YesNoOk

Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have to leave.  (Read 3609 times)

Started by RedDragonCats17, April 20, 2022, 08:38:57 pm
Share this topic:
Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have to leave.
#1  April 20, 2022, 08:38:57 pm
  • Part-Time MUGEN creator
    • USA
    • Skype - reddragoncats17
    • reddragoncats17.weebly.com/
Here's the story: My parents had a conversation with me about a lot of things, they've been finding out about a lot of the things that I've been doing behind their back and I have admitted about some of the things I did, one of them being fan games and MUGEN. Well they don't want me to do that because of the same reason a lot of people say: Making fan games is illegal and there is a risk in making them.

I've been trying to convince them to let me continue making fan games because I do firmly believe that they are more innocent than what most people believe them to be. But they know the copyright law by the letter, and if I were to explain to them about MUGEN and you guys, they'll think that I'm hanging out with a bunch of criminals and that will put me and them at risk.

So I'm sorry, but I've made the decision to leave, not only to protect myself, but protect them as well. That's why I left the Discord. All of my projects have been canceled, I'm not going to pass them to you, and I'm going to remove all the stages in my Mediafire.

Please don't lash out at them or me, they're only doing it in place of love and they want me safe and happy.

It's been fun while it lasted, but goodbye.
Re: Sorry guys, but I'm gonna have to leave.
#2  April 20, 2022, 09:04:48 pm
How bizarre, what kind of 23 year lets his parents control his life like that? Maybe your problem isn't Mugen.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3  April 20, 2022, 09:50:25 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
How bizarre, what kind of 23 year lets his parents control his life like that? Maybe your problem isn't Mugen.

A parent can sit down and give a talk to his/her child at any stage of their life. The parents just had a serious conversation with the OP, not that they're taking away his freakin computer and cutting his internet. The OP listened and agreed. That's completely fine.

@OP, if you think you're better off with MUGEN staying out of your life, more power to you. Your parents are absolutely right to voice their concern regarding your future and unless you become employed at a 2D sprite-oriented gaming company, they are partially right.
I suggest you find a better place to use your talents in an environment that doesn't create a legal mess like MUGEN. Of course, you can always do it as a hobby.

Good luck and farewell.
#4  April 20, 2022, 10:22:36 pm
Treating Mugen as a hobby wasn't an option, I guess.
#5  April 20, 2022, 11:01:44 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Isn't MUGEN treated as fan art by most of the major developers? I thought it wasn't an issue of legality, or more accurately, it is such a legal grey area that you would never run into trouble if you weren't trying to monetize it.
#6  April 20, 2022, 11:51:58 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Isn't MUGEN treated as fan art by most of the major developers? I thought it wasn't an issue of legality, or more accurately, it is such a legal grey area that you would never run into trouble if you weren't trying to monetize it.

Yes, most companies like Capcom or SNK don't care about MUGEN as they know most of the games are passion projects made by avid fans. I've also seen a MUGEN content creator get employed by Neople (the company behind Dungeon Fighter Online) by using his works as his portfolio.

That being said, I can see it being a really gray area in the legal department. Companies could press charges for people who "stole" their assets for personal use and with NFTs becoming a thing in 2022, MUGEN could also be affected by this trend. However, I doubt any company cares that much about MUGEN so I don't fully understand why the OP is so adamant about keeping it just as a hobby.

But it's his choice, so.
#7  April 21, 2022, 02:14:49 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
if create characters on mugen was iligal long time ago any web site about that wouldnt be online today
#8  April 21, 2022, 07:27:03 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
The "Illegality" of such projects is not a real problem. Actually if you don't sell these games, there is no real problem.

I'm a bit surprised a 20+ guy have to change his way of life because his parents want to.
You live in a "free country".

But I suppose in some famillies, parents have a total control on their kinds even when they reach 40-50 years old.
#9  April 21, 2022, 08:25:20 am
  • I'm behind you!!!
I think if ANYONE would react poorly to having characters from their IP's used it'd be Nintendo. Otherwise I don't think any fighting game company would care too much so long as you're not making money off of it.