YesNoOk

Link HD - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Read 45797 times)

Started by pulloff, March 24, 2023, 03:35:55 am
Share this topic:
Link HD - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
New #1  March 24, 2023, 03:35:55 am
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
    • https://crashmind.wixsite.com/mugenbangers
My 5th character. This was an 8 month project, making it the longest one. As usual, all sprites made from scratch.

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/6grstr6r3mciyp5/link_tp.rar/file

By the way, I have updated Link since making this video. Updates are as follows...

Attacks
Increased Claw Shot range
Tweaked Dominion Rod Statue. Now has a better sfx and hit effect.

Appearance
fixed his front leg during his sword swooshing victory animation. Was a bit too long before.

Sound Effects
sword swooshing animation sfx tweaked for accuracy
bombs are now helpers for sfx accuracy

Bugs
Fixed enemy frozen states during hypers if Link's opponent guards successfully.
AI now uses both hypers instead of only one of them every single time...

And I'm sure a bunch of tiny things I can't remember now since it's been a couple of weeks.
Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 05:10:26 am by pulloff
Re: Link HD - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
#2  March 24, 2023, 05:11:30 am
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Hey this is pretty neat, that's quite some time for a project it looks pretty solid so far, congratulations on the release!
#3  March 24, 2023, 12:50:08 pm
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
#4  March 27, 2023, 11:22:57 pm
  • Racing Game Enthusiast
  • Formerly known as SumirekoUsami
    • USA
This Character is completely busted and broken (not as bad as GeneralStep's Link though.)

-Moves are unbalanced, some can drain 50% of the Opponent's life in 2 seconds, while only using around 300 Power.
-Sound Effects are underwhelming, unfitting, and too quiet.
-Link feels really sluggish, every attack feels like it takes 2 entire minutes because of how slow he is overall.
-Standing Moves can be used in the air if you attack the Opponent while airborn (State 450 is a very good example of this)
-Hitboxes are WAY too big, and completely cover Link on certain attacks, making him invincible (if you try attacking without any invincibility frames or projectiles.)
-Projectiles behave weirdly, using entirely unfitting sounds.
-Wolf Link Hyper murders your hearing if you are caught in the Tri-Force attack.
-AI is completely busted, and hard to defeat if you use a slow character.
-A lot of attacks have him go to an invalid action after

I'm not seeing much of an improvement after HD Raven

Just a guy who has a big passion for Racing Games, who happened to stumble upon MUGEN one year...
Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 11:37:45 pm by jrm1007
#5  March 28, 2023, 03:33:01 am
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
Hey Jrm. I appreciate your feedback. Truly, I do. Here are my responses to the concerns you've highlighted.  Sorry if it's a bit long.

- Moves are unbalanced, some can drain 50% of the Opponent's life in 2 seconds, while only using around 300 Power.

+ His Great Spin Attack does take a huge chunk out though with low a power cost which is what I think you may be referring to? Trying to think how I can balance that out since you pointed that out. Maybe just up the power cost or something cuz I'd rather not weaken the attack itself? I'll figure it out.

- Sound Effects are underwhelming, unfitting, and too quiet.

+ With very few exceptions when I can't successfully sample a sound effect, about 95% of the sound effect are ripped from the game he's from. I stay true to the characters that way.

- Link feels really sluggish, every attack feels like it takes 2 entire minutes because of how slow he is overall.

+that's on purpose so you have the chance to counter against him. (C'mon tho dude 2 minutes lol)?

- Standing Moves can be used in the air if you attack the Opponent while airborn (State 450 is a very good example of this)

+I wasn't aware of this bug and I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

- Hitboxes are WAY too big, and completely cover Link on certain attacks, making him invincible (if you try attacking without any invincibility frames or projectiles.)

+ I can see that. I haven't had any issues beating Link with this in mind though. But I don't use melee fighters which may be what was overlooked. My mindset is to attack after the opponent has finished theirs. It's not like my Link is super cheap or unbeatable though. Then again as with any mugen character, depends on the fighter you're using I guess.

- Projectiles behave weirdly, using entirely unfitting sounds.

+ Weirdly how? If you mean the sfx isn't timed right sometimes, I've already fixed that issue and updated the download link. Let me know in which attacks you're still seeing problems and I'll fix those too. But again, the majority of sfx I use are from his game (twilight princess).

- Wolf Link Hyper murders your hearing if you are caught in the Tri-Force attack.

+ Do you mean with headphones? (cuz I didn't think to test it with that.) Otherwise I'm not seeing any major difference in volume. Maybe it's cuz my output comes from a tv though and not my laptop. Will test later.

- AI is completely busted, and hard to defeat if you use a slow character.

+ Disagree and agree at the same time. In mugen there's just so many characters people have made over the years. Some are cheaply fast and others far too slow. Among my characters, they all are able to beat Link's AI, and since I'm concentrating on the roster I'm personally making of all characters from scratch, that's my go-to comparison.

- A lot of attacks have him go to an invalid action after

+ I'm not sure I understand. Could you explain further? If you mean a frame or two after an attack ends, that's on purpose to provide a counter before he's ready for the next attack. Or do you mean he goes to a different state sometimes besides state 0?

- I'm not seeing much of an improvement after HD Raven

+My Raven is pretty popular, soooooo... I'm good with that lol.
Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:40:28 am by pulloff
#6  March 28, 2023, 04:14:17 am
  • Ive taken my skills beyond mugen
    • USA
    • Skype - bushinryu Master
this character looks cool I may give it a try great effort how bout using his soul calibur 2 voice
HIDDEN BOSS
#7  March 28, 2023, 05:04:54 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Hi, good to see a new Link for MUGEN, but yeah, needs a lot of work. Let me help you with some of your answers to the feedback :)

His Great Spin Attack does take a huge chunk out though with low a power cost which is what I think you may be referring to? Trying to think how I can balance that out since you pointed that out. Maybe just up the power cost or something cuz I'd rather not weaken the attack itself? I'll figure it out.
It's the damage, the damage in the attacks is too high for the power they used. Normally a level1 super makes between 150 to 300 max and normal attacks go between 15 to 100, if the damage in a special move that doesn't use powerbar is higher than a super move, then you've to remake the damage scale you use
Do you mean with headphones? (cuz I didn't think to test it with that.) Otherwise I'm not seeing any major difference in volume. Maybe it's cuz my output comes from a tv though and not my laptop. Will test later.
The volume in the sounds is too high, maybe you should adjust the volume in the original WAV samples before re-adding them to SND
My Raven is pretty popular, soooooo... I'm good with that lol.
Popular != good
A creator should improve their stuff with every release, not keeping at the same level or below. I know you can fix those bugs and fix your Link, it's just a matter of practice and listen people ;)

I'm gonna test it and give my own feedback soon, but by now I hope this helps you to improve Link, good luck :bjugoi:

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#8  March 28, 2023, 05:07:33 am
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA

I agree with Basara-man.
#9  March 28, 2023, 05:10:52 am
  • Life is not daijobu
    • Paraguay
    • sites.google.com/view/tornillo-oxidado-edits/characters?authuser=0
Invalid actions means there are some changeanim/changestate, etc. Triggers calling a ID animation that your char don't have, also every standing attack can be canceled in the middle of the air, resulting on Link stepping in the middle of nothing,

You could add some blue boxes if you don't want to delete those big redboxes that his special attacks have, because he has infinite priority.

And some attacks can earrape btw.

TLOZ chars are always welcome in my roster, but i suggest you to do some changes in your Link, specially the audio part.
Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 05:22:02 am by TornilloOxidado
#10  March 28, 2023, 11:39:55 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
Wow, the visuals are awesome!!
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#11  March 29, 2023, 02:13:57 am
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
You guys are so awesome for the feedback and advice. I appreciate it all very much. I can't seem to get around to working on anything Mugen related after I get off work but I'll have some free time on the weekend to take a look at it. I was going to fix my Auron to work for 1.0 actually and I never planned on not touching any of my characters anymore to improve them. But if I am unable to detect a problem, I have no way to identify the cause and fix it. So again, I do value your constructive criticism.

@Lunchbillion - Thanks! it's the one thing I'm really good at lol

@IKEISLEGEND - Thanks! I don't wanna use the soul calibur 2 voice though since it's already been used with another Link. Using the voice from the game he's from separates him more I think. Maybe someone can make a voicepack for him in the future though.

@TornilloOxidado - Thanks for explaining what an invalid action is. That's what it sounded like but I didn't realize I had any of them in his cns??? I thought I checked it pretty well already but I'll take another look.

@[great_funk] - noted.

@Bad Mr. Basara - Gotcha and thanks for the rundown. All my specials and hypers use the power bar but the range I use is more than what you've explained so that's probably where the imbalance JRM mentioned is coming from. I guess I implied that I was going to keep Raven as is. That's not really the case as I noticed she also air walks sometimes like Link was just shown to. I just haven't ever witnessed it with Link before. But I planned on updating Raven's bug as well as making one of her attacks a bit smoother when she gets hit (the Self Projection special). Plus a few other things.

Now that I have a better frame of reference where you guys are coming from, I can adjust the characters. Just give me some time. Not a little time, but a few months just because... well life. Mugen related, I'll make Link's fixes my first priority and put Toph on the backburner (i'm making toph next btw).

Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:32:09 am by pulloff
#12  March 30, 2023, 02:15:04 am
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
So, update. My laptop died. Won't even power on. Even alienware has its time and mine was a decade apparently. Maybe it's the moment or maybe its a combo of everything going on in my life right now, but im pretty mucj screwed unless o can find a way to repair it.
Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:23:30 pm by pulloff
#13  April 09, 2023, 05:29:05 am
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
My laptop's motherboard is dead. So im out of mugen development indefinitely
Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 01:23:37 am by pulloff
#14  April 25, 2023, 06:41:59 pm
  • HD Character Maker
    • USA
Got my laptop a bit early (although this one is already bugging out on me and it's making very concerning noises) but I updated Link. The air walking SHOULD be fixed, I can't say for sure because I have never experienced, heard or witnessed any air walking issues before the post on this page displaying it, so idk what triggers it, thus I can't test it. If it was just that the triggers in the cmd were trigger1 and not triggerall = statetype !=A, yea it's definitely fixed then.

Also lowered the triforce sfx damage hit sound, and I balanced out the great spin attack damage. Finally I adjusted some of the colliders on the attacks. I didn't adjust every damage amount of every single attack because you can just adjust it how you like by lowering the attack in the cns to whatever fits your personal preference and, hey, you're not going to be able to make everyone happy. His attack range is still long because, he's got a sword, he's gonna have a longer range. But I made the colliders more accurate with the sword if that helps the priority out.