YesNoOk

Capcom Heroines: Clash of Hearts - Brainstorming Thread (Read 81534 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, April 17, 2020, 02:58:46 pm
Re: Capcom Heroines: Clash of Hearts - Brainstorming Thread
#41  April 29, 2020, 02:29:02 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
For starters, don't try to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes less is more. Think it simple. For example, pick a basic gameplay style you like (a CvS groove for example) and go from there, change a thing or two and see what works and what doesn't.

The same goes for the roster. Start with a base roster of 10 characters, and if everything goes as planned you can add more down the line. If I were to suggest I'd go with three characters from Street Fighter and two from Darkstalkers, leaving five characters from any other franchises you'd want to add.
#42  April 29, 2020, 07:41:56 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm still not feeling great overall, so I'm going to leave this alone until the weekend rolls around. Maybe by then I'll have figured out what I want to do, and which ideas you've given would be best for me to pursue.
#43  April 30, 2020, 10:58:59 pm
    • UK
So I know I said I'd leave this alone until the weekend, but I'm actually feeling quite a lot better now. I've had some time to think and et my emotions under control, and I'd firstly like to apologize to everyone who had to read that melodramatic nonsense. I also PM'd a bunch of people with a similar message, and I'd also like to apologize to those people as well. I won't name names, but they'll know who they are.

Anyway, after some thought, I think I'm going to be sticking with what I've got now, if only because I can't really think of anything better or that wouldn't cause annoyance. As much as I want to start going back to stuff like Super Gem Fighter-style gems or random items, I'd rather not go completely crazy with my first full-game attempt. Maybe my next project, if I ever do one, will have one of those systems, but for now I'll keep it relatively simple and just teach myself the more complex bits. The Hearts system is really the only tricky part, but if I can nail down how to select the different ones then I should be alright.

Based on @Magma MK-II's advice, I'm going to be cutting the initial roster down to about 10 characters. Any future characters will be created later. The initial roster will be:
  • Sakura (Street Fighter Alpha 2) - Shoto
  • Chun-Li (Street Fighter 2) - Whatever Chun-Li is. Rushdown?
  • Rainbow Mika (Street Fighter Alpha 3) - Retooled to be an Alex-style brawler/grappler.
  • Felicia (Darkstalkers) - Rushdown
  • Morrigan (Darkstalkers) - Shoto. I'll be tweaking her moveset quite a lot to make her distinct and unique - the 'Ken' to Sakura's 'Ryu', if that makes sense.
  • Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends) - Heavy Grappler
  • Saki (Quiz Nanairo Dreams) - Zoning/Ranged
  • Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) - Mixed rushdown/weapons
  • ??? (possibly Tessa or Mai-Ling from Red Earth, or Fiona from Haunting Ground).
  • Yuri Sakazaki (Art of Fighting) - Guest Character

Starting this weekend, I'm going to start work on Sakura. She'll be used to refine the systems I want for the game, including details like if I want air blocking/recovery and stuff like that. I'll be using PotS' version as the base, but I'll be using her English voice from SFIV/SFXT/SFV, then adding her Japanese voice later on. I'll also be using my old "Capcom vs. the Universe" Ryu as the template, but with heavy changes to accomodate the new gameplay/

Watch this space. I'll be posting updates either here or in the Projects section at some point.
#44  April 30, 2020, 11:25:07 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Chun-Li is a neutral/footsies based character :)
#45  May 01, 2020, 12:14:57 am
    • UK
Thanks for letting me know :)
#46  May 03, 2020, 01:57:12 am
    • UK
Sakura is in the works right now, with basic movement and gethits in production. I’m basing her on PotS’ version for sprites and animation timings, but looking at LostAvenger’s version for hitboxes because I’m buggered if I’m copying the ones PotS used. Of course, since LostAvenger’s Sakura uses different sprites, I’m having to tweak my versions a bit to accommodate. Hope it doesn’t break things too bad.

I’ve also been mulling over ideas for a possible final boss character. I may have mentioned it before, but I think I’ll use this post to elaborate on them here.
  • Seth (SFV) - In this context, Seth is also after the Power Hearts to use their power for his own ends. The final battle sees him absorb their power into himself to reach a new level of strength.
  • The Queen of Hearts - the true owner/forger/guardian of the Power Hearts. A mysterious individual, possibly a celestial being akin to Ingrid, who lost the Power Hearts and wants them back to prevent discord across the world. She intends to fulfil her promise of granting a miracle to the one who recovers them, but must ascertain their intentions, hence the battle.
  • Unnamed - A monstrous entity formed from hatred, despair and misery that was sealed away with the power of the Hearts. With their scattering, the seal weakens and the being/beast is able to break free.
  • Ingrid - Because if you ever wanted to beat the snot out of her, here’s the place :U

Whatever the case, the final boss would use a unique Empty Heart, which grants then unique systems that the playable Hearts don’t get. I’m considering either power-copying akin to Seth’s V-Skill or teleportation follow-ups to special attacks.

I’m also mulling over the idea of Squigly from Skullgirls as a guest character. She’ll most likely come at a much later date, and when I’m in a much better financial position than I am now so I can commission some CvS-style sprites. But looking at her move list, it seems she’d be the best to adapt to the gameplay style. I’d have to change some inputs, obviously, but even MvC3 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom did that, so I don’t think that’ll raise too many eyebrows.
#47  May 03, 2020, 08:15:27 am
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
I could help you with a blueprint on the final boss, if you want. What this basically means is I conceptualize possible moves for your original character based on their background and the overall game engine. I will send you an example of a blueprint via PM.
#48  May 03, 2020, 06:43:14 pm
    • UK
I could help you with a blueprint on the final boss, if you want. What this basically means is I conceptualize possible moves for your original character based on their background and the overall game engine. I will send you an example of a blueprint via PM.

That'll be interesting, but again, that all depends on who I want the final boss to be. It probably won't be Seth or Ingrid - Ingrid being the creator of Pandora didn't go down well in SFxTK, and Seth's story from SFV doesn't exactly leave him/her in a villainous mastermind position. That means it'll either be the Queen of Hearts or the unnamed shadow being, and I'm kind of torn on which one it should be at the moment.

I'll PM you some details when I finally make my mind up :P
#49  May 03, 2020, 06:49:35 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
There isn't much humor or spice to using an original character as the boss. Ingrid would be easiest due to already existing sprites though.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#50  May 03, 2020, 07:10:37 pm
    • UK
That depends on the kind of character the original boss is :P. Again, this is still very early planning stages, so a lot of this is in the air higher than most kites. I won't have a solid plan until I get a few characters out and most of the roster on lock.

Also, the Projects thread for Sakura exists now! Go look it up here: https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/capcom-heroines-sakura-alpha-189817.0.html
#51  May 03, 2020, 10:58:20 pm
    • UK
UPDATE: So I've decided to make some changes to the currently-available Hearts. I'll post them in the OP in a moment, but I'll detail them here first.

#1 Strong Heart
An agressive, all-out style that makes use of rushdown and enhanced attack power.
  • Heart Power: EX Moves. Allows the character to enhance any one of their special moves. Costs as much as a Super, so should not be abused.
  • Change of Heart: Combo Breaker. A Killer Instinct-styled counterattack that puts the opponent at frame disadvantage.
  • Heart Surge: Rage. The character loses their temper, gaining a ten-second boost in power, but cannot use EX Moves or Super Combos during this time.
#2 Focused Heart
A more cautious, strategic style that enables defensive tactics.
  • Heart Power: Focus Attack. Works very much the same as it does in SFIV, with Focus Cancels costing one segement of bar.
  • Change of Heart: Pushblock. Shoves the opponent away.
  • Heart Surge: Fortify. The character gains Armor for ten seconds and can shrug off around two attacks in succession.

...and that's about it.
#52  May 06, 2020, 09:39:09 pm
    • UK
So Sakura's coming along. Her ground and crouching basics are done. Next, I want to get her air basics and her sole command normal done, put Memo's fancy hitsparks in, then I can do a preview video to show all that off. But I've had a new niggle come to me.

See, so far, Sakura's based on my old custom Ryu, which had a "MvC-Lite" gameplay with some custom elements, such as the Rage Mode and Ultra Combo. A lot of this stuff is being changed for Capcom Heroines, obviously, but I do wonder if I should change the base gameplay so radically and go for the more grounded style I'm proposing. While I did say that this would be an attempt to try to learn to code new things, maybe it'd be better for me to not jump the gun with something new and at least stick to some familiarity.

I've started a poll to decide what people want. If you need more elaboration, I can provide it, but the difference is basically "air combos" vs. "juggles". And that's literally all it is, bar a few small things. Additionally, you can download the beta of my old Ryu here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e9ugkurzxxci89h/Ryu_CvU.zip, so you can see what that's all about.
#53  May 09, 2020, 07:15:44 pm
    • UK
Apologies for the triple-post, but I've made my mind up. I'm sticking with the "MvC-Lite" gameplay.

I know that this is going to upset some people since I said that I was going to do something different with this. But as much as I keep saying that this is a learning experience for me, there's a lot I don't know and not a lot I'm confident about when it comes to these kinds of things. I look at how others have implemented juggle systems in their characters and I actually get scared. I don't understand what I'm seeing, and I don't know how to omplement anything like this myself without either hideously breaking the character or breaking something else. It's far too intimidating for me, honestly.

I'd love for somebody to explain it to me in a manner I can understand and give me examples so that I could implement it myself. But I'm very aware that's not going to happen anytime soon. So I'll keep what I have now, and until I get a better grip on development or a helping hand, I won't immediately change it.

#54  May 25, 2020, 10:49:47 pm
    • UK
Apologies for lack of updates. Been working on other, non-MUGEN things.

Have a WIP lifebar seperation thing to tide you other. I've also got a select screen concept in the works, so keep an eye out for that in the future.

UPDATE: Select Screen concept for y'all.

I know the diagonal select screen thing isn't really possible, but I like the look of this regardless.
Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:26:50 pm by Steel Komodo
New #55  June 13, 2020, 05:13:32 pm
    • UK
Mostly copy-pasted from the WIP topic.

Apologies for the silence, but unfortunately I had one of my 'lost all my mojo' moments. I haven't been working on Sakura for a long time, and to be honest I think I'm doing the thing were I've become disillusioned with this project. I'm not doing anything new or exciting with it aside from the whole "Hearts" thing, and even though I said I wanted to learn to do new things in MUGEN, I'm terrified at the prospect of coding something like that. And furthermore, it's not doing anything radical that all these other MUGEN projects out there aren't doing. I'm just taking the gameplay of an old character I did and throwing on some bullshit.

I'm going to be stepping away from this and re-thinking what I want to do in MUGEN. I have some ideas, but nothing concrete. I'll probably post something in here soon-ish, but until I really want to commit to doing something, I'm not going to touch Fighter Factory or MUGEN in general.

I've also closed the main WIP topic. Sakura's not going to be worked on as of right now. Don't ask me if she's coming out in any form at all, because she won't be. At least, not until I make my mind up on what I'm doing.

For anyone who's still interested, those life bars up there are open-source. Feel free to do whatever you want with them.
Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:23:15 pm by Steel Komodo