YesNoOk

cartoon characters legitimacy (Read 36973 times)

Started by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE, February 08, 2021, 11:31:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: cartoon characters legitimacy
#41  February 09, 2021, 05:50:28 pm
  • Nijikaku Enthusiast
  • Mugen is full of varied creativity.
    • USA
What characters you see fit for Mugen is different for all of us, and it is what is in the eye of the beholder to what kinds of characters they desire, I love Mugen for anything & everything, real fighting game characters, cartoony, anime & original fighters to the completely surreal ones you've never heard of.

YERRR is exactly the kind of unique character I love because it shows how immersive Mugen is.
It is a unique engine that lets imagination run wild as I've had years of fun editing sounds & characters, making sprites and stages to my preferences.

Someone said the Nijikaku characters are too crazy to use in a normal fight but I disagree as they also have serious fighters as they're are overlooked by the goofy meme characters.
I mostly love the wacky creative characters like Bakumatsu moreso than actual fighting game characters like Ryu because they're more appealing to me.

I'll always love these chars, from my favorite fancharacter Think to the awesome Angeloid Astraea, these sprites are memories to be loved.
#42  February 09, 2021, 05:58:58 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
What characters you see fit for Mugen is different for all of us, and it is what is in the eye of the beholder to what kinds of characters they desire, I love Mugen for anything & everything, real fighting game characters, cartoony, anime & original fighters to the completely surreal ones you've never heard of.

YERRR is exactly the kind of unique character I love because it shows how immersive Mugen is.
It is a unique engine that lets imagination run wild as I've had years of fun editing sounds & characters, making sprites and stages to my preferences.

Someone said the Nijikaku characters are too crazy to use in a normal fight but I disagree as they also have serious fighters as they're are overlooked by the goofy meme characters.
I mostly love the wacky creative characters like Bakumatsu moreso than actual fighting game characters like Ryu because they're more appealing to me.

thank u, <3 :)
but this isnt about my character and im not saying anyones roster is wrong. i understand that it is in the eye of the beholder.
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:03:41 pm by DJ_HANNIBALROYCE
#43  February 09, 2021, 06:37:57 pm
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
i dont think DJ is wrong for just pointing out a roster's similarity, it just sounds wrong out of context (happens to me sometimes lol). nothing is wrong with using popular mugen characters, it's all up to the choice of the person making the roster anyways. sometimes going out for more obscure characters is cool as well but again it just boils down to what you want to do,
#44  February 09, 2021, 08:24:57 pm
    • USA
Let me give a brief history;

Western Animation and Mugen have a moderately complex relationship, in reality. The earliest affairs were largely ignored, and generally made use of editing of fighting-type sprites to keep a style intact. RyouWin and Omega Supreme are examples of such creators. Derrick D. Rowell's Saturday Mornin' Mayhem is an early example of such a fullgame that used custom graphics with an MVC-like gameplay. Warner, a Salvadorian creator, was likely inspired by him to begin his line of characters; and even then, not all of them are like this; he did some Ruroni Kenshin characters as well as Wario and Luigi, along with The Thing. JudgeSpear, the first major Mugen YouTuber, picked up on his works, notably his Homer, and proceeded to make them stars, later editing them. Mulambo's Pingu is another example. The viral popularity, including 15 minutes of mainstream fame via "Attack of the Show", MUGEN and JudgeSpear got, is what inspired Zobbes, Smeagol14, Warioman, Placemario, and others to begin creating poor quality characters.

Unlike Warner, these creators would take their sprites from paint-by-numbers platformers and the like, adding unconvincing attacking frames. If they did draw their own images, they were of poor quality. The movesets of these characters were also extremely uninspired, with a spammable projectile, spammable strikers, and hypers like "Gun Shooting" and "Hyper Combo" (literally one or two normals rapidly performed followed by a last normal!). While Madoldcrow1105 was decent due to his handiwork and making unique movesets, other creators were... absolutely not. The MUGEN Database was riddled with examples of these poor quality affairs. Hence, the glut of poor-quality characters caused the reputation of the characters to go down the tubes. Today, Western Animation characters in MUGEN are gaining some ground due to long-time creators marginally improving, allowing those who grew up with lousy characters to play with improved ones. However, many problems with the scene remain.
#45  February 09, 2021, 08:46:51 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
Let me give a brief history;

Western Animation and Mugen have a moderately complex relationship, in reality. The earliest affairs were largely ignored, and generally made use of editing of fighting-type sprites to keep a style intact. RyouWin and Omega Supreme are examples of such creators. Derrick D. Rowell's Saturday Mornin' Mayhem is an early example of such a fullgame that used custom graphics with an MVC-like gameplay. Warner, a Salvadorian creator, was likely inspired by him to begin his line of characters; and even then, not all of them are like this; he did some Ruroni Kenshin characters as well as Wario and Luigi, along with The Thing. JudgeSpear, the first major Mugen YouTuber, picked up on his works, notably his Homer, and proceeded to make them stars, later editing them. Mulambo's Pingu is another example. The viral popularity, including 15 minutes of mainstream fame via "Attack of the Show", MUGEN and JudgeSpear got, is what inspired Zobbes, Smeagol14, Warioman, Placemario, and others to begin creating poor quality characters.

Unlike Warner, these creators would take their sprites from paint-by-numbers platformers and the like, adding unconvincing attacking frames. If they did draw their own images, they were of poor quality. The movesets of these characters were also extremely uninspired, with a spammable projectile, spammable strikers, and hypers like "Gun Shooting" and "Hyper Combo" (literally one or two normals rapidly performed followed by a last normal!). While Madoldcrow1105 was decent due to his handiwork and making unique movesets, other creators were... absolutely not. The MUGEN Database was riddled with examples of these poor quality affairs. Hence, the glut of poor-quality characters caused the reputation of the characters to go down the tubes. Today, Western Animation characters in MUGEN are gaining some ground due to long-time creators marginally improving, allowing those who grew up with lousy characters to play with improved ones. However, many problems with the scene remain.

wow. that was detailed as fuck. i love it! so basically, Reputation and popularity seem to be the general reason. hopefully that changes in the future. But at the end of the day, its what the user wants to do with their MUGEN. thank you everyone for all of your answers...this was quite the question.
#46  February 09, 2021, 08:55:57 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
I for example, not a lot into mixing different graphic styles. I mean, a KOF sprite, even having a Capcom-esque palete is easily recognisable as SNK. Maybe I'm a bit maniatic with it, so imagine mixing characters from cartoons, manga, etc. And for example, every cartoon has a different style. Same with Manga/Anime. I could live without killing myself mixing that Dragon Ball and One Piece characters whose sprites are similar to those from Capcom, even they're a bit bigger. I appreciate the time and effort some awesome spriters(such as Warner) gives to their creations(Futurama, Family Guy, Simpsons), but I wouldn't be putting'em in a CvS alike roster.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#47  February 09, 2021, 09:03:56 pm
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen

man my roster is unique asf tho
who would actually have the most popular cvs2, pots, kof and jojo characters and only those characters in their roster.
the diversity here is just insane.
#48  February 09, 2021, 09:22:40 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
sees 3 ryus, 4 dans and 4 kens LOL. i love you salty. lol
#49  February 09, 2021, 09:23:46 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
3 Ryus... 3 Kens...

FOUR Dans...

Yep, seems legit lol
#50  February 09, 2021, 10:02:16 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
i ask this question often, but never asked it here.

i always thought the point of mugen was the "fantasy" aspect of it all. but when i see peoples rosters...its usually the same SF,KOF,DBZ...sometimes different variations of the same character.

i feel like if it isnt RYU, its often overlooked. and that sucks because there is alot of creative creators out here that makes balanced characters.
Why is that?

Same with what ume said

because fighting game fans gravitate towards mugen more than people who dont play fighting games

Though considering cartoon characters in mugen, other than outliers like warner, DDR, and others that have been said in this thread already. (Though DDR and warner's characters do have their own set of problems) Cartoon characters typically get made by people who don't really grasp basic fighting game theory, in turn gives them the reputation of being "illegitimate" to a point as miru962 was describing. Though I have seen plenty of SF, KOF, and DBZ characters that are absolute trash as well if not worse. Also them being more well known than most SF, KOF, or DBZ characters doesn't really help with the stereotype.
#51  February 09, 2021, 10:57:41 pm
I know what you ment and again its fine.
Both parties bring up solid arguments and it comes down to prefrence.
As stated, the franchise tied to the chars is a major pull for users.

Stuff based on Anime and such will have more downloads in general, people that play with original chars or cartoony chars more so have to go out of there way to find well made ones and when its an original char its just word of mouth.
Its not as easy as typing "Goku mugen char" in google to find one.

For me its mostly about gameplay, I love how the proper pots chars handle (Jman/DW/Karma)
I find them "legit" if you will.

I've shown my roster a million times but if you want to see what I enjoy playing form time to time, here.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:41:12 am by PeXXeR
#52  February 10, 2021, 04:46:22 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Seems like I showed up late to a topic I'm pretty fond of.
BXR, lucky I didn't get to you first. FeLo, watch what you say too.

BUT back to the topic at hand.
#1 sprites. If there's no sprites the character cant be made. 90% of the time an artist can't code. Art vs "Math", you're usually 1 way or the other. So people who code NEED sprites. They end up making characters with sprites already widely available. This causes and upward trend.

#2 editing happens first. Most people who create a character have no clue how to do it. NO ONE'S reading the manual. The character from scratch isn't going to be made first. RYU IS!! Cuz there's a lot of them out there and the one you downloaded is aaaaaaalllllllll most like how you want it exactly so you edit it! NEW RYU YAAAAAYYYY!!!! (My very first edit was my Ryu)

#3 creativity is tough. Popeye and Onsokumaru are two of the best mugen characters ever made. The amount of creativity behind them is fantastic. But they're not even 100% unique for mugen. Their characters existed outside of mugen first and someone brought it forward. Someone like @Creamy_Goodness: makes a character and don't see any feed back. It's disheartening.  My Samus is the only character I've made by myself. The other 18 characters "I've made" are edits. Heck, Samus isn't even 100% original. I used SSBB to get the images of her. With out that, Samus wouldn't have been started. Dragon Claw is a work of love. These level of characters are extremely rare. AltoidDealer and all the rest of the creators putting years into 1 character are legends. 

#4 stealing characters is bad. If someone was to just edit Jailbot people would notice lol. A LOT of people my jump the gun and go off on the person who edited the character. Even if it was a larger edit, and the person gives credit. SOME ASSHOLES will just attack anyone for any reason. This will stop people from even opening Fighter Factory. They just don't want negativity, and who can blame them. Lei-Lei, Blanka, Gouken, Spiderman, Sakura, Joe, and maybe 2 or 3 more of my edits will never get uploaded. The edits aren't pronounced enough. Am I scared of people talking shit? Nope. But out of respect for the original creators I wont upload them. Who knows how many small edits Fire Quacker's gotten over the years.

#5 "VS Style sucks"!! But there are a ton of people who want 7 chun li, 5 cammy, 5 Gouken, 4 ken, 3 sub zero, 3 M Bison, and countless pairs of characters
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Because sometimes 1 particular character is so over powered compared to a different version it's not fair to play as them vs another character from a different set up. PotS' reign supreme? They're usually solid characters but 1 wont rule them all. Not against my Lei-lei. Omega Tom Hanks over there still has that shit-eating-grin on for anyone who's never played mugen before. Is Jailbot an amazing character? Yes. Is it fair to match him against Evil Ken. No. So if you want to fight Jailbot with a Ken, You need to select a different version.

But the see-saw is lopsided. A ton of Ryus only leads to more Ryus. Even with the TEAM of people around Balthazar, Team Z characters take forever to create. The characters that move the see-saw slam the other side so hard they get shot off into outer space. I've read complaints that Team Z wins CotM too often!?

I personally never understand the people who treat mugen like it's an emulator. Download the emulator of the game you like. Sticking to just ONE game in mugen blows my mind. Thor is gonna kick the crap out of Skullomania but lose the next round to Wolverine who could never stand a chance against FAUST who's gonna get dusted by Skullomania which should never be matched against M Bison by Ethan Lives, on and on and on. But Lei-lei owns them all so hard she's permanently retired, but wont ever get removed off the board. Is she a cheap god-mode char? Nope. Do those characters get a spot in my build. NOPE. Do people love them. Hellzyeah they do. Some people just want a CvS 2 EO with a bigger character line up. But will there ever be a Thor in a CvS shading. Doubt it. If someone wants a new Thor they'll probably edit Loganir's and not release it.
And the downward spiral continues.

When creators make something fresh, people will notice. One or two of those people will get inspired to try something awesome. Hopefully they can stick with it and win CotY.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#53  February 10, 2021, 05:00:08 am
    • USA
Though considering cartoon characters in mugen, other than outliers like warner, DDR, and others that have been said in this thread already. (Though DDR and warner's characters do have their own set of problems) Cartoon characters typically get made by people who don't really grasp basic fighting game theory, in turn gives them the reputation of being "illegitimate" to a point as miru962 was describing. Though I have seen plenty of SF, KOF, and DBZ characters that are absolute trash as well if not worse. Also them being more well known than most SF, KOF, or DBZ characters doesn't really help with the stereotype.

Furthermore, in addition to those low quality characters in those categories, I'd say Sonic, kaiju, Nintendo, and DC characters, and maybe Mortal Kombat characters, would have that reputation. Obscure game conversions are headed towards that territory in recent years as well. I can safely say MugenHunter would be the RyouWin/DDR/Warner for Sonic characters, while with obscure conversions it might be someone like MelvannaInChains or Mass. I remember when people were hyped for obscure conversions...
#54  February 10, 2021, 05:02:28 am
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
this just tells me i need to make a cartoon character and shatter all expectations.
#55  February 10, 2021, 05:16:35 am
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
#56  February 10, 2021, 06:11:59 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Obscure conversions died because of anime fighters exploding in popularity in recent years. Mass seems to be on hiatus or quit too.
#57  February 10, 2021, 06:33:58 pm
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org

Furthermore, in addition to those low quality characters in those categories, I'd say Sonic, kaiju, Nintendo, and DC characters, and maybe Mortal Kombat characters, would have that reputation. Obscure game conversions are headed towards that territory in recent years as well. I can safely say MugenHunter would be the RyouWin/DDR/Warner for Sonic characters, while with obscure conversions it might be someone like MelvannaInChains or Mass. I remember when people were hyped for obscure conversions...

Yea very much so with sonic, kaiju, nintendo, DC, and MK characters. Though frankly one could say any popular character from a non fighting game source is gonna have people making them that don't know basic fighting game theory, or at least not enough to have one being well constructed and balanced. With MKP characters being either being surprisingly competent if not better than MKT or unintentionally hilarious messes. MH's sonic characters where decent from what I remember. Obscure conversions where decently popular over 10 to 5 years ago, shame we don't see too many of them anymore.
#58  February 10, 2021, 06:51:57 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Obscure conversions died because of anime fighters exploding in popularity in recent years. Mass seems to be on hiatus or quit too.
This is literally not true, there are several japanese authors out there still putting out obscure conversions or straight up original work
#59  February 10, 2021, 07:13:49 pm
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
The notable decrease in western obscure mugen is simply because the creators are working at a slower rate (the none) or retired (Jango, melvana, etc.)
#60  February 10, 2021, 07:18:46 pm
  • Your Average MFG Forum Member
  • As Seen on Youtube
    • Brazil
    • Skype - iago-moraes
    • www.youtube.com/user/yagoshi300
The notable decrease in western obscure mugen is simply because the creators are working at a slower rate (the none) or retired (Jango, melvana, etc.)

You forgot to mention Shimmering Brony.

Homina Homina Homina