YesNoOk

Why Go and Lua? (Read 4386 times)

Started by Where_Is_The_Man!, February 11, 2020, 07:01:21 pm
Share this topic:
Why Go and Lua?
#1  February 11, 2020, 07:01:21 pm
    • USA
So why use Go and LUA? Is it because you're most familiar with these; the available libraries you've experimented with work best with these; Speed; Simple familiarity? Just struck me because I haven't touched either, but am trying to expand my knowledge between languages in general.

A quick Google points me to Mugen being developed primarily in C (I thought its backbone was actually C++). Do Go and LUA provide better interfacing possibilities with C? And, because I know little of C, is the Mugen Code you've encountered truly Procedural or is most of it actually OO?

Trying to decide which languages will be best for me to put on my list
Re: Why Go and Lua?
New #2  February 16, 2020, 10:04:47 pm
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
About the language choice, I'll be honest we have no idea.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the original Ikemen. Suehiro (The creator of the engine) made a custom programing language to program Ikemen on it.
Then he did rewrite it in GO (Ikemen GO), a more normal language.

So there is not really a reason for the language choice.

In Ikemen GO most of the code is Object Oriented.
About Mugen code structure, we can not know it because it's is closed source and can not be decompiled.

MUGEN was originally created in Allegro in C, then migrated to SDL.
The reason why it looks like the backbone is C++ is because it was compiled using the Microsoft Visual C++ comipler. (Also compiles C)
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:52:13 pm by Gacel
Re: Why Go and Lua?
#3  February 19, 2020, 05:24:25 am
    • USA
Woah. This lets me know just how far I still have to go.
While I'm not into game development per se, this makes me really curious about the possibilities for Go especially.