YesNoOk

Judas STUFF (Read 194668 times)

Started by [Judas], July 10, 2012, 09:42:15 pm
Judas STUFF
#1  July 10, 2012, 09:42:15 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Yeah. Let's go ahead and make this official. Most of this has been seen before, but not all in one place. Plus, I need a spot to put all future artistic endeavors, so....

First, have Morrigan in a test scale. Simply resized the original to 640x480 resolution, and then this happened.

I'm satisfied with the shading, but the sprite size just doesn't work for me. For the record, this was my first new sprite in a few years. Excuse the rust.

Then there's my first full animation in even longer.

Based on Diepod's oh-so-fluid lines, this proved to me that higher resolution sprites could be completed at a quick pace. Thank you for the learning experience, Diepod. That inspired me to pursue something else...

Allow me to copy/paste the description posted over at PCS just a few minutes ago to save time:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Ultimate goal? Blazblue in size, CPS3 in fluidity, KOFXIII in quality. I will be there eventually. One step at a time.

And, just for the hell of it, have some other (not-at-all-recent) stuff, just to put them in a single spot. The last completed sprites before the above were done in early 2009. God.

COMMISSION STUFFS:
I've decided to go ahead and open my availability for sprite commissions. Huzzah!

Until I get back in my groove completely, I suppose single sprites are preferable. $5 USD per sprite sounds reasonable, but I'm sorta clueless on such matters. Cheaper than some I've seen, so we'll go with that for now. Animations will be worked out on a case-by-case basis, but adding $2 per frame to the base rate is probably what I'm going with. Yeah. That sounds good for the time being. Discussion via PM would be the best way to go about it, but emailing works too.

I'm obviously the most comfortable with CvS-ish stuff and my own higher resolution ESP.er style. Other styles can be talked out on an individual basis, but should still run the same price. KoF style (pre-XII or XII/XIII... doesn't matter which) is where I am weakest, so don't expect the same price on those. CPS3 is a lot easier for me than KoF, but my skill there is not quite up to diepod or eFeX standards. ESP.er style is just as easy for me as CvS due to the way I create them, so they're the same price. Overly detailed stuff may cost more, depending on how much little stuff is involved. Be sure to specify which version of the style, too, as both the older HR version (seen in this post) and the newer HD version (seen later in the thread) are up for grabs. I imagine CvS will be most requested, and I'm cool with that. Full sheets are a possibility, but they don't come cheap. :P

Associated paypay email rightchere:
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:41:34 pm by AlexSin
Re: Judas art DUMP
#2  July 10, 2012, 09:44:37 pm
  • Professional Procrastinator
  • Roman Numerals and Decimals should never mix.
    • USA
 :o Amazing stuff.
#3  July 10, 2012, 10:24:15 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Amazing work! Awesome style too
#4  July 10, 2012, 10:42:06 pm
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
Awesome artwork Judas, I'm loving your Morrigan animation.  :)

What program did you use to design sprites in this style?
#5  July 11, 2012, 12:28:32 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
very nice works indeed
#6  July 11, 2012, 04:34:38 am
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html
Go the RBS Krauser route with Pyron - it suits him a little better.
#7  July 11, 2012, 04:51:39 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I think his old stance works fine.
#8  July 11, 2012, 10:50:15 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
This Pyron is fabulously detailed. :D

Loving your style.
#9  July 11, 2012, 11:48:22 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
As I told you so many times, your work is always inspiring. I wish I had your skills, man T_T

PS: What happened to ESP.er?
I swear there was something cool here!!
#10  July 11, 2012, 03:24:23 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
FeLo: ESP.er is still a go. It has undergone significant revisions since it was last shown, and it has definitely been for the better. When the newer designs in a higher resolution and tweaked sprite style are (eventually) re-unveiled, I hope you enjoy them as much as these. The Darkstalkers experiments are leading to exactly that. Well, that and/or Devilicide. Whichever happens first.

...I've said too much. ;)

TRUEMicah: The method used for this batch was described elsewhere, so...
Pyre time, complete with progress stuffs.

Initial sketch in Photoshop. At 400% of the final size, I get a rough idea of what I want. Thick, bold lines work best for the next step. 5 pixel brush and my tablet are good friends for this step. I forgot to snag a pic of the stick figure/ovals I used to get my anatomy sorta right and the 20% visible sprites of Nekro, Zimmer, and Mercedes to get a somewhat consistent size when I shrink it down. Five to ten minutes to get it all right. I already had a clear idea of what I wanted for Pyre's stance, which helped. This phase of Zimmer's stance sprite took nearly an hour and a half and well over a dozen trashed ideas. Augh.

Shrink it down, use the Threshold feature of photoshop to get it down to two colors. Easy enough. Five seconds of "work."

Fine tuning of my lines. Proportions adjusted and whatnot. These lines remain mostly unchanged for the remainder of the process. So far, this step for all of the sprites has taken around twenty minutes or so. Pyre took a few minutes less than the others, but not a noteworthy amount of time less. I think that's just me getting into my groove with this process.

Flat colors added. I pilfered these from my alternate palettes for now. They'll change eventually, but it's too early to spend a lot of time getting the perfect palette. That'll come later. A few minutes worth of paint bucketing.

Blown up again, this time up to 200%. Magic wand tool to select my flats, eyedropper to select my shades, 2 pixel pencil to throw some sloppily neat shading in place. Really rough coloring stage. I find it easier to get the crazy curves that every sprite inevitably have to look decent with a blown up sprite. Significantly easier. What would have taken me four times as long at regular size took me about five minutes in Photoshop at double size. Then I shrink it back down, as seen here.

Fine-tuning. The most important phase. Adding in the remaining shades, redoing the existing shading, yadda yadda yadda. Completing the sprite. Time varies. A lot. Pyre took about half an hour. Zimmer took almost two. Nekro... maybe 45 minutes? Mercedes took a full day, but she doesn't count this time. I was still figuring out what I did and didn't want in the style. :P

Palette tweaking. Finally the arrangement of my colors makes a little sense. Photoshop and layers are your friends. Four layers, actually. Flats, darkest shades, mid shades, and highlights. Both of the shade layers are pure 785E91 set to multiply. The darkest layer is 100%, while the middle shades are 50%. Highlights are pure white set to soft light at 100%. Those settings seem to produce pretty sweet results. Pyre is the only exception so far. His chap highlights are separate from his gold ones. They looked entirely too shiny, so they got set to 50% opacity. Blah blah. I don't know... ten minutes to set up the layers? Varying times to pick palettes that look right. I already knew what I wanted for Pyre, so his took no time. The stuff I used was pretty close already, so whatever. It's almost identical to the original sprite in the first post in the thread. His design didn't even really change that much, which is odd. Everyone else changed pretty significantly in my big stack o' ESP.er sketches, but Pyre only went through the two designs you've seen in this thread. Huh. Alas, I digress.

After some minor palette tweaking. He didn't need much. I believe he's done.
That was the method as of October of '08. It remains essentially the same now, except threshold has been replaced with indexed color. Also, shading is best done before the initial shrink down. Cleaning takes way less time that way. A complete walkthrough for my current method: yay or nay?

Thanks for all the kind words, people.

edit: The "original Pyre sprite" mentioned in the quoted post showing the old ESP.er style process. July of 2007, well before the whole thing panned out.

....god. So, I've been toying with this idea for over five years now? What the hell?

edit2: Another stylistic prototype, as seen elsewhere.

Still old. This time, April of 08.
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:43:59 pm by AlexSin
#11  July 12, 2012, 01:57:53 pm
    • USA
You've a definite Yay from me bro, :)
I'm considering purchasing a tablet in order to create graphic art of my own.
This tutorial is a GREAT How-to guide, thanks alot man.  :P
#12  July 15, 2012, 01:15:57 am
  • "I am all that is touched by none."
    • USA
This stuff is hot, wish i had that kind of adaptable skill.  :)
#13  July 15, 2012, 11:00:47 pm
    • USA
Practice makes perfect.  :P
#14  July 17, 2012, 04:19:20 pm
  • Yu Yu hakusho spriter
    • USA
    • thanewdude07.deviantart.com/
Epic post this stuff looks awesome :sugoi:

Man i gotta sharpen my drawing skills :P..Thanks for sharining

More stuff Get ready for the best yusuke ever!! http://thanewdude07.deviantart.com/

Check out my youtube for more fun stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamSpamBustah?feature=guide
#15  July 18, 2012, 09:24:21 am
  • Decepticon Leader
    • USA
I check here once a month, with the hope of catching something special, and I come across a dear old friend, still wowing me over as if I just saw his work for the first time.

Bravo, good sir.

・・・・・・・・⑨
#16  August 11, 2012, 07:23:54 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
Random shit before the next pixel update:

#17  August 19, 2012, 02:02:09 am
  • Bringing her back
    • USA
    • hiivolt-07.deviantart.com/
Cool sense of style here. Gritty.
Spriting is hard.
#18  October 05, 2012, 10:22:58 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

This makes me sad. Sad with a vengeance.

Have more art from projects that may or may not ever see the light of day.

edit: now with new logo-y goodness!
Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:35:19 pm by Alex Sinigaglia
#19  October 05, 2012, 10:49:55 pm
    • USA
That is sick bro.
#20  October 27, 2012, 05:46:36 pm
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
I'll just leave this nearly complete Anarchy Reigns training stage here...

All it's really missing is the random particle effects that fly throughout the stage. Otherwise, it's ready for whoever wants to program the bitch.