YesNoOk

"Debate on Violent Video Games May Finally Get Settled." Once and for all. (Read 7335 times)

Started by #Shaun, October 01, 2009, 02:38:08 am
Share this topic:
"Debate on Violent Video Games May Finally Get Settled." Once and for all.
#1  October 01, 2009, 02:38:08 am
  • corner push pusher
Final Round: the Supreme Court

If you give the slightest shit about your rights as a gamer then I suggest you read the article in full and pay attention to the oncoming events that'll soon follow.

SNT

Re: "Debate on Violent Video Games May Finally Get Settled." Once and for all.
#2  October 01, 2009, 02:51:59 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
If you give the slightest shit about your rights as an underage gamer then I suggest you read the article in full and pay attention to the oncoming events that'll soon follow.
They're putting 18+ stickers on videogames, big whoop.  Besides, I guarantee you we have it worse down here.
#3  October 01, 2009, 10:20:55 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I was misled into thinking this would somehow affect all gamers instead of just american gamers. I want my money back.
#4  October 01, 2009, 10:36:43 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
SF4 soon to be banned in the US because hitting on Sumos with chinese girls ain't nice !
#5  October 01, 2009, 02:21:00 pm
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
"By prohibiting the sale of violent video games to children under the age of 18 and requiring these games to be clearly labeled, this law would allow parents to make better informed decisions for their kids,"

Because the M for Mature on the front isn't clear enough.

To be honest, if kids can't go into R rated films I don't see why they should be able to buy, themselves, M rated games.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#6  October 01, 2009, 02:49:04 pm
  • *something witty yeah*
Hah. reminds me of the time I went into EB games for price checking. A little fat kid (and his mother) came in, with the little shit going off at her because she didn't get the name "Grand Theft Auto 4" right.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
[/center]
#7  October 01, 2009, 03:56:02 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
I was misled into thinking this would somehow affect all gamers instead of just american gamers. I want my money back.
Europe already got cheerful green/yellow/red PEGI labels that visually ruin almost every cover.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#8  October 01, 2009, 04:22:29 pm
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
In South America, the only slightly banned game was Carmageddon in Brazil. But I think we'll get real regulations on guns & drugs before videogames. :P
#9  October 01, 2009, 05:04:55 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Huh ! The link posted by Chosis in reply#1 says that even Duke Nukem 3D, Mortal Kombat, GTA, Counter Strike (LOL) and Doom (LOL²) were banned from Brazil because of high impact violence. ;P
#10  October 01, 2009, 05:06:26 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
i like how the crime rate is higher in most countries which have banned violent videogames than those which haven't.
#11  October 01, 2009, 06:46:23 pm
  • Death or Glory.
Huh ! The link posted by Chosis in reply#1 says that even Duke Nukem 3D, Mortal Kombat, GTA, Counter Strike (LOL) and Doom (LOL²) were banned from Brazil because of high impact violence. ;P

Makes me wonder what my life would've been like without Mortal Kombat.
#12  October 01, 2009, 07:30:14 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Meh, nothing ever ends... :-\
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#13  October 01, 2009, 07:42:56 pm
  • I got a PM.

Sorry no money for you. If kids in the states have to get their parents to buy their games, what would the game makers do? Lets see no rating in the 70s good action flicks. Honest ones too Dirty fucking Harry. Sex was ok too.

Then came the eighties. Where they turned Rambo into a ridiculous character based on a moronic story. Where hulk hogan kicked Rocky's ass. There was a kiddy robot in one of those movies.

Imagine a grand theft auto game where you have to steal cars from people because you have to deliver a heart to the hospital. Where you get a hooker off the streets, and stop people from using drugs by talking to them. That will be the future.

If the rest of you don't like it, then I suggest you become better consumers so you can control all that we see and hear.
#14  October 01, 2009, 10:20:14 pm
    • USA
I think the stickers is a good idea. There are too many dumb parents who dont even know what M rating means.
#15  October 01, 2009, 10:46:37 pm
  • and the show goes on
I think the stickers is a good idea. There are too many dumb parents who dont even know what M rating means.
*parent thinks* m? mhhhhhmmmmm... mixed? mashed potatoes? monkeys? Bush? <---old joke, but you can relate to that.
my parents don't give a shit, cuz i'm downloading this stuff (demos, dammit!).
So,,,meh :P
made of ripped hearts waving far away,
only my memory stays still, as i say.
Looking to sky,
oh, how many people wished to fly?
i don't know,
beacuse life's harshness is a mainpart of god's show
#16  October 01, 2009, 11:44:07 pm
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.

I guess that also means they don't know what "Mature +17" means either.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#17  October 01, 2009, 11:47:44 pm
    • baragon.webs.com/
Tbh my parents judge games by whether or not there's a gun on the cover

The ratings are meaningless; they let me play pretty much everything, with the exception of realistic, modern combat (Ala Counter Strike) by my standards, the game Brutal Legend is moderate, but regardless, it's rated M

I'm still not allowed to play Contra, officially

#18  October 01, 2009, 11:59:32 pm
    • USA
^
This above is what Im talking about. Besides, I've asked multiple parents if they knew what the M rating stood for and they didn't know. They base a game solely on ONE SCREENSHOT. Slowly, they are starting to become aware.
#19  October 03, 2009, 01:06:30 am
  • [Insert thing here]
All of this and the solution is to add a Sticker? People, there a reason why there's a "M" on the box, Retards!
#20  October 03, 2009, 05:02:45 am
    • USA
#21  October 03, 2009, 07:26:14 am
  • corner push pusher

It doesn't matter. The real definition of "mature" in video games has yet to resurrect again.
#22  October 03, 2009, 07:28:58 am
  • Arbiter of Novel Trivia
    • USA
Did it ever have the meaning of "mature" to begin with?
#23  October 03, 2009, 04:27:35 pm
  • corner push pusher
For one game it did. (if you guys know me well you know what i'm referring to)
#24  October 03, 2009, 05:30:27 pm
    • baragon.webs.com/
Aahahahhahaahhaha

#25  October 05, 2009, 01:15:31 am
  • corner push pusher
You don't know me son.