YesNoOk

Is Infinite Combos bad game design? (Read 4642 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, June 29, 2022, 03:24:23 am
Share this topic:
Is Infinite Combos bad game design?
#1  June 29, 2022, 03:24:23 am
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
Infinite combos as we all know are combos that can be extended indefinitely. They are oversights in certain moves due to frame data but developers have taken measures against them including mechanics like damage scaling and resets.

The PS2 Hokuto no Ken fighting game by ArcSystem Works is infamous for its abundance of infinite combos and is considered "kusoge" despite having a decent competitive following in Japan.
Re: Is Infinite Combos bad game design?
#2  June 29, 2022, 05:58:48 pm
  • Gaming Content Creator
  • Nobody Exists
    • Bangladesh
    • aumiokhan@yahoo.com
FG HNK gameplay is made like that just to represent the vibe of the HNK animation fight. They just punch without taking a single break and finish the task completely.
Omae Wa Mou Sindereu.
Otherwise, I didn't see any other game with such an infinite combo. MVC series have a lengthy combo tho.
Sig 1: I am nobody... Neither you... We won't be any matter just after a few years later when we die. Enjoy the happiness and sadness for now.

Sig 2: When someone or, a bunch of people makes fun of you. The total time they invested in making fun of you, is the time they couldn't manage to stay focused on their work or, development. If you care about them, let them know. If you don't, then don't bother. Stay focused on your own business.

Sig 3: You did a mistake and then you simply admit it after realizing your fault. This is one of the coolest things ever you can do in your lifetime.
#3  June 29, 2022, 11:31:55 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Well, yeah. People will tolerate them in subjective degrees but I don't think anyone would call them good design.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#4  June 30, 2022, 02:29:03 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Yes. It's bad gameplay design. Doesn't mean it's not entertaining. It does get boring seeing TOD combos 50 times but its up to some players to find strategies against them.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#5  June 30, 2022, 03:37:40 am
    • Brazil
I mean, its kinda obvious, isn't it? Infinite combos don't allow the one receiving them to react, meaning that they're guaranteed to lose the match to one combo. Of course they're bad design, at least when its intentional and there is no way to interrupt them.