YesNoOk

Indiana Jones (Read 10937 times)

Started by CpnCrossfader, September 10, 2021, 07:22:14 pm
Share this topic:
Indiana Jones
#1  September 10, 2021, 07:22:14 pm
    • UK
Very happy to share with you a project that I have put a lot of time and effort into...
Introducing Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr!   (download link at bottom)

Another totally original pop culture character, using Trevor KOFA (by Evil Orochi? I think) as a starting point for modifying sprites.

Lots of references from all films, including:

QCF a = Staff of Ra (direct the beam of light at your opponent with movement stick) (this move requires half a level of XP to use)
QCB a = Floor Spike Trap. Indiana rolls out of the way to avoid the booby trap, but will his opponent?
QCF x/y = Whip Swing. Swing kick across the screen (inspired by the Cat Woman character).
QCB x = Gun draw. Will he have brought his gun (like in Raiders- 60% chance), or will he have lost it (like in Temple of Doom- 40% chance)?
QCF b = Spear duck. Belloq's tribe are not happy with Dr Jones!
QCF c = Rolling Boulder. Iconic! (requires a level of XP to use).
QCF z = Slide sweep kick (don't forget your hat, Dr Jones)
a + x = Holy Grail. (Take a sip from the carpenter's cup to heal any injuries). You chose.... Wisely.
back, forward, x/y/z = Whip crack
forward, back, x/y/z = grab and pull opponent closer with whip

There are 7 randomised stance animations (lucky dip each time you stand still), 5 randomised different get up animations after trip, and 6 intros, all featuring classic film moments/characters.

There is a palette for each of the films (in order of release). The colours have been separate for arms, but only Temple of Doom is sleeveless.

DOWNLOAD

Updates:
15/9 -
  • Made "Indiana Jones and the _____" title graphics very slightly smaller and repositioned for people with different resolutions. Hard for me to test this- looks fine on my version.
  • Altered hitflag for grab to not allow air, and also set p2 snap position to slightly closer. (suspect there may still be work to be done with this move, but so far tests ok.)
  • Made all strike attacks slightly quicker/smoother.
  • Removed Cross of Coronata stance sound clip, as was bleeding into other move sounds. Potential similar issue with "Penitent Man" kneeling sound clip, but left that one in for now.
  • Made Staff of Ra slightly easier to control (but still not TOO easy!)
  • Added hit sounds for whip swing and light punches.
  • Added a few collision boxes which were missing for a couple of strike frames.
  • Slightly edited the timings on the Spear throw animation.
  • Shaved a (very) little time off the Gun fail animation. Want to keep this risk/reward element.

9/10 -
  • Fixed intro positioning when P2.
  • Slightly increased the contrast in the palettes.
  • Edited the camera tracking and positioning on the defeated slavedriver intro.
  • Flipped the Title text when P2.
Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 09:13:02 pm by CpnCrossfader
Re: Indiana Jones
#2  September 15, 2021, 06:50:56 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
The amount of love to the movies and details here is very impressive. I do not intend to sound harsh, but the character is very messy and buggy. Sounds usually triggered by idles overlap and don't stop when Indy shifts to do anything else, his grab pummel can whiff if he grabs a foe as they are moving, his basic moves are very slow and cannot combo and sometimes unsafe on hit, and Staff of Ra is very, very sensitive and hard to aim. I also personally think "I forgot the gun" outcome shouldn't leave him vulnerable for some long as it is a simple projectile.

Despite all, I greatly respect the references and the "Indiana Jones and the ___ Round" pop-up a bunch. (It shows up extremely large on my Mugen and cropped mostly offscreen.) I would really like to suggest possibly collaborating with a creator to handle coding since the sprites are fairly solid edits of Trevor. Indy has a lot of potential.
#3  September 15, 2021, 09:22:12 am
    • UK
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to review, and also comment on my character!
I would also like to thank you for your polite and constructive criticism, which I'll try to address below:

The sound clips overlapping were intentional, but perhaps misjudged. The problem, I believe, lies with one specific sound; the motif that plays during the randomised stance if Indie pulls out the cross of coronata.
I set the trigger so that it wouldn't play straight away, but that you have to have a few ticks of idle first (this is so that if you stopped for a split second it wouldn't start the sound, despite not seeing the animation), however as it's such a small sound clip I didn't cut it out if you then start moving once it has started. I concede that if you were to go straight from coronata stance to Staff of Ra for example, the sound would have a messy crossover, so I take this on board and will likely remove the coronata sound entirely in my next edit.

Again, the slow attacks were also an intentional decision on my part- it's a theme with a lot of my characters that their melee strikes are a bit slow and clumsy as a way of incentivising the special moves. I think more than ever it fits with this character, because in the films he often relies on improvisation or trick tactics to win fights rather than combat ability.
However, I will reconsider and have a look at speeding them up a little as a middle ground between the two! After all, I do want him to be fun to play!

I'd never created a move like the Staff of Ra before (a steerable projectile), and I totally agree about it being fiddly, however, I liked how it came out so I left it this way- I didn't want it to be overpowered. I think it's easy to hit your opponent with it, but difficult (but not impossible) to track and follow your opponent to get multiple hits. I like this, it takes a bit of skill and makes it fair. I will not reject your suggestion though, I'll have a think and play with it a bit.

I have tested the grab and agree that there are situations where it becomes misaligned. This is not something I immediately know how to fix so if anyone can offer a solution or help with the grab, I'd appreciate it, but I will attempt to fix it myself in the meantime. I assumed it needs to snap the opponent to a certain position on move hit, but this doesn't seem to fix it.

The gun draw, if I'm honest, I don't like the move at all. After the rolling boulder, I'd say it's one of the most iconic scenes from the films, and references two separate films, so this is why I left it in.
I liked the idea of it being successful 60% of the time and getting a cheap hit through a fast projectile, but on 40% of the time it leaves you vulnerable. It balances it out in my opinion. Perhaps it is too long though, you might be right. The thing I worry about is if it is obvious enough that the move has failed, rather than it seem like it's simply not working! To be honest though, I'd rather just scrap this move entirely. I'll have a think.

The text background was intended to start small and end big, like it does in the films, but even when it's big it is still readable and on the screen (like in the screenshot above, although it goes slightly bigger than this) on my computer. I wonder if it's a resolution thing? It sounds like it is a different size for you.

Thanks again for your feedback, I'll likely send an updated file out in the next day or two.
#4  September 15, 2021, 10:47:58 am
    • UK
I've actually managed to find some time this morning so have applied all changes (see bottom of original post) and updated the link.
Please let me know if anyone finds anything else!
#5  October 05, 2021, 03:16:35 am
Didn't know this got an update but I did notice on mine that some times he starts on the wrong side of the opponent before the match starts then all of a sudden when the round starts he’s in the correct position. Didn't see that listed. I will download the update later and see if it does the same thing. Noticed it during a few AI battles but forgot to post

*update* still there after downloading this file
Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 09:29:29 am by dakidbanks
#6  October 05, 2021, 05:00:55 am
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/bn6ymdvllj9lf/Mugen_Stages
I like how his face really resembles Mr.Ford
Good work.
#7  October 07, 2021, 01:06:08 pm
    • UK
Didn't know this got an update but I did notice on mine that some times he starts on the wrong side of the opponent before the match starts then all of a sudden when the round starts he’s in the correct position.

Thanks for the feedback- I have not seen this happen before. I am aware that there is sometimes a jump in x position when the round starts, but not to this extreme extent.
The reason (I believe) is because his intro position for a few of the intros is set to the distance from the edge of the screen rather than the middle. I decided to do this due to the variety in range of widths (and occasionally start positions) that I have in my stages.
For this reason, I don't think I will attempt to change this, seeing as it does not affect gameplay. (Unless anyone knows of a good compromise? Some kind of contextual distancing?)
Thanks for reporting the glitch, I hope that you enjoy using the character nevertheless.

I like how his face really resembles Mr.Ford
Good work.

Thanks! I'm glad that you think so- It was actually quite a challenge to create a likeness in just a handful of pixels  :megusta: I went though a few drafts- the first attempt was awful now when I look back at it.. lol
#8  October 07, 2021, 05:03:53 pm
Yeah he’ll start facing the opponent correctly then shortly before the match starts he glitches behind the opponent. I mean he’s fine once the fight starts it just kinda throws the ambiance of the character off

And I agree, insane work on the face looking like Ford
#9  October 08, 2021, 06:54:15 pm
    • UK
Hmm, well that is different to I was imagining- I haven't seen this happen but will look into it, thanks.
Does it happen to any specific intros, or all?
#10  October 09, 2021, 01:41:40 am
Naw just put him in watch mode about 5-6 times and watch the intros and you’re bound to catch it.

I also know a guy that was willing to make custom palettes for this but he said the colors are all over the place for him lol not sure what that means
#11  October 09, 2021, 08:38:48 am
    • UK
My concern is that it might be how the character is interacting with each person's local settings of resolution/stage width, because obviously I have tested all of the intros many times in the process of making the character and never seen the glitch. If this is the case it will clearly be a lot harder to fix.

Happy to assist with the palettes- please tell your friend to get in touch if any questions!

I separated all of the colours out and loosely based the existing palettes on each of the films, including old Harrison from crystal skull (if that even counts as an Indiana Jones film... Lol).
However, if I was to start again I think I would add a little more contrast to the colours.
#12  October 09, 2021, 11:41:57 am
I’d like to see a darker colored version of pal 1 but that’s no biggie

Onto the intro glitch, if it’s any help, I haven’t seen it happen when Jones is P1… I’ve only seen it when he is P2.
#13  October 09, 2021, 12:32:53 pm
    • UK
Ahhh... believe it or not I never thought to test the P2-focused positioning- just thought it would be the same for either side.
That's really helpful, thank you!
#14  October 09, 2021, 09:07:22 pm
    • UK
I believe I have fixed it now-
Rather stupidly, I had thoroughly tested the P1 intros, but not even looked at P2.
File now updated- changes added to original post.

dakid, thanks a lot for your help!
#15  October 10, 2021, 06:51:08 pm
  • Why,
Mugen 1.0/1.1... Ikemen GO?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#16  October 11, 2021, 12:10:42 am
    • UK
I'm sorry, I really don't know much about the different version compatibilities...
My game version is 1.1 beta 1 (and the character runs fine, and was designed to be used in this game). However, when I have looked at the character file just now, which was originally a modified version of Trevor KOFA, it says 1.0 (I haven't changed this section, I don't know if it does anything? It works so I just left it).
#17  October 27, 2021, 06:08:07 am
  • Racing Game Enthusiast
  • Formerly known as SumirekoUsami
    • USA
Indiana Jones isn't very good, I would honestly say he's just really messy.

First off, the sprite work is a mess, it's just Trevor but with Indiana's head slapped on, the palette work is also awful, the shading is completely screwed up.
Second, the intros for P2 are still a bit broken, as the camera is never centered at Round start, this isn't very good at all.
Third, no sounds for attacking, the silence being broken by a hitsound isn't pleasant at all, and it seems that sounds are missing everywhere, why does the Staff of Ra use a swoosh sound for hit??
Fourth, the hitboxing, it's a disaster, especially with the Stand hard kick, the entire body is hitboxed!! Many animations are missing boxes, legs, arms, head, hell some attacks ended up missing due to gaps in the boxes, since the legs are not connected to the torso!
Fifth, broken grab, if you grab someone from the left side, they are behind Indiana Jones, so he's punching thin air, but when grabbing from the right, their position is fixated in front of Indiana Jones.
Six, Prop Boulder, if you watched Indiana Jones, you'd clearly know that BOULDERS DO NOT BOUNCE, THEY ARE ALSO VERY VERY LOUD!!! It's a fake boulder, pretty much.
Seven, Spike. Why does it still hurt after being stuck out for several seconds?! Touching the side makes the target just fly onto their back and take damage
Eight, awful transparency, specifically the gun, for a frame, the bullet fire effect is completely screwed up, with an orange background and completely scrambled colors.
Nine, awkward rope swing. It honestly feels like I'm playing a DOS Game when I swing on the rope, it's so clunky and very rough, you should've tried looking at Spiderman for how to do it.
Ten, lack of cropping. Every single sprite here is uncropped, taking up valuable space as a result, it's not hard to do, Fighter Factory allows you to do it with 2 clicks!

Just a guy who has a big passion for Racing Games, who happened to stumble upon MUGEN one year...
#18  October 27, 2021, 09:22:11 am
    • UK
Ok, I'm done.
You possibly mean well and I am being sensitive, but I'm reading this as rude, or at the very least harsh/abrupt. It's like a handful of valid points mixed in with aggressive language like "mess", "disaster", and block capitals/exclamation marks. I disagree that the situation is that bad. Also you do me a disservice by saying it's Trevor with a new head. I palette-separated the arms from every sprite and drew a lot of the sprites entirely from scratch using the Trevor art style as a guide.
The boulder wouldn't be much of a good move if it was film-authentic? How would you possibly dodge a giant heavy boulder? I tried to mix the film content with the platform to make it fun. Likewise with the spikes. I know you wouldn't be hurt by touching some spikes that were not moving but from the game perspective I wanted it to damage/trip you and make you avoid it. I'm not trying to recreate a film here, I'm trying to make an entirely original fun character based on the film content.

I want to know if something doesn't work and I do want to improve my work, but me posting content on here is not an open invitation to roast it with subjective opinions like I personally insulted you by daring to share some free characters, my intention was always just to pay back some content as I've taken a lot in the past.

It's a hobby for me and I think I'll just keep my work to myself, or other forums from now on. It likely comes across as sulking, but after the comments on my mickey character, and now this, I just don't think I have the same attitude as the rest of the (vocal) community on here. To be clear, any bugs that are not subjective opinions have mostly always been well-received and corrected; I have always welcomed constructive feedback that was given politely, and it's great that you all have such high standards for work. Telling me that my work is a disaster and is awful does not inspire me.

I'll continue to download your fantastic work but I think I'll keep my stuff for my private use. I see little incentive to do otherwise.
As a token of my good intentions, I welcome anyone to edit/use my existing work in any way that they may believe they are improving it, should they want to.
I wish you all well.
Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:35:03 am by CpnCrossfader
#19  October 27, 2021, 09:37:12 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
the feedback is meant to make you improve not make you upset and want to stop sharing things. I know both of the people giving you feedback and I can tell you the feedback they give is for IMPROVEMENT not for insulting you need to understand it is for YOUR benefit. Would you rather people just not share what they think about your character? I personally would love to see Indiana Jones actually done justice you have nice ideas but you gotta improve upon them thats all. You can't get this upset over a little feedback thats not the way to be man.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#20  October 27, 2021, 09:46:19 am
    • UK
Please read my message, that is not what I said. I have always fixed bugs. And my work has without doubt improved in the past based on constructive feedback given from this forum. I think I must be too old fashioned.