YesNoOk

Poll: Which engine version do you use the most? (Read 56099 times)

Started by PotS, June 15, 2022, 05:42:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Poll: Which engine version do you use the most?
#21  July 02, 2022, 10:22:53 pm
    • USA
What kind of issues?

From what I've been told, most classic fighters (good ones) handle commands like this. Motions and buttons separate. but anyways, I dont know too much. but I've been using it for a long time now and it's pretty good.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#22  July 02, 2022, 10:43:57 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
From the top of my head, if you hit a button and do the QCF afterward, the move still comes out. Most noticeable during cancels. Another is, during Custom Combo, if you do DP then X, Y, two Shoryukens come out. If there's anything I learned it's that Custom Combos are a great stress test for input buffers.

I don't think any of them are gamebreaking, but they're hard to unsee when you know they are there.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#23  July 02, 2022, 11:42:43 pm
  • Your Successor in Netherrealm Service!!!
    • USA
I use to use mugen 1.1b. Then switch to Mugenhook. After that to Ikemen Go. I use more  ikemen Go now cause , I don't need to do conversion for every character for the awesome tag battles. I would go back to using Mugen 1.1b but for only single mode arcade matches.
Your Successor in Netherrealm Service!!!
#24  July 03, 2022, 06:05:52 am
Ive noticed while fighting PotS's Dictator that when using a char that uses Tiny Buffering for example I used DW's Akuma, when switching sides so fast  and you double-tap to run, Akuma in this case just did not want to run, it was like a 50/50.

It was depended if I rolled beforehand as well, sometimes after a roll the run wont come out, which got me hit.
I also never caught this before to report it to DW as I had a faulty keyboard and was thinking it was my KB rather then the char.

I really hope for Ikemen to set the standard for inputs and to be one universal system, its going to be easier for everyone from coders to players and to people that tend to provide feedback.

From all the buffering systems that I have played so far, I feel explod is the closest to I guess arcade or PC releases, I am not yet used to PotS's new system but everything comes out as it should from what ive tested.

Sadly my understanding aint even close to provide more detailed feedback but when I play I do tend to notice when inputs are being dropped lets say and I try to report as much as I can.
Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 06:14:24 am by PeXXeR
#25  July 05, 2022, 04:14:34 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
From the top of my head, if you hit a button and do the QCF afterward, the move still comes out.
Funny this came up because this is a feature inherent to certain SNK games, most notably Garou, where the buffer for inputs and buttons is so wide you can prep a super 23623A and choose to delay the final 6 because the rest of the inputs are still active.

For most use cases standardized buffers in mugen are not bad because it's a pretty volatile environment in the first place, but I remember talking to Vans about certain questions of "accurate" conversions also meaning bugs and quirks, where thinks like buffers might matter more. Things like hyper hops in Kof are sort of by products of how the game reads the inputs so when we design characters in relationship to sources we have to work around these limitations if we want to recreate a certain experience.

I think personally the way Vans developed Tiny Buffering is very very useful for SNK and especially KOF. when reading through his code through the characters he gave me to study I realized the way he developed it was to deal with how SNK generally designs their input parsing for KOF. This is a problem for me because that team, the team that worked on Real Bout, the team that worked on Garou, and the various teams behind releases by SNK sub companies like ADK, etc. all programmed different input parsers, which cause all of their games to feel different. SO ideally we'd want to have some sort of base reader that we could modify to suit our needs in a very modular fashion.
Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 04:22:18 am by Bannana
#26  July 05, 2022, 05:09:22 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
From the top of my head, if you hit a button and do the QCF afterward, the move still comes out.
Funny this came up because this is a feature inherent to certain SNK games, most notably Garou, where the buffer for inputs and buttons is so wide you can prep a super 23623A and choose to delay the final 6 because the rest of the inputs are still active.
I had no idea about that. I was curious enough to check a couple FF games and indeed it works like that there. Still seems a lot harder to do on purpose than in the afflicted Mugen characters though. I think the button buffers there decrease even during hitpause.

I guess when I talk about inputs it's about how Capcom does it most of the time since that's where my bias lies. Curiously, Mugen's native system is probably closer to KOF than SF, while the one coming to Ikemen Go is the other way around.

For Ikemen Go's new parser that Gacel is working on, at one point I thought of suggesting making the inputs behave like Mugen through some option, but then thought nobody would care about having that option. Might be worth suggesting afterall, if feasible.

For most use cases standardized buffers in mugen are not bad because it's a pretty volatile environment in the first place, but I remember talking to Vans about certain questions of "accurate" conversions also meaning bugs and quirks, where thinks like buffers might matter more.
In my experience, when people talk about buffers what they essentially want is one like SF5, where links and such are 100 times easier.

I am not yet used to PotS's new system but everything comes out as it should from what ive tested.
Just for trivia the code in the Mugen versions is more like a bionic Mugen buffer, with codes to fix most of its issues, whereas the code in the Ikemen versions replaces it entirely.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.