YesNoOk

Having multiple CNS files [vs] Having one (Read 11470 times)

Started by Kolossoni, May 05, 2021, 03:27:36 am
Share this topic:
Having multiple CNS files [vs] Having one
#1  May 05, 2021, 03:27:36 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
I was wondering. While I was editing a character, I've noticed that it had two, three CNS files for different purposes.

Now, I know this is a common practice among creators, but what are the advantages/disadvantages if someone was to put all of them into one CNS file in order to save the hassle of creating multiple files?
Re: Having multiple CNS files [vs] Having one
#2  May 05, 2021, 03:31:14 am
  • it's me
  • Bat's a Wrap.
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
As far as I know there's no intrinsic advantage other than just being easier to organize, I recall trying to edit characters of mine with only 1 CNS file and it was hell to swim through a bunch of States and numbers just to find what I wanted, whereas with multiple files if you know where the normals, specials, supers, helpers, system stuff, etc. is it's just easier to edit and keep mental notes of.

I know you can use searches and keywords in a single CNS file, but if it's been a while and you can't recall or two related things have a bit of a coding distance between then it just becomes a disorganized slower to work with mess. Not that it cannot happen when working on multiple files, that's why I no longer dedicate helpers to their own state file for instance.
Yeaaaah im shootign ducks wiht the paino
#3  May 05, 2021, 05:01:58 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
I dislike scrolling through and editing long files, so if a file is going to be edited frequently and isn't simply backend I prefer to keep it around 1000 lines or so, and I generally split up my normals, specials, supers, system, negative states, and extra files.

It makes my workflow much faster, otherwise I'd have to use a table of contents at the top of the file for ease of access.
#4  May 05, 2021, 05:37:12 am
    • Chile
A single file increases complexity. Complexity is bad for maintenance.
#5  May 05, 2021, 01:13:28 pm
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
It all depends on context. Having a complex character with so many states do require a lot of cns files because if you had only one cns file you could have a tough time searching for problems that may occur while testing the character. Single cns files are suitable for characters that don't have too many states but adding more cns files to them is good for organization. 
Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:16:50 pm by Synck