all.

Expected release date is November 1st, beginning of next month.  Everything will be polished up for the end user and it will be ready to go.

Thanks for all who are participating!

Jesse~
#15  October 16, 2008, 08:43:00 AM
How does one know where to set loop points with just a .wav file?
#16  October 16, 2008, 08:52:50 AM
  • Always seeking perfection...
    • animeneo.deviantart.com/
looks like a grate tool! :sugoi: does this come with plugins so that mugen will play the ADX?
#17  October 16, 2008, 12:05:10 PM
How does one know where to set loop points with just a .wav file?

See, in order to set the loop points, you have to put the music into an audio editor and make your loop there and then just grab the "wave samples" that represent the loop you found and input those into the program.

Um, I know it's confusing, so I'll reference an old thread where we talked about it:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=35553.0

That's the thread that even got me into making this program.  The thread is old, yes, but it's very useful.

looks like a grate tool! :sugoi: does this come with plugins so that mugen will play the ADX?

My frontend only makes using the MS-DOS ADX encoder easier to use with a nice little GUI.  Still lacking the "batch functionality" that a regular old *.BAT file can do, but I'm getting there.  First things first and that's releasing a working copy that is stable and works on as many of Microsoft's "good" systems as possible, thus the need for testers.

If you need the plugin that plays ADX files for MUGEN, go here:

http://www.hcs64.com/in_cube.html

Grab version 0.38 as it's the most stable version to date.

I'm also going to include a manual for my program with tips on making ADX files from the MP3/OGG, to the audio program to the ADX using the program!

Jesse~
Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:34:34 PM by Jesse~
#18  October 16, 2008, 02:49:25 PM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
It works great on Windows XP. good stuff.

Now, can somebody tell me what program I can play my ADX files with on my PC? or even better, is there a Windows Media player or VLC Player plugin that'll allow me to play them?

Kudos on your program...Now all we need is a program that'll allow you to edit the script for each stage on the fly to point to the ADX files, like Stage Viewer...but just because Stage Viewer doesn't recognize ADX  :P

#19  October 16, 2008, 08:24:42 PM
in_cube.dll works on both Winamp and XMPlay and was designed to work on Winamp.

I'm working on converting as many pieces of music for Smash Bros Melee to ADX for my own listening pleasure. ;)

Jesse~
#20  October 16, 2008, 09:08:07 PM
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
Why is the source file have to be WAV? Most of my songs are in mp3 format. There isn't an option to use mp3 as a source file first before converting it to adx?

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#21  October 16, 2008, 10:04:52 PM
Yes, it would be nice, if you could add mp3 support for the final release, because surely most people have their music in this format.
#22  October 16, 2008, 10:35:08 PM
There isn't much he can do short of making his own actual conversion program. Also it doesn't take much effort to turn MP3s into .wav files. I do it all the time for my releases.
#23  October 16, 2008, 11:20:54 PM
Ya. Unless I get a program to convert MP3s to WAV's, I'm afraid I can't do anything.
#24  October 16, 2008, 11:23:59 PM
Here's the reason, cut and dry.

My program only makes it so that you can run adxencd.exe (which is a DOS program) a lot easier.  Without this, you are stuck to having to type out everything you want per file, like this:

Code:
adxencd file.wav file.adx -lps 12345 -lpe 123456

Trust me that when you are converting a lot of these files, it can become VERY tedious.

Also, because it only runs adxencd.exe for you, you should know that that the reason it would only accept WAV files is because that's what adxencd.exe accepts.  It will only accept WAV files.

Now, later on, hopefully soon as finals are coming up next week for me, I can TRY and include an MP3 to WAV converter that uses a command-line so it can be run before the conversion starts, but it's a long shot at the moment.  I'll be doing some searching for decent or good MP3 to WAV converters that I can have my frontend run, but don't get your hopes too high on that.

On a final note, I'd like my testers to start letting me know if they have found any bugs, aside from missing help documentation.  Please email me your findings at mmf2dever [at] gmail [dot] com so we don't spam up this thread.

Thanks all!

Quick Edit:
Ya. Unless I get a program to convert MP3s to WAV's, I'm afraid I can't do anything.

A good program that can do that for free is Audacity.

Check that out for finding loops and converting MP3 to WAV.

ANOTHER THING you should know!  Loops are not based on play time but rather by wavesamples.

Jesse~
Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:28:00 PM by Jesse~
#25  October 17, 2008, 12:08:02 AM
  • \_(-.-)_/
    • USA
An even lazier program to use is for .wav conversion xrecode.
#26  October 17, 2008, 05:09:14 AM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Well yes, he already mentioned Audacity which I personally use a lot...but there's also a program called LamedropXPd that'll batch convert a ton of MP3 into WAV...You could do your whole mugen sound file in about an hour. I did yesterday, and it was over 325 MP3.

All you need to do is run it and drop all your shit in it...the wav files will be saved in the same folder your mp3s came from. Simple as eating cake, and the quality is tops  ;)
#27  October 17, 2008, 05:55:04 AM
Well I finished doing about 5 tracks in Windows Vista 64-bit and I have had no issues. The only thing that bugs me is that Vista demands administrative rights but that is just a Vista flaw. So far everything is good.
#28  October 17, 2008, 07:06:02 AM
Yes, I can make it so that it doesn't ask for administrative rights, but you lose the ability to create saved loop files, thus the "Save Loop" function becomes useless.  You can still make one yourself and load it, but I don't think you want to just make a text-based loop file every time you wanna load your loop points in case of a mistake, such as accidentally encoding a 32-Bit WAV and hearing nothing but static! lol

That issue should not be present in any earlier version of Windows as the user is usually the admin anyway.

Jesse~
#29  October 17, 2008, 07:42:09 AM
Yes, I can make it so that it doesn't ask for administrative rights, but you lose the ability to create saved loop files, thus the "Save Loop" function becomes useless.  You can still make one yourself and load it, but I don't think you want to just make a text-based loop file every time you wanna load your loop points in case of a mistake, such as accidentally encoding a 32-Bit WAV and hearing nothing but static! lol

That issue should not be present in any earlier version of Windows as the user is usually the admin anyway.

Jesse~

Oh, no, I was just showing my detest of Vista. In no way was it an issue or complaint against the program.
#30  October 17, 2008, 08:46:01 AM
Succsesfully converted 368 MP3 Files. Tested half of em in MUGEN, ALL WORK FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!
All I ask is for the program to accept MP3 files, if that's possible.
BTW, I had 64-bit Windows XP, so... that's why my post matters. ;P
#31  October 17, 2008, 11:46:50 AM
Like I said in my previous post, I can make the frontend accept MP3's, but adxencd.exe itself won't.  Since I didn't make adxencd.exe, I can't change that.  It's mostly about limitations of adxencd.exe and not my frontend.  Maybe in time I will make my very own ADX encoder just like CRI did, but only time will tell.

Also, VERY good to know that it's working wonderfully on XP 64-Bit!

Jesse~
#32  October 18, 2008, 09:41:42 AM
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
There isn't much he can do short of making his own actual conversion program. Also it doesn't take much effort to turn MP3s into .wav files. I do it all the time for my releases.

Pipe it into another program to create it to a wave. Store it to a temporary location and then create the ADX.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#33  October 18, 2008, 10:17:30 AM
Again, like I said, it doesn't take much time or effort to convert MP3s to .wav files. Get/use a separate program yourself. Also, there is some editing required to make loops in the first place so just converting an MP3 to a .wav won't solve all of your problems anyway. So really, him implementing a MP3 to .wav system would be kind of a moot point.
#34  October 18, 2008, 10:21:38 AM
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
Again, like I said, it doesn't take much time or effort to convert MP3s to .wav files. Get/use a separate program yourself. Also, there is some editing required to make loops in the first place so just converting an MP3 to a .wav won't solve all of your problems anyway. So really, him implementing a MP3 to .wav system would be kind of a moot point.

True. But pseudocode-wise it is very doable, but not necessarily needed.

The tone of the thread makes it seem as if it is impossible, which it isn't.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#35  October 18, 2008, 04:08:27 PM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
LamedropXPd....Google it, it's freeware.

MP3 to Wav or Wav to MP3  ... Awesome Quality Results!

1 - Start Program. You will see a small window open.

2 - Select all your the files you want to convert.

3 - Drag and drop your files into the small program window.

4 - Go watch a movie, get coffeee, or get laid...or whatever your choice of killing time is. Just do that.

5 - Come back to your computer. Your converted files will be in the same folder you grabbed the original files from.

Simple as Cake...and like I said before, for 365 MP3s that I had all it took was around 1 Hour.

He doesn't need to add anything else to this program. It's good to go.

#36  October 19, 2008, 04:59:32 AM
Only tried one using Vista 32-bit. The looping didn't work out for some reason probably from my own error. I tried it without looping and and it plays fine in Winamp though in mugen it skips around a lot. The encoder itself is likely at fault for this since the same happens to me with a few of HankVenture's adx creations. Does this happen for anyone else?

Adx music ripped directly from games like CvS2 or SFIII work perfectly every time in my mugen.
#37  October 19, 2008, 05:52:20 AM
Only tried one using Vista 32-bit. The looping didn't work out for some reason probably from my own error. I tried it without looping and and it plays fine in Winamp though in mugen it skips around a lot. The encoder itself is likely at fault for this since the same happens to me with a few of HankVenture's adx creations. Does this happen for anyone else?

Adx music ripped directly from games like CvS2 or SFIII work perfectly every time in my mugen.
Actually I have problems like that too but it's only in MUGEN. I think it the In_Cube.dll not cooperating well with MUGEN. Any other player works out fine, both ADX play and Winamp. Honestly it's a shame since I have certain tracks that have intros I really dig and they skip like the first second to second and a half of music. I may start inserting some dead space in my tracks from here on out just to avoid it altogether rather than chance it.
#38  October 22, 2008, 12:50:54 AM
All beta testers!

I need results now.

If you have found any bugs with the frontend, please let me know on here.  If not, just post that it's good to go and I'll polish it up and release set the full release date for Nov 1st.

Thanks everyone for helping!

Jesse~
#39  October 22, 2008, 01:02:46 AM
I've logged in some use on both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit and have not run into any problems so far. From my end I would say that you're good to go.
#40  October 22, 2008, 04:16:41 AM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Okay, I tested it today at work which as far as I know has Windows XP also...but everytime I hit convert the DOS window would come on screen for a split second and it wouldn't convert anything at all. I tried restarting the computer and got the same results. this was on Win XP ...Hank mentioned it works fine on Win XP 32, and I too can verify this.
#41  October 22, 2008, 04:20:00 AM
Well there is one thing that can could be an issue that I am able to think of at the moment. If your file names have spaces in them adxencd won't convert them. Try renaming your file using no spaces (I'm not sure it underscores work, I'll try that later) and see how that turns out.
#42  October 22, 2008, 04:31:33 AM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Well, check it out...It used to be working fine at my Home Windows XP computer and now it's not. :S

I have both the APP and adxencd.exe in my desktop inside a folder called ADX Frontend.

I have no idea as to why it's not working now...I'm simply trying to convert a WAV file called fight.wav and nothing.

at one point the program created a folder simply called "and" but nothings in it. Check it out...properties of the file I'm converting included.

Talk to you guys later...I'm heading out with the booze cruise.
Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:41:51 AM by MaxBeta
#43  October 22, 2008, 04:33:39 PM
@ Hank, yes, underscores work fine.  I use them all the time.

@ MaxBeta, yes, the DOS prompt will show up because the actual conversion is happening in DOS.  As for what's going on, I checked the code and there's nothing weird about it.  Have you been clearing the the info after using it, like pressing the Clear button?

I tried to replicate what's going on with you, but I converted my own fight.wav, same file details, stereo, 1411 rate, etc and everything went through fine.

Have you restarted your comp and tried again?  Also, I don't see why it would create a folder called and when the frontend isn't making any files unless you tell it to, such as the saved loop points and sending the conversion info to the adxencd.exe program of which there is no "and" in and of the code, so I can't see anything wrong.

If you can, I'd like you to take a video of what's going on.  It would help me out greatly.  Thanks.

Jesse~
#44  October 22, 2008, 06:47:51 PM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Wait a minute....I just remembered I installed Service Pack 3 last night to check out a sprite ripping program that required it.
Maybe this is what's causing all this?

As for a video, I don't have the time to compile one, but here's a step by step of what I'm doing:

1 - I run ADX Frontend.exe and the main window comes up.
2 - I hit Browse and select fight.wav on the same folder as the program.
3 - I check on the Loop box.
4 - I type 00:12 for start loop and 00:38 for stop loop.
5 - I save loop.
6 - I hit CONVERT and I see the DOS prompt window flash onscreen for a split second.
7 - There's no Output file, even after a couple of minutes.
#45  October 23, 2008, 01:26:40 PM
MaxBeta,

Try encoding it without putting in loops for testing.  If that works, then the problem is that your are trying to use playing times for encoding when it needs to be using wave samples as loop points.

In other words, adxencd.exe loops music based on wave samples, like 12345 and 123456 (as an example), not 0:01 and 0:23.  If you only use a WAV to MP3 converter and not using an audio editor, like Adobe Audition, Sound Forge, Audacity, etc., then chances are you won't get to see those wave samples anyway.  Looping ADX music is based on literal precision of where it will start the loop and end the loop.  Using "playback time" is very messy and never accurate.  Wave samples are as precise as you can get and thus why it's used in the encoder.  Also, I'm afraid I would not be able to add a feature that changed playback time to wave samples as they vary per "millisecond" based on bitrate.

Is your brain hurting yet? :p

So my point being that ADX encoding it not for the average user but for those that use audio editing software and know about precision sampling and looping.  ADX encoding isn't for just anyone I'm afraid. :/

Now, if it STILL doesn't work even after not using the looping option, then I'd have to ask if anyone else using Service Pack 3 is having the same problem.

Thanks guys!

Jesse~
#46  October 24, 2008, 08:08:59 AM
Will this baby be able to convert more than one Wav file at a time?I have already converted my MP3's into Wavs and I was looking for something to turn my Wavs into ADX.Then I found this topic and I was like  :o Anyway is it capable of doing more than one wave file at a time?
#47  October 24, 2008, 08:13:53 AM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Will this baby be able to convert more than one Wav file at a time?I have already converted my MP3's into Wavs and I was looking for something to turn my Wavs into ADX.Then I found this topic and I was like  :o Anyway is it capable of doing more than one wave file at a time?

Not yet implemented. One file conversion for now.

@ Jesse~:

Ok, sounds good...However I have tried converting without setting loops but I get nothing...Listen, nevermind....I think it's my Anti-virus, it doesn't like certain exe files. Your program did work at some point for me, just not anymore...I'll try to figure out what's going on before I post next.
Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:17:44 AM by MaxBeta
#48  October 24, 2008, 08:16:30 AM

Not yet implemented. One file conversion for now.

What about the looping?Can it loop for you or do you do it yourself?
#49  October 24, 2008, 08:19:18 AM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Yes it gives you loops, but you have to set them manually...Read Jesse's last post on this page.
#50  October 24, 2008, 08:28:38 AM
#51  October 24, 2008, 01:37:21 PM
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
November 1st? That long? Damn, I have a bunch of music that could use ADXing...
#52  October 24, 2008, 07:58:59 PM
#53  October 25, 2008, 02:37:46 AM
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
A week is a VERY long time for me (when someone releases me from this time dilation chamber, that might change).

EDIT: Didn't know it was the 24th already. Sorry :P.
#54  October 25, 2008, 06:42:18 AM
A week is a VERY long time for me (when someone releases me from this time dilation chamber, that might change).

EDIT: Didn't know it was the 24th already. Sorry :P.

You must been one impatient guy if a week kills you.
#55  October 25, 2008, 06:57:24 AM
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
the irony
#56  October 25, 2008, 04:28:11 PM
It's good to see people excited about this program's return from obscurity.

Yes, for the moment, only one file at a time, but that will change.  The biggest problem with batch conversion that I can see is loop points per file.  Might either be too much of a hassle to implement or if I can implement batch conversion, I think it would only be for loopless ADX files, but I won't say for sure whether or not any of this is 100% at the moment.  The program I am using to make the frontend is still kinda "new" to me in regards that I still don't know how to do certain things on it, but I am trying new things all the time with it and plan on getting my skills much better to make even better programs and the such.

MAYBE one day I'll make something that will let you tinker with the .DEF files that MUGEN uses, but I'm not sure on that either as that's still a ways away.  Hell, by that time, I'll actually be using code instead of a program to create my stuff and thus it will be possible anyway. :P

Now, let me clarify in case anyone is confused.

At the moment, I am not a "programmer" per say.  I am using a very powerful game maker/application designer called Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer to create the frontend with great results, but seeing as I am a bit limited in my skills with using the program, there are still some things I can't do with it.  As I learn the program more and how you can do this and that to produce that and this, I'll be able to implement more features you guys would like.

Be that as it may, I am currently enrolled at DeVry to become a game programmer/application developer so either way, programming using code will come to me when I've finally gotten better with it and actually learned how.  And when the time comes, I'll convert my current frontend to C++ (or whichever language is best for it) and it will be even better!

Final note, the reason I set the date for Nov. 1 is because I wanted to make sure that the program is bug-free, which in MaxBeta's case, there is something wrong.

@MaxBeta, it could very well be the anti-virus program, but one good way to tell would be to open a DOS prompt and run the encoder on it's own.  If it gives you some error or it just doesn't work at all, then your anti-virus program has deemed it a hostile program and has probably wiped it making it inoperable.

Erm, funny thing that happens when you're thinking about the problem after you've had a few sleepless nights due to trying to get back  into a good sleep schedule.  Here's a question for you MaxBeta.

The folder that your music is in...does it happen to have spaces in the name?

Remember, spaces are the encoder's worst enemy.  adxencd.exe is from the old DOS era so it doesn't like folders with spaces in the name.  If that's he case, move your music to a different folder or replace the spaced area with an underscore and you SHOULD be set.

If that doesn't work, try these steps to determine if your anti-virus has messed up axdencd.exe:

1.) Open Command Prompt
2.) Navigate to the folder with the encoder
     -Use cd foldername to open that folder and cd\ to make the command prompt take you to the front of the drive or [C:\] then
     navigate using cd
3.) Run the encoder by typing adxencd.exe

You SHOULD see this:
Code:
||||||||||||   ADX Audio decompression tool Ver.4.61    ||||||||||
Software Audio Encoder for "CRI ADX FreeWare     "     1999-07-16
             1996-1999 CRI

Usage: adxencd <Input PCM File> [Output Dir] [Options]
<PARAMETER>
        Input  PCM File : Input audio data file [.wav|.aif]
        Output Dir|FIle : ADX output directory or file
                          'File' should be specified extention[.adx]
<OPTIONS>
        -sf<sfreq>      : Sampling freq. for compression [Hz] def=same as input
        -ch<mode>       : Audio data channel  def=not specified
                          0=Left  1=Right  2=L/R exchange  3=(L+R)/2(MONO)
        -lmsec<msec>    : Compression data size [msec] def=input data size
        -lcof<freq>     : CutOff freq. for down-sampling LPF [Hz] def=Auto
        -ldim<dim>      : Down-sampling LPF dimension
        -lps<pos>       : Loop start position [smpl]
        -lpe<pos>       : Loop end position [smpl]

If you don't, then your anti-virus has screwed with the encoder.  If you do see this and your folder doesn't have any spaces in it, then I'll try testing this on my mothers PC when I hear back from you since hers is Windows XP Home with SP3.

Jesse~
#57  October 25, 2008, 05:09:04 PM
I finally got to try this thing out:

THIS IS MADE OUT OF WIN

this is the most awesome file format i have ever seen!
Works fine on XP SP1 and 98SE.(not on 3.1 though)
Does not lag nor skip.No errors or such.

Suggestion: Some sort of On-the-fly conversion like the xViD Converter.

This could be a new MUGEN standart, i suggest to link to this in μChan.
#58  October 25, 2008, 05:22:00 PM
Sorry for the late input on the matter but my XP is also Service Pack 3 and I have yet to experience any problems that weren't somehow caused by user error.
Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 05:44:16 PM by HankVenture
#59  October 25, 2008, 05:53:14 PM
No i meant WIN3.1 (yeah that old thing) since ur tool is just a frontend i tried if it could work but it didnt.
#60  October 25, 2008, 07:30:42 PM
Suggestion: Some sort of On-the-fly conversion like the xViD Converter.

Wish I could, but since I didn't develop adxencd.exe and since I can't write code for a shell extension, I don't think that'll be possible til I start learning to actually program using code instead of a powerful application builder.  It COULD be possible, but I'd have to look into it.

No i meant WIN3.1 (yeah that old thing) since ur tool is just a frontend i tried if it could work but it didnt.

Yeah, the program I'm using to create the frontend only builds applications and games for use with anything Win9x and higher.  I don't know if it would work in Windows 95 and I doubt many people that will be churning out ADX files would be using that OS, but if anyone DOES have it, then I'd be more than happy to add them to my list of testers.

Sorry for the late input on the matter but my XP is also Service Pack 3 and I have yet to experience any problems that weren't somehow caused by user error.

Sounds like the problem is on his end then.  He should try out the suggestions I posted and see what comes of it.  Thanks Hank!
#61  October 26, 2008, 02:09:34 AM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Hey all,

Like I explained earlier, this is all I keep getting:

You can see I've moved the files to my desktop, and I'm still not getting a converted file. I've also allowed permissions to both executables as "SAFE" apps on my anti-virus, so I can scratch that issue off the list...Wether this really is a compatibility issue with service pack 3 or not, I guess will have to wait and see when you try it out.
#62  October 26, 2008, 07:58:23 AM
There's your answer!

"Documents and Settings" folder is not letting you convert.

Do this.

Create a new folder under your C: Drive called ADX and put your music in there.  Convert.  Everything should run just fine.

As I explained, the encoder hates spaces in folders so anytime it sees spaces, it goes nuts and starts asking if you want to create a directory instead.

A good example of what is accepted by the encoder is this:

Code:
C:\Music\ADX\Sources

A good example of what is not accepted:

Code:
C:\Music Stuff\ADX\Sources

Again, this is an encoder limitation, not the frontend, so really, there's nothing that I can do about that at the moment.  At least now I figured out what was going on.  That should help you MaxBeta.

That screenshot explained everything to me.

Alrighty then, I'm off.  Good night folks.

Jesse~
#63  October 26, 2008, 09:12:06 PM
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
Fuck me...it worked ;P Now I know why it worked before....I was running it from the root of my USB drive.

Thanks for baring with my clumsiness, man. You have a great app in your hands, and I'm glad I could be part of the testing, even as annoying as I was.

I look forward to your improvements on it.

Peace Out.
#64  October 26, 2008, 10:42:56 PM
Oh, it's not a problem.  Personally, though, I have not heard back from some of the other testers, so I assume they just grabbed the program and ran.  So you needing help was not annoying in the least.  I am here to help just as you help me by testing.

Jesse~
#65  November 01, 2008, 11:53:05 AM
Check the first post, it's ready!

Jesse~
Re: ADX Frontend v2! *RELEASED*
#66  November 01, 2008, 04:10:11 PM
Congratulations on an AWESOME program! Glad you could get all your testing done in such a short time, man. I'm not to this point in my M.U.G.E.N. creating yet, but when I get there.. I'm definately getting this. Nice work, man. Very nice.
#67  November 01, 2008, 04:21:41 PM
Thanks.  I'm really happy to have it released finally for the public.  I guess I should make an addition to my initial post.

Jesse~
#68  November 01, 2008, 11:13:27 PM
  • STOP PUTTING SPACES IN YOUR FILE NAMES
    • Canada
Just wondering but, wats the starting and ending loop points (in salmples) for?
#69  November 02, 2008, 12:12:26 AM
That is used for looping.  Looping an ADX can not be done without them.  ADX files do not loop using play time but rather wave samples.

Here's a link to an old thread started by an older member who hasn't been on in months, but because of it, we were able to explain looping to the general public.  Until I can make a tutorial for looping ADX files, that will have to do for now.

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=35553.0

Jesse~
#70  November 02, 2008, 01:04:28 AM
    • Canada
Ok so is this what it does? (not trying to sound like an idiot.)

it first starts out with the intro music, then it plays the loop and continuasly plays it and does not play the intro music ever again.

is that what happens?

P.S. do you still have to use the MS-DOS Prompt (Even with WinXP; Command-Line in WinXP) ?
#71  November 02, 2008, 01:59:18 AM
You've pretty much go it down my friend.  If you choose music that loops, either from the beginning to the end of the loop, or somewhere in the middle to the end, everything before the start loop will only be played once and never again until the music is restarted/replayed.

Also, you don't have to touch the DOS prompt at all when using the frontend.  That's why it's there! :D

Jesse~
#72  November 02, 2008, 02:59:01 AM
    • Canada
Ok thanx I got it now, I hope It'll suport mp3 and ogg files some day.  ;)

Good luck.

Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:29:02 AM by vgmaster2.0
#73  November 14, 2008, 10:53:05 PM
  • RISSSSSSIIIIINNNNGGGGG TACO!!!
    • USA
Ok so I decided to try this out I Have Windows XP Service Pack 3
I did everything as told I Converted my Wave file to ADX I placed my Adx file in My Mugen but it sounds all crazy it skips like crazy I didn't use loops I was just testing it since I'm not so sure how to use the looping part??
Some help would be appreciated....?
#74  November 15, 2008, 11:31:37 AM
#75  November 24, 2008, 12:58:33 AM
#76  November 24, 2008, 02:37:15 AM
I tried the ADX files and they worked, but two weeks later I reformatted and installed Mugen, But the ADX files dont work anymore they dont play at all, I even have the plugin installed and Mugen.cfg Added
#77  December 23, 2008, 04:55:22 AM
    • www.freewebs.com/kiryuken/
Sorry for bumping. I used your Frontend and it worked, but it seems the volume of my music has decreased. Is there some way to increase it?
#78  December 30, 2008, 01:11:18 AM
  • "Sesshin and Toshin, nealy identical blades..."
I'm using vista and the frontend is not working, I did everything you said in the documentation but it comes up with an error, something about something being illegal...

the adxencd.exe works because when I drag a wav file on to it, it auto encodes it (without loop of course)

Is there something I'm doing that I missed?
"You will feel the agony of my clan."
-An unknown kunoichi...
#79  December 30, 2008, 08:44:31 AM
  • Don't care if it's a sword or an egg, put it down!
    • www.youtube.com/profile?user=CandoraAuthes
Weird...it loops from the beginning, but not where I want it to...is there a difference if you convert to WAV with Audacity? And would this work if you want the loop to start somewhere in the middle of the song, but start at the beginning, and will hit the starting loop point when the ending loop point comes up, causing an infinite play? ...do you get it?
Beginning(Start)---->Starting Loop(Continue)----->Ending Loop(Go to Starting Loop)

But it works great. Just wish the adxencd was actually included with the download =/
The Answer to the Ultimate Question:

For rare M.U.G.E.N. characters, click here.
#80  December 31, 2008, 10:51:09 PM
  • "Sesshin and Toshin, nealy identical blades..."
I don't use this for my adx files, I use CRI Tools, You can convert all Wav's at one time and the volume doesn't mess up either. I did use this at first but it caused me a lot of hassle and I had to find something else.
"You will feel the agony of my clan."
-An unknown kunoichi...
#81  January 03, 2009, 11:44:41 AM
I don't use this for my adx files, I use CRI Tools, You can convert all Wav's at one time and the volume doesn't mess up either. I did use this at first but it caused me a lot of hassle and I had to find something else.

Where can we find this 'CRI Tool'?
Sorry, but I do a poor google search.
Monkey D. Luffy 25%
#82  February 11, 2009, 10:42:09 AM
Hey everyone.

Sorry for not saying much for a while.  I was quite busy.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.  If you guys are still having problems with the frontend, please let me know the exact issue so I can look into it and put out a new version or provide you with the necessary files for it.

Jesse~
#83  February 11, 2009, 12:31:23 PM
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
I made an ADX out of a 22050 Hz WAV file, and part of it (where the loops are) is silent when played outside of Mugen. Also, Mugen won't play it.
#84  February 11, 2009, 07:29:00 PM
Sounds like either an encoder issue or a loop point issue, not a front end issue.  Nonetheless, if you can send me the WAV file and the ADX that you made, I can see what's wrong.

Jesse~
#85  February 12, 2009, 05:57:23 AM
Thanks! I just learned about the capabilities of ADX files myself a few days ago and downloaded AST's of random Dreamcast games to put on my computer. ADX is a pretty cool file extension.

You rock! Now I'll be able to loop my favorite tracks as if they were official!!!!
#86  February 12, 2009, 10:33:19 AM
Thanks! ^_^

Mind you, I only made a program that would make it much easier to encode the ADX's using CRI Middleware's ADX encoder.  I'm just glad it can help people to make ADX's easier than it was before.

Jesse~
#87  April 04, 2011, 07:53:46 AM
It's me again.  I've updated the first post to include some information that should have been added a long time ago, however I spaced it.  Anyway, the program is still up for grabs, updated info and information about an updated Winamp plugin is available as well.  Thanks to all still using it!

Jesse~