YesNoOk

Mighty Street Fighter (Formerly SF2Nes) (Read 150820 times)

Started by Cobra Caddie, December 11, 2018, 09:19:24 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mighty Street Fighter (Formerly SF2Nes)
#121  June 07, 2020, 04:15:04 am
    • USA
I just tried out the new release. I like how things are going and the changes you made to it. I'm still excited for the next characters. I also saw how you included credits and Mike is a nice character.
#122  June 07, 2020, 04:27:03 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Thank you, it's great to hear positive things about the release like that :)

It's weird, the credits were in the old version of the game just disabled. I put them back in after editing them slightly.
#123  June 07, 2020, 08:21:50 am
    • USA
Some things I would like to see in a future release is Chun Li's stage being from Street Blaster/World Heroes 2 since it's the closest to the original stage and can use some edts, Zangief's stage having animation as it feels lifeless, partical effects being replaced with pixel effects like you mentioned in the beginning of the post, and I would like more chiptune. I'm also not a fan of the shadows that shrink when you jump. I did like how you gave the andevors in Hagger's stage animation and  wish to see more in the future including Cammy, T Hawk, and Dee Jay. I wish the best of luck and take your time and don't rush.

I also want to point out that Blanka's idle sprites have some with more detail and some without and it looks weird so it would be nice for the extra details to be removed so it looks nicer.
#124  June 07, 2020, 08:25:31 am
    • USA
Here are some suggestions:
1. Have some actual 8-bit music.
    You can find some from bootleg street fighter games on nes on youtube or 8 bit remixes. (The characters and stages are mostly from actual street fighter nes bootlegs for
    those who think that they're not nes.)
2. Add Sakura. You can use some Neo Geo Pocket Color sprites. I found a Neo Geo Pocket Color Sakura character on Mugen Archive.

My comments from back then didn't really age well.
#125  June 07, 2020, 09:17:32 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
I agree with all those things, Chun Li's stage and Blankas idle stance have bugged me for a long time in particularly.

The only thing I'm probably gonna keep is the shadows changing sizes. If enough people think it looks bad though I can remove the effect, it's pretty simple.

Next update should have more 8-bit style music.
#126  June 07, 2020, 06:38:18 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I noticed mostly what have already been done.
But if I have something particular to say it's about the use of black color that make some action not visible.

Usually Fighting games try to avoid pure black color (in BG and characters)

I think if you can replace black color in backgronds with some very dark color (not black) it would make thinks more visible.
Exemple Chun-li black hair would be possible to see on such a fixed BG.

I'm glad such a project exists, and continue!
#127  June 07, 2020, 09:37:31 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
That would be an easy fix. I could also work on giving characters palettes that don't go full dark too, but changing the stages would take less than an hour, even including animated elements.

I've taken a small break from the game but should start working on it again tonight or tomorrow and I'll start with some of the suggestions I got here and in the release thread. Thank you all.
#128  June 12, 2020, 12:34:52 am
    • USA
This is what Chun Li's stage could look like:

This is what her stage loks like in Street Blaster/World Heroes 2

I finally found out how to put pictures in forums.
#129  June 12, 2020, 04:14:24 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org

Already working on it  :P
#130  June 12, 2020, 06:06:10 pm
    • USA
You did a better job than me. How impressive. Is it possible to extend the curtains in Dalsim's stage and I also want to compare the bootleg original, my upgrade, and yours.

Street Blaster/World Heroes 2 Bootleg:

My Edit:

Your Edit:

My Edit of Dalsim's Stage:

Feel free to use my Dalsim's stage edit or edit apon it unless you have a better one.

To be fair, I was working off a pre existing stage and Is it possible to have a biker go through every so often like the original game?

Another thing I like about the Street Blaster/World Heroes 2 stage is that you don't need to add background people unless you want the biker.
#131  June 12, 2020, 07:29:29 pm
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
I have a development plan for the game and the next release will have improvements to stages in general.
#132  June 12, 2020, 08:10:46 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
#133  June 13, 2020, 05:32:11 am
    • USA
I used your edit for Chun Li's stage and I added in a biker kid that goes by that I made doing the same way you did the background people and this video shows the stage in action:

https://vlare.tv/v/hzv4lvv3

Note that this video is currently unlisted and I currently don't have a YouTube but I hope Vlare is okay for you guys. If you like it, you can use it and the biking animation going bye was pretty time consuming.
#134  June 13, 2020, 07:01:19 am
    • USA
[youtube]https://youtu.be/3QKNDW1MnO4[/youtube]
I've ALWAYS wanted to change the Ryu opening intro and took a couple of days to do it. I used this art by "CallMeMrA" as the starting point, and animated it and drew new pieces too it. Plus I drew the other frames using the old intro as a base. I'm not 100% happy with the last frame, so I might redraw or edit it more. Also I might realign the effects or change them too. But I'm leaving it be for now.

Link to original art used for this:
https://www.deviantart.com/callmemra/art/8-bit-Ryu-269723032

Looking at his stuff, I found some other SF2NES things that were interesting.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#135  June 22, 2020, 03:28:23 pm
    • Vietnam
Can you make Dhalsim qcfx2+k move work in air on the next version instead of he teleported to the air like SvC Chaos?
#136  June 23, 2020, 01:40:18 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
Definitely, I want to rework Dhalsim a bit and that seems like a good change. The other person I wanna significantly rework is Sheng Long.
#137  June 23, 2020, 07:10:56 am
    • Vietnam
I hope his qcf+k of him work like sf5 too.
Mighty Street Fighter: Stage programming overhaul!
#138  July 05, 2020, 11:27:49 am
  • Most Dangerous Mugen
    • USA
    • caddie.smeenet.org
I've been completely overhauling how stages work in the game, taking advantage of full games to add in a ton of features.

- Music starts, loops after the intro part is done, switches to "panic" track when health is low, stops when match is over, and restarts from the beginning each round.
  - On a side note, in practice mode the track starts from the loop point instead of the beginning. This is because Mugen's "pause button" messes with the custom music, and I plan to add in a custom pause menu for the main game so you won't have to use the pause button for anything other than training.
- Interact-able stage elements, in this case Ryu's signs breaking
- Round transitions. Not every stage will switch in the way Ryu's stage does, but expect some differences inbetween the rounds
- Random elements. If you look on the right side of the screen, you'll see a bat during dusk and 2 bats at night. They come in at random times, and stay for a random length, and are at random positions

I lost two things while doing this, the "Round _" screen and the flashing power bars. The Round _ will be fixed soon and I'm not sure if I'm keeping the flashing power bars because I kind of like it better without them but we'll see.

IMPORTANT PROGRAMMING STUFF:
One of the things that was holding me up on this is that when you skipped intros, and it did that little transition thing, the music was doubling up. There was a way to fix this, but it restarted the music and it was annoying me. HOWEVER, I discovered a way to prevent intros from being skippable! If you need this in your fullgame you can do the same thing. Open your FIGHT.DEF and change

round.time = __

To a high negative number. I'm using -25 and it works great so far! Like I said the only thing I lost was the display graphic for Round _ and I can add that in through the characters instead.

Sound news
I'm considering 'downgrading' the voice clips by sending them through a filter that will make them more 8-bit. I'll have an example soon and would like to get some opinions if you're willing to give them to me. :)
#139  July 05, 2020, 01:40:35 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Yes! very good news!
I like the rendering. Again the use of lighter black in BG makes good results.

About sound in 8-bit style, it's a good idea.
I think the good "amount" of downgrading would be to have 8-bits feeling without losing too much audio "quality".

I don't know how to say it in english but the idea would be to avoid some horrible voice compression the sometimes happened in some games because of memory limitation.

It could make great results because everithing will match the oldschool feeling! :)
#140  July 05, 2020, 06:17:31 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
I really liked it. Since you are considering change the sound effects to match the 8bit style more, have you (probably yes) considered to change the visual effects to match the same style?