YesNoOk

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus (Read 1388928 times)

Started by Umezono, February 26, 2021, 04:54:53 pm
Share this topic:
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus
#1  February 26, 2021, 04:54:53 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Wish I could embed tweets here!

It will be a full remake with stylized chibi graphics, retaining the top down 2D gameplay of the source games.

They simultaenously announced an open-world "prequel" of the Gen 4 games, titled Pokemon Legends Arceus.

Both will be heading to Switch, with the remakes slated for late (q4?) 2021
Re: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl + Pokemon Legends Arceus
#2  February 26, 2021, 04:57:45 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Spam isn't allowed so just imagine a message with an elongated "AAAAAAAHHHHH" in bolded italics.

My childhood is FINALLY BACK. And if these games suck, I quit Pokemon.
#3  February 26, 2021, 05:10:16 pm
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Can't wait to see what kind of dumbed down mechanics these madlads will inject this time.

I expect Sinnoh remakes to not carry new Pokemon post Unova just to remain authentic.
#4  February 26, 2021, 05:58:57 pm
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
I hope these new remakes will be good.
Also there's a Breath of the Wild but with Pokemons.
This is fate.
#5  February 26, 2021, 09:56:50 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
I'm just sad that nobody is talking about the New Pokemon Snap.... I'm a huge fan of the original Pokemon Snap for the N64 and always wanted a sequel.
#6  February 27, 2021, 01:39:35 am
    • Brazil
So, the chibi look they went for in the remakes looks really shit, but the Legends one looks pretty cool, using stealth to catch Pokemon you actually see in the wild seems really interesting.
#7  February 27, 2021, 02:03:18 am
    • Mexico
One o' these games better have a catchable Darkrai/Shaymin event. That's all I'm asking for, and for patches to program the less than two hundred creatures into SS.
#8  February 27, 2021, 02:23:32 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
The Diamond/Pearl remake share a lot more in common stylistically with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee than Sword/Shield.  Interesting.  There's pluses and minuses to that, the more compact world of Let's Go allowed much more detail to shine through its towns than SwSh's mostly surface-level looks and barren cities beyond the one major copypaste steampunk city and its copy.  To say nothing of the actual content within them of course, but SwSh's cons are long and illustrious and long-since well documented so moving on.

One of SwSh's pros over Let's Go and at first glance here is this shading thing they got going on with the character and monster models, the lighting was simply admittedly better in SwSh.  Let's Go looked....I dunno how to describe it.  Like they were all claymation?  Similar outcome seems to be the case here, they're cel-shaded but missing the harsh shadows or outlines so they look too soft.

The super-deformed chibi style probably helps them retain as much a 1-to-1 recreation of the overworld and sprites as they were on the DS.  I guess take your pick on preference, as faithful as can be to recreating the last games like this is doing or sometimes awkward upscaling to the full body models like Let's Go did.  I'm not crazy over the look, but I can see why they did it and it's benefits gameplay-wise.  Also they look like little McDonalds plastic toys now, which I'm sure is a boon Game Freak and co. just LOVE the opportunity to sell toys of.

I'm still rather burned by SwSh's whole....everything, so trying to look at this as positive as I can.  I'd say the smart thing to do now is to see what was removed or changed via the fine print before the game comes out.  Something like adding raid dens to Diamond/Pearl, not monumental to me but overall a good thing.  Something like sticking to their guns and having permanent dex removals, this time under the guise of being too faithful to gen 4's roster?  Less good.  Me, my shot in the dark possible good outcome would be if they made some new Sinnoh regional variants of some post-gen 4 monsters to show up.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:29:18 am by Long John Killer
#9  February 27, 2021, 03:24:44 am
    • USA
If they give us the original Sinnoh dex with only two fire types I’m gonna die inside.
#10  February 27, 2021, 03:31:04 am
    • Brazil
I mean, the other remakes kept the original dexes, but had additional events/areas in which you could catch Pokémon from other generations, I assume the same will happen in this case.
#11  February 27, 2021, 03:59:11 am
    • Chile
But that implies that players will be stuck with these firetypes until the very end or post game. Not a smart move.

I wonder at what degree will they change the original game.
#12  February 27, 2021, 04:01:18 am
    • USA
The other remakes were before SwSh.  A lot of assumptions over quality control and general direction were tossed out the window with the changes it brought.  The hopeful wish would be yes, you play Diamond/Pearl to play Diamond/Pearl, you get their pokedex for the main content and then you get the postgame national dex covering the rest.  Trade in others early if you need that non-native Fire-type, but don't get a lore entry on them before beating the game.  Less fun, more compromise, you get Sun and Moon's deal of not writing up new info on all thousand-so of the Pokemon and they don't get dex entries but you can still use them.  Though we never got a straight answer out of Game Freak, I believe the notion we're still holding on to for SwSh's missing monsters is the time constraint when porting the models to Switch and not all of them worked as intended.  Why they gave the excuses they did, who knows, you'd have the ask them in person I suppose.  But now, having significant time since SwSh's DLC, I would hope this is no longer an issue and we can get the last missing bunch squared away.

Something else occurs to me.  Not nearly to the extent Zelda puts a focus on theirs, but Pokemon has branching timelines they kinda just leave as a point of interest in the background.  Three as I recall?  Haven't needed to think of them in a while.  You have the "main" one, following each main title of each gen besides where a third entry overwrites it like Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire.  You have the Mega timeline, which I think only covers ORAS's weird time placement of having Mega Stones present in Honen.  And you have Let's Go's timeline, which personally is by far the weirdest because Let's Go wants to be both 1996 and 2018 at the same time, retelling Yellow's story whilst Red/Blue had already happened and the events are happening all over again with nearly clones of Red and not-Green/Leaf but genderswapt Red.  But they also have Leaf appear in the game, as she did as Green prior to FireRed/LeafGreen.  And they reference the manga, which is wholly separate from the games.  The Let's Go games were freaking weird when you think of them more than the developers probably did.

Anyways, I'm just curious if this will attempt the same deal to bring dynamax to Sinnoh?  Or hell, Megas to return to the Mega timeline, that'd be somewhat interesting to refer to ORAS events again.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:29:27 am by Long John Killer
#13  February 27, 2021, 04:46:26 am
    • Brazil
I'm not sure if they'll bring Dynamax, I don't know why, but it doesn't look like the area in which the protagonist is battling was meant to house Dynamax. I don't know if they'd bring back Megas, though, this is still a Gen 8 game, and it would likely end up in conflict with Dynamax.
#14  February 27, 2021, 04:55:08 am
    • USA
I hope they bring in something new to counteract the apparent complete faithfulness.

I will be thoroughly disappointed if this is the laziest remake... this is my damn childhood, I didn't wait 14 years (or 7 since ORAS) for a hunk of junk.
#15  February 27, 2021, 04:57:36 am
    • Brazil
Considering how ridiculously lazy SwSh was, I advise you to contain your hopes. At this point, I don't expect much from Game Freak in anything they do.
#16  February 27, 2021, 05:05:20 am
    • USA
Considering how ridiculously lazy SwSh was, I advise you to contain your hopes. At this point, I don't expect much from Game Freak in anything they do.

Considering this is my childhood it's very hard to keep my hopes in check.

I've already made the decision though that if this game really is a complete failure, I'm gonna be leaving the Pokemon series behind. The past several years have already been disappointing and I kept trying to be incredibly optimistic about the games but they've really all just let me down. Call me entitled but it's not fair that my childhood gets the shaft while every other prior generation gets a good (or in ORAS' case, passable) remake lol

Fingers crossed a miracle happens... fingers crossed that against all miserable odds, my hopes have not all been pointless.
#17  February 27, 2021, 05:10:09 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
^If this remake ends up being a big success, then this proves Gamefreak is the main problem with the way recent Pokémon RPGs have taken a dip in quality.

I'm not sure if they'll bring Dynamax, I don't know why, but it doesn't look like the area in which the protagonist is battling was meant to house Dynamax. I don't know if they'd bring back Megas, though, this is still a Gen 8 game, and it would likely end up in conflict with Dynamax.
Dynamax ain't returning.  Lorewise, it's been told in SWSH that this only occurs in Galar.  I really really hope they stick to it.

Megas I can see returning except Audino and Diancie.  Metagame will probably go back to Gen 7 while maintaining changes made for Gen 8 including the new moves.  No Z-moves also.

At least with DP remakes, the devs are completely different despite Masuda still overseeing the project.  So I have hope this remake will be worth it.

Legends on the other hand may look visually appealing but I expect Gamefreak to make it viscerally easy and cut corners all around.  Frame drops popping in that trailer is the first red flag.  Music will be a killer tho.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:13:31 am by Kirishima
#18  February 27, 2021, 05:11:15 am
    • USA
Yo.  As someone heavily critical of Game Freak's deception and turnout, chill.  The previous remakes have been good, this is literally the announcement of this one's existence and art direction.  Wait until more information before writing it off.

So I heard that ILCA is making this remake, not The Pokemon Company.  Odd.  Well, they made Pokemon Home, so I guess expect more streamlined integration with that app.  I also hear ILCA also did a bunch of work for Metal Gear Rising Revengence and Nier: Automata.

Looking forward to the secret postgame chapter with the silver-haired sword user cutting down skyscrapper-sized robots while in questionable attire.  Or in this case I guess going mano e mano against Arceus.  Not entirely sure how sarcastic and joking I am, now that I write it out.  Now I want us to rebel against the game's fated credits and fight for the real meme ending.

Edit: The lore holding dynamax just to Galar is, like, the first thing I can wholeheartedly expect them to throw out the window where there's profit to be made.  Especially as it's lore can be boiled down to "Space rock radiation landed here by chance", that can be handwaved to literally the entire planet.  Hell, it can be chained to tie in Mega Rayquaza's lore being essentially the same if they so cared.
Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:16:41 am by Long John Killer
#19  February 27, 2021, 05:16:41 am
    • USA
This is gonna sound really weird but this is a weird nitpick I'm gonna have:

Battle Frontier returning would be legendary but considering how faithful these games claim to be, I assume only the Battle Tower will be returning. As such, assuming they retain Palmer as the superboss, if they use the Cynthia theme for him again and not the Platinum/HGSS Frontier Brain theme... I'm gonna be very disappointed lol

There's such a thing as being TOO faithful... I'm giving these remakes a chance but considering GameFreak's track record I have, of course, valid skepticism.

Inb4 these games are as slow as DP too, I swear to god if surfing is that slow I'm gonna shank a bitch
#20  February 27, 2021, 05:21:38 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
looks 10 times better in sprites than 3D models, I bought a nintendo switch to play the pokemon next gen but Im getting this :/ its so sad